PDA

View Full Version : Where does this (KU) rank in program wins?

DjKyRo
09-06-2010, 06:16 AM
A lot of people describe the 2007 Minnesota game as one of, if not the, biggest win in program history - how does the victory of Kansas compare? One article did a great story on breaking down what "worst" meant in terms of a loss, in that it varies if you quantify it as "most points margin" or "most emotional." Obviously this game didn't have the high-powered offense that the '06 and '07 performances did and the scoreboard didn't exactly light up, but I think emotion-wise this has to be the greatest all-time; NDSU needed a big win to reignite the passion for the football program and to jump-start a season that looked in question and we got it.

Personally, I'd rank this at the very top if only for the emotion attached to the game - I think Drunk DJKyRo might have shed a tear or two as I was hopping up and down in our living room high-fiving and hugging the other guys that had come over to watch the game, and I don't remember doing that for any other sporting event ever (including the '09 Summit League championship).

What're the other ideas out there?

ndsubison1
09-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I would say 2nd, esp. since were coming off a 3-8 season

North Side
09-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Minnesota win was the best win vs an FBS team because the performance of Roehl, the Minnesota ND rivalry, and just that fact that NDSU had never gone on the road against a major FBS school. I think we have played bigger games vs FCS teams though but they didn't get the national attention.

lakesbison
09-06-2010, 06:23 AM
#2 with a BULLET, our defense kept a freakin BIG 12 team out of the endzone..... ya our offense sucked but Kansas has a great defense.

The 1st gopher game was like "holy crap, we might beat these guys by surprise"

The 2nd gopher game, they knew and they're fans knew and the media knew that NDSU was coming and they COULDNT STOP US and we SHOVED it down their ThROATS. THATS #1.

any other fcs game meant nothing.

56BISON73
09-06-2010, 06:30 AM
A lot of people describe the 2007 Minnesota game as one of, if not the, biggest win in program history - how does the victory of Kansas compare? One article did a great story on breaking down what "worst" meant in terms of a loss, in that it varies if you quantify it as "most points margin" or "most emotional." Obviously this game didn't have the high-powered offense that the '06 and '07 performances did and the scoreboard didn't exactly light up, but I think emotion-wise this has to be the greatest all-time; NDSU needed a big win to reignite the passion for the football program and to jump-start a season that looked in question and we got it.

Personally, I'd rank this at the very top if only for the emotion attached to the game - I think Drunk DJKyRo might have shed a tear or two as I was hopping up and down in our living room high-fiving and hugging the other guys that had come over to watch the game, and I don't remember doing that for any other sporting event ever (including the '09 Summit League championship).

What're the other ideas out there?

In this era which would be a short collective memory for many here is seems that anything that happens NOW is to be considered the greatest moment because you experienced it.
But to put it in perspective what would you think if NDSU were to beat a team that was considered a National power? Would that be the greatest moment. Now think about that for a minute. The Bison beating a national power??? Where would that rank?

Now heres the rub---The bison in the 60s beat Grambling in a bowl game when Grambling was tough and considered amongst the national sports writers right along side of some of the bigs. NDSU was an unknown at the time.

Where would you rank that game?

silkamilkamonico
09-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Montana was #1 for sure, just in the way we won that game, what it meant for our transition, and the fact that that Montana team would have probably beat both the Gophers and Kansas teams we beat.

Just MHO.

DjKyRo
09-06-2010, 06:34 AM
In this era which would be a short collective memory for many here is seems that anything that happens NOW is to be considered the greatest moment because you experienced it.
But to put it in perspective what would you think if NDSU were to beat a team that was considered an National power. Would that be the greatest moment. Now think about that for a minute. If the Bison beating a national power??? Where would that rank?

Now heres the rub---The bison in the 60s beat Grambling in a bowl game when Grambling was tough and considered amongst the national sports writers right along side of some of the bigs. NDSU was an unknown at the time.

Where would you rank that game?

I see your point 56/73, and it's a good one - I consider games before the championship era to be of a different sort but surely just as important. Plus, in the modern days where we have things like television exposure on mainstream audiences there are factors that play in now that didn't then. The Grambling game was obviously one that paved the way for future greatness and I didn't intend to downplay those at all - I simply consider those of a different era but just as important to the proud history NDSU has put together.

If I may, allow me to re-phrase - does the Kansas victory rank highly in the more modern era of Bison Football?

ndsubison1
09-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Montana was #1 for sure, just in the way we won that game, what it meant for our transition, and the fact that that Montana team would have probably beat both the Gophers and Kansas teams we beat.

Just MHO.

interesting. i will put the KU win at 3 then

Grizzled
09-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Minnesota easily #1. Montana #2.

