PDA

View Full Version : St. Cloud State to drop football?

bisonpride4ever
08-18-2010, 06:58 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/288160/group/Sports/

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20100818/NEWS01/108170031/SCSU-may-give-football-the-boot

didn't they just build a new football stadium a few years ago? This is one reason why we don't need hockey either.

ndsubison1
08-18-2010, 07:48 AM
But they have hockey?

sambini
08-18-2010, 08:29 AM
What a mess....

met1990
08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
didn't they just build a new football stadium a few years ago? This is one reason why we don't need hockey either.

Field hockey maybe?

KC Bison
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
It seems like they just built some type of practice bubble and added to or actually built a new stadium. They're a big commuter school, only an hour out of the Twin Cities but have never gotten out of the shadow of the Gophers. They've never had great support for football and now hockey has drained away any support that was left. Have to agree that the DIII sport of hockey would not be helpful at NDSU.

KTF
08-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Per their website, the Husky field was built in 2004 but is multi-purpose so not as big of a loss if football only. I can see a lot of the MN schools like Mankato, Bemidji, and Duluth going this route if the NSIC grants the request. Heck I can even see UND going this route if they can't build up their program over the next 5 years...

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletics/facilities/stadium.asp

aces1180
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
It's not just St. Cloud State...I have heard rumblings that quite a few MNSCU institutions may have to drop some sports due to financial issues.

tony
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Man, that'd be too bad.

According to the St. Cloud Times SCSU needs to eliminate a $500k budget gap in the athletic department and the three options are:

1. Getting rid of football
2. Getting rid of football and three other sports
3. Keeping football and getting rid of EIGHT other sports (D2's requirements call for a minimum of 10 sports)

I think the above is a little misleading because I think they are working on other options too.

NDSUstudent
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Too bad they can't just axe women's hockey...Title IX continues to do more damage.

Bison bison
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Can't help but wonder if this isn't a55hole fundraising in action.

skolbrother
08-18-2010, 03:42 PM
It seems like they just built some type of practice bubble and added to or actually built a new stadium. They're a big commuter school, only an hour out of the Twin Cities but have never gotten out of the shadow of the Gophers. They've never had great support for football and now hockey has drained away any support that was left. Have to agree that the DIII sport of hockey would not be helpful at NDSU.

This board is wearing me out, everything turns into a hockey bashing session. NDSU and Fargo are certainly not St. Cloud or St. Cloud St. the ability support both is not that crazy but if you feel different I respect that but God am I bored with the hockey bashing. It is a great sport, not for you ok, I am not a huge wrestling fan, i don't take every chance to rip on it, get over it people.

On the upside paid my tailgate dues and will be front row in the tailgate lot again with my crew to support the Herd!

Bison bison
08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
chill out, skol.

while kc did smack hockey there is an underlying point:

Hockey, especially with Title IX, is an absolute resource hog.

onbison09
08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Seriously Forum? St. Cloud State will ask the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference for permission stay in the league if the school drops one of the sports

KC Bison
08-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Just wanted to add a few numbers, SCSU has almost 18,000 students and only averaged slightly over 4,000 a game for their football games for the 2009 season. I will continue to hold my opinion on hockey's drain on other sports, popular or not.

Bison bison
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know if would say that hockey drains support for other supports.

I think that there are finite entertainment dollars in any market, same with potential donors for college schollys. Hockey is a marquee sport (like football and basketball) it tends to tap these pockets well.

tony
08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Just wanted to add a few numbers, SCSU has almost 18,000 students and only averaged slightly over 4,000 a game for their football games for the 2009 season. I will continue to hold my opinion on hockey's drain on other sports, popular or not.

Well, their attendance was bad before they ever had DI hockey.

roadwarrior
08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, their attendance was bad before they ever had DI hockey.

So was their football stadium.

onbison09
08-18-2010, 06:46 PM

I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess they seem to do pretty well attendance wise. They average 5K a game, 9th in the country. I know that will produce more hockey bashing on here but still not bad. They also made the finals of the WCHA tournament and made the regional final before losing 5-3 to the eventually national champs. But I agree with your point to a certain extent but you can make it work. As for the football team, if you win you'll do better. http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/m_icehockey_rb/2009/MIH%20attendance.pdf

roadwarrior
08-18-2010, 06:56 PM
No doubt their new football stadium increased attendance over what it was in the old "prison yard".

skolbrother
08-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Ok, I will chill.
Let me make my point another way. St. Cloud State struggled in football long before they put a hockey program in place. They are a commuter school. They will struggle to draw football fans there whether they have hockey or not, I suspect the athletic department likes the revenue the hockey program generates. So my point is, blaming the hockey program for 4 decades of ineptitude in football is bit like me blaming the Twins for the Vikings lack of a Super Bowl title.

