PDA

View Full Version : USD and WIU have gone from "probably wins" to "very hard games"

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 01:16 AM
At the start of the year, many of us penciled South Dakota and Western Illinois as games we had a good chance of winning. Goes to show how quickly things can change because both of those games look very tough!

South Dakota - Beat the Gophers and have one of the most dynamic offenses we will see all year. Not only are they ranked, they are coming in with the confidence they can beat us. They will bring thousands of fans from Vermillion and will be fired up since they can't go to the Playoffs. Sound familiar?

Western Illinois - 2-1. Beat Valpo 45-0 and held them to 130 yards of offense. Lost to Purdue by 10 points but outgained them. Destroyed Sam Houston 56-14! After they beat Indiana State next week they will be 3-1 and probably ranked.

I'm tellin' ya fans... we need to show up in full force for these 2 games or we're going to end up 2-3 heading into the "tough" part of our schedule. That means we need to buy tickets, actually cheer, and don't leave at halftime. If your a season ticket holder, it would really help if you actually go to the game or give the tickets to your buddies because having a blue seat doesn't help out the team at all. Crank it up!!

CaBisonFan
09-20-2010, 01:28 AM
It was a really interesting weekend in the MVFC...and include the SD game at MN the week before. Wow

WIU must be pretty good. And what about Illinois State. And Montana's start. Amazing results.

It makes the conference look pretty wide open...as though the team that actually improves the most could win it...including us. Pipedream perhaps...but...

BisoninNWMN
09-20-2010, 01:34 AM
I think our defense will do a much better job against USD compared with the Gophers. That said, our offense needs to sustain drives.....and we need a running game to develop.

I don't think DJ is the answer but the coaches didn't put Voit in much.

Bison win!!

CaBisonFan
09-20-2010, 01:36 AM
I don't think DJ is the answer but the coaches didn't put Voit in much.

Bison win!!

I agree. Voit is a highly-underused gamer. He's always been the guy getting a few carries and doing big things. He's the Majeski of this era.

TheBisonator
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
South Dakota - They will bring thousands of fans from Vermillion

This made me spit Gatorade all over my monitor.

onbison09
09-20-2010, 01:55 AM
I agree. Voit is a highly-underused gamer. He's always been the guy getting a few carries and doing big things. He's the Majeski of this era.

Good analogy. I agree.

onbison09
09-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Yeah maybe hundreds but thousands? I guess I could be proven wrong. Should be a fun one.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 01:56 AM

Maybe actually having a large amount of south dakota fans can help pump our fans up. They had a nice loud crowd at the Gophers game and are fired up. It's a big game for them.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 01:59 AM
It was a really interesting weekend in the MVFC...and include the SD game at MN the week before. Wow

WIU must be pretty good. And what about Illinois State. And Montana's start. Amazing results.

It makes the conference look pretty wide open...as though the team that actually improves the most could win it...including us. Pipedream perhaps...but...

SDSU started 0-2 and are struggling on offense. SIU lost and doesn't look unbearable. UNI lost too.

Grizzled
09-20-2010, 02:24 AM
But I thought the Great West conference was a garbage conference. That is what I have been hearing from a lot of people on here since I have been saying USD would be a tough game since we scheduled them.

56BISON73
09-20-2010, 02:31 AM
But I thought the Great West conference was a garbage conference. That is what I have been hearing from a lot of people on here since I have been saying USD would be a tough game since we scheduled them.

It is. It was a crap conference when NDSU was in it. It was a place for teams in transition to play. But that doesnt mean there couldnt be a few good teams in it.:D

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 02:33 AM

Just like were better than we were last year. So are we. I always said it would be a tough game but putting 41 on the Gophers reaffirmed it. This is going to be a GREAT game! What's the last time 2 formal rivals met... both after knocking off FBS teams?

Tatanka
09-20-2010, 02:38 AM

Understood. But seriously, who gave two shits for the Yotes before they stunned the world at Minnesota this year? Yeah, that's right, nobody. OK. Maybe a few. I wasn't one of them. I am now.

lakesbison
09-20-2010, 04:52 AM
thousands of fans??? try 300.

Usd ISNT that good, and NDSU should be 20+ point favorites and OWN these guys at home.

what is WRONG with you people??? USD is a joke!!

DjKyRo
09-20-2010, 05:07 AM
thousands of fans??? try 300.

Usd ISNT that good, and NDSU should be 20+ point favorites and OWN these guys at home.

what is WRONG with you people??? USD is a joke!!

They beat an FBS team on the road. After a 3-8 season and doing the same, what would you say if other fanbases said something like "NDSU is a joke!" ?

We were in transition once too and didn't do too badly.

lakesbison
09-20-2010, 05:31 AM
NO. NDSU IS HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD THAN MOST OF YOU ON THIS BOARD. SEROIUSLY>

NDSU is ABOVE usd in every way possible.

if we lose, close down the program.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 05:44 AM
NO. NDSU IS HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD THAN MOST OF YOU ON THIS BOARD. SEROIUSLY>

NDSU is ABOVE usd in every way possible.

if we lose, close down the program.

