PDA

View Full Version : Today's Forum -- really?

Pages : [1] 2

Swany
08-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I thought the North Dakota State Bison played in Fargo? I read the Forum online this morning and the only college football story I see is about Dale Lennon and his Southern Illinois Salukis. I guess there must not be anything, whatsoever, to write about with the Bison (football and volleyball) teams.

I get the local connection, Lennon from Knox, former UND guy. Okay, whatever. IT IS THE FARGO FORUM, RIGHT? I'm slow to throw the hammer on other media outlets for their choice of coverage, but to have a story on a conference opponent that doesn't even play in North Dakota in the middle of fall camp adds up like Canadian money.

All I can say is, really Forum, really?

Tatanka
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I thought the North Dakota State Bison played in Fargo? I read the Forum online this morning and the only college football story I see is about Dale Lennon and his Southern Illinois Salukis. I guess there must not be anything, whatsoever, to write about with the Bison (football and volleyball) teams.

I get the local connection, Lennon from Knox, former UND guy. Okay, whatever. IT IS THE FARGO FORUM, RIGHT? I'm slow to throw the hammer on other media outlets for their choice of coverage, but to have a story on a conference opponent that doesn't even play in North Dakota in the middle of fall camp adds up like Canadian money.

:hide: Actually, Canaidan money is worth almost the same as US money nowadays. The Mexican peso is still worthless though, as is the Fargo Forum.

Bison bison
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I get the local connection, Lennon from Knox, former UND guy.

Everyone from Benson County with the exception of Leeds and Harlow is an A$$HOLE!!!

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
you need to calm down.

its the fool-um. the paper has sucked since the beginning of time. this should not come as a surprise.

tony
08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I kind of wish we'd get more stories about other teams in the MVFC but, even so, the Dale Lennon worship is getting a little old.

NorthernBison
Everyone from Benson County with the exception of Leeds and Harlow is an A$$HOLE!!!

You forgot Maddock (Lots of good people come from there). Good thing I'm in a good mood or you would be feeling my wrath.

I do think my Mother will like the story since she considers Dale's Mother a friend.

Bison bison
You forgot Maddock (Lots of good people come from there).

No, I didn't. :p

lakesbison
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Lennon will fall HARD when Jerry Kills recruits are out of the program after this year.
MARK MY WORDS.

The forum is so ANTI-NDSU it aint even funny, thankfully their ad revenues are plummeting because SMART Fargo Businessmen are showing the forum the door and their disklike for the Anti-NDSU bashing.

Karma Bitches.

aces1180
08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Lennon will fall HARD when Jerry Kills recruits are out of the program after this year.
MARK MY WORDS.

The forum is so ANTI-NDSU it aint even funny, thankfully their ad revenues are plummeting because SMART Fargo Businessmen are showing the forum the door and their disklike for the Anti-NDSU bashing.

Karma Bitches.

I don't know the numbers, but I agree with Lakes...The best way to show displeasure for a newspaper is to influence others not to advertise there. That is a reason that the paper has shrunk so much over the past year or so.

WYOBISONMAN
08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
MARK MY WORDS.

I agree with this.

bisonmike2
08-09-2010, 03:50 PM
you need to calm down.

its the fool-um. the paper has sucked since the beginning of time. this should not come as a surprise.

THIS. I have ceased to be surprised by what the Forum prints or does not print anymore. For a little while this morning there was a breaking news alert on the Foolum.com stating that NDSU has changed it's auditing proceedure. How that hell is that worthy of a breaking news banner?

NorthernBison
08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
THIS. I have ceased to be surprised by what the Forum prints or does not print anymore. For a little while this morning there was a breaking news alert on the Foolum.com stating that NDSU has changed it's auditing proceedure. How that hell is that worthy of a breaking news banner?

I have no idea how the heck they decide what the Breaking news banner should pick up. Right now it is the story identifying the 37 year old guy who bashed his head in at We Fest when he tripped over a trailer and hit a bus. I'm sure everybody was waiting to put a name with that story.

Twentysix
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
:hide: Actually, Canaidan money is worth almost the same as US money nowadays. The Mexican peso is still worthless though, as is the Fargo Forum.

In canada right now. The exchange was 1$ us for .98 CaD.

Canadian dollar is actually worth more, or was on saturday.

NorthernBison
08-09-2010, 04:22 PM

You're getting screwed. Current CD quote is .97447. So for every US dollar you should get $1.0262 CD.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-09-2010, 04:27 PM

man that's so pathetic I remember going to Banff and our hotel costed like 250-275ish Canadian but that was like 70-80 american

Twentysix
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
man that's so pathetic I remember going to Banff and our hotel costed like 250-275ish Canadian but that was like 70-80 american

Last time we went it was like 77 cents american for a canadian dollar. That was pretty neat.

Everything here is so expensive. 12 inch sub no meal at subway is 10$... and a small combo at A&W was 11.92. Yet, the food at the Imax was reasonable, cheaper than an american movie theater for sure. Thread drift over.

Bisonguy
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM

You're doing teh maths wrong. Lowest exchange rate was 1 Canada dollar=.6179 real dollar.

Bison bison
08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
not necessarily. it's not as if individual prices (e.g. hotel rates) fluctuate in lock-step with exchange rates.

also, don't be upset about the exchange rate. the canadian dollar is strong for the same reason nd is growing -

natural resources
agriculture
a financial sector that didn't go bat-sh#t crazy

NorthernBison
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
not necessarily. it's not as if individual prices (e.g. hotel rates) fluctuate in lock-step with exchange rates.

also, don't be upset about the exchange rate. the canadian dollar is strong for the same reason nd is growing -

natural resources
agriculture
a financial sector that didn't go bat-sh#t crazy

1. I did not take the Banff example literally. Even if the Canadian dollar was selling at a 38% discount (highest ever), a $250 room would be about $150 US.

2. Now is a very bad time to spend our money in Canada. Everything up there is priced like it always has been. Hence, the reason why every other car in the West Acres lot has Manitoba license plates on the weekend.

SDbison
08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Is this the US - Canada monetary exchange rate thread? :confused:
Looking at the thread title I thought it was about the Forum's lack of NDSU coverage.:banghead:

Bison"FANatic"
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
1. I did not take the Banff example literally. Even if the Canadian dollar was selling at a 38% discount (highest ever), a $250 room would be about $150 US.

2. Now is a very bad time to spend our money in Canada. Everything up there is priced like it always has been. Hence, the reason why every other car in the West Acres lot has Manitoba license plates on the weekend.

To continue with the thread drift. Last Thanksgiving had some extra family end up deciding to stay and we were out of bed space so I had to run to the only place open to get a blow up bed and that was Walmart. Parked the car and walked toward the store out of the 15 cars parked 13 were from Canada. Thanks for spending your money but to bad they get their sales tax back if they request it.

bisonmike2
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Back in the late 90's early 00's the exchange rate was around .69 to .75ish US to 1 CAN. Trips to Winnipeg were the bomb. Pick up a shitty hotel room and the Windsor Canadian, the bar had $1 (Canadian)beer specials during the day and 2 for 1's at night. Oh man, those were the days. And it was Canadian beer which is like twice as potent as the American crap, which meant that on a Saturday afternoon at the Windsor Park Inn you were getting the equivalent of 2 American beers for about $0.70 US. Not including tip of course. Plus on the way back at the border, if you saved your receipts from the hotel and what-not you could get all the taxes that you paid in Canada back on the spot. They've changed that not too long ago to where you have to fill out a form and send it in. At the time there was nothing like getting a nice refund for a whole weekend's worth of drinking and partying.

Oh and I live by the Albertville outlet mall, f*cking Canadians everywhere all the time.

NorthernBison
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Is this the US - Canada monetary exchange rate thread? :confused:
Looking at the thread title I thought it was about the Forum's lack of NDSU coverage.:banghead:

Over 6,000 posts on your record but you sound like a new guy. Welcome to Bisonville.

The Forum isn't worth spending a dime on. No way should they have printed an article about the Salukis. It's the FARGO Forum and not the Carbondale Forum.

lakesbison
08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
The FORUM is paying for its decisions with the ANTI=NDSU stuff. believe it

They are just going off the deep end with this, they are going out of their way to be anti-ndsu.

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Oh and I live by the Albertville outlet mall, f*cking Canadians everywhere all the time.
you should see them come canada day in july, and school clothes shopping season in fargo...i think theres more manitoba plates on the interstates and streets than ND/MN plates combined. they cant drive worth a crap.

oh and +1 to road trips to winnipeg..teasers strip club...funny times:nod:

bisonmike2
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
you should see them come canada day in july, and school clothes shopping season in fargo...i think theres more manitoba plates on the interstates and streets than ND/MN plates combined. they cant drive worth a crap.

oh and +1 to road trips to winnipeg..teasers strip club...funny times:nod:

I had a poster signed by Cindy Cinnamon, a.k.a, Miss Quebec. Got it signed at Teasers during their Banana Festival Week. That is the funniest strip club I've ever been too, admittedly I haven't been to more then a 1/2 dozen or so.

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
MARK MY WORDS.

Disagree. They might come down a little because they will have to replace a lot of talent, but if there's one thing Lennon has proven over time it's that he can flat out coach. They'll rebuild and remain a mainstay among the upper portion of the MVC.

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I had a poster signed by Cindy Cinnamon, a.k.a, Miss Quebec. Got it signed at Teasers during their Banana Festival Week. That is the funniest strip club I've ever been too, admittedly I haven't been to more then a 1/2 dozen or so.

candy cummings here. did they play the looneys & tooneys game where you tried to knock it off their nook?

i was throwing nickels and dimes to her when i was called out by the dj for not throwing looneys and tooneys

tony
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I had a poster signed by Cindy Cinnamon, a.k.a, Miss Quebec. Got it signed at Teasers during their Banana Festival Week. That is the funniest strip club I've ever been too, admittedly I haven't been to more then a 1/2 dozen or so this week.

FIFY. :)

Anyway, usually WDAY radio has good Bison stuff on Monday. Today it was live from Grand Forks for UND football coverage (media day.)

Hehe. Now I'm ducking and covering :hide:

As long as the Forum Communications covers NDSU well (fairly and like the state flagship school in their home town deserves), I don't care if they cover UND. I have no idea if the Manhattan paper covers Kansas U. or Stillwater cover Oklahoma U. so don't know if the Forum is in line with what they do.

The_Sicatoka
08-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Anyway, usually WDAY radio has good Bison stuff on Monday. Today it was live from Grand Forks for UND football coverage (media day.)

Honestly, that's far from unexpected given that WDAY-AM is now the home of UND Athletics in the Fargo area.

Alternatively, there's far more NDSU coverage on KFGO and 740 The Fan than there was last year (given they are now covering NDSU).

Covering a conference rival, the pre-season pick, that has a local tie (coach), would seem to me to be reasonable.

Now if the Forum covered say Cal Poly or Cal-Davis I think there'd be a basis for a beef.

In this case I'll say to those concerned about an SIU article: untwist your knickers.

tony
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Honestly, that's far from unexpected given that WDAY-AM is now the home of UND Athletics in the Fargo area.

Pfft. So was Bismarck's radio home of UND athletics broadcasting live in Grand Forks? :)

lakesbison
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
WDAY is showing its TRUE COLORS. Play the cards accordingly Bison Fans.

Bison"FANatic"
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
WDAY is showing its TRUE COLORS. Play the cards accordingly Bison Fans.

Didn't we pull the coverage from WDAY????
Did you think the coverage would increase after we didn't sign a contract with them again??????

The_Sicatoka
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Pfft. So was Bismarck's radio home of UND athletics broadcasting live in Grand Forks? :)

The Bismarck outlet isn't a ForumComm station, WDAY-AM is, and the new/expanded UND relationship is with ForumComm.

But, NDSU is getting "Bison Updates" on 740 The Fan a couple times a day now. Things change. {shrug}

The_Sicatoka
08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Didn't we pull the coverage from WDAY????
Did you think the coverage would increase after we didn't sign a contract with them again??????

How dare you bring simple logic to the internet.

KTF
08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing at first but when I read the story I found it to be rather interesting. Exposure to other programs could possibly have a positive twist. Say the Forum pumps the other MVFC programs, when the average "joe" that doesn't live on here reads the article, they will realize the Bison are playing a tough opponent and purchase tickets because of a good game.

Are we really that worried about a single newspaper article? WOW!!

Minneapolis Jack
08-09-2010, 08:35 PM
MARK MY WORDS.

Karma Bitches.

I doubt it will be too hard for Lennon to recruit with a couple MVC championships and a brand new stadium/facilities. I think SIU is going to be here to stay.

Bison bison
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM

My point holds. It's not as if all prices/relative purchasing power move in lock step with the exchange rate.

NorthernBison
08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
My point holds. It's not as if all prices/relative purchasing power move in lock step with the exchange rate.

