PDA

View Full Version : Good win, but let's save judging our offense till next week

bisonfan11
09-05-2010, 02:21 AM
First off what a great win for the Bison. Defeating a Big 12 FBS team is no small feat so we should be real proud of that. It's good to see the defense step up and win the game for the Bison. I know that the offense looked kinda poor, especially in the passing game. But logically let's save judging Jose Mohler and the rest of the Bison offense until next week when the Bison play UNI. From what I read Kansas returned quite a few starters on defense so I figured for this game the offense was going to stink. To be honest I think that Mohler was the right choice to start this game over Brock Jensen because Jensen has no real game experience and more that likely would have been exposed for his lack of experience. The biggest thing I take away from this is while it is only one game into the regular season the '10 Bison did something that the '09 Bison could not do, win a close game and shut down the other team's offense. Let's hope this is a good start of things to come!:nod:

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2010, 02:24 AM
I'll concede.

It would be nice to see more than 1 pass play to each side of the field though, that's for sure.

TbonZach
09-05-2010, 02:28 AM
I know that the offense looked kinda poor, especially in the passing game. But logically let's save judging Jose Mohler and the rest of the Bison offense until next week when the Bison play UNI.

With the exception of the INT, I thought Mohler looked pretty good over all.

But I do agree that we should save the judging. A close win (by the skin of their teeth) does not a successful season make.

bison93
09-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Agree.. great win but offense is gonna need to work on the pass. Kansas was stackin' the box in the 4th quarter. I would like to see more TE work down the middle. Let's enjoy the win and then get ready for the NI pussycats:nod:

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2010, 02:29 AM
I thought Mohler played pretty descent too actually. He can sure move in the pocket, that's for sure. I would love to see what he could do in a spread based option of sorts.

bisonfan11
09-05-2010, 02:30 AM
While I am not going to defend coach Bohl (or the offensive coordinator) I am wondering if NDSU just wanted to stay conservative to limit turnovers. Kansas' defense does have a lot of experience so I wonder if NDSU just wanted to play it safe to limit Kansas opportunities to score. From what I have heard this might be a transition year for UNI, so NDSU should draw up a real aggressive plan to try to knock out UNI as early as possible next week.

NDSUstudent
09-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Hey, Mohler controlled the game and didn't make a mistake when it mattered. Hard to ask for much more considering the situation.

North Side
09-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Mohler was like Trent Dilfer with the Raven just a game manager qb but GREAT WIN GO BISON!!

Wally
09-05-2010, 02:34 AM
I'M GIVING MYSELF 24 HOURS, JUST LIKE THE TEAM AND WILL WORRY ABOUT ALL ELSE LATER:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

02Bison
09-05-2010, 02:35 AM
They need to eliminate the late hit penalties....they always seem to be a problem and the Bison were lucky they didn't come back to bite them in the butt tonight. That said, great game and it was nice to start off the season with a win!

bisonfan11
09-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Mohler played 100% better than Mertens ever did. I still remember how upset I was because NDSU had so many opportunities to either have the game closer or to win against Iowa State, but it seemed like every time we got into scoring position in the 2nd half of that game Mertens turned the ball over. Mohler played within himself...

THEsocalledfan
09-05-2010, 02:54 AM
For those that are criticizing the lack of passing, remember, the NDSU defense was not giving up much of anything. I was very impressed that Bohl/Vigen decided to just put the game on the defense and ride them to victory. That was an excellent call with an offense just learning how to play together. Mohler was quite competent and I was happy with his play even with the pick. That was a poor decision, but I am hoping he learned from it.

A1pigskin
09-05-2010, 02:57 AM
This win brings respect back to the team.

NDSUstudent
09-05-2010, 02:59 AM
For those that are criticizing the lack of passing, remember, the NDSU defense was not giving up much of anything. I was very impressed that Bohl/Vigen decided to just put the game on the defense and ride them to victory. That was an excellent call with an offense just learning how to play together. Mohler was quite competent and I was happy with his play even with the pick. That was a poor decision, but I am hoping he learned from it.

I remember the WYO game when we pissed the second half down our leg with careless mistakes. This time we just trusted the defense and controlled the clock. Hard to criticize the coach when it brought home the W.

