PDA

View Full Version : NDSU and UND Start New Rivalry

99Bison
09-16-2010, 04:18 AM
"Really what it is is starting a new rivalry. We are not renewing the old rivalry,” Hinterstocker said, “because it has been so long since we played each other. I wasn’t here then and I don’t know how it felt and neither do any of our current players. It is really exciting, because we haven’t had an instate rivalry for a while.”

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=263

THEsocalledfan
09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Misguided youth. They will get in the gym, feel the energy, and any misconceptions on who NDSU's "true" rival is will go away. I feel bad for these players.

Facts
09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Misguided youth. They will get in the gym, feel the energy, and any misconceptions on who NDSU's "true" rival is will go away. I feel bad for these players.

I have no idea what you mean by this^^^

56BISON73
09-16-2010, 09:36 PM
At TM luncheon today said (after Hinterstocks bit about not having the rivalry with UND in the past that he was excited about actually having an instate rival even though the cuennt players dont really know about it)
That even though they dont know about the rivalry now they would after tonight!!!!!:D There was almost a collective "you betcha" agreement from from those in attendance.

Hammersmith
09-16-2010, 10:07 PM
It is an interesting situation.

Number of combined players who have played in an NDSU/UND game: 0
Number of head coaches that have participated in an NDSU/UND game: 0
Number of assistant coaches that have participated in an NDSU/UND game: 0?

I have a feeling the only people for whom this game is a big deal is the fans.

But I am a little scared about this game. We don't seem to be quite as good as last year, and UND has really stepped up their program. We've played three common opponents and had almost identical results. We lost to Drake in four sets, they lost in five. That's the only difference. I would be surprised if either team swept the other tonight. I do expect it to go to five sets, and I'd only put the Bison as small favorites.

And if you can pry yourself away from tailgating for an hour, please try to make the match versus SDSU on Saturday at 2pm. That match will have real implications.

Bison bison
09-17-2010, 01:31 AM
But I am a little scared about this game. We don't seem to be quite as good as last year, and UND has really stepped up their program. We've played three common opponents and had almost identical results. We lost to Drake in four sets, they lost in five. That's the only difference. I would be surprised if either team swept the other tonight. I do expect it to go to five sets, and I'd only put the Bison as small favorites.

Well you obviously don't know crap about volley, hammersmith!

:)

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Well you obviously don't know crap about volley, hammersmith!

:)

No kidding. The first two sets were very close(mainly thanks to NDSU spotting UND early points). But that last set was a runaway. NDSU tightened up their game and UND started to fall apart. But it easily could've gone to 4 or 5 sets with a few bounces of the ball. NDSU is the better squad, but it's not by that much.

tony
09-17-2010, 02:04 AM
I only saw the third game... that was a dominating display by NDSU.

BTW, trivia time: The series is 77-11 but what I haven't heard mentioned is that the series started out with the two schools splitting the first 20 games (between 1966 and 1976.) That means that NDSU has won every match since 1976 except 1 and that the series record for the last 34 years stands at NDSU 67 - UND 1.

That said, UND is much, much improved and could be a nice addition to the Summit assuming the hockey guys don't stage a coup over the nickname and screw over every other team in their athletic department.

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Oh, and band, your trumpets sucked. Sorry, but that was not your A-game. I did laugh when Sig missed the cutoff.

TbonZach
09-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Oh, and band, your trumpets sucked. Sorry, but that was not your A-game. I did laugh when Sig missed the cutoff.

I'll agree there. It was an interesting night for them.

And nice to meet you, Hammer.

silkamilkamonico
09-17-2010, 02:14 AM
No kidding. The first two sets were very close(mainly thanks to NDSU spotting UND early points). But that last set was a runaway. NDSU tightened up their game and UND started to fall apart. But it easily could've gone to 4 or 5 sets with a few bounces of the ball. NDSU is the better squad, but it's not by that much.

I actually thought NDSU was significantly better. UND jumped on them right away both games. You could tell early in the game that it seemed to mean more to UND than NDSU. It was very disappointing to see UND come out and work harder out of the gate.

In the point bunches that mattered most throughout the match, NDSU was just on another level. To close out the first game. At the midway level of the second towards the end. The entire third game.

