PDA

View Full Version : 3 observations so far

ThunderDan
09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
1. Tackleing definitely not a strong suite

2. Watching NDSU offense is physically painful.

3. Jose Mohler = Nick Mertens 2.0....although Mertens could run so more like version 1.5 i guess.

and i guess i need to add one more...defense is strong in the red zone....only reason we might have a chance in most games.

ok, i can't help it, Jose Mohler, you suck. Plain and simple. Yes, our o line is horrible. But, you stare at ONE fucking receiver on every play and if hes not open, you scramble, which more than likely leads to a sack. Bohl, your are stupid. Mohler will never be good. Realize that shit and make a change. No QB can do worse, trust that.

A1pigskin
09-12-2010, 03:12 AM
And too many penalties.

bison93
09-12-2010, 03:16 AM
O-Line looked bad. UNI seemed to have more team speed than us. Too many missed tackles to count. If the offense doesn't get things going, it's going to be .500 season..:hide:

Caves39
09-12-2010, 03:25 AM
My question on the O-line play is they average what 316 I think I heard. Well, how does 68 get absolutely owned by that midget playing d-line. Player of the game goes to the front five for those combined sacks on their own quarterback.

BisonBucky
09-12-2010, 03:29 AM
I don't place as much blame on Jose as I do on our coaches. This is the 3rd year in a row where it seems like our coaches fail to make the proper adjustments coming out of halftime. We have been very close in multiple games over the past 3 years, but we continuously fall short because our coaches are not making the right changes at halftime. I agree that Mohler is not going to win any Outstanding Offensive Player awards, but its not all his fault. This is by no means a fire Bohl thread either, I just think our coaches need to do a better job.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Entire offense looks pathetic. I said this after the Kansas game and got blasted for it.

We can't move the ball. Blocking is horsecr#p. We can't have the defense on the field for the entire game and expect to win.

On defense. WRAP YOUR ARMS!!!!! I mean really, how do you get to the point of playing 1-AA football and not be able to use the fundamentals.

SD moved the ball 12 time better against Minny than we did in two games thus far this year. :mad:

westnodak93bison
09-12-2010, 03:33 AM
ah, adjustments should be made during the game not just at half time imho.

bisonmike2
09-12-2010, 03:36 AM
ah, adjustments should be made during the game not just at half time imho.

exactly. The coaches shouldn't need a 15 min break to figure out that the running QB is killing us and that maybe we should spy him or that running between the takles the first 20 plays gained negative yardage, maybe we should try something else.

ThunderDan
09-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Jensen must be that much worse than Jose if Bohl didn't make a change at any point during this game....I mean, you can't be that imcompetent to not at least try him with the way things were going. But, Bohl does shave his eyebrows, so who knows what he is really thinking.

kingbison
09-12-2010, 03:45 AM
I don't understand why he should've pulled Jose. UNI got pressure both with and without blitzing. Then the Online is horrible so they didn't have to put the 8 in the box to stop the run. Yes he doesn't have the pocket presence yet but give the kid a break he got his ass kicked by that d-line

tjbison
09-12-2010, 03:46 AM
My observation is they just read my email on the post game!!!:nod: :nod:

Asked walker if he had some years left!!!:p

GRAFTONBISON
09-12-2010, 03:47 AM
If we have that kind of offensive play calling and execution we will be lucky to win another game all year. Absolutly brutal:banghead:

Did we have a wide receiver more than 5 yards down the field in the 1st 3 quarters (Mack reception not withstanding)? Either the wide receivers are terrible at getting open, the QB can't see them, or the routes are too predictable. Can anyone that was at the game give any indication??

Tackling was just as bad, if not worse than last year in my opinion.

I also don't think Mohler is the long term answer at QB, but I don't want to bash him after that overall offensive performance, so I will give him somewhat of a pass for now.

I am trying really hard to tell myself it is only the 2nd game of the season, but absolutly nothing in the recent past points to things changing anytime soon. I hope I am proven wrong.

aces1180
09-12-2010, 03:47 AM
I was listening on gobison, but they cut the feed...And KFGO.com doesn't have it...Lame.

kingbison
09-12-2010, 03:51 AM
I was listening on gobison, but they cut the feed...And KFGO.com doesn't have it...Lame.

Walker just responded about the predictable offense...His response. It's the sameplay book we had... except it worked when we ran it!

ThunderDan
09-12-2010, 03:52 AM
I will agree that Mohler didn't have much protection(obviously, he was sacked 11 times)
But how many of those sacks were his fault? And c'mon, anyone with half a brain saw him stare down one receiver every play....This kid is not going to be a winning QB at NDSU. Thats just the cold hard facts. I see nightmares of Nick Mertens when I watch him play.
Plus, it should have been a dead giveaway that he would not be good when LakesBison started bragging him up 2 years ago.

