PDA

View Full Version : Will return to Tampa 2 defense make a difference for the Bison

Swany
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Bison defense looks to regain form with return to Tampa 2

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=180

Excerpt: "To say the Bison defense struggled last year would be putting it mildly. The unit ranked near the bottom of nearly every statistical category in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Almost overnight, the Bison defense went from a force to be reckoned with to a force about as dangerous as Betty White."

Will the return to the Tampa 2 defense make a difference?

HandoEX
08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
The only direction to go from here is up :nod:

I think we have the tools at plenty of positions. Can our LBs stay healthy and who's going to step up at safety? We MUST stop the huge plays!

HerdBot
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Bison defense looks to regain form with return to Tampa 2

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=180

Excerpt: "To say the Bison defense struggled last year would be putting it mildly. The unit ranked near the bottom of nearly every statistical category in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Almost overnight, the Bison defense went from a force to be reckoned with to a force about as dangerous as Betty White."

Will the return to the Tampa 2 defense make a difference?

Great article. With our new DE we should be able to generate some pressure from the d line. I bet Evans and Anderson will pick up the old scheme quickly since they played in it before. Boyer, gratzek, and the rest of the guys should have played or practiced in the d a few years ago.

ndsubison1
08-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Didnt you mention Betty White in your last article?

BisoninNWMN
08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
If our front 4 can get a good push up-field consistently and put pressure on the QB, we should do a lot better than last year. Free up the LBers to make plays.

GO BISON

Swany
08-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Nope, went and checked, nothing on Betty White in my previous articles. Although I don't think you can ever get enough Betty White, know what I'm saying? :nod:

I visited with Gratzek today for an upcoming article on the Illustrated's website (check tomorrow). He was "very excited" to be returning to the Tampa 2. Also spoke with Holloway, who had some interesting things to say about the offense and passing attack.

tjbison
08-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Nope, went and checked, nothing on Betty White in my previous articles. Although I don't think you can ever get enough Betty White, know what I'm saying? :nod:

I visited with Gratzek today for an upcoming article on the Illustrated's website (check tomorrow). He was "very excited" to be returning to the Tampa 2. Also spoke with Holloway, who had some interesting things to say about the offense and passing attack.

do we have either of these????

mgbison
08-05-2010, 02:40 AM
I've said it once and i'll say it again. Breske was terrible last year. He just didn't fit in and put the players in a bad position. I was talking to a couple of ex bison safeties after the ysu loss and they said on ysu's last td and 2 pt conversion, our secondary wasn't even lined up correctly. How in the heck can players not be in the correct position in the last game of the year.

In the tampa 2, we will be top four in the conference in defense again. it will be nice to have a cordinator that gives a crap and wants to be here.

SlickVic
08-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Whose betty white? And yea dat defense better be better or we got trouble with a capital t and that rymes with b and that stands for bohl...loil yea I seen the music man and msum the other night now u wanna talk shit or what?

Fightin' Bison
08-05-2010, 05:38 PM
If our front 4 can get a good push up-field consistently and put pressure on the QB, we should do a lot better than last year. Free up the LBers to make plays.

GO BISON

That would have worked last year, too. Last year's players weren't good enough to accomplish that. If this year's players can do it, the D will be more successful. The change in scheme will be a highly overrated factor. You either beat your man, or not.

BisonNeil
08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
That would have worked last year, too. Last year's players weren't good enough to accomplish that. If this year's players can do it, the D will be more successful. The change in scheme will be a highly overrated factor. You either beat your man, or not.

I agree. We definitely need the front four to stay healthy and produce.

The Bison also need to find some depth which was sorely lacking at the DE position last year as opposed to the DTs (Phillips and Taufetee were solid off the bench). In 08 Boyer and Johnson provided superb off the bench support as RFr for Lardinois and Compton. Boyer and Hagen/Stocynski need the same this year from some RFr, and I think it will happen, there is talent there. Lots of it.

Swany
08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
From what I've gathered, we can expect -- somewhere on the defensive side -- to see several redshirts come off.

