PDA

View Full Version : Open competition at QB

Kermit
08-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Coach Bohl told Dom Izzo that Brock Jensen has a chance to start the opener. There will be an intense competition between Mohler and Jensen in camp.

silkamilkamonico
08-03-2010, 03:46 AM
C'mon Brock! Have a good camp!

KilldeerBison
08-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Coach Bohl told Dom Izzo that Brock Jensen has a chance to start the opener. There will be an intense competition between Mohler and Jensen in camp.

This should be a good thing, I seem to remember that Brock Jensen, out of high school, was really excited when offered to play at NDSU.

lakesbison
08-03-2010, 03:54 AM
JOSE WAS EXCITED TOO!!!

wtf. you guys are something else.

tjbison
08-03-2010, 03:55 AM
Best news from the QB position in Years!!! Competition. for a spot that's a novel Idea

Kermit
08-03-2010, 03:57 AM
This should be a good thing, I seem to remember that Brock Jensen, out of high school, was really excited when offered to play at NDSU.

He was indeed. This is all good. I love Brock's potential, but Jose has some talent, some swagger, and he has won some games. May the best man win!

NDSUstudent
08-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Best news from the QB position in Years!!! Competition. for a spot that's a novel Idea

Yep, good luck to both Jose and Brock. This should only make both better.

TheBisonator
08-03-2010, 03:58 AM
WHAT DID I FREAKIN TELL YOU GUYS MONTHS AGO and I was yelled at. I had a really reliable source who told me Jensen was the coaches favourite. And I was ridiculed by you all.

I feel like I am owed an apology.

56BISON73
08-03-2010, 04:01 AM
WHAT DID I FREAKIN TELL YOU GUYS MONTHS AGO and I was yelled at. I had a really reliable source who told me Jensen was the coaches favourite. And I was ridiculed by you all.

How did you misconstrue any of the above posts to mean that Brock was coaches favorite????

You arent owed shit.:D

ndsubison1
08-03-2010, 04:02 AM

You really didnt tell us anything. We all knew it would be an open competition in fall camp and there would be somewhat of a chance that Jensen could start at Kansas. That also doeesn't necessarily mean he is a coach's favorite. However, I will still predict that Mohler will be the starter for game 1

silkamilkamonico
08-03-2010, 04:04 AM
I thikn if they are even close or the coaches feel Brock can do something this year they will go with Brock because he has a higher growth curve, IMHO.

SDbison
08-03-2010, 04:11 AM
I thikn if they are even close or the coaches feel Brock can do something this year they will go with Brock because he has a higher growth curve, IMHO.
I agree 100% silk.

99Bison
08-03-2010, 05:03 AM

That would be logical, I hope if it comes down to that, that's how it works out.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-03-2010, 06:48 AM

dumbest thing i've ever heard....Brock isn't from ND there's no way he should get the start over Esley Thorton :D

westnodak93bison
08-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Good to hear.

OldBison
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I saw the interview also. I got the feeling Bohl more or less agreed that someone with experience on the field might make a better choice to start against Kansas but THEN emphasized that the fall competition will still be important. Perhaps I misunderstood :paperbag:

Anybody notice that Bohl didn't have the dome very manicured? One would think he could afford professional head shaves since he made >$100,000/victory last season :banghead:

Of course, now that he is married he doesn't have anyone left to impress :blush:

OldBison
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
JOSE WAS EXCITED TOO!!!

wtf. you guys are something else.

I'm sure your man Mertens was also excited. How'd that work out for you :bow:

GradBison
08-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Anybody getting the video to work at http://www.wday.com/pages/archive10

I'm trying to watch the interview from the 10:00 newscast and just get a ring that goes round and round.

Grizzled
08-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I hope all positions are open competition.

Notorious
08-03-2010, 01:27 PM
...he made >$100,000/victory last season..

I'd do it for $50,000/win...and, I'm still "on record" that Brock will be the starter on day 1...

Kermit
08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I hope all positions are open competition.

Of course. I used the phrase "open competition" and I'm not sure that Bohl used that phrase at atll. I think the idea is that at some positions there are clear frontrunners based on past performance, spring football, summer conditioning work, etc. At other positions, two or more players may be considered on relatively even footing at the start of camp. QB might fall into the latter category.

Bohl told Izzo that Mohler probably had a better spring overall than Jensen, but that Jensen came on strong and performed better than Mohler in the final days. I got the idea from the interview that the two quarterbacks are now bunched fairly closely in the eyes of the coaches, and that performance in camp will be critical in determining the opening game starter. Maybe that's not what he meant. OldBison interpreted the same interview a little differently.

NDSU1980
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM

This is good, but it's a year too late. Where was the consideration last year when we needed it?

HandoEX
08-03-2010, 03:12 PM
This is good, but it's a year too late. Where was the consideration last year when we needed it?

Suspended (Mohler) and injured (Perez).

SDbison
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I really believe Brock will step up his level of play, learn the system and become the leader NDSU needs. I hope he earns the starting QB role because if not we know how long it takes for Bohl to change his mind. Just don't want Brock sitting while Mohler gets all sorts of chances. This happening while not even knowing how Brock could do during a game.

Gully
08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I really believe Brock will step up his level of play, learn the system and become the leader NDSU needs. I hope he earns the starting QB role because if not we know how long it takes for Bohl to change his mind. Just don't want Brock sitting while Mohler gets all sorts of chances. This happening while not even knowing how Brock could do during a game.

I share your frustration. I am, however, hoping this year is a new day. I expect more aggressive play calling, less worry about injuries, and a much shorter leash on whoever is the QB. Basically we need to let it all hang out. No reason to play it safe after the last two years.

I'm very high on Brock as well. Whether it's this year or next year I expect great things out of him in a Bison uniform.

Tatanka
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I want whichever QB is going to win us football games NOW. If that's Brock, excellent. If that's Jose, excellent. If that's Dante, excellent. If that's Esley, well, then Bohl better be fired for bringing in three bad QBs.