Oh, I agree. What I posted was not disagreeing with your point. I should have been more clear.

Now, lets get back on track before we all get a butt whipping from SDBison.

rdh701
08-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Brinsmade is OK too!:D

SlickVic
08-10-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't mind I actually like lennon ever since I seen that sioux sports weekly a few years ago when his wife was running a marathan the host asked him about it and he was like "yeah she really needed to hit the track" lol he's a sweet dude and honestly once bohls gone I'd have him on the a list no doubt about it wed be lucky to have him...kevin shrempf is by far the best writer in fargo moorhead his aricle saturday was a pleasure to read in my opionion if k shremf cover or was allowed to cover bison sports to the full extent of the law no body would be complaining about coverage that guy is killing halstrom imho

ndsubison1
08-10-2010, 03:10 AM
well if the forum was more objective towards ndsu then yes, i wouldnt mind the article... But, it's not...

SlickVic
08-10-2010, 03:18 AM
well if the forum was more objective towards ndsu then yes, i wouldnt mind the article... But, it's not...

Read the strib aka gopher territory they'll have multiple articles about other big ten teams throughout the week...same with the cleveland plain dealer columbus dispatch and centre daily times in state college...and plus its a monday did the bison even practice on sunday? Saturdays coverage was pretty good what 2 front page full articles I guess i don't see what swanys crying about

lakesbison
08-10-2010, 03:20 AM
BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL thats not true

SLICK

ndsubison1
08-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Read the strib aka gopher territory they'll have multiple articles about other big ten teams throughout the week...same with the cleveland plain dealer columbus dispatch and centre daily times in state college...and plus its a monday did the bison even practice on sunday? Saturdays coverage was pretty good what 2 front page full articles I guess i don't see what swanys crying about

Yeah but those papers actually COVER their hometown schools fairly well unlike the Forum. WHich is what i said

SlickVic
08-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Yeah but those papers actually COVER their hometown schools fairly well unlike the Forum. WHich is what i said

2 front page full articles in sundays paper I don't know what you more to expect especially since it was mondays paper not sure if they even practiced sunday and if so I wouldn't expect any articles about it

lakesbison
08-10-2010, 06:25 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/group/group/Sports/

2 stores on _ _ _ 1 about a kicker for NDSU.

People, if you know ANYONE with a subscription, have them cancel it, my god!

KC Bison
08-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I haven't lived everywhere but I"ve spent nearly 10 years in Fargo/Moornead, a number of years in St. Cloud/Minneapolis area, 5 years in the DC area, and now many years in the Kansas City area. I've seen coverages for colleges in a lot of different markets. Never have I seen a paper that carries water for an out of town DI school (when they already have an in-town D1 school) like the Fargo Forum does for the suzies. The only example of a city newspaper trumpeting an out of town school might be Omaha which has a thrill run down it's pants leg every time UN-Lincoln gets mentioned. However, they have no in-town equivalent program so that doesn't count. It seems to me that there are a number of businesses from Fargo that may need to re-examine their advertising priorities.

tony
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Out of curiosity, I looked at the online papers for Ames (Iowa State), Stillwater (Oklahoma State), and Manhattan (Kansas State.) Not much about U of Iowa, U of Oklahoma, and U of Kansas in those papers. In the Stillwater and Manhattan papers, they have KSU and OSU sports sections links right on the home page and the last time the word "Jayhawk" appeared in the Manhattan paper was May 28 and that was because K-State hammered them in baseball (stirring the pot) :)

I agree that it'd be nice to have different coverage for NDSU in the Forum, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't cover UND. The Forum gets the UND articles for free since they own the GF paper so it's not like reprinting them detracts from the Bison coverage. Plus, there are a lot of UND grads in Fargo so why not throw them a bone? It's borderline hysterical (and seems weaksauce) to get worked up about the Forum about UND coverage. IMO, the main problem is the difference between the way the Forum covers NDSU and the way the Grand Forks Herald covers UND is NIGHT and DAY. The Herald acts a cheerleader for UND. The Forum, on the other hand, seems to think that sports reporting is serious business* and that the gimlet eye of the press is all that keeps Bison fans from running amok.

Compare and Contrast:

NDSU Headline: Bohl's Job Not In Trouble (see the Forum's follow-up "Bohl Doesn't Spray Kittens With Freezing Cold Water Just To See Them Cry")
UND Headline: Sioux Much Faster
NDSU Headline: Last Year's Defense Was Awful (breaking news!)
UND Headline: Some Player Back
NDSU Headline: QB competition
UND Headline: More Depth At LB
etc.

It's pretty obvious from the headlines that Herald articles are positive (unlike the posters who get upset every time a UND article appears in the paper, I haven't been reading the articles so I'm guessing about the content). Forum articles, on the other hand, are to Bison football what mercury warnings are to seafood. For example, I bet the dreaded words "University of Sioux Falls" don't appear anywhere in the Grand Forks Herald this year. It is PAINFUL to see the contrast in tone between the UND and NDSU stories in the Forum. Overstatement Watch in effect until 10:00 AM... It's just two totally different philosophies about sports reporting. ...Overstatement Watch has been upgraded to a warning... And I prefer the way Herald covers UND sports to the way the Forum covers NDSU sports (and have I've felt that way for as long as I've been able to get compare the two papers' sports pages.)

* Rather than entertainment reporting.

backpages
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Tony: Well stated! Thanks.

buffalobob
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I think I will drop my subscription to the Forum and pick up the Bismarck Tribune. The tribune had a huge article on our MVFC Pre-season All conference picks with pictures of the young men also. The Forum had the news in one sentence hidden under some other topic. It's truly embarassing!!

The_Sicatoka
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
(see the Forum's follow-up "Bohl Doesn't Spray Kittens With Freezing Cold Water Just To See Them Cry")

C'mon tony, we all know that ... he uses boiling water. :p

Bison bison
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Here's what I don't get.

We all know within the past two years or so the Forum has completely sold out. It runs with sensational headlines and includes way too many stupid-ass articles. Their ride with Chapman and NDSU was ridiculous.

My question is if you have no journalistic integrity (which in my opinion the Forum is nearly there) why not go pro-community/pro-NDSU?

I could lie and say if the Forum would run a few NDSU related articles every day I'd resubscribe, but it ain't gonna happen.

SlickVic
08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Ya the forums written at a 3rd grade level all I'm saying is I've known that for as long as I've read that paper...it litterally takes me less than 5 minutes to skim through that paper on a good day...all I'm saying is I'm not sure what you fools are all the sudden complaining about its never not been that way...I quit reading kolpack coumns years ago as they are so blah blah blah unless its some earth shattering news that fool is about as bland is it gets srsly have you ever heard him on the radio I mean it doesn't matter what he's talking about I shut it off...kevin shremfs another story he does a great job I'm not sure what his deal is but when he was covering bison basketball that year they danced I looked forward to reading what he had to say...like I said earlier if shcremf wrote 2 or 3 columns a week about bison sports I don't think anybody would be complaining...its not so much lack of coverage but just garbage coverage as far as I'm concerned

tony
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Thank the football gods that we have Bison Illustrated!

TheDoctor
08-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Click on that link right now and the first headline article is about Elk hunting and the next two are about UND football. Seriously? How do you find enough material to write TWO articles about UND football? Not to mention feature them as your #2 and #3 articles. ;)

NorthernBison
08-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Click on that link right now and the first headline article is about Elk hunting and the next two are about UND football. Seriously? How do you find enough material to write TWO articles about UND football? Not to mention feature them as your #2 and #3 articles. ;)

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but both articles were written by Grand Forks Herald Reporters and I'm pretty sure I saw both in the printed edition of The Herald. Why wouldn't the Forum link to articles generated by other newspapers they own?

BTW, all of us clicking on those stories ensures that Forum staff will see that people are really interested in Fighting Sioux football stories.

TheDoctor
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Sorry if this is stating the obvious but both articles were written by Grand Forks Herald Reporters and I'm pretty sure I saw both in the printed edition of The Herald. Why wouldn't the Forum link to articles generated by other newspapers they own?

BTW, all of us clicking on those stories ensures that Forum staff will see that people are really interested in Fighting Sioux football stories.

A. I didn't click on either article.
B. Why wouldn't they? I guess they would, under the category UND to the right, NOT as a feature articles when I click on the sports section of their online paper. If I was from out of town, I would easily assume today that UND was located in Fargo. ;)

BlueBisonRock
08-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Good point. Proposed resolution: Click the link and click on story eight. Clear your cookies and repeat. Then a Bison story will see a high click rate in line with those who visit the sports section.

NorthernBison
08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
A. I didn't click on either article.
B. Why wouldn't they? I guess they would, under the category UND to the right, NOT as a feature articles when I click on the sports section of their online paper. If I was from out of town, I would easily assume today that UND was located in Fargo. ;)

Good points.
Apparently the Reporters in Grand forks have a lot more on the ball than the people in Fargo. Unless there is a conspiracy and the Fargo reporters are prohibited from writing about NDSU (which has been implied by some posters).

Oh man, you really don't want to click on the sports section of the GF Herald website. There are a BUNCH of UND stories. Zero NDSU. I just did it. Night and day guys, night and day.

TheDoctor
08-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Oh man, you really don't want to click on the sports section of the GF Herald website. There are a BUNCH of UND stories. Zero NDSU. I just did it. Night and day guys, night and day.

I figured as much. ;)

HerdBot
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I figured as much. ;)

Like I said before the forum only cares about their profits and writers are puppets.

HerdBot
08-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I figured as much. ;)

I just called and cancelled and gave them my reason. I encourage others to do the same. 235-7311

TheDoctor
08-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I just called and cancelled and gave them my reason. I encourage others to do the same. 235-7311

Very impressive! Actions speak louder than words! Props to you! ;)

aces1180
08-10-2010, 08:35 PM

What did they say to you? Just curious.

Bisonguy
08-10-2010, 08:41 PM

You'll probably be getting offers for $35/yr daily subscriptions soon.

DjKyRo
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Good points.
Apparently the Reporters in Grand forks have a lot more on the ball than the people in Fargo. Unless there is a conspiracy and the Fargo reporters are prohibited from writing about NDSU (which has been implied by some posters).

Maybe I'm missing the point but is it strange for the GF Herald to have news about the local college and not it's rival? Isn't that exactly what we want the Fargo Forum to do here?

lakesbison
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
ok i got it figured out. the only people actually paying for the forum are "those" 500 fans that actually care up there as opposed to the 50 fans that are not feeling ALIENATED by the forum down here,'

HerdBot
08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
What did they say to you? Just curious.

Offered me a better rate and asked why. The lady didn't really seem to care. Typical of forum employees because they are disengaged and don't care about their job. That's what you get when you pay the same as a fast food joint.

OldBison
08-11-2010, 02:42 AM

This may come as a shock to some, but UND is probably a better football team right now, and I am dead serious. Do you really think that Mussman has been as shitty a recruiter than Bohl? :hide:

I for one am glad we aren't playing them this year or last, I think Bohl and Taylor are also, that's why they purposefully avoided scheduling them this year when both had the same open date.

I'm not defending the Forum, it sucks, but UND football is probably a better sport to cover. My guess is they will win more games than NDSU.:hide:

lakesbison
08-11-2010, 03:00 AM
God you are dumbass.

Yea. we lose to NAIA teams. and Have recruit battles with UM Crookston.

bisonmike2
08-11-2010, 03:10 AM
This may come as a shock to some, but UND is probably a better football team right now, and I am dead serious. Do you really think that Mussman has been as shitty a recruiter than Bohl? :hide:

I for one am glad we aren't playing them this year or last, I think Bohl and Taylor are also, that's why they purposefully avoided scheduling them this year when both had the same open date.

I'm not defending the Forum, it sucks, but UND football is probably a better sport to cover. My guess is they will win more games than NDSU.:hide:

I think you just locked down the preposterous statement title and we still have over 4 months to go.

Bison bison
08-11-2010, 03:26 AM

You are completely off your a$$.

NDSU has been horrible the past two years while in 2009 UND was embarrassing. They nearly lost to Southern Oregon for cripes sakes.

NDSU is a stronger program top to bottom, although it needs to start performing on the field. UND has short-changed its football program during the transition and it shows.

TheBisonator
08-11-2010, 03:49 AM

I have to seriously control myself from giving this post a red ruby.

DjKyRo
08-11-2010, 03:51 AM
I will bet my life that NDSU would beat UND. Straight up. IF you're trying to say GWFC = MVFC then you're on crack (which would be the precipice for saying UND has more wins than NDSU this year).

BlueBisonRock
08-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Its been used before but it seems so appropriate as a response . . . .

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this <chat>room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
--- Billy Madison

bisonpride4ever
08-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Its been used before but it seems so appropriate as a response . . . .

what he said

NorthernBison
08-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Holy Crap!!!!

