PDA

View Full Version : Will we be ranked in this week's polls?

HandoEX
09-06-2010, 03:25 AM
I know polls don't mean squat right now, but just want to hear what the consensus is from our fan base. I think we'll be about #20.

Anyone know if any FCS ranked teams lost this week?

onbison09
09-06-2010, 03:30 AM
I would guess we would be ranked or get a lot of votes.

SDbison
09-06-2010, 03:30 AM
I know polls don't mean squat right now, but just want to hear what the consensus is from our fan base. I think we'll be about #20.

I agree, somewhere between 20 and 25 is well deserved at this time.

lakesbison
09-06-2010, 03:33 AM
If not top 10 then its bull!!!! We beat a big 12 team. Show me ANY fcs tram that has done that....tell me

NDSUstudent
09-06-2010, 03:33 AM
We'll be ranked, probably in the low 20s. I had NDSU 17th in my AGS ballot.

JSUBison
09-06-2010, 03:35 AM

Villanova
William Mary
Elon
Richmond
SFA
S Carolina State
Eastern Wash
Weber State

All lost to FBS except William and Mary which lost to UMASS.

HandoEX
09-06-2010, 03:45 AM
1. Villanova Wildcats (104) 14-1 3,112 1 LOSS: TEMPLE
2. Montana Grizzlies (9) 14-1 2,899 2 WIN: WESTERN STATE
3. Appalachian State Mountaineers (8) 11-3 2,857 3 WIN: CHATTANOOGA
4. William & Mary Tribe (3) 11-3 2,631 4 LOSS: UMASS
5. Southern Illinois Salukis (1) 11-2 2,569 6 WIN: QUINCY
6. Richmond Spiders (1) 11-2 2,317 5 LOSS: VIRGINIA
7. Elon Phoenix 9-3 2,243 9 LOSS: DUKE
8. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks 10-3 2,041 10 LOSS: TEXAS A&M
9. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 8-4 1,863 11 IDLE
10. New Hampshire Wildcats 10-3 1,837 7 WIN: CENTRAL CONN. STATE
11. South Carolina State Bulldogs 10-2 1,607 8 LOSS: GEORGIA TECH
12. McNeese State Cowboys 9-3 1,475 12 WIN: LAMAR
13. Eastern Washington Eagles 8-4 1,422 13 LOSS: NEVADA
14. Northern Iowa Panthers 7-4 1,269 18 IDLE
15. James Madison Dukes 6-5 1,237 NR WIN: MOREHEAD STATE
16. Delaware Blue Hens 6-5 879 NR WIN: WEST CHESTER
17. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 8-3 833 16 WIN: OLE MISS
18. Eastern Illinois Panthers 8-4 762 19 LOSS: IOWA
19. Weber State Wildcats 7-5 716 17 LOSS: BOSTON COLLEGE
20. Prairie View A&M Panthers 9-1 709 15 WIN: TEXAS SOUTHERN
21. Liberty Flames 8-3 633 22 WIN: ST FRANCIS
22. Colgate Raiders 9-2 608 21 WIN: MOMMOUTH
23. Penn Quakers 8-2 593 20 IDLE
24. Montana State Bobcats 7-4 584 NR WIN: FORT LEWIS
25. Holy Cross Crusaders 9-3 560 14 WIN: HOWARD

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
09-06-2010, 03:46 AM

#4 William and Mary lost to unranked UMass 23-27. So I would guess UMass could move up into the FCS polls, and I doubt W&M drops out complete.

Also #17 Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss in that thriller 2OT game 49-48, so they should probably move up from that 17 spot.

#1 Villanova lost to temple in a close game, 24-31

#7 Elon lost to Duke 27-41

#8 Richmond lost to Virginia 13-34

#10 South Carolina State lost to Georgia Tech 10-41

#11 Stephen F. Austin lost to Texas A&M 7-48

#14 Eastern Washington lost to Nevada 24-49

#18 Weber State lost to Boston College 20-38

#21 Eastern Illinois lost to Iowa 7-37

The rest of the ranked teams either won or had a bye week one. The fact that every one of these losses are against D1 (FBS) teams, I doubt you see really any movement in the rankings this week for D1aa (FCS).