Lakes, I like your posts and love your passion but if we lose to USD we need to "close down the program?" You've got a serious case of verbal diarrhea. You're uncontrollably spewing crap from your mouth.

Twentysix
09-20-2010, 06:04 AM
At the start of the year, many of us penciled South Dakota and Western Illinois as games we had a good chance of winning. Goes to show how quickly things can change because both of those games look very tough!

South Dakota - Beat the Gophers and have one of the most dynamic offenses we will see all year. Not only are they ranked, they are coming in with the confidence they can beat us. They will bring thousands of fans from Vermillion and will be fired up since they can't go to the Playoffs. Sound familiar?

Western Illinois - 2-1. Beat Valpo 45-0 and held them to 130 yards of offense. Lost to Purdue by 10 points but outgained them. Destroyed Sam Houston 56-14! After they beat Indiana State next week they will be 3-1 and probably ranked.

I'm tellin' ya fans... we need to show up in full force for these 2 games or we're going to end up 2-3 heading into the "tough" part of our schedule. That means we need to buy tickets, actually cheer, and don't leave at halftime. If your a season ticket holder, it would really help if you actually go to the game or give the tickets to your buddies because having a blue seat doesn't help out the team at all. Crank it up!!

To be fair Valpo lost to a D2 team 50 to 7, the SAME d2 team that lost to ISU-B by 50....Idk how much cred that gives WIU and Purdue barely beat Ball state who also lost to liberty. SHSU is terrible aswell.

WIU Should be much improved, mostly because they dont have to deal with a coach being fired/quiting in the middle of the season, but im not sold they will be a contender or even better than us for that matter.

Twentysix
09-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Lakes, I like your posts and love your passion but if we lose to USD we need to "close down the program?" You've got a serious case of verbal diarrhea. You're uncontrollably spewing crap from your mouth.

lol i like lakes but gotta agree. A W by 1 against USD would be great. Losing isnt the end of the world, but it will feel like crap just like losing to UNI did.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 06:31 AM
To be fair Valpo lost to a D2 team 50 to 7, the SAME d2 team that lost to ISU-B by 50....Idk how much cred that gives WIU and Purdue barely beat Ball state who also lost to liberty. SHSU is terrible aswell.

WIU Should be much improved, mostly because they dont have to deal with a coach being fired/quiting in the middle of the season, but im not sold they will be a contender or even better than us for that matter.

All you can do and see what scores USD won by. They beat the Gophers and spanked SHSU. They won decisively. (We lost to SHSU last year)

Liberty is actually a really good FCS team. They are in the Big South and up until this year they were in a non autobid conference. They won their conference 3 years in a row and have competed with or beaten Southland or CAA Conference teams as good as William & Mary.

Twentysix
09-20-2010, 06:38 AM
All you can do and see what scores USD won by. They beat the Gophers and spanked SHSU. We lost to SHSU last year.

Liberty is actually a really good FCS team. They are in the Big South and up until this year they were in a non autobid conference. They won their conference 3 years in a row and have competed with or beaten Southland or CAA Conference teams as good as William & Mary.

Point is purdue like kansas and like minnesota are not great teams this year.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Point is purdue like kansas and like minnesota are not great teams this year.

Yeah but you can't take anything away from NDSU and USD for beating them. And for a Western Illinois team that finished in last place a year ago, it's a major improvement to almost knock of Purdue from the Big Ten, no matter how bad they are. Heck, Youngstown had a chance to go into half time with a lead over Penn State

Common opponents work to a point but consider this...

Southern Illinois got spanked by Illinois and Illinois almost lost to Northern Illinois, the same team who were in position to lose to the Sioux on the last play of the game.

DjKyRo
09-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Contrary to Lakes' opinion and vast football knowledge, USD is not a bad team. I anticipate a victory but I don't suspect it to be an easy one.

mgbison
09-20-2010, 08:52 AM
We should not lose to usd, EVER. Have you been to the Dakota Dome or Vermillion?

Special teams could be the difference maker in this one. Hopefully Smith can have some big returns and shorten the field for our offense.

bisonmike2
09-20-2010, 02:28 PM
We should not lose to usd, EVER. Have you been to the Dakota Dome or Vermillion?

Special teams could be the difference maker in this one. Hopefully Smith can have some big returns and shorten the field for our offense.

Vermillion is not a D1 town, and the Dakotadome is not a D1 facility but I would argue that neither is Brookings and Coughlin-Alumni. And our recent record against those guys is too great.

Facts
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM

In all seriousness... is Voity now the 3rd string QB??

Tatanka
09-20-2010, 02:42 PM
In all seriousness... is Voity now the 3rd string QB??

:eek: :cool: