PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts...

HerdBot
09-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Defense was great again. Due to some horrible offense in the 1st quarter they were on the field way too much. We lost the TOP by 15 minutes.

Special teams were outstanding, except for the missed field goal.

Offense started out slow but finished strong against a good defense. The offensive stats? I don't put much stock into them because we were working with a great short field due to great returns from Ryan Smith, phenomenal punting, ridiculous penalties on Morgan State, and a short field on a pick.

I was very excited about Jensen. Early on he struggled but that is to be expected since it was his first game and was probably shocked to be playing. But once he settled in, he looked great! He was decisive whether to run or pass. He's got a rocket. Great running threat. But more importantly, he is better at throwing downfield. He didn't take many hits because he got rid of the ball quickly. Give this kid some time to prepare and he could be very good.

Running game? Weak in the fist half. Can't give all the blame to the o line. Not impressed with Vigens calls and DJ seemed to dance too much. Really picked it up in the 2nd half. A few of his runs were tremendous.

Twentysix
09-19-2010, 06:12 AM
All i have to say is this.

I hope that this was exactly the oil in the machine our team needed.

At the end of the game we looked like a whole new animal.

I hope we can build on this in practice and take the yotes to the woodshed.

Jay
09-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Where is Voit? Beginning the season Craiger said we would go two deep at RB... DJ and Voit... very few others would see carries. Voit is non-existent... Sigers is now our #2. What happened?

lakesbison
09-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Gotta beat Usd by 20+ no ifs and or buts

BisoninNWMN
09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
All i have to say is this.

I hope that this was exactly the oil in the machine our team needed.

At the end of the game we looked like a whole new animal.

I hope we can build on this in practice and take the yotes to the woodshed.

THIS

USD will be confident....Bison better be ready!!

GO BISON

A1pigskin
09-19-2010, 12:25 PM
What Bisoninnwmn said.

rutlandbison
09-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't think DJ is the answer to the tailback position. We need somebody the other team has to respect. DJ just doesnt seem to hit the hole hard enough. I just don't think he's it though.

semobison
09-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, offensively we have one good qtr. under our belt. Lets hope the push the O line was getting in the 4th qtr. is a sign of good things to come. I am thinking we may have to be a throw to set up the run kind of team?

BisoninNWMN
09-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think DJ is the answer to the tailback position. We need somebody the other team has to respect. DJ just doesnt seem to hit the hole hard enough. I just don't think he's it though.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS

It opened up for him in the 2nd half but I think it was because the passing game was better.

DJ dropped passes, dances too much, got stripped of the ball and doesn't hit the hole. Were was Voit? Wish the coaches would give him a chance.

Morgan had 9-10 in the box at times......passing game needs to be there for us to win.

bisoneer
09-19-2010, 02:21 PM
We thought the 1st half stunk except for the last 1:22 when we got the TD on the fade to Holloway... The second half started slow but Jensen got comfy and then our O took off which was great to see, best offensive half in quite some time (2 yrs?).

How is Mohler's health? Saw him on the big screen and it didnt look good... Yes maybe more reps for Voit at RB would help in the early part of the game too... The D was good again- great job BISON!!!!

HandoEX
09-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, our defense has given up ONE td in 12 quarters. Pretty amazing considering what the unit produced last season.

The O-line is all kinds of crazy. Richard moved to guard, Lund at center, and a true frosh starting at tackle. Can't say I saw this coming a few weeks ago.

It was tough to see Veldman on the sidelines. I hope he returns quickly.

Our special teams units look really good. Some nice kicks yesterday with decent coverage (besides that first one). Hopefully the FG trend starts spiking upwards.

Tatanka
09-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Morgan State Head Coach Donald Hill-Eley

Opening Statement: We knew coming out here that this was going to be a tough game. Not to take any credit away from North Dakota State, but to get 16 penalties when you are only averaging 4 a week is just rough. When we get back we will look at the tape but 16 penalties is just too many especially in a game where the effort was there.

Um, coach, How many of those 16 were false starts, illegal shift, or delay of game?

Bison bison
09-19-2010, 02:41 PM
i think a lot of folks forgot that morgan state is one of our two cupcakes this year.

we should have started rolling them a lot sooner than we did (the 4th qrtr.)

26 yards after 20+ minutes of play against a team like the bears is an embarrassment.

brock played well and better as time went on, but i'm not sure he gets/deserves the starting spot this saturday (is jose is ready to go)

smith is a stud. his return at the end of the game was the best play of the game.

bisoneer
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I think Morgan St. is an underrated team, hard hitting, fast and they just need an experienced qb.

roadwarrior
09-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Smith is a stud. his return at the end of the game was the best play of the game.

