PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Hazelton

Esquire
09-05-2010, 03:21 PM
What a debut for our new Defensive Coordinator. It was awesome to see the agressiveness, fire and attitude that we have not seen for awhile. To hold a Big 12 team to 3 points was awesome...wow! I am not going to bash Mike Breske and wish him the best at Montana, but I am so glad to be back to a true Tampa 2 defense. Having Casey Bradley, Todd Wash, and Bob Babich running the same defense and on speed dial can only help Scottie as well. And clearly his two new assistants, Nick Goeser and Brian Ward, are a big part of Scottie's success. Thanks for bringing back the Bison swagger on defense.

1bizon1
09-05-2010, 03:32 PM
It was GREAT to see the Bizon tradition back on defense! But I think we all know that one game does not make a season and I know that is not what Esquire was intending when this thread was started. I do totally agree with his main point and that is, "HOW 'BOUT THAT BIZON DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!
Some UNI posters are concerned for this Saturdays game. Let's hope the Bizon do not let them down!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

IzzyFlexion
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
In the history of FCS vs FBS teams, I wonder if there was ever one of those games where the FBS failed to score a touchdown?

sambini
09-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Scotty had em cranked up++++++

lakesbison
09-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I swear I.saw PERLES on the bison sideline in 2nd half cheering the boys on and talking with hazelton and bohl. He works.at.KC with chiefs, there was 2 other CHIEFS coaches with him. Think we got a Lil coaching help????

ndsubison1
09-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Our secondary is still a little iffy but our DLine and backers looked really good.

walknroehl
09-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Our secondary is still a little iffy but our DLine and backers looked really good.

Yes but there was a couple of spectacular pass break ups. Good stuff to build on going forward.

sambini
09-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I swear I.saw PERLES on the bison sideline in 2nd half cheering the boys on and talking with hazelton and bohl. He works.at.KC with chiefs, there was 2 other CHIEFS coaches with him. Think we got a Lil coaching help????
Pat was there with his son. Talked to him and he was jacked for the Bison.

sambini
09-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Wash was watchn on TV from Tampa was very excited for NDSU AND SCOTT.+++

NDSUstudent
09-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes but there was a couple of spectacular pass break ups. Good stuff to build on going forward.

Yeah it was night and day from last year. They had a few mistakes but they were so much more aggressive and physical. It was like vintage 2006 or 2007 Bison with the hits that were being laid out, we had been lacking that kind of edge for far too long.

DjKyRo
09-05-2010, 07:08 PM
That won't look half bad on a coaching resume. Obviously our D-line was great but I think our secondary did pretty well - I don't think there was one play where we got beat over the top, and Marcus Williams made some really good plays as a true freshman. Matt Anderson was a beast out there, and what a pleasant surprise to see Chad Wilson all over the field. Great defensive performance all game long.

Ferd
09-06-2010, 12:57 AM
That won't look half bad on a coaching resume. Obviously our D-line was great but I think our secondary did pretty well - I don't think there was one play where we got beat over the top, and Marcus Williams made some really good plays as a true freshman. Matt Anderson was a beast out there, and what a pleasant surprise to see Chad Wilson all over the field. Great defensive performance all game long.

We'll all learn... Willson... with two lls

HandoEX
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Scott Hazelton is the man! THE MAN! I couldn't be happier that he is running the Bison defense.

GOB1SON
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
He has done a great job getting this thing on the right track.

I think we need to give a lot of credit to Brian Ward. The improvement in how the d-backs go through the reads and how they react and play the ball is nothing short of amazing. Last year our d-backs looked lost and could be exploited. This year, completely different.

Bison"FANatic"
12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Isn't it nice not watching team after team hit the wide receiver on the line of scrimmage as we played 10 yards off the ball. And them basically getting 7 yards a pop. The D looks like they know what they are doing now and flowing to the ball and not looking lost like they didn't quite know what they were suppose to be covering. It is back to the D we are used to seeing at NDSU and it is great!!!!!!

Here's to you Coach Hazelton and to your players and staff.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

CAS4127
12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Isn't it nice not watching team after team hit the wide receiver on the line of scrimmage as we played 10 yards off the ball. And them basically getting 7 yards a pop. The D looks like they know what they are doing now and flowing to the ball and not looking lost like they didn't quite know what they were suppose to be covering. It is back to the D we are used to seeing at NDSU and it is great!!!!!!