Here is what could be a real concern on the defensive line with regard to young players stepping up. I recall Coach Bohl, numerous times, explaining that defensive line is probably the toughest position to play a freshmen. He's said in the past that it takes longer to develop a defensive lineman as compared to other positions.

However, with that said, we've seen some young guys in recent years that have played well at that position as freshmen or sophomores. No doubt that Westphal's absence causes depth concerns.

Kermit
08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
From what I've gathered, we can expect -- somewhere on the defensive side -- to see several redshirts come off.

Here is what could be a real concern on the defensive line with regard to young players stepping up. I recall Coach Bohl, numerous times, explaining that defensive line is probably the toughest position to play a freshmen. He's said in the past that it takes longer to develop a defensive lineman as compared to other positions.

However, with that said, we've seen some young guys in recent years that have played well at that position as freshmen or sophomores. No doubt that Westphal's absence causes depth concerns.

We don't need redshirts to come off on the D-line--and that's a good thing because Mike Hardie will be the only true freshman. We had six D-linemen redshirt last season and several of them must be ready to play this year. They include Leevon Perry, Justin Juckem, Tyler Gimmestad, Cole Jirik, Ryan Drevlow, and Danny Luecke. I agree with BisonNeil that there is a TON of talent in that group.

SDbison
08-05-2010, 07:16 PM
We don't need redshirts to come off on the D-line--and that's a good thing because Mike Hardie will be the only true freshman. We had six D-linemen redshirt last season and several of them must be ready to play this year. They include Leevon Perry, Justin Juckem, Tyler Gimmestad, Cole Jirik, Ryan Drevlow, and Danny Luecke. I agree with BisonNeil that there is a TON of talent in that group.
Leevon Perry looks like a monster. I want to see him on the field a lot this year!

bisonhusker
08-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Leevon Perry looks like a monster. I want to see him on the field a lot this year!

The future at DT is really going to be nice with some of these young kids. Perry, Gimme, and Juckem look to be a great foundation.

BisonNeil
08-06-2010, 12:27 AM

Here is what could be a real concern on the defensive line with regard to young players stepping up. I recall Coach Bohl, numerous times, explaining that defensive line is probably the toughest position to play a freshmen.

No doubt Bohl is correct. All I am saying is that some talented RFr have played and contributed as RFr before as Bison. Lardinois, Boyer and Johnson all saw significant time as backups as RFr. Frick, Fairbairn and Gratzek all started at RFr. I really think that Gimmestad, Juckem, Perry, and perhaps others, have a real chance to make an impact as RFr. My guess that after a year in the system and weight room they are as physically ready (as an earlier post I had clearly demonstrated), and perhaps moreso, than the others mentioned. I also think they are likely to be as talented.

But, there is a concern about the DL, I just think it is an opportunity for talented guys to step up. It will make them all that much more dominant in 2011 and beyond.

Tatanka
08-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Whose betty white? And yea dat defense better be better or we got trouble with a capital t and that rymes with b and that stands for bohl...loil yea I seen the music man and msum the other night now u wanna talk shit or what?

:rofl:

Well, for starters I'm looking forward to a defense that doesn't look like Shipoopi on the field.

OtterTailLakeBison
08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen a lot of conversations around Danny Luecke. However, while he may not contribute immediately this year and came as a preferred walkon, I believe he is going to be a beast for the Bison in the coming 4 years.

During the '09 Flood, my wife and I were sandbagging near the Fargo Country Club when a group of about 30 Fargo South students came to assist. There was one student in the group who was clearly the leader. Danny Luecke organized everyone into a line; showed the students how to stack the sand bags; and then worked with us for the rest of the afternoon. He was confident, upbeat, focused, congenial and inspirational to all the students and the adults assisting.

As stated on this board, leadership has been lacking within the football team the past 2 years. In the brief time I was exposed to Danny Luecke, I believe we have a lunchpail guy who is going to continue just getting better and better as a player (think of Lardinois), and predict a future Bison captain in the making.

