PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Q

Twentysix
09-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Will this game produce any recruits from Missouri or Kansas? Maybe snag a kid or 2 from the WSU recruiting area? Even 1?

Mr. Burgundy
09-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Terrific point. We are already getting pretty deep into Nebraska, so this can't hurt!!! I bet Bohl and the boys are making alot of recruiting calls this week! Such a great reward. I hope for some awesome verbals very soon!

walknroehl
09-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I think its definitely good just for name recognition even nationally:

“It’s bigger,” the happy QB said of Saturday’s victory, while admitting the win over the Gophers was impressive as well. “It was highly publicized. It’s probably one of the reasons I came to the school.”-Jose Mohler

Obviously the local kid hoping to be recruited by KU isn't going to care much but it is huge with the preferred walk-on guys I'd say.

Twentysix
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I think its definitely good just for name recognition even nationally:

“It’s bigger,” the happy QB said of Saturday’s victory, while admitting the win over the Gophers was impressive as well. “It was highly publicized. It’s probably one of the reasons I came to the school.”-Jose Mohler

Obviously the local kid hoping to be recruited by KU isn't going to care much but it is huge with the preferred walk-on guys I'd say.

Right, im not saying this is gonna make us win recruiting battles with FBS teams. But we could get a kid being recruited by Mo St. to maybe consider us or the old WSU football recruiting area, maybe even a few kids that are good enough for FCS but play D2 ball because of the lack of FCS options in the area(pick your scenario).

Seems like as of recently our recruiting jumps from Nebraska to Texas. Lets fill in the gap alittle bit. Recruiting more states could potentially make us a much better team in the long run.

EndZoneQB
09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Right, im not saying this is gonna make us win recruiting battles with FBS teams. But we could get a kid being recruited by Mo St. to maybe consider us or the old WSU football recruiting area, maybe even a few kids that are good enough for FCS but play D2 ball because of the lack of FCS options in the area(pick your scenario).

Seems like as of recently our recruiting jumps from Nebraska to Texas. Lets fill in the gap alittle bit. Recruiting more states could potentially make us a much better team in the long run.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. That also spreads us very thin in our current recruiting hot beds. We need to make sure we develop our current relationships before we start branching out. We've seen this in previous years when we started hitting other areas that produced not much return. It surely will help in our current recruiting territory right now, though.

Kermit
09-06-2010, 10:49 PM

I think the biggest impact of this win will be with kids the Bison are already recruiting.

Twentysix
09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I think the biggest impact of this win will be with kids the Bison are already recruiting.

And that is great and exactly what we need.

Im just looking at a bigger picture, I am not saying drop current ties by any means. But if its possible to work in another geographical area without losing what we are already doing why not atleast try?

Herd
09-07-2010, 12:01 AM
A fairly untapped area by NDSU has been KC/St.Louis. That win can't hurt.

HerdBot
09-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Will this game produce any recruits from Missouri or Kansas? Maybe snag a kid or 2 from the WSU recruiting area? Even 1?

Personally i think we lost our focus and spent too much time recruiting other parts of the country. We will always be a school that is primarily made of athletes from ND, SD, MN, and WI. I'd like to see us spread out a little further and tap into Iowa, Illinois, and maybe Nebraska but do we really need to go out further? Instead of going to CA to get a kid who will experience major culture shock why not try and get better players in our area. Maybe we can snag more 3 or 4 star recruits in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Maybe go head to head for SIUs top players. I think our biggest opportunity is with Jucos and transfers. However we still need to go south for skilled players.

Mr. Burgundy
09-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Personally i think we lost our focus and spent too much time recruiting other parts of the country. We will always be a school that is primarily made of athletes from ND, SD, MN, and WI. I'd like to see us spread out a little further and tap into Iowa, Illinois, and maybe Nebraska but do we really need to go out further? Instead of going to CA to get a kid who will experience major culture shock why not try and get better players in our area. Maybe we can snag more 3 or 4 star recruits in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Maybe go head to head for SIUs top players. I think our biggest opportunity is with Jucos and transfers. However we still need to go south for skilled players.