BisonNeil
08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
God this is fun!! Here we are all arguing about who should be the starting QB, what a change.

Hey guys, we have choices, that's the good news. No one has bitched more about the QB situation and Bohl's lack of recruiting in this area than I have which is why I am thrilled that this discussion is even taking place.

Enjoy! I know I am.

And for the record, I think the job has to be Mohler's given his game experience. I was pleased with his growth over 4 games last year but I think the biggest growth has come with Bohl himself. He changed up his recruiting process and changed coordinators and he fired his special teams coordinator and appointed someone else, and guess what, Polasek happens to be both! Now that is growth, which is why I think if Mohler can't get the job done Bohl will break another mold and he will try another player, something he hasn't done before.

So, it's all good. Life is good and the Bison have 4 quality QBs, embrace it!

DjKyRo
08-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, we have choices, that's the good news. No one has bitched more about the QB situation and Bohl's lack of recruiting in this area than I have which is why I am thrilled that this discussion is even taking place.

QFA!! This is a problem I would've killed to have two years ago.

I really don't think anyone should get PT based on "more potential." If Jose is better than Brock right now, he should start, and the same is true for every other scenario regardless of who it is. The starter RIGHT NOW should be the best player RIGHT NOW and the one that gives us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW.

OrygunBison
08-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Perhaps you could take your apology in the form of a valium.

OrygunBison
08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I really don't think anyone should get PT based on "more potential." If Jose is better than Brock right now, he should start, and the same is true for every other scenario regardless of who it is. The starter RIGHT NOW should be the best player RIGHT NOW and the one that gives us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW.

Yes and no. I think part of our QB problems in the past (during/after the Walker years) stemmed from not getting enough reps to the guys waiting in the wings. Mertens was a complete unknown when he took the first snap, even though there were plenty of good opportunities to get him game time because of our 2nd half cushion. Perhaps he would have been better if he had more experience coming in. Or...perhaps the coaching staff could have recognized earlier that we needed a different QB. Jose was unknown as well. Unfortunately, everything was blowing up around Bohl and he had no other choice by that point.

I think that there is a fine balance between playing the current best guy and prepping your next guy.

HerdBot
08-03-2010, 06:59 PM

I don't care who starts. I want it to be the Guy who gives us the best chance of winning at Kansas. In a perfect world Brock wins and we get a 4 year starter which is every coaches dream. I do know that bohl has made changes over the years pulling Tony Strauss even though he was solid. Last year he made the change. Did he do it to prep for this year or because the fans wanted to make a change? It clearly made no sense to continue to play mertens when we were only playing for pride and next year. I talked to an unnamed offensive player last year after the spring game and he thought Brock was the man but a week later bohl named Jose the starter. My gut says unless Brock is much better in training camp we see Jose start but we could see him get some touches. Its hard to expect a freshman to do well especially against Kansas. I'm just glad to have choices.

SDbison
08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't care who starts. I want it to be the Guy who gives us the best chance of winning at Kansas. In a perfect world Brock wins and we get a 4 year starter which is every coaches dream. I do know that bohl has made changes over the years pulling Tony Strauss even though he was solid. Last year he made the change. Did he do it to prep for this year or because the fans wanted to make a change? It clearly made no sense to continue to play mertens when we were only playing for pride and next year. I talked to an unnamed offensive player last year after the spring game and he thought Brock was the man but a week later bohl named Jose the starter. My gut says unless Brock is much better in training camp we see Jose start but we could see him get some touches. Its hard to expect a freshman to do well especially against Kansas. I'm just glad to have choices.
Wow, what were you smoking? Except for the Montana game Stauss had similar problems like Mertens. Always throwing in front and back of receivers, making bad decisions. Most fans couldn't wait to get Walker in there yet Bohl let Stauss start 2 games after Walker walked on water and almost won the UNC game late in 2nd half (only after Stauss had like 5 interceptions). Many fans don't trust Bohl on QB decisions. He fails to get an good evaluation and then sticks with a QB too long just because a kid starts once. Case in point Stauss and Mertens.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-03-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sure your man Mertens was also excited. How'd that work out for you :bow:

Why do people keep bringing this up seriously get over it Mertens IS GONE!

NDSUFan_Sav
08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

What if Mohler leads us to the playoffs then what?

NDSU1980
08-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Suspended (Mohler) and injured (Perez).

I'm well aware of that. We needed someone to step at all points along the first 7 games. Mohler should have gotten far more time against Wagner and then a fair evaluation could have been made. I have no doubt that Jose could have done better starting with game 4.

NDSU1980
08-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it..

Sorry, but you are not going to rehabilitate Mertens rep by getting us to forget about him.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it..

Sorry, but you are not going to rehabilitate Mertens rep by getting us to forget about him.

I'm not trying to help mertens out but people attack lakes all the time about it and it gets really old and when he does stuff he gets banned or watched carefully a lot of people attack lakes stuff gets annoying and old I'm not trying to make mertens look good

DjKyRo
08-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes and no. I think part of our QB problems in the past (during/after the Walker years) stemmed from not getting enough reps to the guys waiting in the wings. Mertens was a complete unknown when he took the first snap, even though there were plenty of good opportunities to get him game time because of our 2nd half cushion. Perhaps he would have been better if he had more experience coming in. Or...perhaps the coaching staff could have recognized earlier that we needed a different QB. Jose was unknown as well. Unfortunately, everything was blowing up around Bohl and he had no other choice by that point.

I think that there is a fine balance between playing the current best guy and prepping your next guy.

I agree that experience is important, but that experience probably shouldn't take the form of starting at the 1st game of the year on the road at an FBS school.

Minneapolis Jack
08-04-2010, 01:21 AM

Yeah, don't you guys remember. MERTENS 08, 09, JOSE 10, 11, 12... NO WORRIES!!!!