Absolutely!! (too bad several thousand people missed it!)

Bisonguy
09-19-2010, 04:42 PM
i think a lot of folks forgot that morgan state is one of our two cupcakes this year.

26 yards after 20+ minutes of play against a team like the bears is an embarrassment.

brock played well and better as time went on, but i'm not sure he gets/deserves the starting spot this saturday (is jose is ready to go)

smith is a stud. his return at the end of the game was the best play of the game.

Quit being such a pessimist. The Bison are averaging over 60 net rushing yards per game now (60.3 to be exact).

OrygunBison
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Um, coach, How many of those 16 were false starts, illegal shift, or delay of game?

Certainly, but in his defense, there was a really, REALLY, bad call for a late hit on our QB. It was at least a yard in bounds. Phil was pretty confused by the call. That one was a pretty significant momentum changer.

BisonNeil
09-19-2010, 09:25 PM
More positive thoughts on the game than negative ones:

Positive

The defense is back to being a classic "bend but don't break" Bison defense that is causing turnovers.

John Prelvitz is back to punting like he did during his Sophomore season.

Ryan Smith is seeing the whole field and is a huge boost to the special teams.

The game seemed to slow down for Brock Jensen in the second half, something that I don't think ever happened for Mertens and perhaps even Mohler.

The Bison got a 'W'.

Negative

The offensive line is still a work in progress and the running game will struggle as long as they do.

The kickoff coverage is still not good enough for DI football.

Vigen hasn't got a clue how to call plays. The first half was putrid. How many times do we really need to run between the tackles on first down (over 80% of the first down calls were 'dive' plays in the first half by my count, I won money with my savvy play guessing).

Gully
09-19-2010, 09:29 PM
It's obvious that we don't "self scout" our offense. When Voight is in the game, it's a 90% + chance of a passing play. If it's a run, DJ is usually in. It's soooo obvious, I just don't see why they can't mix it up?

Gully
09-19-2010, 09:30 PM
It's obvious that we don't "self scout" our offense. When Voight is in the game, it's a 90% + chance of a passing play. If it's a run, DJ is usually in. It's soooo obvious, I just don't see why they can't mix it up?

Not to mention, I'd like to see Voight get more carriers. Remember some of the electric plays he had in the past? Guess we don't need them, handing the ball of to DJ and watching him dance and get tackled for no gain is much better.

HandoEX
09-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Not to mention, I'd like to see Voight get more carriers. Remember some of the electric plays he had in the past? Guess we don't need them, handing the ball of to DJ and watching him dance and get tackled for no gain is much better.

Has any RB done anything? Sigers? Voigtlander? Nope, the running game can't do anything with as much penetration as the defense is getting.

HerdBot
09-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Gotta beat Usd by 20+ no ifs and or buts

Expecting to beat a ranked team by 3 TDs is not a realist goal. Winning by 1 point is the goal.

Caves39
09-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I agree that Smith looked awesome returning punts. Why not give him a shot at carrying the ball more? DJ just dances too much and Voigt runs right into the line everytime i remember him having the ball. It is clear that Smith has some serious burst of speed. We just need a changeup back there once in a while.

westnodak93bison
09-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I will speculate that the staff doesn't think Smith would hold up since he is a buck sixty six. Pretty light for an FCS RB imho.

Bison"FANatic"
09-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Smith is much more valuable as a returner than a 3rd string running back. In time he will be back there but he is only a freshman and like he said. He is just starting to see the field. Huge step up in speed of the game and what he needs to do. I wouldn't doubt to see a few carries from him sometime this year but not many.

HerdBot
09-19-2010, 11:25 PM
I will speculate that the staff doesn't think Smith would hold up since he is a buck sixty six. Pretty light for an FCS RB imho.

He's the same size as Sigers but Sigers has a year of learning the offense so he's got to be ahead of Smith.

OldBison
09-20-2010, 12:56 AM
The offensive line is pathetic.

I don't see what all of you see in BillyTurner, yes I know he is you and has great upside, but he got burned bad in pass blocking the last two games and he is a lousy run blocker. If he is the best Bohl can put out there then Bohl has really done a lousy job of recruiting and we are in for a long, long season :hide:

BisoninNWMN
09-20-2010, 01:02 AM
The offensive line is pathetic.

I don't see what all of you see in BillyTurner, yes I know he is you and has great upside, but he got burned bad in pass blocking the last two games and he is a lousy run blocker. If he is the best Bohl can put out there then Bohl has really done a lousy job of recruiting and we are in for a long, long season :hide:

What game were you watching????

