PDA

View Full Version : bison fans/band didnt help at UNI

lakesbison
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
IT was a joke how the ndsu fans didn't cheer yesterday. Are we that big of bandwagon??

There was 2000 fans , might as well been 200 for how quiet they.were.

The band sucked in the stands (fine on the field) I'm talkin specifically bout the lack of cheering and chants. Our team coulda used a boost in 2nd half, kinda pissed me off. Step it up and cheer

clenz
09-12-2010, 10:57 PM
I can promise you, with 100% certainty, there was no more than 1K Bizun fans there included the band.

Fast50Dad
09-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Lakes, I was on my feet like you. We sat in front of the band. Watching Sig, he was doing as much as the UNI folks would allow our GSMB to play prior to the plays being snapped (via headset). I thought the GSMB stepped up in the second half. Being right there I did think there is some gamesmanship for bands at away games, but don't know (tbonzach step in). It was a tough night, and a long drive home. Outside of the game, I liked my UNI buddy coming to the trailer and saying "do you know who Lakes is, I gotta meet him". I introduced you to him and his buddy. Later prior to the game he said you're a hoot!

Go Bison!

TbonZach
09-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Lakes, I was on my feet like you. We sat in front of the band. Watching Sig, he was doing as much as the UNI folks would allow our GSMB to play prior to the plays being snapped (via headset). I thought the GSMB stepped up in the second half. Being right there I did think there is some gamesmanship for bands at away games, but don't know (tbonzach step in). It was a tough night, and a long drive home. Outside of the game, I liked my UNI buddy coming to the trailer and saying "do you know who Lakes is, I gotta meet him". I introduced you to him and his buddy. Later prior to the game he said you're a hoot!

Go Bison!

100% correct. We did have a pretty rough start all around. It took about 20 minutes to get everyone settled into the stands. It was all three DM's first game out front and had some shaky starts.

As for the gamesmanship, yes, there was a lot on our part, but not so much on the UNI band's part (not meant as a slight on them). We were told that we had to wait for the PA announcements to finish, which we did. However, we were also told that we would play every other time-out, which we did not. Because we waited until the PA was done, it ended up being every other other other time-out. The UNI band, on the other end, made no effort what-so-ever to follow the PA rule.* So basically it was we had to follow rules while the UNI band could do what ever they pleased (yeah, yeah, host band, whatever).

On the flip side of things, it was great to be able to play with the Panther Band on the field. It was nice to meet some of their members and see/hear them perform in person.

*While the GSMB doesn't always follow that rule at home, we try to as much as we can.

Bisonguy
09-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I can promise you, with 100% certainty, there was no more than 1K Bizun fans there included the band.

Whatever. I suppose now you're going to tell us that there weren't actually 30k Bison fans in the Metrodome back in 2007?? :hide:

clenz
09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Whatever. I suppose now you're going to tell us that there weren't actually 30k Bison fans in the Metrodome back in 2007?? :hide:

Trust me on this one. There were not as many NDSU fans there as you think...I can say that with 100% certainty.

Bisonguy
09-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Trust me on this one. There were not as many NDSU fans there as you think...I can say that with 100% certainty.

I believe you. I also don't believe there were 30k Bison fans at the Metrodome.

CaBisonFan
09-13-2010, 01:06 AM

I watched the game on my computer. I couldn't believe the number of empty seats in the dome. Would you have a guesstimate on that number?

56BISON73
09-13-2010, 01:11 AM

I watched the game on my computer and I was surprised that I didnt see that many Bison fans there. My guess if you looked at the sections I would say may be 750-1000. That might be generous.

The number of empty seats really surprised me. Even with the Iowa-ISU game I didnt think there would be that many.

clenz
09-13-2010, 01:13 AM
I watched the game on my computer and I was surprised that I didnt see that many Bison fans there. My guess if you looked at the sections I would say may be 750-1000. That might be generous.

The number of empty seats really surprised me. Even with the Iowa-ISU game I didnt think there would be that many.

I can say the announced attendance of 14,442 was pretty accurate. The end sections of the dome don't hold that many seats. Many of the open seats were people standing on the north and south concourses.

MN_Moose
09-13-2010, 02:30 AM
The NDSU band out played UNI. They were great.

FWIW: I would have thought when they joined they would have played America The Beautiful, or something patriotic. But that's on us.

Bison bison
09-13-2010, 02:40 AM
i thought this thread was going to be about how things would have been better if the tuba players had bailed out the o-line and sigurd had taken over as the offensive play caller.

my bad.

aces1180
09-13-2010, 02:41 AM
The NDSU band out played UNI. They were great.

FWIW: I would have thought when they joined they would have played America The Beautiful, or something patriotic. But that's on us.

Was it the GSMB or UNI who played Muse?

clenz
09-13-2010, 02:55 AM

UNI did. The only thing they played together were the fight songs.

Not only was there a difference in speed between the two schools on the field for the game, the UNI band moved at a much faster rate than NDSU did during their shows.