SDbison
08-04-2010, 03:45 AM
What if Mohler leads us to the playoffs then what?
With Mohlers past drinking / discipline problem, the fact Mohler is quite small and Jensen caught up to him this fast make me concerned. Remember, due to Bohl's mishandling of recruiting QB's Mohler was the only real option at the end of last year. And of course Bohl hung on to Mertens way too long.
I guess I don't have any confidence that Mohler is anything better than an average QB. That won't get NDSU into the playoffs.
I might ask why you are so infatuated with Mohler?

NDSUstudent
08-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Mohler did have a nice game against YSU, he also battled through an injury in a few games. I also remember that the MSU coach thought highly of him. Not saying he is all-world but I definitely think he can be a solid QB.

Jensen probably has a higher ceiling but I'll take experience over potential if we are talking who is going to start in game one.

Herd
08-04-2010, 04:03 AM
What does Dante Perez bring to the table? I am assuming that he is our best running option at QB, but not the passer that Jensen and Mohler are. He appears to be more physical than Mohler, but not your classic big armed passer due to his stature.

I am surprised that he is not even in the discussion at this point.

DjKyRo
08-04-2010, 04:21 AM
He's a good passer, but his height is such a liability - like I posted a few times, at least once every practice he got a pass blocked by a lineman and that vertical challenge opened up a few picks for the defense (a la the Spring Game). He has the potential to be a really good quarterback and I'm sure that if he were just two inches taller he would've gone higher than NDSU. He's a great option but at the moment I think Mohler and Jensen both have more to offer.

4mcruenomore
08-04-2010, 04:45 AM
This year is a gimme, I know who will start next year, easy.

AEBison1998
08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm hoping to see some triple option plays for perez. He is a threat to run or pass...or receive a pass.

aces1180
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM

So you are saying that if Jose, Dante or Brock leads the team to a 9-2 record, they are going to start a RS-freshman? Hahahaha!

I think I would wait until THIS season is over before we start speculating who the starting QB will be in 2011.

WYOBISONMAN
08-04-2010, 01:35 PM
We need a Favre at QB......not a T-Jack! That is all I will say.

silkamilkamonico
08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
So you are saying that if Jose, Dante or Brock leads the team to a 9-2 record, they are going to start a RS-freshman? Hahahaha!

I think I would wait until THIS season is over before we start speculating who the starting QB will be in 2011.

He'll change his tune next year too, just like he did this year.

DjKyRo
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Welcome back 4m!

A1pigskin
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
May the best man win. I just want one that will get r done.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-06-2010, 06:57 AM
With Mohlers past drinking / discipline problem, the fact Mohler is quite small and Jensen caught up to him this fast make me concerned. Remember, due to Bohl's mishandling of recruiting QB's Mohler was the only real option at the end of last year. And of course Bohl hung on to Mertens way too long.
I guess I don't have any confidence that Mohler is anything better than an average QB. That won't get NDSU into the playoffs.
I might ask why you are so infatuated with Mohler?

From what he did last year was a step up from Mertens and being I went to practices last spring Mohler had a better spring the the others....Jensen wasn't far behind but you could see some young mistakes from him once and a while. For Kansas I'd go with Mohler and if things don't work out after the first 2-3 weeks then I'd try a change or possibly play both QBs here and there in different situations...who knows. I like both QBs and it seems everyone is basing on Jensen over Mohler just of the Spring game. Mohler wasn't that bad during that game and I agree Jensen looked better, but attending most the practices you could tell Mohler had a better spring.

bisonmike2
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
From what he did last year was a step up from Mertens and being I went to practices last spring Mohler had a better spring the the others....Jensen wasn't far behind but you could see some young mistakes from him once and a while. For Kansas I'd go with Mohler and if things don't work out after the first 2-3 weeks then I'd try a change or possibly play both QBs here and there in different situations...who knows. I like both QBs and it seems everyone is basing on Jensen over Mohler just of the Spring game. Mohler wasn't that bad during that game and I agree Jensen looked better, but attending most the practices you could tell Mohler had a better spring.

I agree with this statement, but I have little faith that the coaching staff is capable of doing this. They tend to make a personnel decision then run it into the ground before making a change.

Grizzled
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
What happens if we put Jensen in and it goes the other way? If he struggles and we bench him can we than go back to the young qb that we benched already? Do we put in the golden boy from Bismarck? Or do we just stick with Jensen since he has already been annointed the coming since he had a good spring game? Its a tough decision by the coaching staff but I say its Mohlers job to lose. He played pretty well last year and was the most consistent throughout the spring from what I watched. I think all these kids understand being benched but you mess with the flow of the offense if we have to switch up qb's. I say pick the one out of fall camp that gives the team the best chance to win and go with him. They are all young enough and will only benefit from the experience.

Herd
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I went back and watched Mohler at the end of 2009, and I really like the combination of his throwing and his legs. I'd like to see Mohler given the job and see Jose develop his leadership ability.

Whether is Mohler or Jensen, having a quick hook is not going to be good for our program as they guys try to develop confidence and leadership ability. I think Jose should be given the opportunity to start out with in 2010.

HandoEX
08-06-2010, 01:54 PM

I would have rated the QB's overall performance at spring practice as Mohler --> Perez --> Jensen. I thought the gap between Perez and Jensen was larger than the gap between Mohler and Perez. It'll be fun to see how each has progressed this summer!

No_Skill
08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I went back and watched Mohler at the end of 2009, and I really like the combination of his throwing and his legs. I'd like to see Mohler given the job and see Jose develop his leadership ability.

Whether is Mohler or Jensen, having a quick hook is not going to be good for our program as they guys try to develop confidence and leadership ability. I think Jose should be given the opportunity to start out with in 2010.

Plus, it's fun to chant...joseeeee, jose, jose, jose...jose, jose

KTF
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Grizzled

I suggest that the coaches start the QB that has NOT been officially labeled as "the annoited one" by Lakesbison...Should have instant success then... ;-)

Herd
08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I am confident that Lakes will not factor into the 2010 QB decision.

Notorious
08-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I am confident that Lakes will not factor into the 2010 QB decision.

I think you will be surprised!

