PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart

westnodak93bison
08-08-2010, 02:50 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287139/

Some interesting names in there and some weights that are considerably different than what is posted on gobison.com. Most notably Cole Jirik. This article has him at 235 lb #2 LDE and gobison.com has him at 215lb.

tony
08-08-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't think you can copyright a depth chart and since the link is going to go dead in a couple days, here it is (as printed in the Forum):

Offense
QB 3 Jose Mohler, 6-0, 170, SO / 16 Brock Jensen, 6-3, 220, FR
FB 46 Lee Vandal, 6-1, 248, SR / 47 Garrett Bruhn, 6-1, 232, SO
RB 8 D.J. McNorton, 5-9, 203, JR / 23 Matt Voigtlander, 5-11½, 219, JR
TE 84 Landon Smith, 6-2, 238, SR / 82 Matt Veldman, 6-6, 254, JR
WR 85 Gary Williams, 5-11, 183, SR -or- 11 Justin Howard, 5-10, 181, SO
WR 81 Warren Holloway, 6-2, 190, JR / 6 Titus Mack, 5-10, 167, SR
LT 52 Michael Arndt, 6-6, 318, SR / 72 Jeff Jerve, 6-4, 292, FR
LG 73 Joe Lund, 6-2, 298, SO / 61 Will Britt, 6-4, 298, JR
C 63 Austin Richard, 6-3, 327, JR / 66 D.J. McGregor, 6-2, 308, SR
RG 68 Ty Beckius, 6-3, 300, SO / 57 Boen Anderson, 6-2, 292, JR
RT 78 Paul Cornick, 6-6, 305, JR / 67 Hank Jacobs, 6-3, 290, FR

Special teams
PK 30 Ryan Jastram, 5-11, 203, JR / 17 Adam Keller, 6-2, 192, FR
Holder 19 John Prelvitz, 6-2, 212, SR
P 19 John Prelvitz, 6-2, 212, SR
LS 50 Michael Murphy, 6-0, 237, FR
KR 8 D.J. McNorton, 5-9, 203, JR / 85 Gary Williams, 5-11, 183, SR / 6 Titus Mack, 5-10, 167, SR
PR 8 D.J. McNorton, 5-9, 203, JR

Defense
LE 92 Coulter Boyer, 6-4, 245, JR / 93 Cole Jirik, 6-4, 235, FR
DT 70 Matt Gratzek, 6-2, 289, SR / 97 Justin Juckem, 6-4, 267, FR
NG 95 Matt Phillips, 6-4, 286, SR / 59 Tyler Gimmestead, 6-2, 288, FR
RE 98 Scott Stoczynski, 6-3, 245, JR / 96 Ricky Hagen, 6-3, 240, SO
WLB 48 Matt Anderson, 6-2, 233, SR / 45 Chad Willson, 5-11, 221, JR
MLB 44 Preston Evans, 5-11, 225, JR / 48 Matt Anderson, 6-2, 233, SR
SLB 56 Brandon Jemison, 6-1, 215, SO / 34 Issaac Kolstad, 6-0, 218, SO
LCB 32 Derrius Colvin, 5-10, 182, SR / 13 Freddie Banks, 5-8½, 179, SR
SS 36 Cyrus Lemon, 5-11, 196, SR / 10 Bobby Ollman, 5-11, 194, SO
RCB 2 Brendin Pierre, 5-9, 163, SO / 4 Josh Gatlin, 6-0, 194, SR
FS ? / ?

The only true freshmen on the two-deep so far are on special teams: Adam Keller (K) and Michael Murphy (LS).

bisontwice
08-08-2010, 12:18 PM
The defense must have greatly improved since we only are playing with 10....

BisonNeil
08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
It is still an enigma to me how they can have Gatlin be second string behind Derrius Colvin. I have serious concerns about the defense actually showing improvement with Colvin on the field.

HandoEX
08-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I am a little surpised to see Gimmestad ahead of Perry, but I will say the coaches had some high praise for "Gimme" yesterday on a couple of nice plays he make.

I am very surpised to see Colvin ahead of Gatlin, Banks, and Williams. That one stands out to me far beyond anything else.

I was hopong to see Sigers get placed on the return team. Hope he gets a shot and soon.