IMO, UND played harder and was just a little more consistent the first 2 games. But at the time of the games when NDSU pulled it together, there were stretches of 5-9 points where NDSU just on another level and it was the difference. By the time the 3rd game rolled around, NDSU had found their rythm and UND just couldn't compete, and ended up breaking down.

Bryn Joki is ridiculously good. Jennifer Lopez is ridiculously good. When Lauren McLaughlin works her way back into the lineup coming off her injury, NDSU is going to be a very tough team.

roadwarrior
09-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Yeah, Joki had 18 kills in 3 sets. I think that is a lot.

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 02:20 AM
I'll agree there. It was an interesting night for them.

And nice to meet you, Hammer.

Right back at ya. Think anyone would notice if I ran up, hip-checked your DM off the stage, and took her place? Nothing wrong with her, but sometimes you just get a craving. ;)

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 02:28 AM
I actually thought NDSU was significantly better. UND jumped on them right away both games. You could tell early in the game that it seemed to mean more to UND than NDSU. It was very disappointing to see UND come out and work harder out of the gate.

In the point bunches that mattered most throughout the match, NDSU was just on another level. To close out the first game. At the midway level of the second towards the end. The entire third game.

IMO, UND played harder and was just a little more consistent the first 2 games. But at the time of the games when NDSU pulled it together, there were stretches of 5-9 points where NDSU just on another level and it was the difference. By the time the 3rd game rolled around, NDSU had found their rythm and UND just couldn't compete, and ended up breaking down.

Bryn Joki is ridiculously good. Jennifer Lopez is ridiculously good. When Lauren McLaughlin works her way back into the lineup coming off her injury, NDSU is going to be a very tough team.
In a way I do agree with you, but I've seen this team struggle with focus a little too much. When the match started, I started having flashbacks of IPFW in last year's Summit championship game. Now almost all the matches have been away with only live stats to go by. There have only been the three home games and I missed one of them to watch FB. The SUU match was good, but I still didn't feel like they were firing on all cylinders. I'm going to try to get to as many VB matches as I can this year, and I hope they get their groove on and clean up the mistakes. If they can do that consistently, then I'll agree that the gap between the two programs is wider.

And what was it with the serving? NDSU couldn't get enough of out of bounds, and UND's servers were in love with the net.

roadwarrior
09-17-2010, 02:28 AM
What was distracting was all of the fights in the stands between the fans of the two schools! :D :D :D

aces1180
09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
What was distracting was all of the fights in the stands between the fans of the two schools! :D :D :D

drunk hockey fans, at that!

Tatanka
09-17-2010, 02:30 AM

PL throws a mean left hook, I tell you what! That poor little girl didn't know what hit her. But she sure shut up afterwards.

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 02:31 AM

Or how about that guy in the Sioux hockey jersey in the top row who waved his flag ALL GAME LONG? I wanted to ask him if he was DaveK.

56BISON73
09-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Dont forget all those disrspectful Who shirts and such.:D

DjKyRo
09-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Or how about that guy in the Sioux hockey jersey in the top row who waved his flag ALL GAME LONG? I wanted to ask him if he was DaveK.

I talked to him after the game and gave him a handshake, flag-guy to flag-guy.

silkamilkamonico
09-17-2010, 02:36 AM
In a way I do agree with you, but I've seen this team struggle with focus a little too much. When the match started, I started having flashbacks of IPFW in last year's Summit championship game. Now almost all the matches have been away with only live stats to go by. There have only been the three home games and I missed one of them to watch FB. The SUU match was good, but I still didn't feel like they were firing on all cylinders. I'm going to try to get to as many VB matches as I can this year, and I hope they get their groove on and clean up the mistakes. If they can do that consistently, then I'll agree that the gap between the two programs is wider.

And what was it with the serving? NDSU couldn't get enough of out of bounds, and UND's servers were in love with the net.

I think the game has more missed serves in general, because teams are so good off serve receive nowadays, teams are trying to serve harder and trading missed serves for aces.

That is really a concern to hear that NDSU has the lack of focus in a lot of games. I don't get to see much, but I certainly thought if this is their mentality throughout the course of matches it is no doubt a concern.

I could see NDSU seemed to control the flows of points both good or bad. With the exception of how the first 2 games started, once the games settled down it seemed like NDSU was scoring points off kills, and UND was scoring points off Bison errors. It didn't seem like UND was controlling the points at all, with the exception of one here and there. I think there was one occasion where NDSU attacked the ball out of bounds 4 out of 6 points. Just terrible focus like you said.