I think the win vs. Central Michigan was more impressive than this win. Kansas had zero offense and couldn't even attempt to stretch the field and doesn't have the personel to do it vs. anyone this year. My dad and I where watching warmups on Saturday and he has watched Bison games for years and he predicted the only way Kansas scores is by breaking off a big run. QB struggled throwing when there wasn't even a defense there. Central Michigan had a NFL qb under center. I still think that win is very underrated.

56BISON73
09-06-2010, 06:42 AM
I see your point 56/73, and it's a good one - I consider games before the championship era to be of a different sort but surely just as important. Plus, in the modern days where we have things like television exposure on mainstream audiences there are factors that play in now that didn't then. The Grambling game was obviously one that paved the way for future greatness and I didn't intend to downplay those at all - I simply consider those of a different era but just as important to the proud history NDSU has put together.

If I may, allow me to re-phrase - does the Kansas victory rank highly in the more modern era of Bison Football?

Absoluetly just as the Minnesota game does. But just to make myself clear--nobody is more proud of them winning those two games than Iam. I look at those games as something that should have been accomplished along time ago and they are stepping stones in the continual evolution of the Bison football program. But still they are great wins.

56BISON73
09-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Minnesota easily #1. Montana #2.

I think the win vs. Central Michigan was more impressive than this win. Kansas had zero offense and couldn't even attempt to stretch the field and doesn't have the personel to do it vs. anyone this year. My dad and I where watching warmups on Saturday and he has watched Bison games for years and he predicted the only way Kansas scores is by breaking off a big run. QB struggled throwing when there wasn't even a defense there. Central Michigan had a NFL qb under center. I still think that win is very underrated.

The Bison seal clubbed CM. It was an impressive victory

semobison
09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
This win is reminds me of the Montana win. Both big wins, coming off losing seasons. A springboard to better days. Lets not forget though, in 2003 we lost our last game of the year at St. Cloud and missed the d-II playoffs!

Bison06
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
This win is reminds me of the Montana win. Both big wins, coming off losing seasons. A springboard to better days. Lets not forget though, in 2003 we lost our last game of the year at St. Cloud and missed the d-II playoffs!

That game was played on an ice rink and was a joke, there is no way we should have lost that game. We were by far the better team, that wasn't even football, it was people running around trying not to fall down. That game still pisses me off.

SDbison
09-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Would be fun to create and rank a list of top 20 Bison football games since inception of the college game with a short storyline for each. I think there would be good debate about games left off the list or others that might belong. And of course always tough to decide the order of the top 5. Might be some agreement about who is in the top 5, but exact position would vary.
I agree with PL, the Grambling win was a big deal and got the modern era of Bison football going. Where does it belong, in the top 5? Some of the 1980 - 1990 playoff games, how do they fit in. Ball State was a big step too as it was the first win over a FBS (DI-A) team. Montana, Central Michigan (I believe they won their Bowl Game that year), Minnesota and Kansas. All near the top too!
Great idea for a future Bison Illustrated football article!

NDSU1980
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
To me, the Minnesota victory will always be #1, but I agree with PL that the Grambling game ranks right up there. I don't think I watched that game, but I clearly remember the TV ads promoting the game. They had about the crudest graphics you could get with an announcer voice over. Apparently KXJB didn't want to spend much money on the commercial. I just remember how good it felt that a team from ND was playing in this huge game. Not even sure if it was referred to as a national championship.

As to rankings, I'd say after Minnesota, the games all just kind of run together. Every big victory just seems equal. It's kinda like ranking Lakes' girls, every one has it's high points.

tjbison
09-06-2010, 05:23 PM
My top 5 since 2000.

1. Central Mich- They won the conference and a Bowl game and we literally beat the shit out of them and I was proud as hell

2. Minnesota - BCS win and with all the players from Minnesota it was great

3. Montana - I mean seriuosly nobody gave us a chance especially after the first half

4. Ball St - just because it was the first FBS win they were not that good then but we were newbies

5. KU - wasn't impressed with them and I knew if we played to our potential we would win

I know KU is a BCS but they suck, so I might put it as a tie with Ball St

Herd80
09-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I have to go this order, for these reasons:

1) Minnesota; the national TV exposure, the presence of 20,000 fans at an away game, beating a BCS conference team, the general "feel" at the game and beyond were all outstanding

2) Montana; the win validated the move up, and the excitement generated by beating one of the top teams in 1-AA geared us up for the transition

3) Kansas; how can you argue with winning at a Big XII school? I don't care if Kansas "sucks" (which remains to be seen), it's a Big XII for god's sake.

4) Central Michigan; the only reason this win lands at number 4 is the image factor. It may have been, in fact, our best win...although I would argue that for opponent strength, Montana may have rivaled Cent Mich.