PDA

View Full Version : FB Practice Notes: Tuesday August 10th

99Bison
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=194

SDbison
08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the notes.......please keep this up. Great for all of us who are out of town, or just can't make it to the practices.

Kermit
08-11-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=194

Good stuff. I think it is great that Bison Illustrated is expanding their coverage! I see a bright future for the publication/website.

I do have a question about one of the observations in this blurb:

Derrick Lang, a redshirt freshman running back, is a small guy but was able to find some holes and hide well behind his blockers.

I am a Derrick Lang fan, but he came originally as a fullback and at 5'11" and 211 lb., I wouldn't call him a "small" guy. Furthermore, he is a straight ahead power runner whose style is not really to hide behind his blockers. Is there any chance that #42 (Lang) was confused with #24 (Ryan Smith)?

SDbison
08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I also have a question. You commented that Mohler was more confortable and confident as QB. How about his performance (i.e. ability to hit receivers in stride, under pressure delivery, checkdown receivers, avoid interceptions, etc)? Also, would like to have analysis of each QB's capabilities / weaknesses over a several day period. Thanks!

99Bison
08-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Good questions guys, I didn't write it or attend practice, but will ask the writer.

roadwarrior
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
It looks like Bison Illustrated is becoming the source for news about the Bison!

Thanks!

BadlandsBison
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
It looks like Bison Illustrated is becoming the source for news about the Bison!

Thanks!

I'm all for it! Keep it comin' BI

SDbison
08-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks Bison Illustrated.........you fill the gaps and become the #1 source for Bison news in FM and the US......daily and weekly, not just monthly. More power to ya!

lakesbison
08-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Change your BISON FLAG down on Main Ave though BI!

good job!

99Bison
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Change your BISON FLAG down on Main Ave though BI!

good job!

What you don't like "Biso Illustra" You want to climb out there and do it? :D

lakesbison
08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
ha ha. no climbing for me bud!

NorthernBison
08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Thank you all very much for posting observations of what you see on the practice field.

Here's what I'm hoping to hear, "Offensive and defensive teams looked evenly matched. Some players made occasional outstanding plays."

I really don't want to hear about any particular player or unit lighting it up. That would give me reason to lose sleep at night.

FWIW, I really don't want to hear about the offense lighting up the defense because then I'll wonder if it is because the offense is so good or the defense is so bad.

I really don't want to hear how we have a running back that can't be tackled or can't be caught either.

Carry on.

EndZoneQB
08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Thank you all very much for posting observations of what you see on the practice field.

Here's what I'm hoping to hear, "Offensive and defensive teams looked evenly matched. Some players made occasional outstanding plays."

I really don't want to hear about any particular player or unit lighting it up. That would give me reason to lose sleep at night.

FWIW, I really don't want to hear about the offense lighting up the defense because then I'll wonder if it is because the offense is so good or the defense is so bad.

I really don't want to hear how we have a running back that can't be tackled or can't be caught either.

Carry on.

You're a fan for the wrong sport. Maybe you should try chess or underwater basket weaving?

tony
08-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Well, wouldn't a pessimist just assume that both sides of the ball suck equally? :)

NorthernBison
08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, wouldn't a pessimist just assume that both sides of the ball suck equally? :)

True. I would still stay positive and assume that both are good.

Actually, I remember the Walker years where the offense didn't look that impressive in practice but we had a "kick a$$" defense (my one Childress imitation). That made for some nice surprises on gameday.

Right now, I really hope I don't hear much about running backs who our defense can't tackle. Our recent history would lead me to believe that is a tackling problem and not huge RB talent.

Tatanka
08-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Actually, I remember the Walker years where the offense didn't look that impressive in practice but we had a "kick a$$" defense (my one Childress imitation). That made for some nice surprises on gameday.

Right now, I really hope I don't hear much about running backs who our defense can't tackle. Our recent history would lead me to believe that is a tackling problem and not huge RB talent.

Got to agree with this... :hide:

Bison Dan
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Got to agree with this... :hide:

Everyone relax - it's the FIRST day of having pad's on.

DjKyRo
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM

I should point out that our RBs put up big runs all year last year, notably Mike Sigers @ Iowa State. Defense will be fine.

NorthernBison
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Now you're sounding like a new guy. Everybody overreacts to everything. That's the way we roll.

Superfan
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Our real problem is that the team is using Kotex instead of Always with wings. But like he said...it is the first day. They'll get used to them. :hide:

Tatanka
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM

One of the things that bothered me last year was a lack of fundamentals on defense, tackling being foremost in my mind. I saw way too many of the opposing team who squirted through our defense* seemingly at will. I understand that it's the first day in pads, etc, but I want to see that trend reversed and sooner rather than later.

* - That's what they call T-Ball, right there.

bisonmike2
08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
One of the things that bothered me last year was a lack of fundamentals on defense, tackling being foremost in my mind. I saw way too many of the opposing team who squirted through our defense* seemingly at will. I understand that it's the first day in pads, etc, but I want to see that trend reversed and sooner rather than later.

* - That's what they call T-Ball, right there.

I don't get it?:blush:

westnodak93bison
08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Is this thread going to be a daily report? I hope so. Thanks in advance. :)

99Bison
08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I also have a question. You commented that Mohler was more confortable and confident as QB. How about his performance (i.e. ability to hit receivers in stride, under pressure delivery, checkdown receivers, avoid interceptions, etc)? Also, would like to have analysis of each QB's capabilities / weaknesses over a several day period. Thanks!