FS has to be 1) Daniel Eaves and 2) Brock Gion.

Hope the Beckius/Andersen battle stays tight and pushes these two to improve. They're both going to see lots of snaps regardless of who starts.

Herd
08-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I think that if DJ is carrying the primary RB load, then you take him off the return game, or you limit him to KR or PR only. Sigers of Williams will probably be handling he return load in 2010.

Kermit
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Leevon Perry is a very talented football player. My guess is that his current spot on the depth chart has more to do with all the time he missed during the spring than with his ability. We actually have 5 DTs who could contribute. I wouldn't be surprised to see Perry become a starter before the year is out.

Gatlin has superior athletic ability. The question with him will be about learning his position. Pierre is going to be a good CB. Colvin has looked like a different player since the spring, and Freddy Banks has been surprisingly effective, too. Then there is Marcus Williams. :) I think the staff will be able to find at least three guys who can get the job done.

Kermit
08-08-2010, 04:59 PM
I think that if DJ is carrying the primary RB load, then you take him off the return game, or you limit him to KR or PR only. Sigers of Williams will probably be handling he return load in 2010.

I completely agree. I was flabbergasted that DJ was listed as the top KR and PR in the depth chart in the paper. FWIW, he has not been among those returning punts in practice. Thursday, it was Howard and Mack. Yesterday, those two were joined by Ryan Smith, Wes Hudson, and another player who I am forgetting right now.

ndsubison1
08-08-2010, 05:16 PM
It is still an enigma to me how they can have Gatlin be second string behind Derrius Colvin. I have serious concerns about the defense actually showing improvement with Colvin on the field.

Agreed. He was slow on getting to the ball and took a lot of bad angles. Hopefully he proves me wrong this season. But I feel Gatlin will be starting vs. Kansas

westnodak93bison
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I completely agree. I was flabbergasted that DJ was listed as the top KR and PR in the depth chart in the paper. FWIW, he has not been among those returning punts in practice. Thursday, it was Howard and Mack. Yesterday, those two were joined by Ryan Smith, Wes Hudson, and another player who I am forgetting right now.

Did you catch Bohl's comment about moving Wesley Hudson to DB? Not sure if he meant safety or CB. He is listed as WR in the gobison.com roster.

Kermit
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Did you catch Bohl's comment about moving Wesley Hudson to DB? Not sure if he meant safety or CB. He is listed as WR in the gobison.com roster.

He has been exclusive a CB in practice. He has been rotating in with the third unit, paired with Marcus Williams.

KCHerd
08-09-2010, 12:15 AM
They should take a look at Christian Dudzik as a return guy. He was deadly in high school with the ball in his hands at Qb or returning kicks

gotts
08-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Has anyone heard anything on Drevlow's injury and where he would fit in when he comes back??

ScooterMN
08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
If the best we have starting at right end is Stoczynski we are F'd. He hasn't seen any meaningful playing time the last two years for a reason. That's a gaping hole on the right side in my opinion.

stevdock
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
So which spots are currently the most up in the air?? By this I'm guessing FS, but also CB and RE. I know RG is also, but I don't think that will matter as much as they will both be playing alot.

Kermit
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
So which spots are currently the most up in the air?? By this I'm guessing FS, but also CB and RE. I know RG is also, but I don't think that will matter as much as they will both be playing alot.

I think Eaves is going to be the free safety. Those other positions are probably tight competitions right now.

HandoEX
08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
These are the tightest battles and who I think will get the nod at each position, or will at least make the biggest impact on the field.

QB...Mohler
TE...Veldman
RG...Beckius
RDE...Hagen
CB...Gatlin
PK...Keller for FGs and Jastram for kickoffs

I don't think there is any doubt that Eaves will start at FS.

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
good to know the free safety position has been taken care of

Kermit
08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
good to know the free safety position has been taken care of

For me, Eaves has a lot to prove this season. His relative security in his position has as much to do with extreme youth and inexperience among the possible alternatives as it does with his own qualities.

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
which terrifies the hell out of me

HerdBot
08-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Leevon Perry is a very talented football player. My guess is that his current spot on the depth chart has more to do with all the time he missed during the spring than with his ability. We actually have 5 DTs who could contribute. I wouldn't be surprised to see Perry become a starter before the year is out.