Somebody just derailed a thread without really getting too far off topic.

HerdBot
08-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Here's a question...

Why does the Forum give UND it's own heading under sports but the Herald doesn't give NDSU it's own heading?

lakesbison
08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
cuz the forum is an absolute JOKE, someone has a boner for them, its obvious. keep doing it and watching your business slide, you'd think they'd wake up and realize it, but alas, they havent and the mercils' must be und guys, i know 1 of the mercil brothers is die hard und.

DjKyRo
08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287535/group/Sports/ :blush:

bisonmike2
08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287535/group/Sports/ :blush:

One headline considered by the forum.

Sioux Picked to Finish Fifth in Great West; NDSU Picked to Finish Sixth in MVFC.

WRSDBison
08-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Ya the forums written at a 3rd grade level all I'm saying is I've known that for as long as I've read that paper...it litterally takes me less than 5 minutes to skim through that paper on a good day...all I'm saying is I'm not sure what you fools are all the sudden complaining about its never not been that way...I quit reading kolpack coumns years ago as they are so blah blah blah unless its some earth shattering news that fool is about as bland is it gets srsly have you ever heard him on the radio I mean it doesn't matter what he's talking about I shut it off...kevin shremfs another story he does a great job I'm not sure what his deal is but when he was covering bison basketball that year they danced I looked forward to reading what he had to say...like I said earlier if shcremf wrote 2 or 3 columns a week about bison sports I don't think anybody would be complaining...its not so much lack of coverage but just garbage coverage as far as I'm concerned

Weird, that's how long it usually takes me to read one of your posts. Punctuation is a good thing.

TheBisonator
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Weird, that's how long it usually takes me to read one of your posts. Punctuation is a good thing.

Yeah, I hear ya. Whenever Slick posts an incoherent brick paragraph, I usually just skip over it...

BlueBisonRock
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. Whenever Slick posts an incoherent brick paragraph, I usually just skip over it...

I can't agree guys. I have found many a gem by translating his posts.

tony
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Slick's writing is like that of James Joyce combined with Henry Miller with a dash of Walt Whitman and a sprinkle of Alistair Graham.

There, I said it.

silkamilkamonico
08-12-2010, 06:50 PM

You are either one of the most football ignorant posters on this board, or indeed a Sioux fan.

bisonpride4ever
08-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Some of Slick's posts are like cracking a code or solving a puzzle. It sometimes can take awhile but once you do, man, you feel good....or confused. Depends on what he has to say that day.

OrygunBison
08-12-2010, 07:06 PM
"You are either one of the most football ignorant posters on this board, or indeed a Sioux fan."

Thanks for beating me to the punch.

bisonpride4ever
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
The Foolum doesn't care what's in the paper. As long as you CTC, as Rasheed Wallace liked to say, they will print anything in that cage liner they have. The paper is such a trainwreck. To think, back in the day I was a Foolum Carrier of the Month twice!

tony
08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
You are either one of the most football ignorant posters on this board, or indeed a Sioux fan.

Or, he was trying to fire up the troops.

Saying UND is better at recruiting? If that was the case, then how come when UND and NDSU have both gone after the same kid, NDSU has signed them 90% of the time? Heck, it's actually probably even a higher percentage.

OTOH, if somebody wanted to say Stig's staff is better at recruiting, who could argue? Maybe in a couple years we'll have something to say but not now.

bisonmike2
08-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Or, he was trying to fire up the troops.

Saying UND is better at recruiting? If that was the case, then how come when UND and NDSU have both gone after the same kid, NDSU has signed them 90% of the time? Heck, it's actually probably even a higher percentage.

OTOH, if somebody wanted to say Stig's staff is better at recruiting, who could argue? Maybe in a couple years we'll have something to say but not now.

That's easy. UND identifies a weaker recruit, fakes interest in them to trick NDSU to go after them, then they are allowed to get the better recruit without much interference.

BlueBisonRock
08-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Is there a difference between the two?

:hide:

WRSDBison
08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Since this thread already spiraled out of control once, I'll make it a second time. I just realized that Lennon has a victory over the current head coach at Notre Dame. I believe Brian Kelly was the coach at Grand Valley State when the Sue beat them in the 2001 title game.

Who would be coach Bohl's biggest victory? Butch Jones? Punky Brewster? Am I missing anyone else?

Superfan
08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Slick's writing is like that of James Joyce combined with Henry Miller with a dash of Walt Whitman and a sprinkle of Alistair Graham.

There, I said it.

And a hint of Flava Falv.

PS. I will shamefully admit the only name I didn't have to google* was Walt Whitman.

*I did anyways just to make sure I knew who he was.**
**I was wrong.

SlickVic
08-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Since this thread already spiraled out of control once, I'll make it a second time. I just realized that Lennon has a victory over the current head coach at Notre Dame. I believe Brian Kelly was the coach at Grand Valley State when the Sue beat them in the 2001 title game.

Who would be coach Bohl's biggest victory? Butch Jones? Punky Brewster? Am I missing anyone else?

when was the last time a victory over notre dames head coach has ment anything meaningful or ben anything close to what would be considered an accomplishmnt? Ned devine or nute rockne? Srsly prolly lou holtz in the 80s...bottom line iterestring tidbid but not relevent in any way whatsoever espeically considering kelly hasn't coached a game at notre dame

WRSDBison
08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
when was the last time a victory over notre dames head coach has ment anything meaningful or ben anything close to what would be considered an accomplishmnt? Ned devine or nute rockne? Srsly prolly lou holtz in the 80s...bottom line iterestring tidbid but not relevent in any way whatsoever espeically considering kelly hasn't coached a game at notre dame

who the hell is Ned Devine?

And yeah, State Penn is way better. I didn't know dead men could coach. I think they have a Weekend at Bernie's type thing going on there. He really is dead they just keep moving him around with strings. He was a great coach, but he needs to hang it up.

Tatanka
08-13-2010, 08:43 PM

And yeah, State Penn is way better. I didn't know dead men could coach. I think they have a Weekend at Bernie's type thing going on there. He really is dead they just keep moving him around with strings. He was a great coach, but he needs to hang it up.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/coolum74/Hindenberg.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/seattleraven/icons/Ohshit.png

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/malvafors/gif/27zktwkjpg.gif

steelbison
08-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I will bet my life that NDSU would beat UND. Straight up. IF you're trying to say GWFC = MVFC then you're on crack (which would be the precipice for saying UND has more wins than NDSU this year).

This..you beat me to the punch. OldBison, did you suffer a minor stroke or something? Seriously you need to go to the ER right away and get that checked out.

siouxdgj
08-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Dan Devine, a college hall of fame coach, led Notre Dame to a national championship in the 1970s. Devine, by the way,is a native of Augusta, Wisconsin, grew up in Proctor, Minnesota, captained both football and basketball squads at the University of Minnesota-Duluth and then went on to a stellar college coaching career as head coach at Arizona and Missouri before being named to coach the Green Bay Packers in the NFL. After Green Bay, Devine returned to college coaching at Notre Dame. While the head coach at Missouri in 1969, Devine coached the Tigers to victories over Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska and Oklahoma. When was the last time a single team defeated those teams all in one season? That 1969 Missouri team defeated a Bo Schembechler Michigan team 40-17 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, very likely Schembechler's worst home loss ever.

THEsocalledfan
08-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Dan Devine, a college hall of fame coach, led Notre Dame to a national championship in the 1970s. Devine, by the way,is a native of Augusta, Wisconsin, grew up in Proctor, Minnesota, captained both football and basketball squads at the University of Minnesota-Duluth and then went on to a stellar college coaching career as head coach at Arizona and Missouri before being named to coach the Green Bay Packers in the NFL. After Green Bay, Devine returned to college coaching at Notre Dame. While the head coach at Missouri in 1969, Devine coached the Tigers to victories over Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska and Oklahoma. When was the last time a single team defeated those teams all in one season? That 1969 Missouri team defeated a Bo Schembechler Michigan team 40-17 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, very likely Schembechler's worst home loss ever.

Isn't he the one who had his dog shot by Packer fans? Once again proof that drunken sconies are even bigger morons than our neighbors to the North....

WRSDBison
08-13-2010, 09:50 PM

I know who Dan Devine is. I'm wondering who Ned Devine is. That's what slickvic typed.

siouxdgj
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Isn't he the one who had his dog shot by Packer fans? Once again proof that drunken sconies are even bigger morons than our neighbors to the North....

I do believe you're right. It wasn't easy for Phil Bengtson and Dan Devine to attempt to follow Vince Lombardi in Packerland.

siouxdgj
08-13-2010, 09:58 PM
I know who Dan Devine is. I'm wondering who Ned Devine is. That's what slickvic typed.

You've got me there as well, WRSDBison. I'm not sure who Ned Devine is either.

DjKyRo
08-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Off topic considering the subject material but there was a pretty funny couple of reactions about John Austin's quote from the Forum this morning (regarding Q98 beating out Y94 in the ratings for the #1 FM spot [woot!]):

“You can’t tell me (the hard-rock band) Disturbed is more popular than (pop star) Lady Gaga. I refuse to believe that,” he said with a laugh. Instead, he chalked one station’s rise and another’s fall to “the ebb and flow” of the listening trends and Arbitron’s polling operation.

Apparently one can tell him that.

IzzyFlexion
08-14-2010, 12:38 PM

http://www.impawards.com/1998/posters/waking_ned_devine.jpg

WYOBISONMAN
08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
You've got me there as well, WRSDBison. I'm not sure who Ned Devine is either.

Ned Devine..... Information here (One hell of a funny movie).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_Ned

Bison"FANatic"
08-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey I will give the Forum crap when they are not covering the Bison but I also have to give props for the coverage here lately. Nice article on Leevon and others and then a update each day on a different MVFC member. They looked like a Fargo paper should with the Bison coverage lately.

KEEP IT UP FORUM!!!!!!!!!

(Maybe even buy some of the stories Bison Illustrated has written and publish them as they have raised the bar on written Bison stories in the Fargo area)

lakesbison
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
That's cuz its game week. Cpt obvious

ndsubison1
08-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey I will give the Forum crap when they are not covering the Bison but I also have to give props for the coverage here lately. Nice article on Leevon and others and then a update each day on a different MVFC member. They looked like a Fargo paper should with the Bison coverage lately.

KEEP IT UP FORUM!!!!!!!!!

(Maybe even buy some of the stories Bison Illustrated has written and publish them as they have raised the bar on written Bison stories in the Fargo area)

i agree with this. hopefully they will continue this

Mr. Burgundy
08-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Kolpack is really good. Wish they would either allow him to do more or get someone else to help him. I don't see either happening soon.

SlickVic
08-30-2010, 02:08 AM
that new hs sports reporter ryan smith writes at an elementry level...he all fit right in with kolpack...i honestly dont know what to expect from a small town newspaper i read the new york times but the fargo forum is not worth reading straight up its nothing but a waste of time...other than detlef schrempf bison columns the last good story in that paper was the article on andre as a senior tribute

SlickVic
08-30-2010, 02:22 AM
ps pennicks article as a senior was pretty good to...pps that article on perry was worth reading although nothing new mr. burgandy blogged about that stuff 6 months ago...i dunno im a horse of a different color i guess i just get next to nothing out of that paper the sports section in particular its become a chore to read and im done with it

ndsubison1
08-30-2010, 04:01 AM
that new hs sports reporter ryan smith writes at an elementry level...he all fit right in with kolpack...i honestly dont know what to expect from a small town newspaper i read the new york times but the fargo forum is not worth reading straight up its nothing but a waste of time...other than detlef schrempf bison columns the last good story in that paper was the article on andre as a senior tribute

luc longley. insert random nba player here __________

bisonfan11
09-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Well with the Sioux's game with Idaho coming up tomorrow evening the Fourm had a nice article about UND's football season outlook, an article on the QB depth, and a big article on UND's opponunt Idaho. NDSU is playing a Kansas on Saturday and yet there has been a couple of little articles on NDSU and their higher profile opponunt Kansas. Really does NDSU have no news to print in the sports section of the Forum. Why doesn't the Forum have a huge article on the QB derby between Jose Mohler and Brock Jensen. Get a more in-depth look at the pros and cons of both quarterbacks and which QB is the best QB for now and into the future. I don't think that it is that hard to find and write some interesting stories on NDSU football. If the QB competion is not that news worthy, then what about focusing on Coach Bohl and if he is the right coach for NDSU. The way the F/M Forum does their coverage of both NDSU and UND is pretty embrassing. I agree that some coverage should be done for UND but UND should not get equal or sometimes more coverage than NDSU. Yes some alumni's live in Fargo, but the NDSU Bison play in Fargo, so any hometown media should get on board with supporting the Bison. Could you imagine the sports section of the Star Tribune having just as much if not more coverage of the Green Bay Packers than the Minnesota Vikings?? Or the Trib covering the Hawkeyes just as much as the Golden Gophers. My point is that the Forum should cover NDSU more than UND, given the Bison play football in FARGO.

