PDA

View Full Version : QB against Morgan State

Gully
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
No, this isn't another thread bashing Jose. He struggled and was part of the problem but the O line was the bigger issue.

Morgan State should be an easy win. Why not play both QBs half time and see what happens? If they were so close in practice why wouldn't we at least put the other guy out there to get some reps?

Bohl alluded to player and scheme adjustments in some quotes and hopefully he's serious about that.

MinotBison
09-12-2010, 03:48 PM
No, this isn't another thread bashing Jose. He struggled and was part of the problem but the O line was the bigger issue.

Morgan State should be an easy win. Why not play both QBs half time and see what happens? If they were so close in practice why wouldn't we at least put the other guy out there to get some reps?

Bohl alluded to player and scheme adjustments in some quotes and hopefully he's serious about that.

An idea whose time has perhaps come.

onbison09
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Hopefully we have a comfortable lead where we can get both guys in

bisonpride4ever
09-12-2010, 08:56 PM
exactly, coaches were saying it was such a close battle. why not try both in a real game situation, and not just in practice, and see what happens.

SDbison
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
exactly, coaches were saying it was such a close battle. why not try both in a real game situation, and not just in practice, and see what happens.
Because Bohl is a stubborn SOB when it comes to changing QB's. Look how long it took hime to drop Stauss.......same with Mertens.
I will be verry shocked if Bohl starts Jensen for the Morgan state game.

Wally
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM

If I remember correctly, back in the day didn't we used to always(or at least most of the time), have the backup qb play the 2nd series of the 2nd quarter each game? I think this happened in the Hager era, but can't remember if Babich did this. It's a good way to get game reps for the back up IMHO

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Jose plays until he loses it. I hate playing two QBs. We need a leader, Jose can either step up or be replaced. But he deserves the chance to sink or swim, none of this split time BS.

HerdBot
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Jensen came in for 1 play and got sacked. Would Jensen have faired better? He's not as quick so maybe he would have been sacked 20 times? Or maybe he's got a great ability to fire up his teammates? Maybe his arm is much stronger. Maybe he can be a better drop back passer? Gill made a QB change and they beat Georgia Tech.

But my gut tells me the changes will be made elsewhere but since Jose wasnt named the started till late i bet Brock has a good chance.

SDbison
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Jensen came in for 1 play and got sacked. Would Jensen have faired better? He's not as quick so maybe he would have been sacked 20 times? Or maybe he's got a great ability to fire up his teammates? Maybe his arm is much stronger. Maybe he can be a better drop back passer? Gill made a QB change and they beat Georgia Tech.

But my gut tells me the changes will be made elsewhere.
Anf you are going to judge Jensen on one play at the end of the game coming in cold and expected to throw the hail mary when the other team knows what the play is going to be? WTF? I have heard it all now.
Mohler is a .500 QB so far in 6 games. Not very good. Give Jensen a full game and see what happens. Sick of the justification for mediocrity here.

HerdBot
09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Anf you are going to judge Jensen on one play at the end of the game coming in cold and expected to throw the hail mary when the other team knows what the play is going to be? WTF? I have heard it all now.
Mohler is a .500 QB so far in 6 games. Not very good. Give Jensen a full game and see what happens. Sick of the justification for mediocrity here.

Read the post again you obviously misread and missed my point.

clenz
09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm not going to read this whole thread but I'll add my two cents.

Jose is a decent QB, he just needs time. You probably won't see a pass rush like we have the rest of the season. When Jose was on the move he was real good. If the o-line can't protect roll the pocket. If you have a QB that is semi-mobile , like Jose, and who can throw on the run USE IT.

Play action boot legs, straight boot legs, shot gun snap to a QB and he starts rolling to the right instantly looking for an out or a drag route, maybe a deep post from the back side.

56BISON73
09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm not going to read this whole thread but I'll add my two cents.

Jose is a decent QB, he just needs time. You probably won't see a pass rush like we have the rest of the season. When Jose was on the move he was real good. If the o-line can't protect roll the pocket. If you have a QB that is semi-mobile , like Jose, and who can throw on the run USE IT.

Play action boot legs, straight boot legs, shot gun snap to a QB and he starts rolling to the right instantly looking for an out or a drag route, maybe a deep post from the back side.

Good points! Jose did hit some good passes yesterday while running.
You D was pretty awesome. Best of luck to you guys the rest of the season.

chuckles
09-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Jose plays until he loses it. I hate playing two QBs. We need a leader, Jose can either step up or be replaced. But he deserves the chance to sink or swim, none of this split time BS.