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 02:45 AM
I think the game has more missed serves in general, because teams are so good off serve receive nowadays, teams are trying to serve harder and trading missed serves for aces.

That is really a concern to hear that NDSU has the lack of focus in a lot of games. I don't get to see much, but I certainly thought if this is their mentality throughout the course of matches it is no doubt a concern.

I could see NDSU seemed to control the flows of points both good or bad. With the exception of how the first 2 games started, once the games settled down it seemed like NDSU was scoring points off kills, and UND was scoring points off Bison errors. It didn't seem like UND was controlling the points at all, with the exception of one here and there. I think there was one occasion where NDSU attacked the ball out of bounds 4 out of 6 points. Just terrible focus like you said.

And you've forgotten more about VB than I'll ever know, so take my comments with a huge grain of salt. Maybe I've just been unlucky enough to see them on games when they've stumbled a bit. (Or maybe I should stop going to games. ;)) It was just that I saw them a few times at the end of last year and they were crushing their opponents. Total control of the matches from beginning to end. The squad that lost to IPFW looked like a completely different team. The team I saw tonight(at least through 1.5 sets), looked more like the IPFW losers than the Summit domination squad. I'm eager to see how they play against Tulsa and SDSU. The Jacks should be a relative cakewalk compared to Tulsa. If the Bison lock into their game, they will run through the conference for yet another year.

silkamilkamonico
09-17-2010, 02:48 AM
You seem to know the game well enough to make a perceptional opinion too, and that's all it is. I wondered just what happen in that Summit loss. I wish I could have seen that match. I remember being utterly shocked when I heard they lost, because like you said they seemed to just be cleaning up on everybody.

Hammersmith
09-17-2010, 02:58 AM
You seem to know the game well enough to make a perceptional opinion too, and that's all it is. I wondered just what happen in that Summit loss. I wish I could have seen that match. I remember being utterly shocked when I heard they lost, because like you said they seemed to just be cleaning up on everybody.

It started like they were over excited. Serve after serve after kill went out the back. Free points for IPFW. Then came the communication errors. Then came kills going out the sides. Net errors, double hits. It just kept pilling up. Toward the middle they started getting tense, like they could feel it slipping away. They rallied back to push it to five sets, but I got the feeling that they felt they couldn't win. Like it was fated that they were going to lose. When the time was ripe for them to take control in the fifth set, they just couldn't produce that last big push. From watching them, it felt 100% psychological. Part of me wants to say that they've never recovered. The other part says I'm a stupid fool. I'm leaning toward fool, but who knows?

Facts
09-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Dont forget all those disrspectful Who shirts and such.:D

I saw some old "throwback" fighting sioux apparell (from the year 2009 I think). I guess I didn't know it was throwback night.

99Bison
09-17-2010, 03:50 AM
This is the way Volleyball goes guys. When you are playing well things fall into place and you look dominant, when you are not playing well you tend to look flat out bad, there's just not really an in the middle. Volleyball especially with rally scoring is essentially a continuous string of mini momentum swings.

IMO, "focus" hasn't really been the issue, it's been a case of not finding your new identity and the new on court team chemistry hasn't been solidified yet.

As far as the team goes this year, they have indeed been sub par, not being able to string together good play for more than a few points here and there. IMHO again there are a few reasons for all this:
1. The lost at the end of last year shook confidence and thus questioned the dominant league identity that had been developing for several years.
2. The big offensive guns haven't been healthy, McLaughlin - double knee surgery and ankle now, Knuth - shoulder and ankle(?) ongoing, Vandenbergh - left hand in a cast.
3. You lost defensive player of the year that was your teams glue and helped the team to very high dig rankings.
4. And similary the biggest reason IMO - they graduated the two team leaders who had been the leaders for 4 straight years and are now trying to find a new (perhaps just tweaked) identity and top dog leaders.

IMO the team will progress as the season goes on while developing an identity and the new top leaders willl emerge.

Tonight behind 22-24 in the first game it's like all of a sudden the lights came on, a sense of urgency was realized and after completing the mini comeback a new confidence and identity started building. As far as I am concerned the biggest thing of the night was the identity building and Joki coming out party. Joki has obviously played well before, but she flat out dominated for the first time in her NDSU career and her confidence blossomed.