THEsocalledfan
09-05-2010, 03:00 AM
I remember the WYO game when we pissed the second half down our leg with careless mistakes. This time we just trusted the defense and controlled the clock. Hard to criticize the coach when it brought home the W.

Some have tried.....I will never get that attitude.

TbonZach
09-05-2010, 03:03 AM

Some have tried.....I will never get that attitude.

I'll be honest - I was (still kinda am) upset that we didn't pass very much. However, it won the game and I can't fault them for it too much.

A1pigskin
09-05-2010, 03:03 AM
It sure feels good to start the season with a win, especially against an FBS.

MN_BISON
09-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Great win by the Bison. I'd like to welcome back the Defense to NDSU, we missed ya and are damn happy you're back. Great job by the coaches and players, proud to be a Bison tonight! :nod:

NDSU1980
09-05-2010, 03:06 AM
I'll be honest - I was (still kinda am) upset that we didn't pass very much. However, it won the game and I can't fault them for it too much.

I think some of the "no passing" came as a result of us trying to control the clock. Coach was smart enough to realize that 6-3 might be all the offense needed to win.

I did check my calender to make sure it's not the year 1971. Score makes me think of the old NFL field goal kicking contests they had in those days. Remember a lot of 6-3 games.

Ferd
09-05-2010, 03:07 AM

I think it was Vince Lombardi that said: " Only three things can happen when you pass the ball... and two of them are bad." ;)

A1pigskin
09-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Our Defense stepped up and played with confidence.

fargocyclone
09-05-2010, 03:16 AM
How 'bout that Bison defense!!!

KTF
09-05-2010, 03:23 AM
How 'Bout that Bison Special Teams!!

99Bison
09-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Defense was great, special teams was average IMO, still to many big yardage plays. Offense poor, but very conservative as game wore one understandably why though. A couple earlier thing in 3rd quarter would have been nice to try more on offense.

Amazing change in defensive attitude, assignments, etc. Heck the guys were moving around in the first quarter pre snap more than they did the entire year last year.

ndsubison1
09-05-2010, 03:56 AM
I'll concede.

It would be nice to see more than 1 pass play to each side of the field though, that's for sure.

i think our coaches were being pretty conservative, not trying to make mohler do too much esp. when we had the lead. our D was playing very well and I dont think they wanted to do too much to give the game to kansas. some mistakes on our part on both sides of the ball, I think the O will get better as the season progresses

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-05-2010, 04:00 AM
First off what a great win for the Bison. Defeating a Big 12 FBS team is no small feat so we should be real proud of that. It's good to see the defense step up and win the game for the Bison. I know that the offense looked kinda poor, especially in the passing game. But logically let's save judging Jose Mohler and the rest of the Bison offense until next week when the Bison play UNI. From what I read Kansas returned quite a few starters on defense so I figured for this game the offense was going to stink. To be honest I think that Mohler was the right choice to start this game over Brock Jensen because Jensen has no real game experience and more that likely would have been exposed for his lack of experience. The biggest thing I take away from this is while it is only one game into the regular season the '10 Bison did something that the '09 Bison could not do, win a close game and shut down the other team's offense. Let's hope this is a good start of things to come!:nod:

Agreed. Kansas is terrible. We will have to play a lot better to be in the playoff hunt come November.

stevdock
09-05-2010, 04:19 AM

You are exactly correct. The coaches called a great game just by deciding to take the air out of the ball, eliminate turnovers and let the defense win the game. I thought Mohler played alright. Had a couple of great throws, had a couple of poor throws but only one costly.

Do remember that if the Bison wouldn't have had 2 receivers in the same spot at the end zone, Veldman probably comes down with the TD pass. He was wide open, as he beat his guy and my guess is the defensive guys that broke it up were only there because of the other Bison receiver being there also.

Also without some of those false starts by the O-Line, I think a couple of more drives got stalled out. OVerall I thought the O-Line controlled the line of scrimmage though and did a good job tonight.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-05-2010, 04:26 AM
You are exactly correct. The coaches called a great game just by deciding to take the air out of the ball, eliminate turnovers and let the defense win the game. I thought Mohler played alright. Had a couple of great throws, had a couple of poor throws but only one costly.