He made a few mistakes but overall he did a good job for his 1st college start. He has the size and his footwork was pretty good. Give this line combination alittle more time before passing judgement.

GO BISON

DjKyRo
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
What game were you watching????

He made a few mistakes but overall he did a good job for his 1st college start. He has the size and his footwork was pretty good. Give this line combination alittle more time before passing judgement.

GO BISON

OldBison is just looking for opportunities to rag on Bohl at this point, he'll even target a starting true freshman. It's unfortunate but hey, it's a message board, everyone has their opinions. Personally I think Turner has a ton of potential and while he hasn't been terrific he hasn't done all that badly.

Hambone
09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
You guys might not care about my thoughts, but I'll give them anyway since I caught the entire game online. These are just honest observations, no bias in them, so take them for what they're worth. :p

1. The Morgan State offense is pretty sad, with the exception of the RB transfer from Rutgers. That QB was one of the worst throwing the ball that I think I've seen at the college level.
2. Morgan States defense seemed to play well, but really got gassed at the end. Even though the Bison ended up winning by a comfortable margin, they still only were able to muster about 250 yards of offense which should not happen against a team like Morgan State. Of course, when you have a short field to work with a lot of the game, and are helped by some penalties, you don't need many yards to score (although the lack of yards in the first half was pretty shocking).
3. Those of you happy with the defensive performance, know that DII Bowie State only gave up 150 yards to the Bears, yet the Bison gave up over 200. That's kind of a head scratcher to me. (NOTE: I'm not saying the defense is bad, but it gives you something to think about)
4. Ryan Smith is a fun guy to watch - his impact as a returner reminds me of someone else from ND who did the same thing at another school as a true freshman :) That last punt return was really a thing of beauty.
5. I felt that Brock did look better than Jose, but he did have some trouble with accuracy on the deep ball. Personally, I would give Brock the ball against USD.
6. Even though the Bison played terrible for the first half to three quarters, that last quarter could give them something to build on for the rest of the season.
7. Saw a lot of empty seats at the game - announced attendance was over 17k, but seemed like there were more than 2k empty seats......

All in all, good to get a few scores and a W, but I think there are still a lot of questions that need to be answered for the rest of the year....

JSUBison
09-21-2010, 10:02 PM

It was. But I noticed on probably my 3rd viewing of it that Duscher gave a nice little block in the back to set up the whole thing. I noticed his hands flying up in the classic "I didn't just commit a penalty" pose. :hide:

tony
09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
It was. But I noticed on probably my 3rd viewing of it that Duscher gave a nice little block in the back to set up the whole thing. I noticed his hands flying up in the classic "I didn't just commit a penalty" pose. :hide:

Didn't see that one, but there was a definite "aiding the ball carrier" foul at the end.

westnodak93bison
09-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Here is my gut feeling. Offense will come around sooner rather than later. Bohl goes with Jensen over Mohler. Mohler ain't playing this weekend.

onbison09
09-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Anyone know how fast they put the archives up on gobison? I thought the game was at 3 so I went ahead and bought tickets for a hockey game at 7 (yeah I'm going to get flamed for this I know :banghead: :hide:)

CAS4127
09-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Thought that was good "no call"!

JustinTyem
09-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Anyone know how fast they put the archives up on gobison? I thought the game was at 3 so I went ahead and bought tickets for a hockey game at 7 (yeah I'm going to get flamed for this I know :banghead: :hide:)
I watched the game again from saturday vs Morgan and the archives were up on monday I think at noonish.

onbison09
09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I watched the game again from saturday vs Morgan and the archives were up on monday I think at noonish.

God that's not soon enough.

JustinTyem
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
God that's not soon enough.

Right,I want them to show up with in a couple hours. Also, I wish they would show more about the tunnel run on the pc. That seems awesome!!!

onbison09
09-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Is there anyway to record it on your computer or something? :banghead:

NWNDBison
09-23-2010, 01:16 AM
I appreciated this quote on the upcoming game vs. USD:

Expectations for a good game between USD and NDSU were ratcheted up after both programs claimed wins over FBS programs earlier this season. The Bison opened with a 6-3 upset of the Big 12’s Kansas, while the Coyotes knocked off the Big Ten’s Minnesota, 41-38, the following week. This Saturday’s contest renews a storied rivalry that dates back to 1903, but hasn’t been played since 2003.

Full Story Here:

http://boxscorenews.com/no-south-dakota-coyotes-travel-to-no-ndsu-bison-p2594-68.htm