HerdBot
09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Well with the Sioux's game with Idaho coming up tomorrow evening the Fourm had a nice article about UND's football season outlook, an article on the QB depth, and a big article on UND's opponunt Idaho. NDSU is playing a Kansas on Saturday and yet there has been a couple of little articles on NDSU and their higher profile opponunt Kansas. Really does NDSU have no news to print in the sports section of the Forum. Why doesn't the Forum have a huge article on the QB derby between Jose Mohler and Brock Jensen. Get a more in-depth look at the pros and cons of both quarterbacks and which QB is the best QB for now and into the future. I don't think that it is that hard to find and write some interesting stories on NDSU football. If the QB competion is not that news worthy, then what about focusing on Coach Bohl and if he is the right coach for NDSU. The way the F/M Forum does their coverage of both NDSU and UND is pretty embrassing. I agree that some coverage should be done for UND but UND should not get equal or sometimes more coverage than NDSU. Yes some alumni's live in Fargo, but the NDSU Bison play in Fargo, so any hometown media should get on board with supporting the Bison. Could you imagine the sports section of the Star Tribune having just as much if not more coverage of the Green Bay Packers than the Minnesota Vikings?? Or the Trib covering the Hawkeyes just as much as the Golden Gophers. My point is that the Forum should cover NDSU more than UND, given the Bison play football in FARGO.

Very true. A better example. Would ann arbor michigan give equal coverage Michigan State over the Wolverines. Never in a million years. How about montana state in montanas paper. Laughable.

NDSUstudent
09-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I like Kolpack but he is about the only person I read. The sports section has gone downhill quickly post McFeely. It is just getting worse now that the Forum feels jilted by NDSU. This is an NDSU city and I won't buy the paper until the sports section damn well matches up with that viewpoint. In the meantime I'll be listing to plenty of the FAN and even KFGO(But not Joel H).

rdh701
09-02-2010, 01:19 AM
I like Kolpack but he is about the only person I read. The sports section has gone downhill quickly post McFeely. It is just getting worse now that the Forum feels jilted by NDSU. This is an NDSU city and I won't buy the paper until the sports section damn well matches up with that viewpoint. In the meantime I'll be listing to plenty of the FAN and even KFGO(But not Joel H).
I am right there with you!!!

Mr. Burgundy
09-02-2010, 02:26 AM
I really with they would allow Kolpack to cover the Bison the way he wants to cover the Bison. They are so dead set on equal coverage. I suggest emailing Von Pinnion the editor and asking him about the coverage. Post his response on here if you guys want. The Forum is playing the petty game of NDSU took away the radio rights....and now they are going to try to shove UND down the Fargo throats.

Also, you can be prepared for NO "Gameday" section that was so successful on gameday for the Forum. Another great decision by the Forum.

SlickVic
09-02-2010, 03:13 AM
I really with they would allow Kolpack to cover the Bison the way he wants to cover the Bison. They are so dead set on equal coverage. I suggest emailing Von Pinnion the editor and asking him about the coverage. Post his response on here if you guys want. The Forum is playing the petty game of NDSU took away the radio rights....and now they are going to try to shove UND down the Fargo throats.

Also, you can be prepared for NO "Gameday" section that was so successful on gameday for the Forum. Another great decision by the Forum.

so what your saying is kolpacks hands are "tied" when it comes to covering ndsu? im sorry i dont buy that his articles are and always have been sub par...that fool from bison illistraded who posts his articles here all of the time wrote a much better piece on reed doocher than kolpack did for example and im not sure if swanny even gets paid to print those...kolpacks been there for ever ive read and still read his articles listen to him here and there on the radio theres no way hes being told what to do aka i dont get the impression that hes some kind of a puppet like your making him out to be he obviously has some sort of freedom towards the articles he writes they just arnt that great in my opinion...i obviously dont know him personally like some of you fools on here may but ive been under the impression that hes just another burnt out sportswriter whose happy to have a job

Grizzled
09-02-2010, 03:16 AM
But we got on KFGO. This doesn't suprise me one bit. I'd take solid print coverage over radio coverage but thats just me. Finding a way to listen to a game is easy, getting print coverage in a town with one newspaper is obviously difficult. Bottom line is not covering the team is easy now. When we start winning again the forum will have to increase coverage as interest will start rising again.

99Bison
09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
If anyone thinks virtually all of today's "media" sources are trying to be "fair" or unbiased you are way off base. Especially the local types.

If you actually are able to put them on the spot they will not disagree as there is nothing left to hide behind.

"Fair and equal" was one day the calling card of media, but not anymore. It has turned into desperate agreements, smash and grab, all for short term ability to stay afloat.

ndsubison1
09-02-2010, 03:58 AM
so what your saying is kolpacks hands are "tied" when it comes to covering ndsu? im sorry i dont buy that his articles are and always have been sub par...that fool from bison illistraded who posts his articles here all of the time wrote a much better piece on reed doocher than kolpack did for example and im not sure if swanny even gets paid to print those...kolpacks been there for ever ive read and still read his articles listen to him here and there on the radio theres no way hes being told what to do aka i dont get the impression that hes some kind of a puppet like your making him out to be he obviously has some sort of freedom towards the articles he writes they just arnt that great in my opinion...i obviously dont know him personally like some of you fools on here may but ive been under the impression that hes just another burnt out sportswriter whose happy to have a job

i would be surprised if the forum editors gave kolpack total freedom to write whatever he wants

Tatanka
09-02-2010, 04:03 AM
i would be surprised if the forum editors gave kolpack total freedom to write whatever he wants

I would be even more surprised if they even bothered to read what he writes. If they did they might find the logic, spelling, and grammar errors.

lakesbison
09-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Post his response on here if you guys want.

Von pinnnnon doesnt reply, none of them do.

SDbison
09-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Amen Slick.
I have tried to appreciate Kolpacks articles, but compared to Terry V. who is covering SDSU Kolpack's articles lack substance and are very shallow. I read the article today and it seems like just when I think Kolpack is going to develop a point or really get down to some good info the article ends. His articles are usually short and at least half the stuff he talks about is already common knowledge. There is no in depth personal info or statistical tidbits to make one think. The Forum really sucks and I will NEVER buy a paper again. I used to always buy a Sat / Sun paper every weekend I was up there for games. Counting basketball that is about 20 sales they won't get.

Herd
09-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Hey I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me, but TV brings passion and energy to the equation for the Argus. I don't feel much energy, passon or love from the Forum. Most of the time, it's like reading fact pieces, instead of real in-depth stories with energy. You've got to put it on the line when your writing sports and grab people.

While I have no training in journalism, if I could get a full time job writing and blogging NDSU sports, I'd pour myself into it and give it 100%. That seems to be lacking. The town of Fargo needs a young journalist to commit to the Bison. Hey I appreciate what we get from Jeff who probably wears multiple hats, but it's not at the TV level.

Tatanka
09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me, but TV brings passion and energy to the equation for the Argus. I don't feel much energy, passon or love from the Forum. Most of the time, it's like reading fact pieces, instead of real in-depth stories with energy. You've got to put it on the line when your writing sports and grab people.

While I have no training in journalism, if I could get a full time job writing and blogging NDSU sports, I'd pour myself into it and give it 100%. That seems to be lacking. The town of Fargo needs a young journalist to commit to the Bison. Hey I appreciate what we get from Jeff who probably wears multiple hats, but it's not at the TV level.

Hell, the energy and drive is not even at the Droopy Dog level.

GradBison
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
The differences in use of social media b/w forum and argus are also glaring. TV uses twitter very effectively, there are at least half a dozen tweets from him every day. In addition to his articles there's also daily blog posts from him.

Yesterday, TV freaking blogged the MVFC conference call while at the hospital his wife was giving birth at! He got it up on his blog a few hours before it went up on the Bison media blog.

Bison"FANatic"
09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
The differences in use of social media b/w forum and argus are also glaring. TV uses twitter very effectively, there are at least half a dozen tweets from him every day. In addition to his articles there's also daily blog posts from him.

Yesterday, TV freaking blogged the MVFC conference call while at the hospital his wife was giving birth at! He got it up on his blog a few hours before it went up on the Bison media blog.

Luckily they stopped the contractions for TV as the twins are only at 24 weeks. Now it is kind of crazy and above and beyond to be blogging and tweeting when your wife is in the hospital because she just went into labor the day before, 16 weeks early. He is a asset to the Argus!!!!!!

tony
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Luckily they stopped the contractions for TV as the twins are only at 24 weeks. Now it is kind of crazy and above and beyond to be blogging and tweeting when your wife is in the hospital because she just went into labor the day before, 16 weeks early. He is a asset to the Argus!!!!!!

Wow. Good luck to the Vs.

As for Forum Comm. I'm not sure what to think but it sure seems like they only hire hockey guys. Maybe they are hoping they'll have kids with each other so that South, Davies, and Shanley will all be able to field teams. Or based on their content, maybe they are just going to fold the Herald into the Forum and have one paper for both Grand Forks and Fargo. The Grand Fargox Forald.

Minneapolis Jack
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM

And to think, the Argus hired Terry away from the Forum.

The feeling I've gotten from piecing some things together is that The Forum might not get along with Coach Bohl all to well. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

I know that Terry V had commented in a live blog that he had multiple dealings with Bohl while working at the Forum but yet every time he saw Coach, Bohl would act like they've never met an not know his name.

I also noticed that the bisonmedia blog had a post on how there is a closed practice and Kolpack seemed to be hinting that it was unnecessary and that Coach should trust him more. Not to mention both writers put the Bison at 4-8 on the year which is even lower than I figured they would be. Seems to be a little hostility there or am I just reading in to this too much.

What's funny is that you will never be able to please everybody. Just yesterday a fan on sdsufans.com was blasting TV for not doing enough and providing poor coverage.

1 more tidbit before closing, SDSU has a local writer who has done a good job covering the Jacks this year. Probably similar to the Bison Illustrated writers but not quite on that level yet. He has provided multiple videos everyday of SDSU fall camp. hartleyshuddle.wordpress.com if you want to check it out.

lakesbison
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Coach doesnt need to recognize other teams media jackals. i like that.

Minneapolis Jack
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Coach doesnt need to recognize other teams media jackals. i like that.

It was for when he worked at the Forum and hadn't moved to Sioux Falls yet.

lakesbison
09-02-2010, 03:33 PM
well he dont like N E R D S . and TV is one.

BlueBisonRock
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM

1 more tidbit before closing, SDSU has a local writer who has done a good job covering the Jacks this year. Probably similar to the Bison Illustrated writers but not quite on that level yet. He has provided multiple videos everyday of SDSU fall camp. hartleyshuddle.wordpress.com if you want to check it out.

Thanks for the reference. Nick has posted on Bisonville a number of times. I appreciate his perspective and his knowledge. Just as Bisonville is fortunate to have Bison Illustrated to get additional details about the Bison, SDSU is fortunate to get the details behind the scene from Nick.

I'd say a bit more, but do not want the writers from the Forum to feel even worse about the job they aren't doing for their local team.

KilldeerBison
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

The feeling I've gotten from piecing some things together is that The Forum might not get along with Coach Bohl all to well. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

I know that Terry V had commented in a live blog that he had multiple dealings with Bohl while working at the Forum but yet every time he saw Coach, Bohl would act like they've never met an not know his name.

I also noticed that the bisonmedia blog had a post on how there is a closed practice and Kolpack seemed to be hinting that it was unnecessary and that Coach should trust him more. Not to mention both writers put the Bison at 4-8 on the year which is even lower than I figured they would be. Seems to be a little hostility there or am I just reading in to this too much.

What's funny is that you will never be able to please everybody. Just yesterday a fan on sdsufans.com was blasting TV for not doing enough and providing poor coverage.

The Bison Illustrated is the real deal, better than the Forum, not even close.

SDSUAlum08
09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
well he dont like N E R D S . and TV is one.

I appreciate that "NERD" and what he does for the JACKS. I also know that NDSU would be more than happy to have him because he does a great job!

Mr. Burgundy
09-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I appreciate that "NERD" and what he does for the JACKS. I also know that NDSU would be more than happy to have him because he does a great job!

Now you are over here bragging about your beat writer? WOW. Best of luck to the TV family!!

lakesbison
09-02-2010, 07:50 PM

and again the BULLL____ continues. top page of sports.

LETS START THE BOYCOTT PEOPLE.