Do remember that if the Bison wouldn't have had 2 receivers in the same spot at the end zone, Veldman probably comes down with the TD pass. He was wide open, as he beat his guy and my guess is the defensive guys that broke it up were only there because of the other Bison receiver being there also.

Also without some of those false starts by the O-Line, I think a couple of more drives got stalled out. OVerall I thought the O-Line controlled the line of scrimmage though and did a good job tonight.

Don't forget the stupid "personal foul" penalities that killed us.

Scooter1
09-05-2010, 04:37 AM
This thread title will be Dan Hammers opening line on Monday...

Hammer: "Good win but lets save judging the offense until next week."

Bohl: "Well, we played pretty hard and came out with a win against a good team."

Hammer: "Kansas has some work to do...I never knew that Idaho was that much better than Kansas."

Bohl: "Well, gotta go prepare for next week"

Hammer: "That was NDSU coach Caig Bohl. Now back to how UND should have won at Idaho if not for all the turnovers...."

ndsubison1
09-05-2010, 04:38 AM
This will be Dan Hammers opening line...

Bohl: "Well, we played pretty hard and came out with a win against a good team."

Hammer: "Kansas has some work to do...I never knew that Idaho was that much better than Kansas."

Hammer: "That was NDSU coach Caig Bohl. Now back to how UND played stait up with Idaho."

:rofl: :rofl:

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2010, 04:51 AM
i think our coaches were being pretty conservative, not trying to make mohler do too much esp. when we had the lead. our D was playing very well and I dont think they wanted to do too much to give the game to kansas. some mistakes on our part on both sides of the ball, I think the O will get better as the season progresses

Yea I know it's hard though. I swear we ran 2 pass plays all game, roll out right and roll out left. I know they were being conservative, but I really do not like our offensive scheme one bit. It's like a power running game with the option based pass play to either side of the field and nothing else.

The fact that they were being conservative tells me they know we won't have an explosive offense, and they just don't want to put the defense in a bad position. I respect the defensive focus and think the defensive is awesome, but c'mon....figure out the offense already.

I like McNorton. I think that Tyus Mack or whatever looked very good. I thought some of the other WR's played well. I thought this Veldman guy was supposed to be good. Let Mohler drop back, and make plays. If we can't get a QB to do that, we're not going to win anything of importance. I've been critical of Mohler, but I'm beginning to wonder why he isn't even given an oppurtunity to make plays. And I can't say he wasn'[t given that oppurunity last year because I missed some of the last games of the year.

I'll shutup now, and wait a few weeks to see what happens, but based on the last few years, and this game, our passing offense is less potent than a high school team.

NDSU1980
09-05-2010, 04:53 AM

Hammer: "That was NDSU coach Caig Bohl. Now back to how UND should have won at Idaho if not for all the turnovers...."

I don't know what the heck Ming thought was funny about what you wrote. It' sadly true, you know that asshat Hammer is going to spin it just that way.:ranting:

56BISON73
09-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Yea I know it's hard though. I swear we ran 2 pass plays all game, roll out right and roll out left. I know they were being conservative, but I really do not like our offensive scheme one bit. It's like a power running game with the option based pass play to either side of the field and nothing else.

The fact that they were being conservative tells me they know we won't have an explosive offense, and they just don't want to put the defense in a bad position. I respect the defensive focus and think the defensive is awesome, but c'mon....figure out the offense already.

I like McNorton. I think that Tyus Mack or whatever looked very good. I thought some of the other WR's played well. I thought this Veldman guy was supposed to be good. Let Mohler drop back, and make plays. If we can't get a QB to do that, we're not going to win anything of importance. I've been critical of Mohler, but I'm beginning to wonder why he isn't even given an oppurtunity to make plays. And I can't say he wasn'[t given that oppurunity last year because I missed some of the last games of the year.

I'll shutup now, and wait a few weeks to see what happens, but based on the last few years, and this game, our passing offense is less potent than a high school team.

I think the strategy was more about ball control and minimizing mistakes for the first game. As the season progress I think you will see the offense open up as the O finds itself.

Bison bison
09-05-2010, 01:46 PM

I agree. We'll know even more...

Tatanka
09-07-2010, 02:35 AM

How the hell did you get the advance transcript?