My take is that "they" want Jensen to emerge as the starter. If "they" were sold on Mohler, "they" wouldn't have gone on the record saying it's an even battle and anyone's job. He would've been named the starter for many, many reasons...

I've seen these things before...the groundwork is being laid for Jensen to be named the starter.

Any bets?

Bison101
08-06-2010, 02:38 PM

My take is that "they" want Jensen to emerge as the starter. If "they" were sold on Mohler, "they" wouldn't have gone on the record saying it's an even battle and anyone's job. He would've been named the starter for many, many reasons...

I've seen these things before...the groundwork is being laid for Jensen to be named the starter.

Any bets?

8-5 Jensen.

HandoEX
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Any bets?

I'd put up a crisp Lincoln that Mohler will start the season.

Notorious
08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd put up a crisp Lincoln that Mohler will start the season.

Calling my bluff?...sh*t!!!

I'll go no higher than 5 George Washingtons. It's a bet!

Kermit
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I would have rated the QB's overall performance at spring practice as Mohler --> Perez --> Jensen. I thought the gap between Perez and Jensen was larger than the gap between Mohler and Perez. It'll be fun to see how each has progressed this summer!

Hando, I greatly respect your opinions, but I disagree here. I agree with what Bohl said in a WDAY interview that aired Wednesday night: Mohler was a little better overall in the spring, but Jensen came on strong and was the best in the late going. Perez was third, but in Dante's defense he was handicapped by an ankle injury which neutralized his greatest strength.

Going into the spring, I would have bet that Jensen was going to win the job. His combination of physical tools and intangibles give him the highest upside. But Brock got off to a very slow start in the spring. For awhile, he did indeed look like the third best. In the last two weeks, he improved markedly, and he capped that off with an outstanding performance in the spring game (he was clearly the best QB on that day, in my opinion). Is he the kind of player who will perform better in game situations, ala Steve Walker?

Mohler has some game experience and he has performed quite well on the field. He is confident and talented, but he doesn't have Jensen's size and strength, and while it looks like he has matured as a person, his past behaviors still leave a question about his leadership in the back of my mind. He got off to an excellent start in the spring, but threw some bad interceptions in the last scrimmage and in the spring game.

Perez still hasn't really had the opportunity to show what he can do. He has very quick feet, and by all accounts a very strong character. He looks like an accurate passer at times, but I've seen too many of his passes batted down at the line. His short stature will probably require him to get out of the pocket in order to throw effectively.

Performances in the next couple of weeks will determine the starter.

HandoEX
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Hando, I greatly respect your opinions, but I disagree here. I agree with what Bohl said in a WDAY interview that aired Wednesday night: Mohler was a little better overall in the spring, but Jensen came on strong and was the best in the late going. Perez was third, but in Dante's defense he was handicapped by an ankle injury which neutralized his greatest strength.

Going into the spring, I would have bet that Jensen was going to win the job. His combination of physical tools and intangibles give him the highest upside. But Brock got off to a very slow start in the spring. For awhile, he did indeed look like the third best. In the last two weeks, he improved markedly, and he capped that off with an outstanding performance in the spring game (he was clearly the best QB on that day, in my opinion). Is he the kind of player who will perform better in game situations, ala Steve Walker?

Mohler has some game experience and he has performed quite well on the field. He is confident and talented, but he doesn't have Jensen's size and strength, and while it looks like he has matured as a person, his past behaviors still leave a question about his leadership in the back of my mind. He got off to an excellent start in the spring, but threw some bad interceptions in the last scrimmage and in the spring game.

Perez still hasn't really had the opportunity to show what he can do. He has very quick feet, and by all accounts a very strong character. He looks like an accurate passer at times, but I've seen too many of his passes batted down at the line. His short stature will probably require him to get out of the pocket in order to throw effectively.

Performances in the next couple of weeks will determine the starter.

I didn't make it to as many late spring practices as I would have liked so I didn't see the improvement from Jensen in practice that you saw. I will definately agree that he looked very solid in the spring game and I won't argue that he is physically a cut above Mohler and Perez. He has all the tools to succeed and he will! I also think Mohler could be a very good QB for the Bison. I just love his swagger out on the field. He is the unquestioned leader of the huddle from what I can tell. I think that goes a long ways. Perez looked great at times at the practices that I saw, but the side armed delivery he reverts to won't work when you're a 5'9 QB.

I still think Mohler will start, but that does not mean I think he's the best option, if you know what I mean;)

lakesbison
08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Mohler was the #2 QB in the San Diego area and California is tha BOMB for football QB's. Brock is a great guy , but Jose will be you starter cuz with our O line, we are gonna need a scrambler vs KANSAS & UNI!

silkamilkamonico
08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Jensen has more upside, and has quickly closed the gap with Mohler, otherwise Bohl wouldn't be questioning this heading in to fall camp.

Jensen will beat out Mohler in a tough battle and start at Kansas, and never look back. And IMHO, NDSU will also be better off in the long run too.

Kermit
08-06-2010, 04:39 PM
It's all good. The Bison have 3 viable QB options for this season, and a 4th under development. When's the last time we could say THAT?

silkamilkamonico
08-06-2010, 04:49 PM
It's all good. The Bison have 3 viable QB options for this season, and a 4th under development. When's the last time we could say THAT?

There's a part of me that's really hoping it's not the offense. The passing was very good under Walker, but Walker was an excepional player that made things happen, and is an exception to any rule.

The passing game looked very in flux under Mertens, and IMHO it wasn't any better whatsoever with Mohler. Mohler gets the benefit of the doubt because he was inexperienced, but I remain uneasy about it because there wasn't exactly a light at the end of the tunnel in the passing game during spring time.

IMHO this fall will be a huge telling point on how effective our passing offense will be under Bohl, with the exception of another Steve Walker coming along.

BisonNeil
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM

What he said.

BisonNeil
08-06-2010, 05:56 PM
IMHO this fall will be a huge telling point on how effective our passing offense will be under Vigen

There, fixed it for you.