Gatlin has superior athletic ability. The question with him will be about learning his position. Pierre is going to be a good CB. Colvin has looked like a different player since the spring, and Freddy Banks has been surprisingly effective, too. Then there is Marcus Williams. :) I think the staff will be able to find at least three guys who can get the job done.

Why is Leevon playing at DT? He was a rock star DE in high school and his size is good enough to play at this level. Considering we're stacked at DT and we're thinner at DE, and we just lost Luecke and Westpahl I wouldn't be suprised to see him move back. Stoczynski and Hagen have a lot to prove and Leevon was one of the most highly talked about recruits. Jirik is listed at 215 on the website but 235 here. Hope he's closer to 235 because 215 is way too light for this level.

ndsubison1
08-10-2010, 04:31 AM
I dont know if Perry has the speed

Kermit
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
We are NOT stacked at DT. Both starters (Gratzek and Phillips) are seniors. In the spring we will have only 3 returning scholarship players at DT (Perry, Juckem, Gimmestad) plus walk-on/transfer Mike Schaaf. The team NEEDED Perry and Juckem to play DT. Perry has very good athletic ability (yes, ming01 he can run and he played some RB in high school!)--probably only Gratzek compares among our other DTs.

By contrast we have no seniors at DE. Boyer is a solid starter. Although I'm not yet sold on Stoczynski or Hagen as the second starter, there are four young guys with good potential behind them (Jirik, Drevlow, Luecke, Hardie).

There are also players who are currently deep on the depth chart at other positions (i.e. Kyle Emmanuel at LB or Kevin Vaadeland at TE) who could potentially be good DEs. The only way you could move a player from another positon to DT would be to create a gaping hole in the O-line (Jesse Hinz).

ndsubison1
08-10-2010, 03:59 PM
That is why I wanted us to bring in a juco linemen or two :banghead:

Scooter1
08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
We are NOT stacked at DT. Both starters (Gratzek and Phillips) are seniors. In the spring we will have only 3 returning scholarship players at DT (Perry, Juckem, Gimmestad) plus walk-on/transfer Mike Schaaf. The team NEEDED Perry and Juckem to play DT. Perry has very good athletic ability (yes, ming01 he can run and he played some RB in high school!)--probably only Gratzek compares among our other DTs.

By contrast we have no seniors at DE. Boyer is a solid starter. Although I'm not yet sold on Stoczynski or Hagen as the second starter, there are four young guys with good potential behind them (Jirik, Drevlow, Luecke, Hardie).

There are also players who are currently deep on the depth chart at other positions (i.e. Kyle Emmanuel at LB or Kevin Vaadeland at TE) who could potentially be good DEs. The only way you could move a player from another positon to DT would be to create a gaping hole in the O-line (Jesse Hinz).

Kermit, I agree with you on the DL being thin. But, I disagree that there would be a gaping hole in the o-line if we moved Hinz to DT.

Next year we will have these guys coming back:

Richard (starter)
Lund (starter)
Cornick (starter)
Anderson (starter?)
Beckius (starter?)
Jacobs (will contribute this year)
Jerve (will contribute this year)
Turner
Pomerenke
Schueller

Kermit
08-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Kermit, I agree with you on the DL being thin. But, I disagree that there would be a gaping hole in the o-line if we moved Hinz to DT.

Next year we will have these guys coming back:..

Good point. We ARE building some O-line depth for the future. The coaching staff is very excited about Hinz. He could well be a 3-year starter at center (or guard) and they are seriously considering playing him THIS year.

HerdBot
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Were not stacked at DT but the starters are more proven. Boyer is the only end we have who is tested.

lakesbison
08-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Turner is OL. not DL

AEBison1998
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I was a little surprised they didn't have Gimmestead as an OL and then Hinz as a DL. Just keeping more variety of positions in each class. It sounded like both could have played on either side of the line.

Must be a reason...I just don't know it.

The Lost Dutchman
08-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Jose is going to be on with Hammer around 12:30 tomorrow to talk about the QB competition.

OldBison
08-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Turner is OL. not DL

Nobody said Turner was a DL or should be a DL, duffus. :nod:

westnodak93bison
08-11-2010, 04:26 AM
All this talk of redshirting freshman just to redshirt them is nonsense. Play the best players period the end.