I got plenty of business contacts in fargo, should we get a list of emails and email the businesses while CC'in MATT Von PINhead?

onbison09
09-02-2010, 07:55 PM

I got plenty of business contacts in fargo, should we get a list of emails and email the businesses while CC'in MATT Von PINhead?
I tend to agree with some of the stuff said about the Forum but do you honestly think they aren't going to promote their radio station?

Capn_Cat
09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Jeez, wasting paper on SIU when they could be talking about the glory of UNI.

Shame.

:(

OldBison
09-02-2010, 09:17 PM

What do you expect? You take the Bison away from Bill's WDAY and he is going to retaliate and shove the Sioux down our throat. This was entirely predictable and I am sure several on here did that when NDSU awarded KFGO the radio contract.:banghead: :banghead:

lakesbison
09-02-2010, 09:38 PM
well, make BILL MARCIL pay the ultimate price then.. boycott him and his paper.

THEsocalledfan
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
well, make BILL MARCIL pay the ultimate price then.

Lakes, I love you and all, but some would equate that statement into a very serious threat on someone's life. I know that is not what you intended, but please try to strive for a better choice in words.

lakesbison
09-02-2010, 09:47 PM
haha.. ok. ill edit.

bisonfan11
09-02-2010, 10:00 PM
The big issue is that Forum Communications owns both the newspaper and WDAY as well. However on the newspaper side of things I still cannot understand why it seems that Bison coverage has been shinking over the years. I am more PO'ed because this has been going on EVEN when NDSU had a contract with 970 WDAY. Even when the Bison were going 10-1 in back to back seasons, the Forum still had a man-crush on all things UND even though UND was A DII SCHOOL at the time. I could care less if most (if not all) printed material came from the Grand Forks Herald. Look did the Forum cover UM-Duluth games, even when UMD won a DII championship. Not really. I mean does the Forum cover Alexandria, MN high school sports even though the Forum owns the Echo Press (Alexandria's newspaper)? No. It seems like the Forum would rather not cover NDSU at all. I don't care that the Forum has done a team capsule for every other team in the MVFC. What scouting has the Forum done on NDSU. Bison Illustrated is a nice start, but for my money I'd like to see it expand in coverage, and offer commentary (like the commentary Mike McFeely did for the Forum). It is stupid and absurd to think that we all care so deeply for the Sioux (who can't beat DI teams period). NDSU football is played here in Fargo, so all local media should get on the ball and cover NDSU win or lose. Look for any Sioux fans on this site, UND is not going to have a great season this year. The reason for the bearly over .500 records is that UND could beat teams that were in a lower division than them (DII and NAIA schools, except for Sioux Falls University), and when they would play LEGITIMATE DI schools they would lose. So it is not like UND is any better than the Bison right now anyway. Again if the Forum can't cover the Bison we need more printed media outlets to do justice for our football team. I am getting sick and tired of NDSU getting no respect. Heck even the Golden Goofers get more respect from both the Pioneer Press and Star Trib, than the Bison do from their own LOCAL paper. It is sad and disgusting...

lakesbison
09-03-2010, 04:54 AM
11:53pm

www.inforum.com

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the UND 45-0 loss.

it was over at 11pm, and most games have updates on their homepage, funny huh....

coldspot
09-03-2010, 05:00 AM

www.inforum.com

it was over at 11pm, and most games have updates on their homepage, funny huh....

from el forko grandes finest newspaper

UND football: Vandalized (http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/174306/)

Scooter1
09-03-2010, 05:49 AM

www.inforum.com

It is now posted on line in the forum....have a beer.

Bison Dan
09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Sad - only 1 article on the beat down in Idaho.

RedRiver
09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
The big issue is that Forum Communications owns both the newspaper and WDAY as well. However on the newspaper side of things I still cannot understand why it seems that Bison coverage has been shinking over the years. I am more PO'ed because this has been going on EVEN when NDSU had a contract with 970 WDAY. Even when the Bison were going 10-1 in back to back seasons, the Forum still had a man-crush on all things UND even though UND was A DII SCHOOL at the time. I could care less if most (if not all) printed material came from the Grand Forks Herald. Look did the Forum cover UM-Duluth games, even when UMD won a DII championship. Not really. I mean does the Forum cover Alexandria, MN high school sports even though the Forum owns the Echo Press (Alexandria's newspaper)? No. It seems like the Forum would rather not cover NDSU at all. I don't care that the Forum has done a team capsule for every other team in the MVFC. What scouting has the Forum done on NDSU. Bison Illustrated is a nice start, but for my money I'd like to see it expand in coverage, and offer commentary (like the commentary Mike McFeely did for the Forum). It is stupid and absurd to think that we all care so deeply for the Sioux (who can't beat DI teams period). NDSU football is played here in Fargo, so all local media should get on the ball and cover NDSU win or lose. Look for any Sioux fans on this site, UND is not going to have a great season this year. The reason for the bearly over .500 records is that UND could beat teams that were in a lower division than them (DII and NAIA schools, except for Sioux Falls University), and when they would play LEGITIMATE DI schools they would lose. So it is not like UND is any better than the Bison right now anyway. Again if the Forum can't cover the Bison we need more printed media outlets to do justice for our football team. I am getting sick and tired of NDSU getting no respect. Heck even the Golden Goofers get more respect from both the Pioneer Press and Star Trib, than the Bison do from their own LOCAL paper. It is sad and disgusting...

Email your opinions to the Forum managment.

Matthew Von Pinnon, Editor
mvonpinnon@forumcomm.com

Kevin Schnepf, Sports Editor
kschnepf@forumcomm.com

stevdock
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Wasn't even today's article a repeat off of someone's blog or something like that??

Bison"FANatic"
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM

Hey I just saw a tweet from TV, I wish him the best and hope everything works out well.

TV's Tweet
"The Vandrovec girls (Breley and Kailey) were born at 2 AM, just after hitting the 24-week mark. They weigh 1 lb, 6 oz + are stable for now."

onbison09
09-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey I just saw a tweet from TV, I wish him the best and hope everything works out well.

TV's Tweet
"The Vandrovec girls (Breley and Kailey) were born at 2 AM, just after hitting the 24-week mark. They weigh 1 lb, 6 oz + are stable for now."

Wow. Prayers to them. I thought I was small at 3 lbs 6 oz. Man that's gotta be tough.

tony
09-03-2010, 02:13 PM

TV's Tweet

Good luck to the Vandrovec family. Beat the odds, girls!

siouxdgj
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Good luck to the Vandrovec family. Beat the odds, girls!

Amen to the above.

Kermit
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm more disappointed with the preseason coverage of the Bison by KFGO/the Fan than I am with the Forum. Afterall, KFGO got the contract. The Bison don't even rate the same attention as the Redhawks (?!?*) on their website.

KC Bison
09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
It must have been one tough story for the Forum to write today about their might Sue. Of course, Idaho must be much better than Texas Tech so that would explain the crushing defeat. It was those darn turnovers that cost them the game. Of course, those 547 yards they gave up may have played a little role in the loss. Gee, maybe the Suzies haven't arrived yet. :nod: :nod: :nod:

bisonfan11
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
It must have been one tough story for the Forum to write today about their might Sue. Of course, Idaho must be much better than Texas Tech so that would explain the crushing defeat. It was those darn turnovers that cost them the game. Of course, those 547 yards they gave up may have played a little role in the loss. Gee, maybe the Suzies haven't arrived yet. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Don't tell the Forum this but when the Suzies lost to NAIA Sioux Falls University that is when it was official they haven't arrived. Plus how many DI victories does UND have (not counting 2 wins against USD)?

HerdBot
09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I didn't get the paper today. How does the coverage look? Do they have a "game day" section? I only saw 2 articles on in forum.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2010, 01:34 PM
It doesn't look different than the last few days paper did. Just a article on Ty Beckius. It is not even close to the past gamedays. I wouldn't say a total fail but a good 3/4 fail. I guess that is what you get when you snub them for the radio contract, they are taking their poor little ball and going home whining. The person I feel sorry for is Kolpack, I am sure it is not his choice and I bet he is working handcuffed.

They do have a game day page on the back page though. Maybe the big pull out coverage was just on home games though??????

HerdBot
09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
It doesn't look different than the last few days paper did. Just a article on Ty Beckius. It is not even close to the past gamedays. I wouldn't say a total fail but a good 3/4 fail. I guess that is what you get when you snub them for the radio contract, they are taking their poor little ball and going home whining. The person I feel sorry for is Kolpack, I am sure it is not his choice and I bet he is working handcuffed.

They do have a game day page on the back page though. Maybe the big pull out coverage was just on home games though??????

Well I'm officially with Lakes for a "Forum Communications Boycott". Buying news coverage should be illegal. I'll build a website and we'll do links to Twitter, Facebook, and message boards. I'll have a plan within' a few weeks.

Wally
09-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Sounds like our neighbors to the north after we decided to lead the way to DI!

I hope there is more in the hard copy of the forum, because the online version is horses***

I thought there would be more Bison content on 740's site. I love Bison Illustrated's feature stories and would love more gameday content online from anyone

NDSUstudent
09-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Sounds like our neighbors to the north after we decided to lead the way to DI!

I hope there is more in the hard copy of the forum, because the online version is horses***

I thought there would be more Bison content on 740's site. I love Bison Illustrated's feature stories and would love more gameday content online from anyone

Too bad Scotty Miller has to waste his time with the Redhawks, he is probably the only one at 740/790 that could do it right.

I know it won't happen but I wish the Forum would hire somebody to help Kolpack with more content. Somebody that would blog, twitter, and just fill the gaps that can come from one guy having to cover every Bison sport.

siouxdgj
09-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Very true. A better example. Would ann arbor michigan give equal coverage Michigan State over the Wolverines. Never in a million years. How about montana state in montanas paper. Laughable.

The Ann Arbor News is no longer in business, another sad casuality of the newspaper business today. Believe it is still operating online, however.

Jay
09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Bison Illustrated, if they have the capacity, should do the gameday previews. I'd rather read it there than the Forum.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM

It is a sad thing. It almost seems like they do it to get in the face of NDSU. But it also appeases the UND crowd...people who want Lennon to beat the Bison. Strange...indeed.

Hammersmith
09-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Forum article finally up. They waited until Kolpack got out of the press conferences and wrote up his article instead of putting up a placeholder article like they should have. Dumbasses.

BISON UPSET KANSAS 6-3 (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/290057/)

99Bison
09-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Bison Illustrated, if they have the capacity, should do the gameday previews. I'd rather read it there than the Forum.

Free lance writers needed. Interested passionate sports people please apply.

Wally
09-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Hey Fargo Forum Douche Bags.........we Don't Need You......funny.....i Am Counting 4 Different Stories/reports On The Inforum Website After We Win!!!!! Where Were You Before The Game......you Weren't Anywhere To Be Found....just Tired Of The Bs From This Media Entity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony
09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Fargo Forum Douche Bags.........we Don't Need You......funny.....i Am Counting 4 Different Stories/reports On The Inforum Website After We Win!!!!! Where Were You Before The Game......you Weren't Anywhere To Be Found....just Tired Of The Bs From This Media Entity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the Forum had 3 good stories on the Bison that day: Ty Beckius, Jose Mohler, and I forget the other one.

bisonmike2
09-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I thought the Forum had 3 good stories on the Bison that day: Ty Beckius, Jose Mohler, and I forget the other one.

The 3rd one was a new feature the Forum is adding call "The Readers Wish". They don't include the 3rd story, instead they now allow the reader to look at the paper and say, "Wow, I wish they would have cover this topic." And then, in the reader can daydream about what awesome article the forum staff should have came up with and then essentially write it in their head thus satisfying the reader, and allow the Forum to continually ignore NDSU.

Bison"FANatic"
09-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Great front top 1/2 on the Bison Win.

But in Forum Fashion they have a article down the left side. "BEST BUY THEFT RING":smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: Kolpack did a great job on the articles but to whoever picks the stories for the front page "STAY CLASSY"

Tatanka
09-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Great front top 1/2 on the Bison Win.

But in Forum Fashion they have a article down the left side. "BEST BUY THEFT RING":smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: Kolpack did a great job on the articles but to whoever picks the stories for the front page "STAY CLASSY"

:banghead: What a bunch of hacks.

lakesbison
09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Tony. I think ep is mad cuz online during and after game instantly , there was.nothing.

Not even a big link on front to.the live chat or a headline saying ndsu wins!!

NDSUstudent
09-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm going to give the Forum props, they sent Kolpack and Schnepf to the game. Both of those guys put together some great articles about the win, not too many newspapers will give an FCS or a good deal of FBS teams that kind of coverage.

They are out of my doghouse for now.

stevdock
09-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Not mine though. They purposely held onto that Best Buy story just in case. The felonies being expelled from their record is old news that was on the TV newscasts weeks ago. Yes they covered our big win, BUT like I said they purposely did this.

tony
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Was there any original content about this win in any other ND newspaper?

aces1180
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Unlike the Forum being all over the Sioux, not one mention of the NDSU win in the Herald...Pretty lame.

bisonfan11
09-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Unlike the Forum being all over the Sioux, not one mention of the NDSU win in the Herald...Pretty lame.