Greenie
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
We need a QB who can (1) protect the ball from INTs (2) cause defenses to respect the pass to allow the RBs to excel, and (3) complete passes at a high percentage to move the chains. This is exactly why Walker was so successful.

Although he was a FR last year, Jose seemed to take too many chances and that won't work in this offense. Unless he fixes that, he will be passed by Jensen. Whoever protects the ball the most, will win.

westnodak93bison
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Which QB is better at play action? I only saw the three QBs play in the spring game. Correct me if I'm wrong but with Walker at QB it seemed really hard to tell if the play was gonna be a run or pass but the last couple years it seemed obvious when it was run or pass.

HandoEX
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
We need a QB who can (1) protect the ball from INTs (2) cause defenses to respect the pass to allow the RBs to excel, and (3) complete passes at a high percentage to move the chains. This is exactly why Walker was so successful.

Although he was a FR last year, Jose seemed to take too many chances and that won't work in this offense. Unless he fixes that, he will be passed by Jensen. Whoever protects the ball the most, will win.

Well put. I think the QB with the most compusure should win the job. How many games did Walker win by staying cool at the end of games when we needed him and how many times did Mertens crumble under the pressure and end a game with an INT? Plenty and plenty.

Kermit
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
IMHO this fall will be a huge telling point on how effective our passing offense will be under Bohl, with the exception of another Steve Walker coming along.

Good point. I also agree with BisonNeil that Vigen is still an unproven commodity as an offensive coordinator. The running game has been excellent, but the passing offense has been poor. I'd like to blame it all on personnel deficiencies the past couple years, but it remains to be seen if that is accurate.

Kermit
08-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Which QB is better at play action? I only saw the three QBs play in the spring game. Correct me if I'm wrong but with Walker at QB it seemed really hard to tell if the play was gonna be a run or pass but the last couple years it seemed obvious when it was run or pass.

For whatever reason, the offense has been very predictable. The Bison use a LOT of different personnel combinations and sets--but I sometimes wonder if the substitutions are "tells" for the opponent. Sometimes I'd like to see the offense run a few plays at a high tempo without substituting. Get the d**n play in , get up to the line and go!

NDSU1980
08-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Any bets?

I'm sure Bohl will bend over backwards to get Jensen in there instead of Jose. Just think, if Jose goes out there and starts smoking passes and winning games, Bohl is going to like an even bigger fool then he already is. Everyone is really going to wonder why Jose didn't play a lot more and a lot sooner last year.

My money says Bohl finds a way to pump up Jensen no matter what.

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Who is this 4th QB that you speak of?
Is he a local kid?:hide:

semobison
08-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Do you really think Bohl would worry about looking like a fool if Mohler is successful, and would he bench him in place of Jensen to keep from looking that way. If so, we need a new coach!

Herd
08-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm sure Bohl will bend over backwards to get Jensen in there instead of Jose. Just think, if Jose goes out there and starts smoking passes and winning games, Bohl is going to like an even bigger fool then he already is. Everyone is really going to wonder why Jose didn't play a lot more and a lot sooner last year.

My money says Bohl finds a way to pump up Jensen no matter what.

I agree, I'm not real confident and Bohl's judgement with regard to QBs. Bohl should ask his OC and staff who should play, and say OK then, he'll play.

NDSUstudent
08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Considering Mohler's track record it should be no surprise that Bohl went slowly in giving him the reigns of the offense. I think that was to Jose's benefit even if it might have been better for the team to try something earlier.

I still think the progression in the last four games is something not a lot of people here took notice of. Jose really had a great game vs YSU and he managed the game well vs ISU Blue. He seemed a bit wide-eyed against MSU, but even then their coach really thought NDSU has something in Jose.

I feel like lakes in pumping up Jose, but the guy isn't exactly chopped liver. We haven't been this deep at QB for sometime.

westnodak93bison
08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Considering Mohler's track record it should be no surprise that Bohl went slowly in giving him the reigns of the offense. I think that was to Jose's benefit even if it might have been better for the team to try something earlier.

I still think the progression in the last four games is something not a lot of people here took notice of. Jose really had a great game vs YSU and he managed the game well vs ISU Blue. He seemed a bit wide-eyed against MSU, but even then their coach really thought NDSU has something in Jose.

I feel like lakes in pumping up Jose, but the guy isn't exactly chopped liver. We haven't been this deep at QB for sometime.

Lakes pumps up certain players and sticks with them till the bitter end.

A1pigskin
08-07-2010, 09:45 PM
This is a good position to be in.

sambini
08-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Competition makes everyone better.

4mcruenomore
08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Bohl had a little piece on Thorton on the bismarck news the other night. Nothing but good things to say fyi

NDSUFan_Sav
08-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Bohl had a little piece on Thorton on the bismarck news the other night. Nothing but good things to say fyi

We all know he's a good kid and has good talent, but he will be have a redshirt this year.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-08-2010, 02:30 AM
For how much you talk about Esley do you have a life size picture of him above your bed?

Tatanka
08-08-2010, 02:44 AM
For how much you talk about Esley do you have a life size picture of him above your bed?

http://www.fathead.com/custom/

4mcruenomore
08-08-2010, 02:57 AM
for all the negative comments I get on this site, it's amazing.

4mcruenomore
08-08-2010, 03:00 AM
what? speak english, not SDSU talk

but he will be have a redshirt this year.

Scooter1
08-08-2010, 03:57 AM

Seriously, what the heck do you expect Bohl to say about a kid after practice #2 of his college career? It's good PR to do a little fluff piece for the home town folks who are following a local kid excited about being a Bison.

What did you want him to say?

Bismarck press: "Coach Bohl, how is that Bismarck QB doing?"

Coach Bohl: "He'll be a fine practice squad QB for us this year."

Now, you guys don't want to hear that.