Not sure I understand. Our last class was damn near strictly from the midwest and thought to be maybe the best ever. There are barely any 3 and 4 star kids in MN and WI, and they are highly recruited. You want to go head to head against against SIU yet recruit from the Midwest? You don't want kids from CA due to culture shock and then say you want us to go after Jucos and transfers who we have had very limited success (Willson rocked on Saturday). If there is one thing I think Bohl has figured out, it is recruiting. Coach Polasek has driven this machine for a couple years and nobody has that passion. I promise you he is burning the phone lines since the Kansas win. Lets keep dominating the area FCS schools for the Midwest talent. The proof is starting to show.

BisonNolesFan77
09-07-2010, 01:34 AM
A fairly untapped area by NDSU has been KC/St.Louis. That win can't hurt.

But, very tapped by other programs...that area is recruited very heavy by other programs. Keep the hold on ND recruits, Wisconsin is a very good state talent wise and only has one big time program, everything else is D3, get the kids from MN that Timmy doesn't think are big enough or fast enough, grab a few kids from Nebraska, and fill in the classes with a few kids from Florida, Texas, California...

lakesbison
09-07-2010, 01:38 AM
i put this somewhere else:

while we were all celebrating. 10-12 KU recruits and parents walked by and we were all yelling "COME TO NDSU!!" "BE A STAR!"

and we got some waves, and smiles... dam thats sweet.

bohl, get on the phone with those guys!

HerdBot
09-07-2010, 01:58 AM
W
Not sure I understand. Our last class was damn near strictly from the midwest and thought to be maybe the best ever. There are barely any 3 and 4 star kids in MN and WI, and they are highly recruited. You want to go head to head against against SIU yet recruit from the Midwest? You don't want kids from CA due to culture shock and then say you want us to go after Jucos and transfers who we have had very limited success (Willson rocked on Saturday). If there is one thing I think qBohl has figured out, it is recruiting. Coach Polasek has driven this machine for a couple years and nobody has that passion. I qpromise you he is burning the phone lines since the Kansas win. Lets keep dominating the area FCS schools for the Midwest talent. The proof is starting to show.

Sdsu gets most of their players from the midwest and they sure wcan compete. Minnesota duluth won a national chamionship and 99% of the players were from minnesota and superior Wi. Heck the University of sioux falls beat UND and built a dynasty with ONLY players from SD. Northern Iowa pretty much recruits the same area. SIU gets most of their players from the midwest mainly Illinois, Missouri, and WI. Point is we need to continue to get the top players from our area, redshirt them, develop, and keep them for 4 full years. On occassion go outside of the area to get a Pat Paschall or DJ but don't forget the local guy named Roehl may beat out both of them.

Believe me we have missed out on a lot of players up here.

EDIT JUCOs are huge but It'd take a 4 year player like Leevon Perry over a JUCO any day of the week. JUCOs should only be used to add depth. That willson dude looks great.

But were not going to find QBs out of ND but look at our most successful players. Mays, Dahl, Schoemer, Humber , Heckendorf were all 4 year players from midwest. Roehl, Wurzbacher, and Jangula. All from ND and 4 year guys.

Twentysix
09-07-2010, 03:26 AM
W

Sdsu gets most of their players from the midwest and they sure wcan compete. Minnesota duluth won a national chamionship and 99% of the players were from minnesota and superior Wi. Heck the University of sioux falls beat UND and built a dynasty with ONLY players from SD. Northern Iowa pretty much recruits the same area. SIU gets most of their players from the midwest mainly Illinois, Missouri, and WI. Point is we need to continue to get the top players from our area, redshirt them, develop, and keep them for 4 full years. On occassion go outside of the area to get a Pat Paschall or DJ but don't forget the local guy named Roehl may beat out both of them.

Believe me we have missed out on a lot of players up here.

EDIT JUCOs are huge but It'd take a 4 year player like Leevon Perry over a JUCO any day of the week. JUCOs should only be used to add depth. That willson dude looks great.

