PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to the MAC daddy??

lakesbison
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100827/NEWS0102/8280313/0/SPT/Report-calls-for-broad-changes-at-MU

We are already at top of their attendence lists, we recruit that area and against those teams, travel would be easier to chicago/detroit, etc.

We already own 2 of them! CMU and BALL ST!

basketball and other sports would work well also.

tjbison
08-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Illinois St, YSU, Southern Ill, Eastern Ill all stand a better shot than us IMO

Herd
08-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Finally, an FBS conference idea that doesn't suck.

Bison bison
08-31-2010, 12:30 AM
this would be a great idea - if NDSU was in Ohio.

ndsubison1
08-31-2010, 01:39 AM
can we let it go already

North Side
08-31-2010, 01:49 AM
can we let it go already
thank you (10 char)

TbonZach
08-31-2010, 01:52 AM
can we let it go already

In concur. Once NDSU starts doing well in FCS and wins a championship or five then we can start talking about FBS.

lakesbison
08-31-2010, 02:12 AM
wtf our PROGRAM is the top of the FCS. we dominated FCS for 2 years, we had bad luck in 2008, and 2009 anything that could of gone wrong, did.

quit with the WHOESME BS!!

NDSU and FARGO need to be FBS, this town needs to become a player, not just a quiet lil community, 200,000+ population and 20,000 enrollment and a kick ass town is what we need!!

rutlandbison
08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
wtf our PROGRAM is the top of the FCS. we dominated FCS for 2 years, we had bad luck in 2008, and 2009 anything that could of gone wrong, did.

quit with the WHOESME BS!!

NDSU and FARGO need to be FBS, this town needs to become a player, not just a quiet lil community, 200,000+ population and 20,000 enrollment and a kick ass town is what we need!!
About 6000 off on that one. We are not the top of the FCS right now. Far from it.

NDSUstudent
08-31-2010, 02:22 AM
NDSU will never be in the MAC. Geography is completely against us, people can dream about the FBS if they want but I wouldn't look at the MAC.

lakesbison
08-31-2010, 02:22 AM
i said WE NEED TO BE at 200,000 and 20,000 pay attention!

NDSUguy
08-31-2010, 02:23 AM
Not that i'm totally sold on going FBS but...

Those who say that we need to win first at FCS are not on the right track. It really has nothing to do with winning championships or being successful at our current level. It's about $$$ and exposure.

Those teams that we have beat from the MAC were not the bottom of the barrel teams. They were solid teams that were at least middle of the pack. I don't always agree with Lakes but I think that Fargo does need something to peak the interest of its fanbase.

I don't think that the MVFC does that. Outside of playing UNI and SDSU, there are really no interesting opponents in the MVFC. A move up to FBS (regardless of conference) would make it much more interesting.

lakesbison
08-31-2010, 02:25 AM
NDSUguy.

Amen. NDSU and FARGO needs to step up, especially with the sdsu, usd, und losers moving up to D1.

if NDSU wants its own freakin entity outside of those other 3 miserable universities, its time to STEP UP!!!

NDSU would be U of Minnesota 2 . thats what needs to happen, sorry.

56BISON73
08-31-2010, 02:52 AM
NDSUguy.

Amen. NDSU and FARGO needs to step up, especially with the sdsu, usd, und losers moving up to D1.

if NDSU wants its own freakin entity outside of those other 3 miserable universities, its time to STEP UP!!!

Then they really wont have their own Idenity.
Just sayin

fargocyclone
08-31-2010, 02:53 AM

Except that sounds like being the younger brother.... and on top of that you're older brother constantly misses the winning field goal and gets his books dumped in the hallways.

lakesbison
08-31-2010, 03:33 AM
well. theres' 5 million people in Minnesota and 3.8 million of them are sick of the U of Minnesota.

NDSU being at FBS could bring new fans into the fold.

Twentysix
08-31-2010, 03:51 AM
well. theres' 2 million people in Minnesota and 1.5 million of them are sick of the U of Minnesota.

Huh? I thought there was over 5 million people in minnesota.

BlueBisonRock
08-31-2010, 04:36 AM
Huh? I thought there was over 5 million people in minnesota.

5.2 Million per the US Census (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27000.html)

Herd
08-31-2010, 04:47 AM
The MAC geography is a hell of a lot better than the WAC. Hello?? It is at least similar in geography to the MVC.

ndsubison1
08-31-2010, 05:09 AM
via hando, is there an ignore feature for all of the fbs talk?

tjbison
08-31-2010, 11:57 AM
MAC commish is coming to town!!

at least thats what I heard

:D

NDSUstudent
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM
The MAC geography is a hell of a lot better than the WAC. Hello?? It is at least similar in geography to the MVC.