Kermit
08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen a lot of conversations around Danny Luecke. However, while he may not contribute immediately this year and came as a preferred walkon, I believe he is going to be a beast for the Bison in the coming 4 years.

During the '09 Flood, my wife and I were sandbagging near the Fargo Country Club when a group of about 30 Fargo South students came to assist. There was one student in the group who was clearly the leader. Danny Luecke organized everyone into a line; showed the students how to stack the sand bags; and then worked with us for the rest of the afternoon. He was confident, upbeat, focused, congenial and inspirational to all the students and the adults assisting.

As stated on this board, leadership has been lacking within the football team the past 2 years. In the brief time I was exposed to Danny Luecke, I believe we have a lunchpail guy who is going to continue just getting better and better as a player (think of Lardinois), and predict a future Bison captain in the making.

Great post. I thought from the beginning that Luecke was a very good get for the program as a preferred walk-on. He came in with a recruiting class that included FOUR other scholarship defensive ends--but two of them have been moved to defensive tackle and there are only 3 defensive ends in the soph, jr, and sr classes combined. He has done well so far, and he will eventually earn his way on to the playing field. I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened this year.

tony
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I think the return of knowing your assignment and how to tackle will make a bigger difference than the scheme.

BisonNeil
08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I agree with OTLB and Kermit. Luecke and Drevlow both deserve mention and I did not mean to snub them, I did, after all, say their may be others.

Both Luecke and Drevlow are in the 6' 4-5" range and around 255. Both came in around 238-239 so they have put on roughly 17 lbs of muscle and I think are physically ready as opposed to Jirik who came in highly regarded and on scholarship but has yet to gain a pound in the weight room.

Kermit
08-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I think the return of knowing your assignment and how to tackle will make a bigger difference than the scheme.

Post of the day.

Kermit
08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with OTLB and Kermit. Luecke and Drevlow both deserve mention and I did not mean to snub them, I did, after all, say their may be others.

Both Luecke and Drevlow are in the 6' 4-5" range and around 255. Both came in around 238-239 so they have put on roughly 17 lbs of muscle and I think are physically ready as opposed to Jirik who came in highly regarded and on scholarship but has yet to gain a pound in the weight room.

Call me a skeptic, but is it possible that Jirik's weight just hasn't been updated on the roster for whatever reason?

BisonNeil
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Call me a skeptic, but is it possible that Jirik's weight just hasn't been updated on the roster for whatever reason?

According to the Forum today you are likely correct. They list Jirik ast 235. We need Swany to give the GoBison SI guys a clue.

Herd
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
In watching the Craig Bohl shows 2009, the discussion between Craig and Phil was Tampa 2, Tampa 2, Tampa 2 . . . when talking about the defense. How are we now returning to the Tampa 2?

I understand that we deviated from the standard T2 at times into more of a man defense, but we still were playing Tampa 2 most of the year.

What the hells going on out there! Everyone's grabing and no one is tackling! - Classic Vince

NDSUstudent
08-07-2010, 04:11 PM
In watching the Craig Bohl shows 2009, the discussion between Craig and Phil was Tampa 2, Tampa 2, Tampa 2 . . . when talking about the defense. How are we now returning to the Tampa 2?

I understand that we deviated from the standard T2 at times into more of a man defense, but we still were playing Tampa 2 most of the year.

What the hells going on out there! Everyone's grabing and no one is tackling! - Classic Vince

Our defense last year should just be referred to as a discombobulated 2, it was nothing like years prior. It seemed to me that players were never in the right position.

I swear I heard Bohl say at the end of the year that the team deviated too far away form their Tampa 2 principles.

badger04
08-07-2010, 07:22 PM
It comes down to tackling, tackling and more tacking. Who cares about what defense you are in, it come down to tackling and being in the right place at the time. The Bison did not do either last year,enough said. Bohl can say anything about the Tampa 2 but in football it comes down to blocking and tackling and the Bison again did not do either.