There is no reason to split time at QB. Jose is the starter and should continue to be, and be the leader. Watch Mohler's TD run from yesterday. He has some quick feet and I don't believe our other QBs could have made the run Jose did to the end zone. He isn't comfortable in the pocket and it shows. His first thought after he gets the snap is probably 'where's the defense and how close are they to sacking me' instead of 'where is my open receiver'. The o-line needs to give the man some time to make the plays before I further judge our QB.

clenz
09-12-2010, 11:07 PM
There is no reason to split time at QB. Jose is the starter and should continue to be, and be the leader. Watch Mohler's TD run from yesterday. He has some quick feet and I don't believe our other QBs could have made the run Jose did to the end zone. He isn't comfortable in the pocket and it shows. His first thought after he gets the snap is probably 'where's the defense and how close are they to sacking me' instead of 'where is my open receiver'. The o-line needs to give the man some time to make the plays before I further judge our QB.

His feet and confidence throwing on the runs is exactly why you should use rolling pockets. However, it doesn't sound like your coaching staff is smart enough/has to much pride to change the game plan....I'm using your posters words, not mine.

EndZoneQB
09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
His feet and confidence throwing on the runs is exactly why you should use rolling pockets. However, it doesn't sound like your coaching staff is smart enough/has to much pride to change the game plan....I'm using your posters words, not mine.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

clenz
09-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I think this pretty much sums it up.

If that is the case, your team isn't going to amount to jack shit until that changes. That is unfortunate for a team with a fan base as strong as NDSU.

tjbison
09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
If that is the case, your team isn't going to amount to jack shit until that changes. That is unfortunate for a team with a fan base as strong as NDSU.

We know that hence the serious frustration for the past 3 yrs;)

Bison"FANatic"
09-12-2010, 11:56 PM

The interesting thing is we rolled him out in the KU game a bunch but didn't against UNI

NDSU1980
09-13-2010, 02:41 AM

Ask Bohl why he didn't do that last year? Jose got literally a couple seconds against against Wagner.

bisonfan11
09-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Honestly I don't see how Brock Jensen would have fared any better against UNI. Jensen would not have thrown for as many yards against UNI as Mohler did. And Jensen more than likely would have had 5-6 INTS because he more than likely would have thrown rookie like passes that would have turned into INTS. Not only that but if the more mobile Mohler was sacked 11 times, the less mobile Jensen would have been sacked 13-17 times. Perhaps Brock Jensen will be the answer at QB, but if Jensen did start the 2nd half of the game given that the O-Line couldn't block anyone Jensen would have just been a sitting duck against UNI. If Mohler can't get anything going against Morgan State, then fine let Jensen start the 2nd half. I have a hunch it won't matter because unless Jensen has a quicker release than Dan Marino, Jensen will be more of a sitting duck than Mohler is.

SDbison
09-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Honestly I don't see how Brock Jensen would have fared any better against UNI. Jensen would not have thrown for as many yards against UNI as Mohler did. And Jensen more than likely would have had 5-6 INTS because he more than likely would have thrown rookie like passes that would have turned into INTS. Not only that but if the more mobile Mohler was sacked 11 times, the less mobile Jensen would have been sacked 13-17 times. Perhaps Brock Jensen will be the answer at QB, but if Jensen did start the 2nd half of the game given that the O-Line couldn't block anyone Jensen would have just been a sitting duck against UNI. If Mohler can't get anything going against Morgan State, then fine let Jensen start the 2nd half. I have a hunch it won't matter because unless Jensen has a quicker release than Dan Marino, Jensen will be more of a sitting duck than Mohler is.
Thanks for your great analysis including how you can see into the future. Wow. Fact........In six games Mohler is at .500 for wins /losses. I am not sold on him yet and I have not seen anything much that makes me believe he has that much upside. Jensen has not started a game and has only played one down. Give him a break until he sees a significant chunk of playtime. Mohler has screwed up enough already, just like many others on offense.

bisonhusker
09-13-2010, 03:42 AM

To be fair, if UNI would have caught some balls, Jose would have had 5 INT's. I am not sure who is the future, but nobody can tell me that Brock not do what is being done at the QB spot right now. Don't act like Brock is a sitting target out there, he is a very large kid, and mobile. You don't have to be Michael Vick to be effective with your feet. I personally think that if the QB battle was actually as close as advertised, then I think they should still be that close and going into a home game against a lesser oponent would be a perfect chance to get a QB some game action. It can only help the team.

Gully
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Ask Bohl why he didn't do that last year? Jose got literally a couple seconds against against Wagner.

I agree. Also, why didn't Mertens get some time in 2 years prior to that?

Gully
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I don't know that any QB would have had more success the way our line was playing.....but we'll never know, because he won't try anyone else, he seems to get locked in on one QB.

Gully
09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
To be fair, if UNI would have caught some balls, Jose would have had 5 INT's. I am not sure who is the future, but nobody can tell me that Brock not do what is being done at the QB spot right now. Don't act like Brock is a sitting target out there, he is a very large kid, and mobile. You don't have to be Michael Vick to be effective with your feet. I personally think that if the QB battle was actually as close as advertised, then I think they should still be that close and going into a home game against a lesser oponent would be a perfect chance to get a QB some game action. It can only help the team.

In the words of the great Sambini, +++++++++++++++++++++++++