4mcruenomore
08-08-2010, 04:08 AM
There is so much hostility on this website lately, I was just commenting. Easy

unbison
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I heard a story on esley thorton the other day..... in one pop warner game he had every yard of offense and all but 2 tackles on defense how can we not start him at qb

silkamilkamonico
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Seriously, what the heck do you expect Bohl to say about a kid after practice #2 of his college career? It's good PR to do a little fluff piece for the home town folks who are following a local kid excited about being a Bison.

What did you want him to say?

Bismarck press: "Coach Bohl, how is that Bismarck QB doing?"

Coach Bohl: "He'll be a fine practice squad QB for us this year."

Now, you guys don't want to hear that.

I think some Bismarck fans are sweating the QB competition this year, because they know if Brock Jensen wins the starting job and has a very good year, their boy will either have to move to S, or sit for the next 4 years.

I would be happy with that because it just means that NDSu found their QB!

Kermit
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I think some Bismarck fans are sweating the QB competition this year, because they know if Brock Jensen wins the starting job and has a very good year, their boy will either have to move to S, or sit for the next 4 years.

I would be happy with that because it just means that NDSu found their QB!

Silk, you may be right (and the rest of my comments are NOT specifically directed at you), but the silly arguments about Thorton on this site (super hero or hopeless smalltown hick?) have really been outlandish. I wish people would just give Esley a chance to succeed or fail on his own merits.

None of us are completely objective, and I certainly am not. FWIW, I see Thorton as a kid who definitely needs to redshirt, but who has a lot of qualities that COULD make him the Bison QB of the future. I honestly think that he has looked a little better in early season practices than either Mohler or Jensen did when they arrived on campus. It is entirely possible that Jose or Brock will be the starting QB for years to come, and Esley may never be more than a backup or he may move to a different position. However, he IS a damn fine prospect who deserves to have his career at NDSU determined by his own merits (or lack thereof). PLEASE, let's collectively try to turn the drama dial down a couple of notches.

westnodak93bison
08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Silk, you may be right (and the rest of my comments are NOT specifically directed at you), but the silly arguments about Thorton on this site (super hero or hopeless smalltown hick?) have really been outlandish. I wish people would just give Esley a chance to succeed or fail on his own merits.

None of us are completely objective, and I certainly am not. FWIW, I see Thorton as a kid who definitely needs to redshirt, but who has a lot of qualities that COULD make him the Bison QB of the future. I honestly think that he has looked a little better in early season practices than either Mohler or Jensen did when they arrived on campus. It is entirely possible that Jose or Brock will be the starting QB for years to come, and Esley may never be more than a backup or he may move to a different position. However, he IS a damn fine prospect who deserves to have his career at NDSU determined by his own merits (or lack thereof). PLEASE, let's collectively try to turn the drama dial down a couple of notches.

Good post. Let the chips fall where they may.

silkamilkamonico
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM

I agree. I try and take a neutral approach and aggravate both sides, because it sucks having to sit and listen to guys like 4mCrue blindly attack the other QB's just to try and make a point about his toy Esley, and in trun others get upset on seeing that, and then retaliate by attacking Esley for the sole purpose of upsetting 4mcrue.

I'm certainly no exception, and direct this at myself as well when I say it's real unfortunate that the players get caught in the middle of the war on favorite vs. favorite.

ndsubison1
08-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Amen! I dont think it's fair to Esley at all to make little puns at him (although I know nobody means it) just because somebody is a huge fan of the guy. Maybe it's one thing to poke fun of somebody who made a bad choice and may not be on the team anymore, but Esley really hasnt done anything to deserve it. It gets old and it's just not fair to the kid at all.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
There is so much hostility on this website lately, I was just commenting. Easy

if you would talk about our other recruits or anything else but ND/Esley then you might not get shit for it.

sambini
08-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Well said Remember Once a Bison Always a Bison++++++++

DjKyRo
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
FWIW, I think any QB deserves a look and the consideration that they could contend for the "QB of the future" job. All four of our QBs on campus right now have great qualities about them and I think Thorton's going to be a good get for the Bison, however that might happen. I've played against him and know he's fot the head of a good football player, and while I'm not going to brand him (or any rookie) a hero just yet I'm stoked we picked him up. First and foremostly, he's a good football player, but from a more big-picture perspective we need to get the top recruits in North Dakota every year - you get guys like Qvale who are absolute beasts or guys like Ryan Smith who maybe aren't going to be high-impact players (not to say Smith doesn't have that potential) but either way it's good PR for the state and it's important to stay connected to our western ND fanbase (I'm looking at you, 4m :)).

Also, I sacked Esley Thorton once so if he becomes the Bison Quarterback of the Future I look awesome by association. :D

THEsocalledfan
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
We haven't been this deep at QB for sometime.

I like the enthusiasm, but actually having QB's on the roster does not make make a team "deep" at the position.....

To recap, we have a total of 1 player with any kind of playing experience and he is not proven.

Harsh statement, yes, but honest.

DjKyRo
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I like the enthusiasm, but actually having QB's on the roster does not make make a team "deep" at the position.....

To recap, we have a total of 1 player with any kind of playing experience and he is not proven.

Harsh statement, yes, but honest.

Is that one player Mohler or Perez? ;)

ndsubison1
08-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Well we def. have more options at QB then the past 2 seasons but I agree it doesnt necessarily mean we're deep there as we dont know how Jensen and Perez will pan out.

SDbison
08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Well we def. have more options at QB then the past 2 seasons but I agree it doesnt necessarily mean we're deep there as we dont know how Jensen and Perez will pan out.
I still say Jensen is the real deal. Mohler is just OK. Perez is too small. I will even say Thorton might move up the depth chart before the year is over.

EndZoneQB
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I still say Jensen is the real deal. Mohler is just OK. Perez is too small. I will even say Thorton might move up the depth chart before the year is over.

I agree. I think Mohler is good enough to get us into the playoffs tho, and Jensen will eventually take the reigns. I haven't seen Thorton much, but from watching Perez move around, Thorton is going to have to be pretty special to move past him. I think we need to get Perez involved somehow(if he wants to that is), he has a ton of athletic ability.

bisoningrandforks
08-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I agree with you SDbison!!!!..