JMO

DjKyRo
09-06-2010, 03:48 AM
I dunno, earning about 500 or so votes is going to be tough, a lot of teams above us in the polls (more votes but unranked) did pretty well. I think we stay unranked but get really close (where Illinois St. is right now about) and get ranked if we beat UNI on Saturday.

tony
09-06-2010, 03:51 AM
I would much, much rather see NDSU with a 2-0 record a week from now than receive a place in the polls this week... but I'd say 24 is appropriate... for now.

HandoEX
09-06-2010, 03:52 AM
It would be an absolute shame if we don't get ranked in the top 25. There are more than a few teams that would not be able to beat Kansas.

lakesbison
09-06-2010, 04:07 AM
Most fcs would shit their pants.at KU. WE killed them with only our defense. Ndsu better be 10-15 else the voters are officially challenged.

stevdock
09-06-2010, 04:12 AM
If not top 10 then its bull!!!! We beat a big 12 team. Show me ANY fcs tram that has done that....tell me

Jacksonville St beat an SEC team. Most everyone agrees that SEC football is better than Big 12 football. So at the very least Jacksonville St is better than we are based on that.

steelbison
09-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Most fcs would shit their pants.at KU. WE killed them with only our defense. Ndsu better be 10-15 else the voters are officially challenged.

Let's put it this way. When we beat UNI next week we should crack the top 10

If not the voters are "officially challenged"

Bison15
09-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Just hoping we can reproduce the same kind of play at UNI next week. Rankings shouldn't mean crap right now, for our players or fans. We still have a lot to prove. Can we keep it up, I think so. We defiantly proved we can play and are much improved from last year.

steelbison
09-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Just hoping we can reproduce the same kind of play at UNI next week. Rankings shouldn't mean crap right now, for our players or fans. We still have a lot to prove. Can we keep it up, I think so. We defiantly proved we can play and are much improved from last year.

Totally agree! pre-season polls mean little.

But you beat KU and UNI on the road and IMO hard not to be ranked in the top 12

NDSUFan_Sav
09-06-2010, 04:38 AM
It would be an absolute shame if we don't get ranked in the top 25. There are more than a few teams that would not be able to beat Kansas.

hate to say it but saying teams cant beat ku wont affect the polls playing the game would and to me right now i agree with tony i rather see us go beat uni then really see where our team is at we have a lot of work to do

NDSUFan_Sav
09-06-2010, 04:42 AM
id rather be #1 when the year/playoffs is over with because that shiws we were deserving of it but until then we got work to do

tjbison
09-06-2010, 04:50 AM
I hope we get snubbed, I personally feel these polls can hurt a team especially a young team like ours, these kids go 3-0 then we should walk up, but I just don't want some meaningless poll to explode the guys heads. All that matters is if we are top 5 in the final week

56BISON73
09-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Play good football and win your games and the polls will take care of themselves.

No_Skill
09-06-2010, 05:05 AM
The polls only mattered when we were in transition. They are meaningless now.

bisonmike2
09-06-2010, 05:09 AM
at this stage of the season we should only be concerned with one type of pole.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MDZPs8ROJXE/Sayj4kWGeEI/AAAAAAAAAmo/Xi2E7FFKlUs/s320/stripper-pole.JPG

And by we, I mean us the fans, not the players. Players please stay away from those poles until the off season.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-06-2010, 05:16 AM
at this stage of the season we should only be concerned with one type of pole.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MDZPs8ROJXE/Sayj4kWGeEI/AAAAAAAAAmo/Xi2E7FFKlUs/s320/stripper-pole.JPG

And by we, I mean us the fans, not the players. Players please stay away from those poles until the off season.

i hope your not trying to say you want to pole dance

ndsubison1
09-06-2010, 06:09 AM

richmond. nova

i think we'll be 20th

lakesbison
09-06-2010, 06:24 AM
what OTHER DAM FCS TEAM CAN SAY THEY HAVE BEATEN 4 FBS SCHOOLS in 5 YEARS???? HUH???

WE SHOULD BE TOP 10-15, WE DID IT WITHOUT AN OFFENSE!!

HerdBot
09-06-2010, 06:41 AM
#4 William and Mary lost to unranked UMass 23-27. So I would guess UMass could move up into the FCS polls, and I doubt W&M drops out complete.

Also #17 Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss in that thriller 2OT game 49-48, so they should probably move up from that 17 spot.