EndZoneQB
08-18-2010, 08:08 PM

That's almost averaging a sell out every game...the stadium only seats like 4900..........................it's not going to get much better.

tjbison
08-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Ok, I will chill.
Let me make my point another way. St. Cloud State struggled in football long before they put a hockey program in place. They are a commuter school. They will struggle to draw football fans there whether they have hockey or not, I suspect the athletic department likes the revenue the hockey program generates. So my point is, blaming the hockey program for 4 decades of ineptitude in football is bit like me blaming the Twins for the Vikings lack of a Super Bowl title.

you can blame Favre for that!!:hide: :D

The_Sicatoka
08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
(I can't believe nobody has taken the easy one ... )

SCSU has football? :bow:

JSUBison
08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Didn't some guy from a St. Cloud newspaper rip on NDSU for moving up back in the day? What was the quote, and I wonder what that genius has to say now?

sambini
08-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Didn't some guy from a St. Cloud newspaper rip on NDSU for moving up back in the day? What was the quote, and I wonder what that genius has to say now?
Yes he did....

BisoninNWMN
08-19-2010, 01:30 AM
18K students and they ave only 4K/ FB game......wow!!

I would love hockey at NDSU but maybe it might not be such a good idea...:smh: :smh:

EndZoneQB
08-19-2010, 01:35 AM
18K students and they ave only 4K/ FB game......wow!!

I would love hockey at NDSU but maybe it might not be such a good idea...:smh: :smh:

For the second time, their stadium only holds 4198...averaging roughly a sell out isn't bad for a non-football DII school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_Stadium_(St._Cloud)

KC Bison
08-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Well, the obvious question is why has St. Cloud State had a surviving athletic budget for the last 40 years with a really weak football program and now their failing. I know Title 9 plays a role in all this but I also think you can sell a lot of hockey tickets and still lose money paying for a hockey facility and maintenance costs. It's an extremely expensive sport to get started and to keep it rolling. I'm not aware of any sugar-daddy that helped SCS get their hockey program started.

BisoninNWMN
08-19-2010, 02:06 AM
For the second time, their stadium only holds 4198...averaging roughly a sell out isn't bad for a non-football DII school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_Stadium_(St._Cloud)

Yes, I saw that. I just thought there would have been more people, as in, long lines to get into the games.

Plus with that many students.....not many must go. I'm sure they only have a certain amount for students.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets cut. I'm sure wrestling is gone also.

coldspot
08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Well, the obvious question is why has St. Cloud State had a surviving athletic budget for the last 40 years with a really weak football program and now their failing. I know Title 9 plays a role in all this but I also think you can sell a lot of hockey tickets and still lose money paying for a hockey facility and maintenance costs. It's an extremely expensive sport to get started and to keep it rolling. I'm not aware of any sugar-daddy that helped SCS get their hockey program started.

the only money theyre losing on the hockey facility is the renovation they've got planned for it next year, which might be the reason theyre doing all this talk of cutting this and that.

EndZoneQB
08-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Yes, I saw that. I just thought there would have been more people, as in, long lines to get into the games.

Plus with that many students.....not many must go. I'm sure they only have a certain amount for students.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets cut. I'm sure wrestling is gone also.

Remember, they haven't been good...ever. What was NDSU's average attendance since going into the dome? It's only been full since we've been DI, so don't talk like we had lines around the building to get in until recently. Also, the hockey arena only seats ~5700 anyway so it's not like everyone there is going to hockey games either. Like someone else stated, it's probably commuter school considering its distance from Minneapolis.

Bison bison
08-19-2010, 03:03 AM

my guess would be that they used significant levels of institutional funds to support athletics.

the cuts to higher education coming out of saint paul have been significant. you can only lay off so many faculty before people start looking at coaches.

sambini
08-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Man this doesn't sound good at all for the Huskies.

onbison09
08-19-2010, 05:07 AM

I believe the Herburger's people helped build the arena.

HerdBot
08-19-2010, 07:21 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/288160/group/Sports/

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20100818/NEWS01/108170031/SCSU-may-give-football-the-boot

According to this article in the Star Tribune, HOCKEY is the only sport that makes money. Cue the NDSU Hockey discussion and the picture of the guy rubbing his head and saying "not this shit again!"