That seems typical of Sioux country. One thought though. Shouldn't the Herald have some stories about. NDSU because of the alumni's that live in Grand Forks? If the Forum covers Sioux football to appeal to UND alumni, shouldn't the Herald cover the Bison to appeal to the NDSU alumni's that live in Grand Forks?

aces1180
09-05-2010, 02:47 PM
That seems typical of Sioux country. One thought though. Shouldn't the Herald have some stories about. NDSU because of the alumni's that live in Grand Forks? If the Forum covers Sioux football to appeal to UND alumni, shouldn't the Herald cover the Bison to appeal to the NDSU alumni's that live in Grand Forks?

Haha...Why would NDSU alumni want to live in Grand Forks? UND alumni don't even want to live there, as they all move to Fargo. ;)

NDSUstudent
09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Not mine though. They purposely held onto that Best Buy story just in case. The felonies being expelled from their record is old news that was on the TV newscasts weeks ago. Yes they covered our big win, BUT like I said they purposely did this.

I highly doubt it was on purpose. I bet that story was going to run on Sunday no matter what NDSU did against Kansas.

GRAFTONBISON
09-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Living in Grafton, we subscribed to the Herald for many years. In 2006, sick of the lack of any Bison coverage, we changed our subscription to The Forum. Very satisified w/ Bison coverage in The Forum until 2008-2009. Cancelled our subscription to The Forum at that time, using the internet as our source of Bison coverage.

They (Herald and Forum) made their choice on what to cover and we made our choice!!! All it would take is decent NDSU coverage for us to re-subscribe, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Down in the Twin Cities this weekend and what do I see in the Star Tribune? A nice little piece on last night's game. Yet the Herald has nothing about the game, absolutely sickening (yet not surprising):banghead: .

Hammersmith
09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Finally up on the Herald website.

NDSUstudent
09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe the Forum's coverage isn't so bad after all this year....

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/09/05/the-mailbag-vol-2/

Bison"FANatic"
09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
They really did pick up the coverage over the fall camp. 2007 had a bunch more "Bison stories" as he is counting the 7 stories that were on the Missouri Valley teams this year. Which were very nice to see and would be a good supplement, but they just were not on the Bison themselves. I think that is were the perception came from on the 25% decrease in "Bison" coverage.

bisonpride4ever
09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Even the front page of the online version of the Rochester Post Bulletin has an article and picture of the Bison win over KU. Its even ahead of the story of the Vikings cutting Rhys Lloyd, who went to college at Rochester CTC and of the Vikings cutting and resigning of Marcus Sherels who when to high school in Rochester.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/

td577
09-06-2010, 09:16 PM
If you aren't getting the last edition, there might not be any sports coverage for anything that ends after 9 pm.

HerdBot
09-06-2010, 09:26 PM
They really did pick up the coverage over the fall camp. 2007 had a bunch more "Bison stories" as he is counting the 7 stories that were on the Missouri Valley teams this year. Which were very nice to see and would be a good supplement, but they just were not on the Bison themselves. I think that is were the perception came from on the 25% decrease in "Bison" coverage.

I like the articles on the other teams. The average Joe doesn't have a clue as to how much tradition the MVC and Gateway had. I bet 10% of the area knows that future HOF QB Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa. I bet they don't know they beat Iowa State before we bear Kansas.

Bison"FANatic"
09-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh don't get me wrong I think they were good articles to, just seemed to be good supplemental articles

bradelliottschlossman
09-08-2010, 01:42 AM

There have been several things posted in this thread about the Forum and the Herald that are untrue. They continue to be repeated as the truth, so I thought I would clear some of it up.

Not one mention of the NDSU win in the Herald? There was a 100-point Bison headline at the very top of the sports page with a big Bison defense photo right next to it. There even was a mention of NDSU's win on the top of Page 1A of the Herald with a teaser to the sports page. On an inside page, there was another Bison photo to go along with the jump.

Last week, the Herald ran four of Jeff Kolpack's Bison football stories. The day-of-the-game story also had a picture next to it. So, contrary to the belief, the Herald has been running Bison stories and will continue to do so.

Also, I've been told by friends in Fargo that the person on this thread who has been trying to organize an FCC media boycott is employeed by Fox News in Fargo. This person obviously has ulterior motives for this boycott -- trying to get advertisers to spend money with him vs. Forum Communications. His plan seems to be running the Forum down every opportunity and try to get this stuff repeated around town.

In the past, he has been very critical of Dom Izzo for his lack of blog posts. How many blog posts has Fox News done on the Bison this year? None. Why not continually throw Fox News under the bus for their lack of coverage and demand an advertising boycott for them? Hmmm.... There are three television stations in town with sports reporters. Dom is the only one who blogs on NDSU, yet people direct anger for lack of coverage at him???

As for the Forum, I don't understand this perception that they don't cover the Bison very well. They have been sending three people to every road football game since the D-I move. How many other FCS teams have three people from the local paper following them on the road? Any? I wouldn't be surprised if the Forum is the only one.

The Forum had three entire pages dedicated to the Bison game on Sunday. I would doubt that any other FCS teams have that kind of coverage... a majority of FBS teams don't get that kind of coverage.

Any suggestion that Jeff doesn't work hard is ridiculous. He is well-known as a hard-worker in the business. He does many things for FCC, including hosting radio shows multiple days per week. Almost no sports reporters in the country have this on their plate. Jeff lines up interviews and plans his sports show in the morning, works on print stuff in the afternoon and probably helps out on the desk at night.

This weekend, for example, they had him in Dilworth covering a high school football game on Friday night. He probably worked until midnight. On Saturday, he hosted a radio show from like 9 a.m. to noon in Fargo. Then, he got on a plane and flew to Lawrence and covered a game that night. He wrote two stories and added a couple of blog entries. Then, he flew back to Fargo and got in around 3 a.m. Obviously, he worked on Sunday, too, because he had a follow-up story from the NDSU prez. He must have worked Monday as well to write the UNI preview. I wonder if he even saw his family on Labor Day weekend. Stuff like this isn't unusual but the public doesn't get to see it. I would guess it's very rare that Jeff works fewer than six days a week from August to April.

I realize that people everywhere like to poke fun at the local paper. That's fine. But this has gone beyond that.

Believe it or not, the Forum does a great job covering the Bison. Jeff and Kevin are true professionals, who any paper would be lucky to have. If you don't believe me, pick up papers from visiting teams' towns and compare. You'll quickly learn that you're lucky to have these guys covering your team.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2010, 02:01 AM
There have been several things posted in this thread about the Forum and the Herald that are untrue. They continue to be repeated as the truth, so I thought I would clear some of it up.

Not one mention of the NDSU win in the Herald? There was a 100-point Bison headline at the very top of the sports page with a big Bison defense photo right next to it. There even was a mention of NDSU's win on the top of Page 1A of the Herald with a teaser to the sports page. On an inside page, there was another Bison photo to go along with the jump.

Last week, the Herald ran four of Jeff Kolpack's Bison football stories. The day-of-the-game story also had a picture next to it. So, contrary to the belief, the Herald has been running Bison stories and will continue to do so.

Also, I've been told by friends in Fargo that the person on this thread who has been trying to organize an FCC media boycott is employeed by Fox News in Fargo. This person obviously has ulterior motives for this boycott -- trying to get advertisers to spend money with him vs. Forum Communications. His plan seems to be running the Forum down every opportunity and try to get this stuff repeated around town.

In the past, he has been very critical of Dom Izzo for his lack of blog posts. How many blog posts has Fox News done on the Bison this year? None. Why not continually throw Fox News under the bus for their lack of coverage and demand an advertising boycott for them? Hmmm.... There are three television stations in town with sports reporters. Dom is the only one who blogs on NDSU, yet people direct anger for lack of coverage at him???

As for the Forum, I don't understand this perception that they don't cover the Bison very well. They have been sending three people to every road football game since the D-I move. How many other FCS teams have three people from the local paper following them on the road? Any? I wouldn't be surprised if the Forum is the only one.

The Forum had three entire pages dedicated to the Bison game on Sunday. I would doubt that any other FCS teams have that kind of coverage... a majority of FBS teams don't get that kind of coverage.

Any suggestion that Jeff doesn't work hard is ridiculous. He is well-known as a hard-worker in the business. He does many things for FCC, including hosting radio shows multiple days per week. Almost no sports reporters in the country have this on their plate. Jeff lines up interviews and plans his sports show in the morning, works on print stuff in the afternoon and probably helps out on the desk at night.

This weekend, for example, they had him in Dilworth covering a high school football game on Friday night. He probably worked until midnight. On Saturday, he hosted a radio show from like 9 a.m. to noon in Fargo. Then, he got on a plane and flew to Lawrence and covered a game that night. He wrote two stories and added a couple of blog entries. Then, he flew back to Fargo and got in around 3 a.m. Obviously, he worked on Sunday, too, because he had a follow-up story from the NDSU prez. He must have worked Monday as well to write the UNI preview. I wonder if he even saw his family on Labor Day weekend. Stuff like this isn't unusual but the public doesn't get to see it. I would guess it's very rare that Jeff works fewer than six days a week from August to April.

I realize that people everywhere like to poke fun at the local paper. That's fine. But this has gone beyond that.

Believe it or not, the Forum does a great job covering the Bison. Jeff and Kevin are true professionals, who any paper would be lucky to have. If you don't believe me, pick up papers from visiting teams' towns and compare. You'll quickly learn that you're lucky to have these guys covering your team.

I hope everyone takes time to read this post because it is spot on. NDSU is very fortunate to have guys like Jeff, Kevin, and Dom covering them. They all put in a lot of time covering the Bison and they do it at a level you would expect for an upper FBS school.

DIBISON
09-08-2010, 02:16 AM
I feel that most of the time the Bison get good coverage in The Forum. That is not the issue with me. I do not want to read daily coverage of UND in The Forum. UND is not located in Fargo, this region, nor do they play any games here. The coverage UND gets in The Forum takes away coverage from the other local Fargo Moorhead colleges, high schools and sports teams. I want to read loca sports coveragel on a daily basis. Periodic coverage of a non-regional school like UND is o.k. but not continous coverage at the expense of LOCAL schools and teams.

Brad - Grand Forks doesn't have 3 local universities/colleges like FM does, so the Herald has more space to fill with print on NDSU.

Bisonguy
09-08-2010, 02:17 AM
I hope everyone takes time to read this post because it is spot on. NDSU is very fortunate to have guys like Jeff, Kevin, and Dom covering them. They all put in a lot of time covering the Bison and they do it at a level you would expect for an upper FBS school.

I'm glad The Forum will still have the 4 page gameday cover wrap like the Lawrence Journal-World for the home opener. :nod:

NDSUstudent
09-08-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm glad The Forum will still have the 4 page gameday cover wrap like the Lawrence Journal-World for the home opener. :nod:

Maybe the Forum will bring it back someday. But my point was the quality and quantity of coverage that Jeff, Kevin and Dom provide NDSU is upper FBS quality. Those guys are greatly underappreciated on this forum.

tony
09-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Maybe the Forum will bring it back someday. But my point was the quality and quantity of coverage that Jeff, Kevin and Dom provide NDSU is upper FBS quality. Those guys are greatly underappreciated on this forum.

I agree with Bradellio about the Forum. The Herald writers? They can go to... oh, never mind. :)

bisonmike2
09-08-2010, 02:37 AM
I feel that most of the time the Bison get good coverage in The Forum. That is not the issue with me. I do not want to read daily coverage of UND in The Forum. UND is not located in Fargo, this region, nor do they play any games here. The coverage UND gets in The Forum takes away coverage from the other local Fargo Moorhead colleges, high schools and sports teams. I want to read loca sports coveragel on a daily basis. Periodic coverage of a non-regional school like UND is o.k. but not continous coverage at the expense of LOCAL schools and teams.

Brad - Grand Forks doesn't have 3 local universities/colleges like FM does, so the Herald has more space to fill with print on NDSU.

I agree. I don't want to wade past 4 UND stories so I can read an article on NDSU. Also I wasn't a big fan of how the Forum eagerly pursued any anti-NDSU article while at the same time seemingly ignoring what was going on at UND. Specifically the presidential housing fiasco.

roadwarrior
09-08-2010, 02:38 AM
The sunday Lawrence paper had 3 full pages of game coverage. Pretty much the same as the Forum had on the game. Plus, the Forum had a front page story about the game.

Civil06
09-08-2010, 03:08 AM
I agree. I don't want to wade past 4 UND stories so I can read an article on NDSU. Also I wasn't a big fan of how the Forum eagerly pursued any anti-NDSU article while at the same time seemingly ignoring what was going on at UND. Specifically the presidential housing fiasco.