MN_BISON
09-12-2010, 03:55 AM

WTF, didn't someone post earlier this week that is problem was going to be taken care of, first the game and now this shit. I need to drink more.

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 03:59 AM
I will agree that Mohler didn't have much protection(obviously, he was sacked 11 times)
But how many of those sacks were his fault? And c'mon, anyone with half a brain saw him stare down one receiver every play....This kid is not going to be a winning QB at NDSU. Thats just the cold hard facts. I see nightmares of Nick Mertens when I watch him play.
Plus, it should have been a dead giveaway that he would not be good when LakesBison started bragging him up 2 years ago.

Honestly maybe two where is fault and he probably eluded about five sacks. I don't get this one receiver staring, the guy hit multiple receivers and moved the ball in the 4th whenever he wasn't running for his life. .

heckler
09-12-2010, 04:04 AM

3. Jose Mohler = Nick Mertens 2.0....although Mertens could run so more like version 1.5 i guess.

and i guess i need to add one more...defense is strong in the red zone....only reason we might have a chance in most games.

ok, i can't help it, Jose Mohler, you suck. Plain and simple. Yes, our o line is horrible. But, you stare at ONE fucking receiver on every play and if hes not open, you scramble, which more than likely leads to a sack. Bohl, your are stupid. Mohler will never be good. Realize that shit and make a change. No QB can do worse, trust that.

If our offense looks the same from last year and Mohler is starting to look like Mertens 2.0, where is the offensive coordinator/qb coach??

spelunker64
09-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Our Guard play was pretty bad on the o-line tonight. Last week I thought a major improvement over last year was the tackling and swarming to the ball. That was pretty absent tonight. I'm still questioning Vigen's play calling, I've never really been that impressed over the past couple years

ThunderDan
09-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Honestly maybe two where is fault and he probably eluded about five sacks. I don't get this one receiver staring, the guy hit multiple receivers and moved the ball in the 4th whenever he wasn't running for his life. .

Perhaps you don't quite understand what I mean by staring down one receiver...he may have hit multiple receivers, but he only looks for option #1 for each pass play....he doesn't check down his other options like any other QB would do.

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Perhaps you don't quite understand what I mean by staring down one receiver...he may have hit multiple receivers, but he only looks for option #1 for each pass play....he doesn't check down his other options like any other QB would do.

You gotta have time to be able to check down. When he had time he was able to see things more clearly. Mertens had a vapor lock on WR no matter what.

ThunderDan
09-12-2010, 04:31 AM
I think if you re-watch the game, you will see that Jose did not check down at all...it was pretty obvious. If you were checking down, you would not be throwing into 3 defenders ever.

Tatanka
09-12-2010, 04:33 AM
I think if you re-watch the game, you will see that Jose did not check down at all...it was pretty obvious. If you were checking down, you would not be throwing into 3 defenders ever.

1) can he see the whole field?
2) did he have time to check down?

serious questions btw

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 04:35 AM

He was doing that under pressure. Hard to check down when you spend half the game running for your life and have no chance to get into any kind of rhythm.

tjbison
09-12-2010, 04:36 AM
He was doing that under pressure. Hard to check down when you spend half the game running for your life and have no chance to get into any kind of rhythm.

You should know by now reasoning has gone out the window:smh:

TransAmBison
09-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Observation...Mohler seemed 300% more effective when he was rolling out and passing. Maybe something for the coaching staff to look at. He has never seemed great in the pocket. I will go back to drinking now.

Wally
09-12-2010, 04:39 AM
1) can he see the whole field?
2) did he have time to check down?

serious questions btw

I don't think he sees the whole field well. He is somewhat better when he rolls out and only has to read half the field.

As far as time to check down, not too often I recall. But when he did have a bit of time he gets locked on one guy.

I can't really remember the Kansas game details or games last year to compare though

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Yeah I forgot...hopefully by tomorrow we can talk about the game rationally.

tjbison
09-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Yeah I forgot...hopefully by tomorrow we can talk about the game rationally.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ThunderDan
09-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Well, all I have to say is that when a guy has "it", he has "it"
When Steve Walker came in against Northern Colorado and led us to victory, did anyone say, "well maybe he is lucky, it was a fluke"
He had the presence, the "it" factor.
Jose Mohler does not have this. End of story. Pretty sure there were people last year saying, "Give Mertens another game, he can do it"
Ok folks, whatever you say.
Delusion is a serious problem.

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 04:49 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok maybe by the time next week's game is over. ;)

Twentysix
09-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Entire offense looks pathetic. I said this after the Kansas game and got blasted for it.