We'll keep watching the QB'sy. Unforuntately this year we aren't able to make it to all the practices to get a completely wholistic view/opinion.

As for additional comments thus far - the writer indicated QB's still even but having ups and downs any given day, not sure yet if that's new scemes, players themselves, receiver's, etc.

99Bison
08-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Good stuff. I think it is great that Bison Illustrated is expanding their coverage! I see a bright future for the publication/website.

I do have a question about one of the observations in this blurb:

I am a Derrick Lang fan, but he came originally as a fullback and at 5'11" and 211 lb., I wouldn't call him a "small" guy. Furthermore, he is a straight ahead power runner whose style is not really to hide behind his blockers. Is there any chance that #42 (Lang) was confused with #24 (Ryan Smith)?

Writer says he was correctly referencing Lang, "they both got some carries and Lang had some nice cuts and was pretty quick. Got a look at both but it was definitely 42 who was making some of those runs"

Perhaps "hide" could have been better worded as followed or slid.

Kermit
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Writer says he was correctly referencing Lang, "they both got some carries and Lang had some nice cuts and was pretty quick. Got a look at both but it was definitely 42 who was making some of those runs"

Perhaps "hide" could have been better worded as followed or slid.

OK. Thanks for the followup!

bisongirl
08-12-2010, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Kermit;385181]Good stuff. I think it is great that Bison Illustrated is expanding their coverage! I see a bright future for the publication/website.

We are expanding the website content so keep checking it out!

westnodak93bison
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
How about an update on special teams. I sure hope Polasek can push that unit in the right direction.

AEBison1998
08-13-2010, 02:07 AM
I watched practise for the first time today. It was hard to tell a lot because it wasn't full contact. But it was still fun to see a lot of the new kids that I had never seen before. Here are my thoughts....but I'm no expert.

-Thorton looked like a QB to me. He tosses a nice ball.
-Marcus Williams looks like an excellent player. He stood out
-Ryan Smith is not very big. His size stats are not all that far away from Mike Sigers but he doesn't look like him. He needs to be pointed to the ice cream machine.
-A lot of dropped passes.
-Freddy Banks looked to me like he has really improved.
-Justin Howard gets thrown a lot of passes and catches a lot of passes.
-John Pike is a small guy but he looks like he might be particularly good in passing downs. He had a pick again and almost two. He is good at playing the ball when it is in the air and not necessarily just watching where the receiver is going.
-Leevon Perry was getting a lot of the coaches attention. LIke I said the plays weren't full contact, but the fact that I kept hearing his name I thought meant that he was someone the coaches were making sure they "coach" and get to improve. I think they expect him to be a force.
-Cooper Wahlo looks really fast, but he had some drops on the long bombs. If he can improve his catching, he could be a force on those plays. I think there is real potential there. He was well covered and he almost brought it in.
-Titus Mack made some good plays. He has pretty good hands.
-In the QB battle it looked to me like it was what we have been hearing. Jose does a little overall better job, but he tosses more picks. This could be an interesting battle.

TransAmBison
08-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I watched practise for the first time today. It was hard to tell a lot because it wasn't full contact. But it was still fun to see a lot of the new kids that I had never seen before. Here are my thoughts....but I'm no expert.

-Thorton looked like a QB to me. He tosses a nice ball.
-Marcus Williams looks like an excellent player. He stood out
-Ryan Smith is not very big. His size stats are not all that far away from Mike Sigers but he doesn't look like him. He needs to be pointed to the ice cream machine.
-A lot of dropped passes.
-Freddy Banks looked to me like he has really improved.
-Justin Howard gets thrown a lot of passes and catches a lot of passes.
-John Pike is a small guy but he looks like he might be particularly good in passing downs. He had a pick again and almost two. He is good at playing the ball when it is in the air and not necessarily just watching where the receiver is going.
-Leevon Perry was getting a lot of the coaches attention. LIke I said the plays weren't full contact, but the fact that I kept hearing his name I thought meant that he was someone the coaches were making sure they "coach" and get to improve. I think they expect him to be a force.
-Cooper Wahlo looks really fast, but he had some drops on the long bombs. If he can improve his catching, he could be a force on those plays. I think there is real potential there. He was well covered and he almost brought it in.
-Titus Mack made some good plays. He has pretty good hands.
-In the QB battle it looked to me like it was what we have been hearing. Jose does a little overall better job, but he tosses more picks. This could be an interesting battle.

The first bolded statement. How does that happen with a west coast offense? Seriously? Why do we have such a hard time recruiting receivers that can catch? Are our coaches so hung up on speed they overlook catching ability? Serious question.

Second bolded...that is good to hear. If he doesn't deliver this year it will be tough. Holloway is okay, but we need more.

RRVBISON
08-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Has anyone seen our new kicker at practice yet? Is he still injured?

AEBison1998
08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
He wasn't kicking yesterday. Jastram did the kicking yesterday. He must still be out.

Kermit
08-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Has anyone seen our new kicker at practice yet? Is he still injured?

Kolpack just posted on the Bison Media Blog that he expects to be back in action on Monday. Same with Austin Richard. :)

Kolpack has been going nuts with posting to the blog this week. Great stuff!