#1 Villanova lost to temple in a close game, 24-31

#7 Elon lost to Duke 27-41

#8 Richmond lost to Virginia 13-34

#10 South Carolina State lost to Georgia Tech 10-41

#11 Stephen F. Austin lost to Texas A&M 7-48

#14 Eastern Washington lost to Nevada 24-49

#18 Weber State lost to Boston College 20-38

#21 Eastern Illinois lost to Iowa 7-37

The rest of the ranked teams either won or had a bye week one. The fact that every one of these losses are against D1 (FBS) teams, I doubt you see really any movement in the rankings this week for D1aa (FCS).

JMO

We should be ranked but probably lower than we deserve even though most would agree that this win makes us deserving of a high ranking.

IMO, getting blown out by an FBS team shouldn't be a reason to continue to be ranked considering it was a ridiculous pre season poll.

Is Stephen F Austin worthy of a ranking since they lost to unranked Texas A&M 48-7?

Should Elon be awarded for losing to Duke by 2 TD's? I didn't even realize Duke had a football team.

Eastern Illinois was trailing Iowa 31-7 at halftime and then they couldn't score against their 2nd stringers. Is that an accomplishment?

Richmond lost by 3 TD's to an unranked Virginia. Is that good?

ndsubison1
09-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Most teams who lost to FBS schools shouldnt fall down too much IMO

HerdBot
09-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Most teams who lost to FBS schools shouldnt fall down too much IMO

What about the ones who got their ass handed to unranked FBS schools? Is that really an accomplishment? I'm not for celebrating mediocrity.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-06-2010, 07:16 AM
What about the ones who got their ass handed to unranked FBS schools? Is that really an accomplishment? I'm not for celebrating mediocrity.

I don't think the score really matters to be honest with you, I'm not exactly sure how they look at it anymore

HerdBot
09-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I don't think the score really matters to be honest with you, I'm not exactly sure how they look at it anymore

I'm trying to come up with some sort of analogy of how idiotic it would be to not judge something by a score.

DjKyRo
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm trying to come up with some sort of analogy of how idiotic it would be to not judge something by a score.

This is an interesting point - my mind goes to the Fiesta Bowl last season between Boise St. and TCU, both top 5 teams (TCU might have been 6th or something). The final score was 17-10 and a lot of critics of non-BCS conferences used it as ammo saying "Look, they can't even beat each other, they don't belong here" yet they were undoubtedly two of the best teams in the nation. Score doesn't necessarily indicate the effort it implies, but then again it might. Obviously the Bison offense didn't drop any jaws but the defense might make us good enough to deserve a ranking in some peoples' eyes.

Mr. Burgundy
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Lets just pretend you had a vote.....you are looking at your options and you realize that a team that is very well recognized nationally (NDSU at our level) went to a Big 12 school and punched them in the mouth. Giving up 3 points. You are tellling me you aren't going to rank them? Rating change alot in the early weeks. The Bison should be top 15. PERIOD. I am with Lakes 100% on this one. The coachspeak in me says it doesn't matter, and it could be the grudge the players want to keep. I like that.

But on paper, you don't go into the home of a Big 12 school and be unranked. That is a joke.

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
09-06-2010, 12:55 PM
We should be ranked but probably lower than we deserve even though most would agree that this win makes us deserving of a high ranking.

IMO, getting blown out by an FBS team shouldn't be a reason to continue to be ranked considering it was a ridiculous pre season poll.

Is Stephen F Austin worthy of a ranking since they lost to unranked Texas A&M 48-7?

Should Elon be awarded for losing to Duke by 2 TD's? I didn't even realize Duke had a football team.

Eastern Illinois was trailing Iowa 31-7 at halftime and then they couldn't score against their 2nd stringers. Is that an accomplishment?

Richmond lost by 3 TD's to an unranked Virginia. Is that good?

I never said they deserve to stay ranked where they are, I am just saying I dont expect them to move much since they lost to FBS. If I was a voter I would move NDSU into the top 20 forsure, but I am not a voter. I am just not gonna expect NDSU to move up far. If they do, good, if they dont, oh well, prove the voters wrong again by beating UNI. But again, the win vs UNI might not help too much either because they didnt even get votes in the polls this year. Thats just my guess. Im not sure how the voters decide on their votes. Thats why it shouldnt really matter until after week 4 or so.