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/101039519.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUUT

How would that effect us? It can't hurt having 1 less Minnesota team to compete with. Should make every team in the region a little better.

skolbrother
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
According to this article in the Star Tribune, HOCKEY is the only sport that makes money. Cue the NDSU Hockey discussion and the picture of the guy rubbing his head and saying "not this shit again!"

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/101039519.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUUT

How would that effect us? It can't hurt having 1 less Minnesota team to compete with. Should make every team in the region a little better.

Never let the facts get in the way of someone protecting their piece of turf.

In 30 years of following the Bison I think I can only recall 2 notable SCSU football players: Todd Bouman and running back in the mid 80's I think his name was Harry Jackson anyone remember him?

aces1180
08-19-2010, 02:47 PM

In 30 years of following the Bison I think I can only recall 2 notable SCSU football players: Todd Bouman and running back in the mid 80's I think his name was Harry Jackson anyone remember him?

Keith Heckendorf (Kole's older brother) was a stud too.

Answer Guy
08-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Johnny Kimbrough mid-70's.

siouxdgj
08-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Ok, I will chill.

Excellent analogy. Precise, concise and right on. As Walter Cronkite used to say, "And that's the way it is..."

The_Sicatoka
08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
SCSU puts out a ton of public school teachers. (I'll save that punchline for another day.)

Teachers generally are not "deep pocket" donors.

Da Bison
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
According to this article in the Star Tribune, Men's HOCKEY is the only sport that makes money. Cue the NDSU Hockey discussion and the picture of the guy rubbing his head and saying "not this shit again!"

FIFY

Women's hockey is the problem.

onbison09
08-20-2010, 03:11 AM
FIFY

Women's hockey is the problem.

Yuppers.

(10 char)

sambini
08-22-2010, 06:31 AM
FIFY

Women's hockey is the problem. Yes it is++++++++

KC Bison
08-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Apparently, we have a solution. If they increase students fees by $2 per credit, they could raise $580,000 for athletics. Now, the question is if all those liberals at St. Cloud State will allow an increase in credit costs to pay for those awful athletes.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15899774

aces1180
08-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Apparently, we have a solution. If they increase students fees by $2 per credit, they could raise $580,000 for athletics. Now, the question is if all those liberals at St. Cloud State will allow an increase in credit costs to pay for those awful athletes.

Dammit, as my wife is an online Master's student at St. Cloud State, that means I'll be footing the bill. I call BS!*

*Not really, $12 a semester is less than a family trip to Qdoba for lunch. I could honestly care less about SCSU football, but I do cheer for them in their recruiting battles against UND and USD.

ndsubison1
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I like this comment. Not trying to get into politics too much but he does have a point:

Why not take the money from student fees that goes to all of the liberal groups that are promoting worthless causes and give that money to the athletic department? There's nothing worse that walking through Atwood hearing propaganda about all of the liberal groups rights.

TheBisonator
08-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh for God's sake people, shup up with the political crap...

tjbison
08-27-2010, 12:57 AM
What are Liberals??

:D

BisoninNWMN
08-27-2010, 02:19 AM
What are Liberals??

:D

My parents....both retired teachers....big surprise!!

I keep asking them if I was adopted being a stanch conservative!!....:D

JackJD
08-28-2010, 04:36 PM

It's more complicated than that: the question is also whether all the conservatives on the campus will allow any increase in credit costs.

St. Cloud State is in a world of hurt. Minnesota's legislature is not interested in funding education as it did in the past.

Gully
08-29-2010, 02:16 AM
It's more complicated than that: the question is also whether all the conservatives on the campus will allow any increase in credit costs.

St. Cloud State is in a world of hurt. Minnesota's legislature is not interested in funding education as it did in the past.

I doubt there are many conservatives on SCSUs campus.

JackJD
08-29-2010, 04:12 AM

I recall some strife a couple years ago in which certain races were targeted by some SCSU students...I don't think that was blamed on any liberal groups. But, in any event, the point is: there may not be enough money in the system and SCSU has to make cuts somewhere and I don't think that's due to whether one is liberal or conservative.

And, somebody noted earlier that its probably best to not get real political on a sports message board.

sambini
08-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Not enough dough something must go...

KC Bison
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that the couple of years that I went to that school that I was the only conservative on campus.:D