PDA

View Full Version : Pavlov's Dog

GOB1SON
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
For those who are railing on Jose, I challenge any of you to take the beating he took on Saturday and not get a little gun shy. When he was pulling the ball down and running a little early in the second half, that was just a function of the mauling he took in the first half. That defensive set him up and then all they needed to do was ring the bell. I thought he handled it well and actually played pretty damn good, given the circumstances.

I have been to all three UNI games thus far and their defensive line play is simply amazing. Three years ago, I left the Uni(tard)dome just flabbergasted by their tackles ability to stand up our 300 pounders and drive them back into Mertens, totally disrupting the offensive flow and they did it again last weekend. They are undersized, but their technique and scheme is flawless.

I really think that Jose is going to be a good QB, perhaps even a very good QB.

Bison bison
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
your claim would mean more if Jose wasn't more prone to give up the pass early MORE in the first half (at least that was my observation).

buffalobob
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
After 2008 and 2010 play in the UNI dome, do you think are coaching staff will THEN go with a silent count. Hopefully third time is the charm!!

Gully
09-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Agreed, it certainly isn't all on the QB.

I also agree that UNI's defense looked great all three years. That said we scored a lot on them last year didn't we? Also, they didn't even make the playoffs last year so somebody figured them out. It seems like we struggle to make adjustments when things aren't going well.

SDbison
09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
For those who are railing on Jose, I challenge any of you to take the beating he took on Saturday and not get a little gun shy. When he was pulling the ball down and running a little early in the second half, that was just a function of the mauling he took in the first half. That defensive set him up and then all they needed to do was ring the bell. I thought he handled it well and actually played pretty damn good, given the circumstances.

I have been to all three UNI games thus far and their defensive line play is simply amazing. Three years ago, I left the Uni(tard)dome just flabbergasted by their tackles ability to stand up our 300 pounders and drive them back into Mertens, totally disrupting the offensive flow and they did it again last weekend. They are undersized, but their technique and scheme is flawless.

I really think that Jose is going to be a good QB, perhaps even a very good QB.
Happy you can con yourself. About 50% of this board doesn't agree with you based on previous polls. He took a few hits but it wasn't that brutal. Many of them he ran into the pass rusher while they were being blocked. Not that the o-line didn't have issues. Like I said before, Jose has to learn some plays are designed for a pass from the pocket. He takes off scrambling everytime. Shiftiness in the pocket while checking off your receivers and deciding who to pass to, or throw the ball away, is a better response most of the time. Look at the way Walker handled pressure. Jose thinks he has to take off running the moment he sees pressure.
Jose has a lot to prove before I will think he is even a good QB. So far he is .500 as a starter.

westnodak93bison
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
After 2008 and 2010 play in the UNI dome, do you think are coaching staff will THEN go with a silent count. Hopefully third time is the charm!!

How can't we be ready for the noise factor? We have a dome to simulate the noise so why is that a problem?

bisonmike2
09-15-2010, 03:25 PM
I've softened on the idea of benching Jose. But if he's going to lead this team this year, this is the game he needs to breakout. First 2 games are forgivable, a big 12 defense and a no-show o-line versus a top tier FCS D. But the fact is, he's still only led this team to 15 points in 8 qtrs of football.

THE HERD
09-15-2010, 03:39 PM
The O-line was so bad you cannot even began to evaluate the QB and RB's. I am not sold on Mohler yet, but do believe he is a huge upgrade over Mertens, but when the line plays like that I don't care who you have back there. Is UNI's Dline that much better and more physical than the KU's Dline??? I could not believe how they pushed our Oline around....I have seen a lot of Bison games and I have never witnessed us getting bitch slapped like that.......I mean the Oline was suppose to be the strength of the team just as it usually is. We will see how they respond in coming weeks. Is the Oline that bad or did they just have an off night? I don't think they are as bad as they looked against UNI, but as far as how good or affective they can be...I don't really know right now.

buffalobob
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
How can't we be ready for the noise factor? We have a dome to simulate the noise so why is that a problem?

Why? If you saw the game on tv, you noticed their fans hitting on signs hanging over the railings. If you were at the game you noticed the acoustics of the building and noise level. There is a reason they have 174-43-1 home field advantage. Our dome and fans don't make it so the opposing offense can't even hear their snap count. They have a HUGE home advantage and until our coaches go to a silent count there it won't be any different in 2012!

Facts
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Fact's Dog:
http://izismile.com/img/img2/20090313/dogs_00.jpg

bisonmike2
09-15-2010, 04:07 PM
The O-line was so bad you cannot even began to evaluate the QB and RB's. I am not sold on Mohler yet, but do believe he is a huge upgrade over Mertens, but when the line plays like that I don't care who you have back there. Is UNI's Dline that much better and more physical than the KU's Dline??? I could not believe how they pushed our Oline around....I have seen a lot of Bison games and I have never witnessed us getting bitch slapped like that.......I mean the Oline was suppose to be the strength of the team just as it usually is. We will see how they respond in coming weeks. Is the Oline that bad or did they just have an off night? I don't think they are as bad as they looked against UNI, but as far as how good or affective they can be...I don't really know right now.