NorthernBison
09-06-2010, 01:15 PM
If it's all the same to you guys, I'd prefer to see this team get snubbed for a bit longer. I think it is better if they think they have something to prove and keep getting reminded of that fact. I'll settle for high poll rankings farther along in the season.

Da Bison
09-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I just hope we get more votes than ISU blue this week:banghead: :banghead:

Kermit
09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Lets just pretend you had a vote.....you are looking at your options and you realize that a team that is very well recognized nationally (NDSU at our level) went to a Big 12 school and punched them in the mouth. Giving up 3 points. You are tellling me you aren't going to rank them? Rating change alot in the early weeks. The Bison should be top 15. PERIOD. I am with Lakes 100% on this one. The coachspeak in me says it doesn't matter, and it could be the grudge the players want to keep. I like that.

But on paper, you don't go into the home of a Big 12 school and be unranked. That is a joke.

We got one of two huge wins for FCS on Saturday. Our team didn't have a single good win against an FCS opponent last season. Much of the FCS world is skeptical about the Bison program based on the past couple of years. A win at UNI this week would start to change that, probably in a big way. I don't mind the disrespect if it means our team will play with a chip on their shoulders. I really don't give a d**n about the polls at this point in the season. Lets win some more games. The week there is a HUGE football game in Cedar Falls!

Go Bison!!

imabison
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
what OTHER DAM FCS TEAM CAN SAY THEY HAVE BEATEN 4 FBS SCHOOLS in 5 YEARS???? HUH???

It absolutely does NOT matter to the pollsters how well a team did the previous year after the preseason poll. 1 game at a time, and take care of business.

semobison
09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Who cares! We are 1-0, and some of you are concerned about where we are ranked. If we win the conference, we are in. Thats the great thing about FCS. Championships are decided on the field, not in a friggen poll!

OldBison
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I hope we get snubbed, I personally feel these polls can hurt a team especially a young team like ours, these kids go 3-0 then we should walk up, but I just don't want some meaningless poll to explode the guys heads. All that matters is if we are top 5 in the final week

Yep, what he said :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I would like them to play with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove :hungry:

OldBison
09-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Like Gill said, it's only one game :bow:

lakesbison
09-06-2010, 03:38 PM
ok guys, sure, be small think small.

NDSU needs to be ranked #15.

if you are a skeptic or an actual VOTER, PLEASE.
answer these 2 questions:

#1. what FCS team EVER has gone into a BIG 12 and won?

#2 what FCS PROGRAM has beaten 4 FBS teams in 4 years? (4-3 now)

NOT 1 FCS program can say that.

bisonmike2
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM

BFD if we're not ranked. This is FCS football, not FBS. If we win our games will get to prove we're the best in the playoffs, we're not jockeying for a ranking like FBS schools.

HerdBot
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
BFD if we're not ranked. This is FCS football, not FBS. If we win our games will get to prove we're the best in the playoffs, we're not jockeying for a ranking like FBS schools.

I get what your sayiing but polls determine seedings and home games. The more home games the better chance of playoff success.

semobison
09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Read my lips Lakes! The FCS championship is won on the field! Polls dont mean squat!

bisonmike2
09-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I get what your sayiing but polls determine seedings and home games. The more home games the better chance of playoff success.

Point taken. But with our schedule, I'm not too concerned if we aren't ranked after 1 game. A big game, yes, but winning big games in the MVFC will get us to the top of the rankings.

tjbison
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Lakes Jacksonville St won its 4th FBS game on Saturday.

And Ole Miss was probably a better opponent than KU

semobison
09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
PLAYOFFS, YOU TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFFS, PLAYOFFS!!....One game at a time folks, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Win the conference and things will fall into place!

NorthernBison
09-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Lakes Jacksonville St won its 4th FBS game on Saturday.

And Ole Miss was probably a better opponent than KU

I think that is an understatement. Their win over Ole Miss was huge and I think Ole Miss would hammer KU.

I heard on ESPN that FCS teams have beaten FBS opponents a total of 20 times since 2004. Our 4 is 20% of the total. Certainly quite a stat.

THe Bison better not expect that simply showing up means a win against UNI. I prefer the chip on the shoulder.

SDbison
09-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I think that is an understatement. Their win over Ole Miss was huge and I think Ole Miss would hammer KU.

I heard on ESPN that FCS teams have beaten FBS opponents a total of 20 times since 2004. Our 4 is 20% of the total. Certainly quite a stat.