I agree, it was bad during the end of the Chapman day. However, I don't believe the personal ripping of Kolpack and the rest of the sports staff can be warrented based on the ridiculously amateur editorial staff.

Wally
09-08-2010, 03:11 AM
My biggest beef has never been the work ethic of the writers and the hours they put in doing their stories, etc. They are the face of the Forum Sports department so they get to hear the complaints, etc for better or for worse.

The online content is what is so frustrating for me, living outside the FM area. I don't know who decides what goes online and what doesn't. Jeff said in a recent blog post that sometimes he doesn't even know what is going online and when it goes online. I ranted on the lack of coverage on gameday because there were only 2 stories/notes posted online Saturday before the game and I assume there was more than the Ty Beckius story and Bison Football Notes in the hard copy of the Forum Sat morning, but maybe I am wrong and if I am let me know. Then after the game there are 4-5 stories posted online, which I appreciated, but why isn't there more posted before the game? If you can post all your content online after the game, why can't all your content be posted before the game?

I get the argument that the Forum needs to sell papers, but alert the media literally, this new age internet thing isn't going anywhere and to not take advantage is silly IMO.

I don't think the other media entities have done much on their respective websites at all either. I thought for sure we would get more from kfgo/kfan websites since they now have the rights to broadcast. I would think they would be using NDSU athletics to drive traffic to those sites, but maybe the Babe of the Day on 740thefan.com is all they need to drive traffic:D :D

SDbison
09-08-2010, 03:18 AM
I call BS. Much of the stuff a sixth grader could write. Try reading the Lincoln paper on Saturday and Sunday. The Forum is hardly one-tenth the quality / quantity.

SDbison
09-08-2010, 03:22 AM

Wow, the Forum editors are now posting to stand up for their Weekly Reader type coverage. You guys print the most boring stuff. "Saw this at practice......looks like receivers are much improved".......I can get that from the guys at Bisonville. Start doing some articles like you understand the game, the coaches, the players, the other teams and Bison history. Too bad you don't have a dedicated writer for the college scene so he doesn't have to cover Dilworth's Middle school game too. As for sports writers take a look at Terry V's effort for SDSU. You let him get away from the FM and he is 3 times anyone you got. Bye now.......the Forum is crapping on NDSU and Bison sports. Won't ever buy one of your fishwraps again!

HerdBot
09-08-2010, 03:24 AM

I don't buy the logic that since we're D1-AA we shouldn't demand better coverage. North Dakota doesn't have any professional sports teams. That's why NDSU football is king. That's why we average almost 19,000 fans per game with most of them on TV. In the words of Ron Burghandy, "We're kind of a big deal." Only 5 other FCS teams out draw NDSU and they get equal or better coverage than we do.

The Grizzlies... they know how to promote their local team! If they would give Montana State the same type of coverage UND gets here would be people rioting in the streets!

Yes, the Forum had a great Sunday write up. So did the Herald. So did the Star Tribune. I hope so!!! It was headline news on ESPN!!!!! It was a big story. But during the days following the win we've seen the national shows do more reporting on it than the local media. I think that is sad. I think locally we've gotten so used to NDSU making huge upsets that we don't even make a big deal of it anymore. I guess the media is used to it. They have tried to downplay it.

Your UND Hockey blog had 21 posts in August when there is no hockey season. NDSU football had 31 and it’s during camp and the start of football season. Props to you! We would love to have that much coverage. Maybe Kolpack and Don should get some advice from you!

Also I should point out that the Forum gives UND it's own heading while the Herald does not give NDSU it's own heading. But your Sioux Blog is on both the Forum and Herald website. Why can't I find the Bison Blog on the Herald? Because they do not cover NDSU unless they do something big.

Attacks on Dom & Kolpack are constructive. They are very good at what they do but we want more. And I get annoyed when people try to dismiss us as some small majority. We're the biggest show in town. The same one's who send 30K fans to the Metrodome. We're not D2 any more and we demand more coverage. Actually you made me even more upset at the Forum. They are too cheap to hire Jeff some help!! Give the guy raise or hire him an assistant to help out!

I contend Jeff has no conrol over this because the powers above him give him orders to cover the Sioux.

SDbison
09-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Maybe the Forum's coverage isn't so bad after all this year....

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/09/05/the-mailbag-vol-2/
Any you are buying Jeff's lame excuses?

EndZoneQB
09-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Wow, the Forum editors are now posting to stand up for their Weekly Reader type coverage. You guys print the most boring stuff. "Saw this at practice......looks like receivers are much improved".......I can get that from the guys at Bisonville. Start doing some articles like you understand the game, the coaches, the players, the other teams and Bison history. Too bad you don't have a dedicated writer for the college scene so he doesn't have to cover Dilworth's Middle school game too. As for sports writers take a look at Terry V's effort for SDSU. You let him get away from the FM and he is 3 times anyone you got. Bye now.......the Forum is crapping on NDSU and Bison sports. Won't ever buy one of your fishwraps again!

This is what bothers me. I don't EVER read the media blog anymore because I get texts or read bville before it's even updated...same with the paper. Hard copy articles just aren't sufficient in the day and age of instant updates. Oh well, thanks bville members for the good information coverage :)

NDSU1980
09-08-2010, 03:35 AM
I dropped my Forum subscription sometime back when then sports editor Scott Nulph told a Wyoming radio station he wanted the Bison beaten because he went to UND and had no use for NDSU. Add to that the fact that there are always more UND stories in The Forum than NDSU stories in The Herald.

Also, in the on line versions, any bad news about NDSU will ALWAYS have open comments, but you will NEVER see comments allowed on a negative story about UND.

Sorry, but the bias runs too deep for me to be swayed by a couple of paragraphs from Brad Schlossman.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2010, 03:37 AM

I don't need to buy anything, since fall camp started I thought the Forum's coverage has been just fine.

ndsubison1
09-08-2010, 03:43 AM
I dropped my Forum subscription sometime back when then sports editor Scott Nulph told a Wyoming radio station he wanted the Bison beaten because he went to UND and had no use for NDSU. Add to that the fact that there are always more UND stories in The Forum than NDSU stories in The Herald.

Also, in the on line versions, any bad news about NDSU will ALWAYS have open comments, but you will NEVER see comments allowed on a negative story about UND.

Sorry, but the bias runs too deep for me to be swayed by a couple of paragraphs from Brad Schlossman.

This.

Next thing the Brad guy will try to tell us is that the Forum has always been objective towards NDSU :rolleyes: What next? Dan Hammer coming on to defend his coverage of NDSU? lol

SDbison
09-08-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't need to buy anything, since fall camp started I thought the Forum's coverage has been just fine.
How old are you.....maybe 22? Don't think you have much in the way of past experience reading other national papers and coverage expected for a DI school. I just don't understand where you seem to get your worldly knowledge..........
Somehow seems like your girlfriends dad must work for the Forum the way you defend them.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2010, 03:56 AM
How old are you.....maybe 22? Don't think you have much in the way of past experience reading other national papers and coverage expected for a DI school. I just don't understand where you seem to get your worldly knowledge..........
Somehow seems like your girlfriends dad must work for the Forum the way you defend them.

I do have a journalism degree. I wrote for the Spectrum and have interned at a few places. Not saying I know everything or close to it but I do at least have some knowledge in this area.

SDbison
09-08-2010, 04:00 AM
I do have a journalism degree. I wrote for the Spectrum and have interned at a few places. Not saying I know everything or close to it but I do at least have some knowledge in this area.
BTW, I was joking about the girlfriend thing.......but still don't understand why you want to defend the Forum unless some of their guys take NDSU journalism students under their wing. My recommnendation is to read more sources and get to know the subject matter in depth. I just don't get much out of the Forum sports writers anymore.

BadlandsBison
09-08-2010, 04:04 AM

There might be a lot of hockey fans in the Fargo area that the Forum is trying to reach out to. The forum is just trying to sell papers I'm sure. I'm not trying to defend anyone here, just saying. I don't really follow the forum anymore but there does seem to be a good measure of lean towards und. Especially with the Chapman issue, they really let him have it with both barrels.

HerdBot
09-08-2010, 04:05 AM
BTW, I was joking about the girlfriend thing.......but still don't understand why you want to defend the Forum unless some of their guys take NDSU journalism students under their wing. My recommnendation is to read more sources and get to know the subject matter in depth. I just don't get much out of the Forum sports writers anymore.

In all fairness, the average Joe is idiotic when it comes to real football knowlege. The John Madden approach works better for the general population. We actually understand the game at an advanced level.

heckler
09-08-2010, 04:07 AM

http://enigma.web2.hubspot.com/Portals/1090/images/i-agree.jpg

I don't buy the forum paper anymore because of crap like this.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2010, 04:21 AM

I do think the Forum could do more, I've said about three times in the past month here that they should hire somebody young and have them provide more print and especially online content. Kolpack is just one guy and the NDSU beat is very big. I am jealous of what TV gives rabbit fans with all his online stuff, problem with Jeff is that he wears a lot of hats like Brad said in his post.

I will say there are times when I don't get a lot out of the sports page but then there are days like Sunday after the KU game where I thought the content was very good. But I am a Bison rube and what I want is probably a bit too much for Joe sports fan. But in my opinion that is where the online content should be to fill the gaps, but I'm not going to bust Kolpack's chops about it because the guy is already busting his butt.

SDbison
09-08-2010, 04:26 AM
I do think the Forum could do more, I've said about three times in the past month here that they should hire somebody young and have them to provide more print and especially online content. Kolpack is just one guy and the NDSU beat is very big. I am jealous of what TV gives rabbits fan with all his online stuff, problem with Jeff is that he wears a lot of hats like Brad said in his post.

I will say there are times when I don't get a lot out of the sports page but then there are days like Sunday after the KU game where I thought the content was very good.
Guess your expectations are lower........as for the Kansas game there better be some big time coverage. The Bison played a Big 12 team in front of 50,000 fans and won. Yep, I agree, Jeff shouldn't be covering high school crap too. Shame on the Forum.

lakesbison
09-08-2010, 06:04 AM
HA HA BRAD S>

nice try dude, justify it all you want, its a D1 town and it needs D1 coverage from the newspaper, im not the only one bitching about you,,,, theres plenty plenty plenty of posts on bisonville about the forum.

so go ahead and single me out if it makes you able to sleep better at night, I dont care.

until the ANTI-NDSU sentiment leaves the fargo forum, you will have people at your throats.

Yes, email fox tv. sports@kvrr.com, heck email jshaw@kvrr.com (jim shaw news director) Im all for it, demand more bison.

there, sleep good brad!!!

PS_ NDSU is freakin on ESPN, STARTRIBUNE, KC STAR, DENVER POST with bigger headlines.

NDSU is the #1 show in the area outside of the gophers at a college level, hockey doesnt even touch it, WHY you ask? cuz its the same 10,000 people and ONLY those 10,000 that care.

NDSU brings 20,000 6 times a year to the games, but 100,000+ are fans and want to know what's happening with NDSU football.

bradelliottschlossman
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
HA HA BRAD S>

nice try dude, justify it all you want, its a D1 town and it needs D1 coverage from the newspaper, im not the only one bitching about you,,,, theres plenty plenty plenty of posts on bisonville about the forum.

so go ahead and single me out if it makes you able to sleep better at night, I dont care.

until the ANTI-NDSU sentiment leaves the fargo forum, you will have people at your throats.

Yes, email fox tv. sports@kvrr.com, heck email jshaw@kvrr.com (jim shaw news director) Im all for it, demand more bison.

there, sleep good brad!!!

PS_ NDSU is freakin on ESPN, STARTRIBUNE, KC STAR, DENVER POST with bigger headlines.

NDSU is the #1 show in the area outside of the gophers at a college level, hockey doesnt even touch it, WHY you ask? cuz its the same 10,000 people and ONLY those 10,000 that care.

NDSU brings 20,000 6 times a year to the games, but 100,000+ are fans and want to know what's happening with NDSU football.

Again, just completely false statements thrown out there. The Star Tribune, KC Star and Denver Post did not have larger headlines than the Forum, nor did they have close to the amount of coverage. The Forum flew more people down to Kansas than the KC Star had drive 30 miles to the game.

Somehow, a 60-second clip (if that) on ESPN is being equated to better and more in-depth coverage than all the highlights that were on WDAY plus interviews, the three-plus pages dedicated to it in the Forum, the two follow-up stories, the four blog entries and the XX minutes it was talked about on sports talk this afternoon. It's insane.

The last few national champions in FCS football are James Madison, Appalachian State, Richmond and Villanova. For those who don't believe NDSU gets DI coverage, check out their local papers and see what kind of coverage they get this season. See how many reports from fall ball they had. See how many of them send three people on the road to cover their team. In fact, see how many of them send two people on the road. Check out their media blogs - if they have them.