My theory, and it's just a theory, is that this team beat a Kansas team that had a very off night. With Kansas' new coach and a big time opponent looming the next week, they simply overlooked NDSU. And why wouldn't they? We sucked last year. So we beat Kansas, then our extremely young team begins to think, "holy shit, we beat a Big 12 team. We're pretty f*cking good." Then they start preparing for UNI and they see that UNI has new guys starting all over the place and it's UNI's first game of the season. So now they start thinking, "Shiiit. We just beat Kansas, and now we get to play these fools, many of them are starting for the first time. No problem." Meanwhile, UNI quietly does their business, they're obviously well coached, stuck to their game plan and had a motivation to beat the hell out of NDSU. A team full of young cocky players who think they're the shit because of the previous weeks win. NDSU comes out and UNI takes it to us, we become rattled, and never really recover on offense. The defense gives up tons of big plays but has just enough to keep them out of the endzone multiple times. And lets not forget that UNI left a lot of points on the field with their mistakes. If UNI had a game under their belt to iron out the wrinkles they could have easily beat us by 30 +.

NDSUstudent
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
My theory, and it's just a theory, is that this team beat a Kansas team that had a very off night. With Kansas' new coach and a big time opponent looming the next week, they simply overlooked NDSU. And why wouldn't they? We sucked last year. So we beat Kansas, then our extremely young team begins to think, "holy shit, we beat a Big 12 team. We're pretty f*cking good." Then they start preparing for UNI and they see that UNI has new guys starting all over the place and it's UNI's first game of the season. So now they start thinking, "Shiiit. We just beat Kansas, and now we get to play these fools, many of them are starting for the first time. No problem." Meanwhile, UNI quietly does their business, they're obviously well coached, stuck to their game plan and had a motivation to beat the hell out of NDSU. A team full of young cocky players who think they're the shit because of the previous weeks win. NDSU comes out and UNI takes it to us, we become rattled, and never really recover on offense. The defense gives up tons of big plays but has just enough to keep them out of the endzone multiple times. And lets not forget that UNI left a lot of points on the field with their mistakes. If UNI had a game under their belt to iron out the wrinkles they could have easily beat us by 30 +.

UNI also had a new scheme that we had no film on. Probably not a good thing when you have a team of young players. Maybe like Kolpack said it was just a perfect storm of things(many you mentioned above) that hit us all at once.

bisonmike2
09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
UNI also had a new scheme that we had no film on. Probably not a good thing when you have a team of young players. Maybe like Kolpack said it was just a perfect storm of things(many you mentioned above) that hit us all at once.

I saw the movie, A Perfect Storm. Pretty solid film.

***spoiler alert***

All the main characters die in it. I hope that's not a metaphorical foreshadowing of our season.

stevdock
09-15-2010, 05:17 PM

What new scheme do they have?? I thought they've always run the spread and switched back and forth between a 3-4 and a 4-3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NDSUstudent
09-15-2010, 05:22 PM
What new scheme do they have?? I thought they've always run the spread and switched back and forth between a 3-4 and a 4-3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure they were strictly 4-3 before. At least UNI fans were saying in the offseason that they haven't run 3-4 in sometime. This is from Kolpack's blog....

The Panthers threw a scheme at NDSU that the Bison had never seen on tape from UNI. There were three down linemen but a fourth linebacker acted more like a lineman is about as best as I can explain it.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

HerdBot
09-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Pretty sure they were strictly 4-3 before. At least UNI fans were saying in the offseason that they haven't run 3-4 in sometime. This is from Kolpack's blog....

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

That's a major challenge when you practice for a 4-3 and they throw a 3-4 at you. Throw in the qb who ran a lot and that gives them a major advantage. I bet if we played them next week the outcome would be different.

CaBisonFan
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM
We won't know how mediocre our offense is until we play some mediocre defenses. What this OC needs is time.

I'd say investing in an OC is worth 5 to 7 years...to see if he can do the job or not...:cool:

ndsubison1
09-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Happy you can con yourself. About 50% of this board doesn't agree with you based on previous polls. He took a few hits but it wasn't that brutal. Many of them he ran into the pass rusher while they were being blocked. Not that the o-line didn't have issues. Like I said before, Jose has to learn some plays are designed for a pass from the pocket. He takes off scrambling everytime. Shiftiness in the pocket while checking off your receivers and deciding who to pass to, or throw the ball away, is a better response most of the time. Look at the way Walker handled pressure. Jose thinks he has to take off running the moment he sees pressure.
Jose has a lot to prove before I will think he is even a good QB. So far he is .500 as a starter.

Our guards were being pushed immediately into the backfield all day :hide: :banghead:

seems like UNI always out coaches us every time we play. they always seem to have a great gameplan