You could almost call the MAC a rust belt bus league. We are not in the rust belt or even close to it really. Like NDB said if NDSU was in Ohio this would be a good idea.

The MVC is a much better fit geographically for NDSU, but we'd still be an outlier in that league. But we are at least close enough to the core of the conference that it could work.

Notorious
08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Let's do it. My $20MM endowment is waiting for a home!

bisonmike2
08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
well. theres' 5 million people in Minnesota and 3.8 million of them are sick of the U of Minnesota.

citation needed. I'm wondering how you pulled the "3.8 million people are sick of the U of M" out of your arse. I'm a Minnesota resident, did they send out a questionnaire in the census? I didn't see anything like that but maybe I missed.

bisonmike2
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
MAC commish is coming to town!!

at least thats what I heard

:D

He's been here for a while. He even has an office here.

http://www.macshardware.com/images/FargoStoreFront.jpg

OrygunBison
08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Ugh, if you think that the MAC is a step up, you are seriously mistaken. Absolutely nobody cares about those schools. This would do nothing for NDSU.

Lakes, the MAC is absolutely horrible, you know that, right???

OrygunBison
08-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Screw it. I'm just going to start counting every time the MAC or WAC come up...

#27.

Carry on.

lakesbison
08-31-2010, 06:33 PM
I dont care, FBS puts us on ESPN every couple weeks. and legitimizes NDSU as #2 school in the region (by the way, NDSU based on Minnesota wins, Big Dance are head and shoulders above the other 3 dakota schools when it comes to name recognition, exposure, in the twin cities and around the country)

56BISON73
08-31-2010, 06:33 PM
One very important fact seems to be over looked. WHY would the MAC want NDSU??? Some just assume that we can just join any conference that we like when in fact NDSU needs to bring alot to the table to even be considered.

ndsubison1
08-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Why not strive to join the Missouri Valley? MVC BBall > Mac and arguably the WAC

OrygunBison
08-31-2010, 06:59 PM
I dont care, FBS puts us on ESPN every couple weeks. and legitimizes NDSU as #2 school in the region (by the way, NDSU based on Minnesota wins, Big Dance are head and shoulders above the other 3 dakota schools when it comes to name recognition, exposure, in the twin cities and around the country)

#31 . .

NDSUguy
08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
i do agree that the MVC would be better... Name recognition with basketball will be our ticket. Unlike the D2 days, basketball will be king for NDSU.

Bison bison
08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Sounds like Montana is in discussions with the MAC:

www.nky.cincinnati.com/enoughwiththebsalready

lakesbison
08-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Montana and NDSU travel partners to the MAC. perfect!

2 teams will be dumped out of the current MAC.

OrygunBison
08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Montana and NDSU travel partners to the MAC. perfect!

2 teams will be dumped out of the current MAC.

#35 . . .

BisoninNWMN
08-31-2010, 11:53 PM
One very important fact seems to be over looked. WHY would the MAC want NDSU??? Some just assume that we can just join any conference that we like when in fact NDSU needs to bring alot to the table to even be considered.

I agree with lakes on this one.

MAC would be a conference that NDSU would "fit" into. Geography is not as bad as some on here make it out to be. Fargo is west of everyone but look at some of the FBS conferences and some of the travel they do......ex ( Washington to Arizona, Florida to Arkansas ).

Yes, travel would be more expensive but it is a conference that NDSU could definitely compete in. Academically, I guessing, that we would be of a similar profile as many of the schools in the MAC.

IMO, an FBS move would really energize the school and the whole region.

GO FOR IT!!!!

GO BISON

56BISON73
09-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I agree with lakes on this one.

MAC would be a conference that NDSU would "fit" into. Geography is not as bad as some on here make it out to be. Fargo is west of everyone but look at some of the FBS conferences and some of the travel they do......ex ( Washington to Arizona, Florida to Arkansas ).

Yes, travel would be more expensive but it is a conference that NDSU could definitely compete in. Academically, I guessing, that we would be of a similar profile as many of the schools in the MAC.

IMO, an FBS move would really energize the school and the whole region.

GO FOR IT!!!!