But were not going to find QBs out of ND but look at our most successful players. Mays, Dahl, Schoemer, Humber , Heckendorf were all 4 year players from midwest. Roehl, Wurzbacher, and Jangula. All from ND and 4 year guys.

Let me get this straight your calling chicago the midwest but not KC? Your saying KC is heavily recruited but Chicago is not?

I see that everyone is defending there own point of view but that seems to be an assanine statement.

Pat Paschall was from missouri.

HerdBot
09-07-2010, 04:08 AM
Let me get this straight your calling chicago the midwest but not KC? Your saying KC is heavily recruited but Chicago is not?

I see that everyone is defending there own point of view but that seems to be an assanine statement.

Pat Paschall was from missouri.

You must have misread my post. I didnt make myself clear let me try again. I said NDSU, SDSU, and UNI recruit the same areas. So do MN Duluth and Sioux Falls and are the best at their level because there is a lot of talent.

SIU recruits primarily Illinois and Missouri. That is in their back yard. Its a long way from Fargo but since we play 3 teams in our conference out of Illinois it makes sense to recruit them. We only make it to Missouri once every 2 years. Its harder to get a pipe line.

I never said we shouldn't recruit Missouri. I said we should stick to our main areas and get better players and expand more into Illinois and maybe Nebraska. California is not necessary.

Paschal was from Missouri but he couldn't beat out Roehl from Fargo. Roehl had more opportunity in the NFL. But Paschall was a unique 3 year Juco.

How many of these players from far away stick? Think about Michigan. I think we got 3 guys from Michigan and none are on the team. I could be wrong but it seems like more MN, Sd, and ND guys last 4 years since they are close to home and are used to the cold. Retention is huge.

Twentysix
09-07-2010, 04:21 AM
I am by no means advocating not recruiting are area, but others had previously posted here that going after a kid here or there from in that area could crush our recruiting program. There are tons of kids from ND SD MN that dont work out too. Some of them cant cut it, some steal from best buy, some end up sucking in college, some sell drugs. There are turds in every area lol.

Maybe we will end up with a high calibur player from Mo or KS that is a diamond in the rough. You never know. There are good kids in ND and MN etc. But there are also tons of good kids all over the country. Just cause 90%of the team is from Minnkotascons doesnt mean there arent impact players from other area's. We dont ever go to Texas but we still recruit there. Maybe make a layover stop in KC on the way to dallas or wherever we go in Texas to recruit. (2006 was our last trip to Texas before SHSU.) Im also not advocating a pipeline. Im saying a kid or two every few years.

Both Roehl and Paschall were great, and neither played a down in the NFL. I dont know if i would say one was monumentally better than the other. Could you imagine if Paschall has a passing game to work off? Maybe he would of been even better, maybe not.

HerdBot
09-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I am by no means advocating not recruiting are area, but others had previously posted here that going after a kid here or there from in that area could crush our recruiting program. There are tons of kids from ND SD MN that dont work out too. Some of them cant cut it, some steal from best buy, some end up sucking in college, some sell drugs. There are turds in every area lol.

Maybe we will end up with a high calibur player from Mo or KS that is a diamond in the rough. You never know. There are good kids in ND and MN etc. But there are also tons of good kids all over the country. Just cause 90%of the team is from Minnkotascons doesnt mean there arent impact players from other area's. We dont ever go to Texas but we still recruit there. Maybe make a layover stop in KC on the way to dallas or wherever we go in Texas to recruit. (2006 was our last trip to Texas before SHSU.) Im also not advocating a pipeline. Im saying a kid or two every few years.

Both Roehl and Paschall were great, and neither played a down in the NFL. I dont know if i would say one was monumentally better than the other. Could you imagine if Paschall has a passing game to work off? Maybe he would of been even better, maybe not.

I took all the recruits from 2006-2008 to see how many stuck with the program or left. Clearly from those years we didn't have as much success recruiting Wisconsin. Not sure what the deal is because it's usually a gold mine. South Dakota and Illinois have produced more players.

