PDA

View Full Version : Give the ball to Ryan Smith

yellowstreak
09-19-2010, 06:00 AM
I don't agree Smith should be taking all the carries, but I do think Vigen needs to find ways to get him the ball more often. It's not like the Bison have an over abundance of playmakers on offense.

If Steffes, Paschall or Roehl were still around, it would make sense for one RB to play 80-90% of the downs. The Bison no longer have any one RB at the same level as Steffes, Paschall or Roehl. They should be running by committee. Mix it up with more runs by nimble guys like Smith and more runs by big guys like Vandal. It would allow McNorton to line up as a slot WR again a few times a game. More importantly, it could energize a terrible running game.

BisoninNWMN
09-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Good point

It was fun last night waiting for him to take off on the punt returns. He is fast. Only a matter of time before he scores on a kick-off or punt return.

Nice to have a weapon like that.

GoRams
09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
More importantly, it could energize a terrible running game.

I definently think that this may be something good to try, but I think any running back we have is going to struggle until the O-line starts playing better.

Grizzled
09-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I think the coaches have been planning to work him in the offense this year. Both in the slot and in the backfield.

bisoningrandforks
09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
good point yellowstreak!!....have to get smith and sigers involved in the running game, end arounds, misdirection something!....DJ plays hard but has no speed and dances too much. voigt good for short yardage....YES O-LINE MUST IMPROVE!!

ndsubison1
09-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Hopefully with the shuffling of our OL things will start to improve. Could take a little bit to mesh and get use to assignments. I like moving Richard to Guard

westnodak93bison
09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
The O line struggles tells me how good Buckman and Foster really are.

CaBisonFan
09-19-2010, 07:30 PM
How many times did we run up the middle on first down?

Not hard to defend. Not easy to block when the D knows exactly what play is coming. So we give up first down on almost every series.

Ryan 'is' impressive. I'd like to see Voit get some 'real' carries. Running back by committee with DJ & Voit. Little flair passes to Ryan & Sigers. Run Sigers to the A-gap 2 or 3 times a game to see if he can pop through.

But first down...wow. We simply must get out of that routine.

HerdBot
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
good point yellowstreak!!....have to get smith and sigers involved in the running game, end arounds, misdirection something!....DJ plays hard but has no speed and dances too much. voigt good for short yardage....YES O-LINE MUST IMPROVE!!

Voight has more straight line speed than DJ does but less wiggle. With DJ's speed we're not going to see any long runs because he dances instead of blasting through the hole and is never in the open field. I would give Voight more touches because he seems to be a more complete player with straigh line speed, power, and blocking. Maybe not as flashy but until we see DJ be more consistant he deserves a chance.

HandoEX
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Morgan State's punt coverage is not good. They gave up 32 yards per punt against Maryland including a 70 yarder and in 3 games are giving up 27 yards per punt return. Not discounting Smith as he looked great, but I don't think he's ready for carrying the ball against Mo Valley defenses.

stevdock
09-20-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't think the running game is DJ's fault alone right now, because the line is a mess right now. But I heard last year from a former Bison QB that is held in very high regard that DJ's main issue is not the dancing he does but he does not see the field as well as he should. If you can't see the hole, you obviously can't run through it.