Here's to you Coach Hazelton and to your players and staff.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Plus he spoon-fed Vigen the play that ended up being huge--the Mohler 40+ yarder. Not sure if you guys saw how that play was set up, yes, I said it, set up, earlier in the game. The first time we ran it, it was a partial fake to Sigers coming in motion with a left-side dive to DJ--went no where. I told my buddies that Vigen had better be setting something up or that was the most pathetic play call I had ever seen, since we had never run it before, and what the hell are we doing running it now against a very good MSU team. The second time, it was a give to Sigers who went off right side for about 10-15, with a "going through the motions" fake to DJ since Sigers already had the ball. The third time, well, that was the Mohler run!! Finallly setting a play up for use later in the game--thank you Coach H. Otherwise, we also ran the read/speed option early on with Jensen that was producing yards, which was something we had not done this year to any great extent. Hey, it took them until the FCS 1/4's to do it, but at least it got done. Hope Brock is ready for EWU.

The only horrible call by Coach H was the double LB blitz inside MSU's own 20 that went for about a 63 yard longball that set up their first touchdown when we were already getting a good puch/pressure from our front 4. Didn't see that much the rest of the game.

bisonmike2
12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
All good points above but I would also add his message has been consistent all year. I remember an interview he did before the season and he stressed playing fast to the ball and taking good angles in pursuit. He's said that in every interview I've heard him in since. This defense hits hard and is doing a great job in pursuit. Most of the big plays against us have been broken coverages and not because we've missed a tackle or got outrun to the corner.

SDBisonbacker
12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I remember reading at the beginning of the year how he was a choice becasue nobody wanted the job becasue bohl would be gone after this year after last year performance. Boy were those people wrong. I have met coach Hazelton and have talked to him one on one about drills and philosophies at coaches clinics and during the summer when my kids have been at football camp. He his the man. He communicates well and has a great passion...so glad to see these defense do it's job this year. I believe if they would have had film on UNI that game would have been different. The whole defensive coaching staff has done an excellent job.

Notorious
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Plus he spoon-fed Vigen the play that ended up being huge--the Mohler 40+ yarder. Not sure if you guys saw how that play was set up, yes, I said it, set up, earlier in the game. The first time we ran it, it was a partial fake to Sigers coming in motion with a left-side dive to DJ--went no where. I told my buddies that Vigen had better be setting something up or that was the most pathetic play call I had ever seen, since we had never run it before, and what the hell are we doing running it now against a very good MSU team. The second time, it was a give to Sigers who went off right side for about 10-15, with a "going through the motions" fake to DJ since Sigers already had the ball. The third time, well, that was the Mohler run!! Finallly setting a play up for use later in the game--thank you Coach H. Otherwise, we also ran the read/speed option early on with Jensen that was producing yards, which was something we had not done this year to any great extent. Hey, it took them until the FCS 1/4's to do it, but at least it got done. Hope Brock is ready for EWU.

The only horrible call by Coach H was the double LB blitz inside MSU's own 20 that went for about a 63 yard longball that set up their first touchdown when we were already getting a good puch/pressure from our front 4. Didn't see that much the rest of the game.

Thought the same thing on the blitz...but, I do like the aggressive style. It did seem a little odd with how the front four were pressuring the pocket, AND keeping containment, but taking some risk once in awhile is good too...we just happened to get beat on that play...was also a very good throw.

EDIT: Getting beat on the play also "frazzled" M-Will a little and I think it had an effect on him on the touchdown pass, as well.

EndZoneQB
12-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Yep, I cried a little about that one as well. Not really sure what happened to Marcus tho, he looked much faster/quicker than the WR. It seemed like he blitzed a few other times and they had some of their bigger plays on it, but I could be mistaken.

bison dad
12-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Yeah it was night and day from last year. They had a few mistakes but they were so much more aggressive and physical. It was like vintage 2006 or 2007 Bison with the hits that were being laid out, we had been lacking that kind of edge for far too long.

This may have been covered elsewhere but the reference to the 06/07 teams. I was kinda shocked that we made the playoffs, any chance that this years bid was kinda of a recognition for going 20-2 those two years and not being eligible?

roadwarrior
12-07-2010, 04:18 AM
This may have been covered elsewhere but the reference to the 06/07 teams. I was kinda shocked that we made the playoffs, any chance that this years bid was kinda of a recognition for going 20-2 those two years and not being eligible?

I don't think so.

bison dad
12-07-2010, 05:20 AM
I don't think so.

Your probably right, however they determine who gets in this is a hell of alot better than the FBS bowl system!