SDbison
08-10-2010, 12:36 AM
I agree. I think Mohler is good enough to get us into the playoffs tho, and Jensen will eventually take the reigns. I haven't seen Thorton much, but from watching Perez move around, Thorton is going to have to be pretty special to move past him. I think we need to get Perez involved somehow(if he wants to that is), he has a ton of athletic ability.
When I say OK, I mean Mohler might be good enough to get the Bison a bit above .500. Playoffs are very questionable with Mohler because he has not proven anything. In my view he is nothing special to this point. Don't get where some of you think Mohler is the second coming?
And take note, the rest of the team will have a lot to do with how much the 2010 Bison will accomplish.

BisonNeil
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM

I have always thought a real run/throw threat would open things up and give the opposing defenses something else to plan for which takes time away from them scheming against the total Bison offense, something like a wildcat formation (wild buffalo?).

EndZoneQB
08-10-2010, 01:16 AM
When I say OK, I mean Mohler might be good enough to get the Bison a bit above .500. Playoffs are very questionable with Mohler because he has not proven anything. In my view he is nothing special to this point. Don't get where some of you think Mohler is the second coming?
And take note, the rest of the team will have a lot to do with how much the 2010 Bison will accomplish.

Hold up, I never said he was the second coming. I like his ability to move around a little bit, and it seems like he has a decent arm. 7-4 to me is a "bit" over .500, and likely good enough for the players(other factors obviously). Second coming=10-1 and a national championship birth.

DjKyRo
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Hold up, I never said he was the second coming. I like his ability to move around a little bit, and it seems like he has a decent arm. 7-4 to me is a "bit" over .500, and likely good enough for the players(other factors obviously). Second coming=10-1 and a national championship birth.

Seconded. I don't see how supporting him means anyone's labeling him as the Bison QB of the future. For what it works I think he's a good football player and will do well for us - I don't think putting Jensen in would get us much better or worse and Mohler's got the experience that, as has been said, would give him the edge in a gametime situation.

THEsocalledfan
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I am sorry if this has already been said, but I worry mightily about Mohlers height. It is hard to be successful at this level when you can't see over the line of scrimmage. Their are exceptions (like Fluttie), but they are rare. It is nice to have a QB who is at least 6' 2" and preferrably at least 6' 4". What are the heights of these guys?

NDSUstudent
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Mohler 6-0
Jensen 6-3
Thorton 6-3
Perez 5-9

NDSU1980
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Mohler 6-0
Jensen 6-3
Thorton 6-3
Perez 5-9

Seems to me that Mertens was several inches taller then Walker. We need a complete athlete, not just height.

steelbison
08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I am sorry if this has already been said, but I worry mightily about Mohlers height. It is hard to be successful at this level when you can't see over the line of scrimmage. Their are exceptions (like Fluttie), but they are rare. It is nice to have a QB who is at least 6' 2" and preferrably at least 6' 4". What are the heights of these guys?

Apparently you didn't watch Steve Walker play QB. Seemed to do OK. Or was he too short?:banghead:

THEsocalledfan
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Apparently you didn't watch Steve Walker play QB. Seemed to do OK. Or was he too short?:banghead:

Exceptions are granted. Take a look around and you will see most QB's are taller than 6'. Do you homework before banging your head in the wall; it is less painful.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-10-2010, 03:28 PM

I don't think he is the 2nd coming but I think he can do some nice things......if mohler is unproven what does that make the 3 other qbs? you say he is nothing special to this point because you want to see Jensen take over.....why? I'm glad we got both mohler and Jensen if one doesn't work out hopefully the other one does

bisonmike2
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm not too concerned about height. What we need is an athletic kid who can move around to create opportunities. He's also got to make good decisions with the ball. At this level height's a little overrated.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
a little joke

4mcrue is to EsleyThorton as SDBison is to Brock Jensen

Kermit
08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
a little joke

4mcrue is to EsleyThorton as SDBison is to Brock Jensen

There is a big important difference. Brock Jensen had an outstanding performance in the spring football game. I don't see how a Bison fan could have watched what Brock did on that day without thinking that he was a serious contender to be the starting QB.

Scooter1
08-10-2010, 04:21 PM
a little joke

4mcrue is to EsleyThorton as SDBison is to BEER (if one could stalk beer)

Fixed it for you.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
There is a big important difference. Brock Jensen had an outstanding performance in the spring football game. I don't see how a Bison fan could have watched what Brock did on that day without thinking that he was a serious contender to be the starting QB.

hahahaha I was just jokinkg around like I said I'm glad we have both qbs. what brock did in the spring game was very nice its also hard to tell if he can do that in regular games being he went against that defense all spring....I think he would do well in games but still hard to say. if your a coach and you start Jensen and he doesn't work out then you turn to mohler and said he didn't work out I think that would look worse then starting mohler then putting in Jensen if that doesn't pan out

NDSUFan_Sav
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM

also in 4mcrue's mind Esley is already the starter

SDbison
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't think he is the 2nd coming but I think he can do some nice things......if mohler is unproven what does that make the 3 other qbs? you say he is nothing special to this point because you want to see Jensen take over.....why? I'm glad we got both mohler and Jensen if one doesn't work out hopefully the other one does
Because even if Jensen is better in practice Bohl will stick with whoever is starting.......ooooo, we won 1 game out of 3 in conference lets see if the kid can improve on that. Look how long it took for Bohl to yank Mertens, same for Stauss. He still put Stauss back in even after Walker nearly saved the day at UNC. I have no faith in Bohl's judgement of QB's. Pull a kid when he sucks in a game and let the other QB prove he is better against the same opponent. Remember at SDSU last year.......Bohl had Mohler pacing the sidelines like he was going to pull Mertens, but ended up staying with Mertens and lost, again.