If you want the same coverage the Journal-Star gives Nebraska, my best advice is this: Bring 80,000 to the spring game next year. That will catch the attention of the Forum editors. It worked in Lincoln, anyways.

I can't sit here and correct all the false statements that have been posted and will probably continue to be posted. Just know that a lot of what's being said here is not true and that perception isn't always reality.

tjbison
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Again, just completely false statements thrown out there. The Star Tribune, KC Star and Denver Post did not have larger headlines than the Forum, nor did they have close to the amount of coverage. The Forum flew more people down to Kansas than the KC Star had drive 30 miles to the game.

Somehow, a 60-second clip (if that) on ESPN is being equated to better and more in-depth coverage than all the highlights that were on WDAY plus interviews, the three-plus pages dedicated to it in the Forum, the two follow-up stories, the four blog entries and the XX minutes it was talked about on sports talk this afternoon. It's insane.

The last few national champions in FCS football are James Madison, Appalachian State, Richmond and Villanova. For those who don't believe NDSU gets DI coverage, check out their local papers and see what kind of coverage they get this season. See how many reports from fall ball they had. See how many of them send three people on the road to cover their team. In fact, see how many of them send two people on the road. Check out their media blogs - if they have them.

If you want the same coverage the Journal-Star gives Nebraska, my best advice is this: Bring 80,000 to the spring game next year. That will catch the attention of the Forum editors. It worked in Lincoln, anyways.

I can't sit here and correct all the false statements that have been posted and will probably continue to be posted. Just know that a lot of what's being said here is not true and that perception isn't always reality.

I agree there are lots of out there comments, but I believe most are upset with the total coverage from all media outlets, and the Marketing Dept. and NDSU. I do have one question though, when a player was booted or got in trouble you guys jumped ALL over it with Breaking News alerts online and front page stories, yet I don't remember reading about how the kids that work hard pay their own way and make a team from a acedemic issue cough cough....Marcus Williams. Its not going to kill you guys to investigate the positive things these players do for the community throughout the year. I apoloigize if I missed an article but I read everything Bison related.

Mr. Burgundy
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM

You need to quickly realize that Kolpack is about as good as it gets and is a great friend of Bison athletics. He is far from the problem.

MN_BISON
09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
You need to quickly realize that Kolpack is about as good as it gets and is a great friend of Bison athletics. He is far from the problem.

Agreed, Jeff Kolpack is not the problem at The Forum.

Grizzled
09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree there are lots of out there comments, but I believe most are upset with the total coverage from all media outlets, and the Marketing Dept. and NDSU. I do have one question though, when a player was booted or got in trouble you guys jumped ALL over it with Breaking News alerts online and front page stories, yet I don't remember reading about how the kids that work hard pay their own way and make a team from a acedemic issue cough cough....Marcus Williams. Its not going to kill you guys to investigate the positive things these players do for the community throughout the year. I apoloigize if I missed an article but I read everything Bison related.

TJ its like that everywhere. What was scrolling on the bottom of the screen for the last 3 weeks on ESPN, all the players getting suspended from SEC teams. Its never so and so pays his own way to go to college. Or walk on now starting. 99% of campus is paying their own way to go to college and they don't expect a story in the paper about it. If a person who is in the limelight gets in trouble though it is always on the news outlets, everywhere, not just Fargo. Its the way society is today and why sometimes watching the news is more depressing than informative. Its what grabs a readers attention.

WYOBISONMAN
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I think Kolpack does a great job and I appreciate his insight on Bison athletics.

NorthernBison
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I guess I just see it 180 degrees diffeent than most here. Interest in Bison football is generated by what happens on the field. Period.

After a dismal 3-8 season, there weren't lot of people begging the Forum for more coverage and more stories. The KU win pumped up the interest. Continued success on the field will keep it going and we will read more and more about the Bison.

MN_BISON
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
The one thing I wish Kolpack would add is a weekly live chat and it would be nice if WDAY would have him on the 1:00 pm radio show more. When he's not on that show is like a trip to the dentist.

RedRiver
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't buy the logic that since we're D1-AA we shouldn't demand better coverage. North Dakota doesn't have any professional sports teams. That's why NDSU football is king. That's why we average almost 19,000 fans per game with most of them on TV. In the words of Ron Burghandy, "We're kind of a big deal." Only 5 other FCS teams out draw NDSU and they get equal or better coverage than we do.

The Grizzlies... they know how to promote their local team! If they would give Montana State the same type of coverage UND gets here would be people rioting in the streets!

Yes, the Forum had a great Sunday write up. So did the Herald. So did the Star Tribune. I hope so!!! It was headline news on ESPN!!!!! It was a big story. But during the days following the win we've seen the national shows do more reporting on it than the local media. I think that is sad. I think locally we've gotten so used to NDSU making huge upsets that we don't even make a big deal of it anymore. I guess the media is used to it. They have tried to downplay it.

Your UND Hockey blog had 21 posts in August when there is no hockey season. NDSU football had 31 and it’s during camp and the start of football season. Props to you! We would love to have that much coverage. Maybe Kolpack and Don should get some advice from you!

Also I should point out that the Forum gives UND it's own heading while the Herald does not give NDSU it's own heading. But your Sioux Blog is on both the Forum and Herald website. Why can't I find the Bison Blog on the Herald? Because they do not cover NDSU unless they do something big.

Attacks on Dom & Kolpack are constructive. They are very good at what they do but we want more. And I get annoyed when people try to dismiss us as some small majority. We're the biggest show in town. The same one's who send 30K fans to the Metrodome. We're not D2 any more and we demand more coverage. Actually you made me even more upset at the Forum. They are too cheap to hire Jeff some help!! Give the guy raise or hire him an assistant to help out!

I contend Jeff has no conrol over this because the powers above him give him orders to cover the Sioux.

Your post really gets to the point, that Brad doesn't seem to address. It is not so much the amount of NDSU coverage, but all of the coverage of UND in Fargo. UND is not located in Fargo or this region of the state. As a Fargo resident I want a majority of local coverage, right now I'm getting an awful lot of UND coverage at the expense of the local coverage.

Grizzled
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Does the radio contract with KFGO have an effect on coverage?

Gene told KFGO to get rid of UND when he signed the deal. That couldn't have sat well with anyone at UND. Is it possible that when UND made the deal they set the same guidelines? If so is it warranted?

steelbison
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Totally agree Burgundy! The only thing I disagreed about with Jeff was his 4-7 prediction.

But hey everyone is entitled to his opinions. Even though they are wrong!! :D

I personally will never have a bad word to say about Jeff and appreciate his hard work and honest opinions on NDSU

Facts
09-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I have just decided to go back to school for journalism. I will one day own the forum. Any applicants for the Sports section editor position?

Bison"FANatic"
09-08-2010, 02:18 PM

So true, He has put out a lot of good stuff lately. The sad thing is that the Forum has him trying to cover so many things. That has to cut into the coverage not so much for football but for the NDSU soccer team and the volleyball team and other teams when they are in season.

HerdBot
09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
So true, He has put out a lot of good stuff lately. The sad thing is that the Forum has him trying to cover so many things. That has to cut into the coverage not so much for football but for the NDSU soccer team and the volleyball team and other teams when they are in season.

Absolutely! Kolpack is great! I've never once disrespectfully criticized his writing. It's the Forum who I have been critical of and people above Jeff who make decisons based on an agenda. The Forum have always worked people to death and only care about profits. They have a lot of talented writers who move on but apparently they don't replace them. Just add to the pile of more things to do which dilutes the coverage.

NDSU should have their own beat writer dedicated just to NDSU. Nothing else. Like Levele Neal in the Star Trib.

aces1180
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM

When I originally posted my comment, I was referring to the lack of coverage on the Herald Web site at the time, not the actually printed paper. I rely 100% on the Internet for my news, so I should have been more specific.

tony
09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
When I originally posted my comment, I was referring to the lack of coverage on the Herald Web site at the time, not the actually printed paper. I rely 100% on the Internet for my news, so I should have been more specific.

Do you really go to the Herald to get Bison news or are you hoping, like me, that they are going to print something utterly inane about NDSU that we can all enjoy mocking and getting irate about?

80ALUM
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Comparing the coverage of the KC Star to that of the Fargo Forum is not exactly the right comparison. How about we compare the Forum's coverage to that of the Lawerence Journal since that is their local paper. I have a copy of the Journal that I brought home with me. Front page headline, pic and 3 articles about the game, and a full two page spread inside. Did not see the Sunday Forum so not sure how this compares. But this shows that local teams do and should get alot of coverage regardless of the outcome of the game. Also, the number of reporters sent to a game does not necessarily equate to the quality of coverage.

aces1180
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Do you really go to the Herald to get Bison news or are you hoping, like me, that they are going to print something utterly inane about NDSU that we can all enjoy mocking and getting irate about?

I went to the Herald Web site to see if there was any perspective on the game....and to find out if they actually posted the story online, which they hadn't when I posted on Sunday.

tony
09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I went to the Herald Web site to see if there was any perspective on the game....and to find out if they actually posted the story online, which they hadn't when I posted on Sunday.

Yeah, I look for the Herald perspective too (it's usually hilarious.)

If you want a reason to feel good about Forum Comm, look at the Dickinson Press sports page online:

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/group/group/Sports/

That is EPIC. Hope their print version is like that too.

Still curious how the Bismarck and Minot media covered this story but not going to lose sleep over it. All I know is that the Forum sent a LOT of guys down to the game.

aces1180
09-08-2010, 04:46 PM

If you want a reason to feel good about Forum Comm, look at the Dickinson Press sports page online:

Still curious how the Bismarck and Minot media covered this story but not going to lose sleep over it.

That was really good!

I saw the Bismarck Tribune had the AP story in their headlines online, so that was good...Not sure what the print version looked like.

80ALUM
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Sunday Bismarck Trib. had it as their Sports page headline article and front page teaser.

lakesbison
09-08-2010, 05:54 PM
BS- "Somehow, a 60-second clip (if that) on ESPN is being equated to better and more in-depth coverage than all the highlights that were on WDAY plus interviews"

newsflash, ESPN is bigger than the FORUM, and yes.

LOSE THE UND STUFF IN A FARGO FREAKIN NEWSPAPER, GAIN BACK SUBSCRIPTIONS. ITS THAT SIMPLE THEN I WILL BUY YOU DINNER AT NORMANS.

HerdBot
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Still curious how the Bismarck and Minot media covered this story but not going to lose sleep over it. All I know is that the Forum sent a LOT of guys down to the game.

Dickinson is owned by the Forum and they have an entire NDSU section and reprint all of Kolpacks articles. The have an entire UND section with a reprint of the Herald. Both UND and NDSU have their own section/heading.

The Herald does not give NDSU their own heading.

It's absolutely crystal clear that Grand Forks will never promote the Bison.

tony
09-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Dickinson is owned by the Forum and they have an entire NDSU section and reprint all of Kolpacks articles. The have an entire UND section with a reprint of the Herald. Both UND and NDSU have their own section/heading.

I still think that's awesome. I would have loved to have that kind of coverage of NDSU in the Bismarck Tribune when I lived there. And as long as the Bison are covered, I don't begrudge UND their coverage.

EndZoneQB
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/290398/group/homepage/

HerdBot
09-09-2010, 02:15 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/290398/group/homepage/

The headline right above it reads" Sioux ranked# 2 in hockey poll." Coincidence? Nope. Its that Sioux agenda they will never admit.

Tatanka
09-09-2010, 02:22 AM
According to Fox 15 News at 9 Ten employees fired today at WDAZ / GF Herald... WDAZ to drop their local weekend newscast...

Tatanka
09-09-2010, 02:24 AM
The headline right above it reads" Sioux ranked# 2 in hockey poll." Coincidence? Nope. Its that Sioux agenda they will never admit.

Well, at least they corrected the obvious spelling error. However, it still appears (as of 9:24pm) that el Forko Grande is actually part of Minnesota.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/290392/group/homepage/

No_Skill
09-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Ok, this audit was actually completed months ago. It's just that the final report was not complete. So, basically this article was written to state that it had no information to report? Lame.

Bison bison
09-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Well, at least they corrected the obvious spelling error. However, it still appears (as of 9:24pm) that el Forko Grande is actually part of Minnesota.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/290392/group/homepage/

if it was manitoba i could understand.

Tatanka
09-09-2010, 02:33 AM
if it was manitoba i could understand.

Well, it could be. MINN could be a misspelled abbreviation for Manitoba. I've seen worse in teh Forum.

TheBisonator
09-09-2010, 02:52 AM
According to Fox 15 News at 9 Ten employees fired today at WDAZ / GF Herald... WDAZ to drop their local weekend newscast...

Is this really true??