Retention rate
Illinois - 3/4 - 75%
South Dakota - 2/3 - 66% (only person who left due to injury)
North Dakota - 5/8 - 63%
Minnesota - 7/13 - 54%
Texas - 3/7 - 43%
Wisconsin - 2/9 - 22%
Michigan - 0/3 - 0%
California - 1/1 - 100%
Missouri - 1/1 - 100%
Juco - 3/3 - 100%

2006-2008
TOTAL 52
RETAINED 27
52%

2004-2005
Just by a quick glance about 70% stuck with the team for 4 years. It seemed to be a good formula.

***STILL ON TEAM OR COMPLETED FULL TERM***

NORTH DAKOTA
Landon Smith, TE (North Dakota)
Lee Vandal, FB (North Dakota)
Matt Anderson, LB (North Dakota)
Michael Arndt, OL (North Dakota)
Austin Richard, OL (North Dakota)

MINNESOTA
Shawn Bibeau, K (Minnesota)
Matt Veldman, TE (Minnesota)
Matt Voigtlander, RB (Minnesota)
Matt Gratzek, DT (Minnesota)
Cyrus Lemon, FS (Minnesota)
Paul Cornick, OL (Minnesota)
Joe Lund, OL (Minnesota)

WISCONSIN
Matt Phillips, DT (Wisconsin)
Ricky Hagen, DE (Wisconsin)

ILLINOIS
Derrius Colvin, CB (Illinois)
Scott Stoczynski, DE (Illinois)
Daniel Eaves, FS (Illinois)

SOUTH DAKOTA
Coulter Boyer, DE (South Dakota)
Preston Evans, LB (South Dakota)

TEXAS
Gary Williams, WR (Texas)
Warren Holloway, WR (Texas)
D.J. McNorton, RB (Texas)

MISSOURI
Pat Paschall, RB (Missouri)

CALIFORNIA
Jose Mohler, QB (California)

JUCO
Mike Brown, DT (NDSCS - completed full)
Christon Dallas, DE (NDSCS - completed)
Yuen Taufetee, DT (Samoa)

**LEFT TEAM**

CALIFORNIA
Pete Blincoe, RB (quit football, transferred to Colorado)

MICHIGAN
Bobby Miller, CB (Michigan, no show)
Kevin Jackson, DB (Michigan, quit football)
Carlin Landingham, OL (Michigan, left team)

TEXAS
Jordan Osborne, S (Texas, left team)
Melvin Thomas III, SS (Texas, Left Team)
Josh Hazley-Freeman, LB (Texas, left team)
Kevin Weeden, DB (Texas, left team)

SOUTH DAKOTA
Chris Wellenstein, OL (South Dakota, injured)

NORTH DAKOTA
Austin Vetter, TE (North Dakota, left team)
Josh Horner, RB (North Dakota, quit football)
Luke Senger, LB (North Dakota, Left team)

MINNESOTA
Danny Offerman, DT (Minnesota, Best Buy ring)
Jason Obarski, K (Minnesota, left team)
Isaac Kolstad, SS (Minnesota, left team)
Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane, WR (Minnesota, kicked off team)
Garrett Johnson, DE (Minnesota, Best Buy theft and DUI)
Jimmy Sharpe, TE (Minnesota, transferred)

WISCONSIN
Greg Reid, ILB (Wisconsin, Best Buy)
J.J. Manowske, OL (Wisconsin, left team)
Seth Krueger, WR (Wisconsin left team)
Dillon Forbes, LB (Wisconsin, grades and kicked off team twice)
Eddie Beson, LB (Wisconsin, injured)
John Knepel, DE (Wisconsin, Left Team)
Chris Bigley, DB (Wisconsin)

ILLINOIS
George Danilkowicz, DT (Illinois, left team)

tony
09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I think most of NDSU's offers for this year are out now but maybe this win will help seal the deal on some of the guys. I mean, weren't Roehl and Wurzbacher two of Bohl's first recruits in th 2004 class? They signed after NDSU's second game of the season (at Montana) and I remember being surprised at how early they committed. Last year was very unusual for NDSU because of early signings.

Of course, the momentum only last as long as the current win streak... The team has to forget about Kansas and concentrate on improving enough to beat UNI.