We can't move the ball. Blocking is horsecr#p. We can't have the defense on the field for the entire game and expect to win.

On defense. WRAP YOUR ARMS!!!!! I mean really, how do you get to the point of playing 1-AA football and not be able to use the fundamentals.

SD moved the ball 12 time better against Minny than we did in two games thus far this year. :mad:

You get repped for this.

ndsubison1
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM

He is a sophomore. It's one game... My god. Our fan base overreacts so much

bisonmike2
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
We cannot win if we don't have an offense. At least last year we had Paschall. We have an o-line that can't block, a QB who can't throw (mainly because of the o-line) and a RB who can't run (again with the o-line) with receivers who can't catch. We're better off punting on first down so we don't give up a turnover deep in our end. I wish I were joking. If the offense struggles against Morgan State we will not beat USD or anyone else on this schedule. I hope everyone isn't taking Morgan State lightly. They got throttled by Maryland last week but even with the Maryland stats their defense is only giving up 2.8 yards per carry. So far this year the Bison are better on defense but much worse on offense, making it a wash, and essentially meaning that I'm watching the same type of team we had last year.

Call it overreaction, I'll call it reality.

BisoninNWMN
09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
#1: Our O-Line should be embarrassed with their performance. When 4 rushers can consistently get to our QB, there is something wrong with our talent on the line.

#2: WR talent is not there. Poor route running and the inability to get open is a huge factor in our inept passing game. Last year was the same thing. These guys are not even close to Heck and Travis White; they had the ability to get OPEN. Bring in younger players, if we have them, or we better start recruiting better athletes at WR.

#3: DJ is not even close to PP. I'll reserve total judgement on him until after the Morgan and USD games. They will not be as athletic on defense as UNI but he better show me something in these games. His production will be better with a better O-Line performance but good backs have the ability to make something out of nothing.

#4: Jose.....Well, he tried, I guess. I'll give him a pass this week with the horrible O-Line performance. He does stare down his #1 option. Our passing game plan is total horsesh**. Use the fricking TEs, play-action passes, FB flat passes......Vigen is not doing a very good job, IMO.

#5: Coaching staff.......Make some fricking adjustments. If there are 8 or 9 in the box, let the QB check-off to a quick pass to the receiver in the flat or a screen dump pass. When they only rush 3 or 4 check into a run to take advantage of the lack of defenders in the box. NO adjustments by the coaches.

#6 Our defense is good and will keep us in games but when you are on the field the whole game.......Offense, this goes back to them....sustain drives, period.

We just got beat by a better team. UNI's team speed on defense was very apparent. You can negate that somewhat with execution on offense but our offense was horrible.

This is one game and hopefully they put it behind them and get back to work this week. All is not lost but the Bison have a lot to work to do, esp on offense. Teams will continually stack the box to shut down the run to make us pass.....and if we cannot have an effective passing game, this will be a very long season for us all.

GO BISON

westnodak93bison
09-12-2010, 01:12 PM
the offense can be fixed imho

ben_slim
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
1) Red zone defence was good
2)offence line blocking was horrid
3)Jose is a work in progress.He's short,so he has to roll out to throw the ball with any velocity on a rope.
3)Where did our money kicker go?You can't miss a 30 yard field goal indoors and we have to hold our breath on extra points again!

SDbison
09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
1. Offense gameplan sucks. I mean ndsu must have the most vanilla set of plays ever. Easy for any team to prepare for.
2. Bohl sucks. Your team can beat fbs teams and lower level fcs teams but choke against average and better teams in mvfc.
3. Mohler sucks. Sorry but he is no better than mertens. I don't want to sit through entire games watching suckitude. Try somebody else. Took a long time to get stauss and mertens pulled so why do I have a bad feeling about this.
In summary the bison tailgate far exceeds the value of watching the bison play. The offense plain sucks just like the past 2 years and is painful to watch. At least then we had roehl and paschall. No more long roadtrips for me until this gets better. The opponents fans also think our offense is laughable.

No_Skill
09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Jensen must be that much worse than Jose if Bohl didn't make a change at any point during this game....I mean, you can't be that imcompetent to not at least try him with the way things were going. But, Bohl does shave his eyebrows, so who knows what he is really thinking.

Man, this sounds familiar. Oh yeah, substitute Jose for Jensen and Mertens for Jose.

BisonNeil
09-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not going to panic yet. I did not like what I saw at UNI, but in all honesty in my predicition of an 8-3 season I had us 0-2 at this point, so 1-1 puts me ahead.

With that said, the OL is struggling, especially in the interior. I don't know if Lund got hurt or not but regardless, they have a lot of work to do. The running game is way off and Mohler has little time to work back there.

The defense is also not as good as I thought it was going to be after KU.

Nonetheless, we are 1-1 going into a home game.