THe Bison better not expect that simply showing up means a win against UNI. I prefer the chip on the shoulder.
Jacksonville State has been in FBS for much longer than NDSU too (since the mid 1980's?). If NDSU truly has 20% of the total FBS victories since 2004 that is awesome. Now lets go win some championships!

NWNDBison
09-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Point taken. But with our schedule, I'm not too concerned if we aren't ranked after 1 game. A big game, yes, but winning big games in the MVFC will get us to the top of the rankings.

I agree with those who believe we are better off being shunned by the polls a bit longer. We have not proven ourselves in FCS.

To those who believe we deserve a spot in the polls, we'd have stood a lot better chance if we had shown some offense on Sat. At one point in the game the Fox College Sportscasters said it could easily have been 21-3. If it had been, we'd be ranked.

I can wait another week. If we beat UNI, then we will deserve to be in the polls.

tjbison
09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Jacksonville State has been in FBS for much longer than NDSU too (since the mid 1980's?). If NDSU truly has 20% of the total FBS victories since 2004 that is awesome. Now lets go win some championships!

Not that ESPN facts are always correct but they stated J St won a DII championship in 1992?? I haven't researched it

MN_Moose
09-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Q. what FCS team EVER has gone into a BIG 12 and won?
A.Northern Iowa Sep 08, 2007 at Iowa State W, 24-13

Q. what FCS PROGRAM has beaten 4 FBS teams in 4 years?
A. Nov. 18 1989 Delaware 10 Navy 9
Nov. 3 1990 Delaware 35 Connecticut 21
Oct. 26 1991 Delaware 29 Navy 25
Oct. 24 1992 Delaware 37 Navy 21

by the way, United States Naval Academy in NCAA Division I-A college football. They are a Division I Football Bowl Subdivision independent school

NDSUFan_Sav
09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Not that ESPN facts are always correct but they stated J St won a DII championship in 1992?? I haven't researched it

they have been around in 1-AA since 93-94 year

honestly who cares tho lets worry about our bison....
also during the usa's men basketball they mentioned bothfcs teams that beat fbs schools and said north dakota st

Twentysix
09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Didnt see anyone mention it here, but we are ranked #21.

Twentysix
09-06-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/sched/cf_fared.aspx

Herd80
09-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I would have not hoped for anything above 20...we've won one game, a good win, but only one. Next week tells the tale of how good we are/may be.

BTW, performance in previous years means nothing for those who believe that wins against FBS opponents other than Kansas should filter into the minds of voters. I hope like hell we are in the top 10-15 at the end of the regular season.

56BISON73
09-06-2010, 06:30 PM

The thing is all of that is PAST history. You cant base current rankings on that. You know that. Geeez

NDSUFan_Sav
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
agree with herd and pl

56BISON73
09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I agree with those who believe we are better off being shunned by the polls a bit longer. We have not proven ourselves in FCS.

To those who believe we deserve a spot in the polls, we'd have stood a lot better chance if we had shown some offense on Sat. At one point in the game the Fox College Sportscasters said it could easily have been 21-3. If it had been, we'd be ranked.

I can wait another week. If we beat UNI, then we will deserve to be in the polls.

Well said!!!!!

El_Chapo
12-14-2022, 12:20 AM
well as SDBISON just told me. we ranked consecutively for how long???

wow this was on ESPN. and this thread was the last time NDSU was unranked.

176 straight weeks

BisonHorns
12-14-2022, 01:30 AM
That is a awesome tidbit!

Professor Chaos
12-14-2022, 01:52 AM
That is a awesome tidbit!
Probably even more wild is the fact that they haven't been ranked outside of the top 8 in the STATS/Sports Network poll since week 1 of 2011. That has to be in the 160s in terms of consecutive polls now as well. I don't know who the 2nd place team would be in terms of consecutive weeks in the top 8 (or top 10 for that matter) but I'd suspect that they aren't even in the same stratosphere.

HerdBot
12-14-2022, 02:47 AM
well as SDBISON just told me. we ranked consecutively for how long???

wow this was on ESPN. and this thread was the last time NDSU was unranked.

176 straight weeks

12 years in a row. 3 head coaches. Although we've won the national championship 9 out of 12 years, made the quarter finals 12 out of 12 years and made the semi finals 10 out of 12. And I still dont count the fake covid season