NDSU still had a good band though

06panther10
09-13-2010, 03:12 AM
band smack. Love it.

heckler
09-13-2010, 03:13 AM
band smack. Love it.

the only thing we can take away from the game ;)

lakesbison
09-13-2010, 03:19 AM
I'm Talking About Cheering Or Lack There Of. I.don't Care If They Played The Skin Flute!!!

TbonZach
09-13-2010, 03:35 AM

UNI did. The only thing they played together were the fight songs.

Actually both bands played Uprising (Muse).

FargoPanther
09-13-2010, 03:36 AM
As a former UNI Football season ticket holder, I'm not buying the official attendance. With the number of empty seats in the the UNI Dome, the official number to me sounds inflated. I have Bison season tickets this year and looking forward to contrast the two domes.

bisonhusker
09-13-2010, 03:44 AM
I just wish our band was actually "in the game." When you aren't playing....be a diehard fan. Get into the game. Yell/scream. Seems like alot of waiting around until their chance to play. I have to agree, I was hoping for more out of the band. Talented group when they are playing, but make a difference throughout.

TbonZach
09-13-2010, 03:55 AM
As a former UNI Football season ticket holder, I'm not buying the official attendance. With the number of empty seats in the the UNI Dome, the official number to me sounds inflated. I have Bison season tickets this year and looking forward to contrast the two domes.

Contrast #1: there is A LOT less of an echo effect in the Fargodome.

TbonZach
09-13-2010, 03:56 AM
I just wish our band was actually "in the game." When you aren't playing....be a diehard fan. Get into the game. Yell/scream. Seems like alot of waiting around until their chance to play. I have to agree, I was hoping for more out of the band. Talented group when they are playing, but make a difference throughout.

We actually get chewed out quite a bit not being ready to play because we are watching the game. I think a lot of that was because it was our time to play (during a time-out) but never had a chance to because the PA announcements lasted the entire time-out.

SDbison
09-13-2010, 04:37 AM
The Fargodome doesn't have a garage door in the endzone, seats about 3 or 4 thousand more fans (primarily due to endzone seating) and has a steeper angle to the rows of seats. This means good views for all, but a hell of a climb if you are at the top.

DjKyRo
09-13-2010, 04:38 AM

Not to speak ill of the band but I was this in entirety - I came from basketball games without a voice. I got the idea that other band members didn't appreciate that for some reason, and it felt great to be free to go nuts when I attended a few hoops games as a regular fan. Can't wait for my first "fan" football game on Saturday.

ndsubison1
09-13-2010, 04:56 AM

Most of them dont understand sports

Twentysix
09-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Yeah talked to a kid that played clarinett named matt the other day, he was the defintion of a bandwagon fan. That might even be giving him too much fan credit. I dont think most of the band is like tbon or kyro.

mebisonII
09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Nice, "why didn't the band cheer louder for us!". :rolleyes: Early in the year to start that already.

The band is a mix of big-time fans, casual followers, and kids who just want a way to meet new people in college, just like everyone in rest of the stands. Also, just like everyone else in the stands, its hard for band members to get excited about watching your QB get sacked 11 times. I played in the band for a 3-8 season once...by the end of the season we were the ONLY folks in the stands making any noise.

Notorious
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
damn band...and Mohler....and Vigen...and Bohl...and the O-Line...and the receivers...

BlueBisonRock
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
damn band...and Mohler....and Vigen...and Bohl...and the O-Line...and the receivers...

And selected BV posers (sic). :D

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm Talking About Cheering Or Lack There Of. I.don't Care If They Played The Skin Flute!!!

There wasn't much to cheer about.

Its hard to chear when your linemen are laying flat on their backs for most of the game. :mad:

SDbison
09-14-2010, 12:23 AM
There wasn't much to cheer about.

Its hard to chear when your linemen are laying flat on their backs for most of the game. :mad:

Ditto on the "not much to cheer about". The running game sucked and Mohler seems lost on every play. I am really disappointed in Bohl and the players. All I hear are compliments from Bohl and others how great UNI or SIU are and how SDSU is now a power to contend with..........
SDSU better than NDSU now?.......WTF happened!
F'ing A.......lets put together some players and an offensive scheme that wins games........I am sick of this shat! Time to drop or at least modify the crappy west coast offense Bohl.......it doesnt F'ing work!
Where did the tradition go? I really think NDSU coaches, players and fans have become used to the idea of losing. That plain SUCKS!
When is NDSU going to start beating the better teams in the MVFC?
Tired of the excuses, waiting for next year, and then the next year.........
A win against Cap'n Morgan State just doesn't do anything to take the Bison to the next level.....nor should one against USD. We ought to beat those teams silly.
Finally, Bohl, you don't have to wait 15 games to change QB. Just F'ing do it and find out who the real leader is. And I still don't think Mohler is taking the Bison anywhere, but WTF do I know.
Rant done.....I am fried at work and glad I didn't have a chance to call Bohl tonight because I would have likely ripped him a new one.