PDA

View Full Version : Hello From MT

tojo70
09-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself....FWIW: There should be an "introduce yourself thread" here. (Unless I missed it.)
I live in Kalispell, MT about 120 miles north of the powerhouse University of Montana Grizzlies (site of the "Miracle in Montana" of 2003) I grew up in Moorhead and am a die-hard Bison fan. I remember watching the Bison at Dakota Field in Blizzards, and 20 below weather and it was the best time of my life. I remember being in high school laughing about how in one year in the 80's when playoff teams were determined by rankings: The top 16 teams made it into the playoffs regardless of conference or divisions.....One year (can't remember exactly what year it was, but I think it was either 85 or 86) 2 of the top 10 teams had to lose and one of the teams had to tie for the Bison to make it into the playoffs and it happened! What I remember laughing about is that the players had all turned in their pads and went away for the Thanksgiving Weekend and they showed shots of the coaches trying to get all the players back in to practice. There were guys out in deer stands and a lot of them that thought it was a joke, but needless to say they got them all back in and it was one of the years we won the National Championship.
I mentioned the Grizzlies before, because I've become a big fan of theirs. They remind me of the Bison of the 80's. They play outdoors, they have a great in state rivalry with MSU Bobcats called the "Brawl of the Wild" and they play hard nosed in your face football.
I cheer for the Griz, but believe me I would be right there cheering for the Bison if they ever met. If that does happen, and its out here in Missoula I can give a few tips on the local scene.
Well, that's all for now, just wanted to introduce myself and will be posting a few things on here from time to time. But one of the things that I'm most interested in is the changing tide in college football. Cal-Poly and UC-Davis just joined us in the Big Sky Conference. There are going to be a lot of changes over the next few years and I've listened to the AD of Montana speak a couple of times and it's going to get VERY interesting.

99Bison
09-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Welcome, yes that was 85 :).

How's Kalispell? Have occasionally though about skiing up there.

ndsubison1
09-10-2010, 05:41 AM
That was random.

Kalispell is a cool little town. Welcome to Bisonville!

tojo70
09-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Welcome, yes that was 85 :).

How's Kalispell? Have occasionally though about skiing up there.

Kalispell is good, but the economy's hurting right now, but the tourist industry is helping.
If you want to come here and ski, I suggest going to Blacktail Mountain. The most known skiing is Big Mountain up in Whitefish. Big Mountain has been around since 1947, and Whitefish is a great place to hang out (the tallest building in town is the brewery). The ski resort was sold to a conglomerate in 2003 and they are trying to turn it into another "hoity-toity" Vail resort, so a lot of the locals are pissed.
Blacktail mountain is just south of Kalispell and it's more family friendly and a lot cheaper. Haven't skied Whitefish, but have skied Blacktail. The views from top of the mountains are unbelievable. You can see Flathead Lake the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi from either of them.

BlueBisonRock
09-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Tojo, Welcome to the board.

I spent a few of my formative years in MT. We lived a bit south of you in Anaconda. I have a number of memories of the mountains as well as the long trips back to ND. Looking forward to your bringing solid information about the Montana teams and the Big Sky.

99Bison
09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Kalispell is good, but the economy's hurting right now, but the tourist industry is helping.
If you want to come here and ski, I suggest going to Blacktail Mountain. The most known skiing is Big Mountain up in Whitefish. Big Mountain has been around since 1947, and Whitefish is a great place to hang out (the tallest building in town is the brewery). The ski resort was sold to a conglomerate in 2003 and they are trying to turn it into another "hoity-toity" Vail resort, so a lot of the locals are pissed.
Blacktail mountain is just south of Kalispell and it's more family friendly and a lot cheaper. Haven't skied Whitefish, but have skied Blacktail. The views from top of the mountains are unbelievable. You can see Flathead Lake the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi from either of them.

Cool thanks.

No_Skill
09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
My in-laws have a home on Flathead Lake, so I'm very familiar with that area. It's definitely beautiful country.

If I remember correctly, we play Montana at Wash-Griz in 2012.

Correction: Montana State plays in Fargo Sept. 7 2013
Montana plays in Fargo Sept. 6 2014 (assuming it doesn't get bought out)
We play @ Montana Sept. 5 2015

jarhead
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Welcome to Bisonville. Kalispell & Whitefish are God's country. Recom-
mend the Grouse Mountain Lodge in Whitefish. 800 miles of ugly between here and there though. Looking forward to renewing our old rivalry with the Grizz.