99Bison
09-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Interesting thought of the day...

Lauren McLaughlin of Bison VB team was out with an ankle injury yesterday and wearing a t-shirt that just said "Winners find a way."

Ironically, it seems that the FB team lost that attitude sometime in the last 2.2 years. No longer are they finding ways to win, rather ways to lose and further more excuses and rationalization. For example, comments from the leader like: "I'm surprised that we had an opportunity to win" and "It's going to be a long season" while they may be based in fact or even mis-interpreted seem odd to me this would come out of the team, much less the leader.

semobison
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
It has been very interesting reading this thread the morning after the game. A lot of us on Bisonville have opinions on what is wrong with our FB team. What I saw yesterday in UNI was a team that looked considerably faster and more athletic than the Bison. Our defense seemed to adapt to their speed, (the QB, and the little back Anderson), but our offense was overwhelmed by the speed of UNI's defense the whole game. If you look at the teams who have won FCS national championships recently, App. St., Richmond etc...these are teams with great team speed. Do we need to change our recuiting? Can slower power teams win championships at this level? The better, faster, more athletic team won yesterdays game. We were lucky to keep it as close as it was!

gizmo
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Can slower power teams win championships at this level?

NO!!!!

Our "O" line may average over 300 pounds but so what? They led the charge to -40 yards rushing at UNI for gawd's sake! I've never even heard of such a thing at any level of football. Apparently the line needs to get out of the chow line and get into the weight room... and perhaps take up jogging to lose 40-50 pounds per man.

clenz
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM

It's hard to see the field well when this is your view the whole game

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/NewPicture.jpg?t=1284311322

56BISON73
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not going to panic yet. I did not like what I saw at UNI, but in all honesty in my predicition of an 8-3 season I had us 0-2 at this point, so 1-1 puts me ahead.

With that said, the OL is struggling, especially in the interior. I don't know if Lund got hurt or not but regardless, they have a lot of work to do. The running game is way off and Mohler has little time to work back there.

The defense is also not as good as I thought it was going to be after KU.

Nonetheless, we are 1-1 going into a home game.

That pretty much says it all short story wise. One thing nobody has said so far is UNI had us scouted to a T. They stuffed us from the get go. We didnt have them scouted as they hadnt played yet and they are basically a new team. Not having any information on your opponent at this level is crucial.
Other than that UNI is a very good team. Very physical and REALLY really fast
. How we were in a position to tie this game at the end I still havent figured out yet.

56BISON73
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
It has been very interesting reading this thread the morning after the game. A lot of us on Bisonville have opinions on what is wrong with our FB team. What I saw yesterday in UNI was a team that looked considerably faster and more athletic than the Bison. Our defense seemed to adapt to their speed, (the QB, and the little back Anderson), but our offense was overwhelmed by the speed of UNI's defense the whole game. If you look at the teams who have won FCS national championships recently, App. St., Richmond etc...these are teams with great team speed. Do we need to change our recuiting? Can slower power teams win championships at this level? The better, faster, more athletic team won yesterdays game. We were lucky to keep it as close as it was!

You hit the nail on the head

NDSUstudent
09-12-2010, 05:30 PM
One thing Bohl and Vigen need to do is figure out how to get the other team off balance early. Its like we come into every game wanting to pound teams with that same power running play, at least at KU we passed the first three plays and put KU back on their heals a bit.

Every team is going to key off our power running play until we can prove that we beat them in other ways.

tjbison
09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
It's hard to see the field well when this is your view the whole game

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/NewPicture.jpg?t=1284311322

I totally agree:smh: :smh: :banghead:

buffalobob
09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
NO!!!!

Our "O" line may average over 300 pounds but so what? They led the charge to -40 yards rushing at UNI for gawd's sake! I've never even heard of such a thing at any level of football. Apparently the line needs to get out of the chow line and get into the weight room... and perhaps take up jogging to lose 40-50 pounds per man.

That is possibly the most idiotic thing I've ever read. We are all now dumber for having read this!:banghead:

JSUBison
09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
That pretty much says it all short story wise. One thing nobody has said so far is UNI had us scouted to a T. They stuffed us from the get go. We didnt have them scouted as they hadnt played yet and they are basically a new team. Not having any information on your opponent at this level is crucial.
Other than that UNI is a very good team. Very physical and REALLY really fast
. How we were in a position to tie this game at the end I still havent figured out yet.

Delaware didn't seem to have that problem with SDSU though?

56BISON73
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Delaware didn't seem to have that problem with SDSU though?

You can always find the exception. But from what Ive seen of that game UD kicked there ass. Why??? Out manned by a superior team? Lots of variables.
But if you watched our game UNI had us pegged. They didnt do it by happens chance.