GO BISON

You can agree all you want but its the MAC that makes those decisions. Not to mention NDSU. The geography is terrible. You use FBS schools as an example. We dont have the budget of AR, FL or AL. My god---Take off the FBS glasses. You are being blinded by the thought of a conference that some think will give NDSU prestege . But you are just being baffled with bullshit.:D

BisoninNWMN
09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
You can agree all you want but its the MAC that makes those decisions. Not to mention NDSU. The geography is terrible. You use FBS schools as an example. We dont have the budget of AR, FL or AL. My god---Take off the FBS glasses. You are being blinded by the thought of a conference that some think will give NDSU prestege . But you are just being baffled with bullshit.:D

If NDSU could bring in more $$ for scholarships....why not?

Yes, the geography is not perfect but it is a conference that could be a possibility.

Expect a lot......get a lot!

Are MAC athletic budgets that much more than NDSU's??

I have been on Ball State's campus.....comparable to NDSU's.

We would definitely be the small fish in the pond but it is possible to do, IMO.

56BISON73
09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
If NDSU could bring in more $$ for scholarships....why not?

Yes, the geography is not perfect but it is a conference that could be a possibility.

Expect a lot......get a lot!

Are MAC athletic budgets that much more than NDSU's??

I have been on Ball State's campus.....comparable to NDSU's.

We would definitely be the small fish in the pond but it is possible to do, IMO.

Of course its possible BUT is in realistic. Is it in the MACs best interest? What does NDSU offer the MAC academically???? Is it in NDSUs best interest. Can NDSU come up with the additional MILLIONS. Its just not schoolies its also travel expenses for ALL teams. Plus you have to add teams because of Title 9. The list is long and fraut with pot holes. What are the odds.
Youve got a better chance to win the lottery.

lakesbison
09-01-2010, 12:41 AM
if NDSU went FBS, more people will come out of the woodwork. there's a large segment of people in the valley that just enjoy FBS football, and ndsu aint got them on their payroll donation wise right now.

56BISON73
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
If you dont like Bison Football now then you aint going to like it in the MAC or the WAC.

NDSUstudent
09-01-2010, 12:48 AM
The MAC is a tightly knit conference, they won't want NDSU because we'll mess that up. Every school will have to fly here and that is for every game VB, BB, softball, etc. It adds up, especially when you consider they would be coming here for one game. Summit schools have to do that with SUU now and they hate it.

The only way it would enter the realm of possibility is if UND or SDSU would be our partner and I wouldn't hold my breath on either of those schools going FBS in the next decade. Both would need an extensive facility upgrade to go along with more $$$ to the athletic budget.

OrygunBison
09-01-2010, 02:45 AM
#43 . . .

BisoninNWMN
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
#43 . . .

....glad you can count....thanks for the counter update.

Gully
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't think it's crazy that the MAC would be interested in adding NDSU. I'm not sure what the MAC does for NDSU though. I wouldn't be very excited about that at all. I think our best shot at this point is the Valley and hope to get in the Valley for bb.

I was on the WAC bandwagon in the past but seeing the new WAC / gone WAC that just isn't going to happen. Settling for the MAC just to be FBS isn't worth it to me. I'm very happy with the Valley and playing a big regional FBS game each year or at least most years.

Bison bison
09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I can't help but think that BYU going independent isn't the beginning of the end (or more a new beginning (if nothing else it's the middle of something (or at the very least it isn't the very beginning))).

I think that Texas is going to be rechecking its math regarding going independent.

OrygunBison
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
....glad you can count....thanks for the counter update.

The counting is about as relevant as the rest of the dialog in this thread.

Back to it...

BisoninNWMN
09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
The counting is about as relevant as the rest of the dialog in this thread.

Back to it...

Don't read the thread then.

OrygunBison
09-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Don't read the thread then.

Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately, we have about 10 similar threads. Don't like it... filter me out.

Back to it...

#49.

If we try hard enough, we can get this thread up to a couple of hundred posts. LET'S DO THIS!!!!

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I would love the MAC. I would probably lose interest in the football program, but it would be awesome for basketball.

tjbison
09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I would love the MAC. I would probably lose interest in the football program, but it would be awesome for basketball.

So would the Valley;)

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2010, 05:22 PM
So would the Valley;)

The Valley would be even better. A much better basketball conference than the MAC and we would still have meaningful games in football, playoffs considering.

BisoninNWMN
09-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately, we have about 10 similar threads. Don't like it... filter me out.

Back to it...

#49.

If we try hard enough, we can get this thread up to a couple of hundred posts. LET'S DO THIS!!!!

Small minds are easily amused.....