SDbison
08-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Exceptions are granted. Take a look around and you will see most QB's are taller than 6'. Do you homework before banging your head in the wall; it is less painful.
Walker walked on water and got the job done at whatever height. Remember how he moved in the pocket to avoid rushers and set up to make a comfortable pass. Just watch the SHSU last couple plays. Mohler is not that smooth or that comfortable. Walker was that from day one at UNC when he was thrown into the lions den. He eluded rushers and made plays that first game just like he did the rest of his career.
Jensen's spring game performance on a badly sprained ankle was impressive and to me means more than the sucky end of last year when Mohler became the default QB. Jensen is big, tough, can execute and has the character / leadership this team needs. He is a winner in my book.

SDbison
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
hahahaha I was just jokinkg around like I said I'm glad we have both qbs. what brock did in the spring game was very nice its also hard to tell if he can do that in regular games being he went against that defense all spring....I think he would do well in games but still hard to say. if your a coach and you start Jensen and he doesn't work out then you turn to mohler and said he didn't work out I think that would look worse then starting mohler then putting in Jensen if that doesn't pan out
Mohler better be clearly better than Jensen in practice to keep his starting position. If tied I would say let Jensen take the reigns from the start if he is confident and performing well.

THEsocalledfan
08-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Mohler better be clearly better than Jensen in practice to keep his starting position. If tied I would say let Jensen take the reigns from the start if he is confident and performing well.

I would completely agree with this. If he struggles, you can go back to Mohler. That would match the SDbison mantra.

TheBisonator
08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
The thing that worries me about Mohler... 176 pounds. Jensen is at 220, and he seems like he'd be able to elude sacks from at least the CB blitz and whatnot. (little 160 pound CBs) Maybe I'm wrong about that, but even at 6 feet, Mohler is a decent height, but 176 pounds?? Sheesh...

NDSU1980
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I would completely agree with this. If he struggles, you can go back to Mohler. That would match the SDbison mantra.

Why do we keep saying to Jose "When no one else can play, then you get to go in"? Jose suffered through 18 agonizing games watching Mertens choke. (Even when Mertens won it was ugly).

The real tragedy was that Mohler didn't play much more last year. He should have been in for multiple series's in every game starting with Wagner. Then we'd know for sure how he is. For now, I feel he's earned the starting spot.

What is really sad is I had hoped we could all unite behind on guy like we did with Walker, rather then fighting about who should quarterback like we did with Mertens.

THEsocalledfan
08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Why do we keep saying to Jose "When no one else can play, then you get to go in"? Jose suffered through 18 agonizing games watching Mertens choke. (Even when Mertens won it was ugly).

The real tragedy was that Mohler didn't play much more last year. He should have been in for multiple series's in every game starting with Wagner. Then we'd know for sure how he is. For now, I feel he's earned the starting spot.

What is really sad is I had hoped we could all unite behind on guy like we did with Walker, rather then fighting about who should quarterback like we did with Mertens.

You forgot to mention that those who defended Mertens were blatantly wrong (see a certain gentleman from Lakes Country in MN....). Further, please read what SDbison said. How has Jose earned anything at this point? Bohl's indecision leading to him watching Mertens choke is irrelevent.

Tatanka
08-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Not trying to be a dink here, but Mohler's biggest enemy and the reason he didn't play much more last year was....

...wait for it...

Jose Mohler. It's a whole different ballgame if he stays clean and puts himself in a position to lead rather than how he behaved. Just sayin'.

NDSU1980
08-11-2010, 03:30 AM
How has Jose earned anything at this point? Bohl's indecision leading to him watching Mertens choke is irrelevent.

Mohler won twice as many games as Mertens did last year. Jose looked head and shoulders above Mertens last year, and more importantly, Jose gave us a reason to cheer again. Just the fact that he lifted moral last year means a lot.

And yes, I realized Jose shot himself in the foot last year with the other issues. But, I think the only difference between Jose and the rest of us in our college years is that Jose got caught, twice. The rest of us (and you) are better sneaks.

THEsocalledfan
08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Just the fact that he lifted moral last year means a lot.

Lifting moral does not earn a starting QB job. Again, he has not yet earned it. He can do so in practice, but if equal to Jensen, this is a no brainer going with Jensen to give a long term starter. If he struggles, you then have a viable backup plan.

NDSU1980
08-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Lifting moral does not earn a starting QB job. Again, he has not yet earned it. He can do so in practice, but if equal to Jensen, this is a no brainer going with Jensen to give a long term starter. If he struggles, you then have a viable backup plan.

Heck, I got a PM once from an irate Mertens supporter who said Mertens deserved to start because he "tried". I kid you not!!! He "tried", so that made him a good QB.

Instilling confidence in a team by giving them a lift is quality that I expect in a QB. Jose can do just that. If not, heck he can "try".

silkamilkamonico
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Mohler won twice as many games as Mertens did last year. Jose looked head and shoulders above Mertens last year, and more importantly, Jose gave us a reason to cheer again. Just the fact that he lifted moral last year means a lot.

Mohler's 2 wins came against both teams that went 1-10 last year. I would call those wins a relief from embarassment, rather than uplifting moral, but to each his own.

I was not impressed at all with Mohler last year. I don't hold it against him because he was a freshmen having his playing time in college, but I certainly didn't see anything that gave me "hope", so to speak. The only difference I saw with Mohler and Mertens is decision making at key times of the game, but that certaily is a plus.

IMO, Mohler is a very good athlete who can make plays with his feet, but either he leaves a lot of plays out on the field, or our offensive scheme just sucks. I saw more of the same at the spring game last year, and I'm hearing more of the same during fall practices.

I'm also hearing Jensen is in that same boat when he's in, so I'm not sure if it's just our offensive scheme or what the deal is.

Bison Dan
08-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Mohler's 2 wins came against both teams that went 1-10 last year. I would call those wins a relief from embarassment, rather than uplifting moral, but to each his own.

I was not impressed at all with Mohler last year. I don't hold it against him because he was a freshmen having his playing time in college, but I certainly didn't see anything that gave me "hope", so to speak. The only difference I saw with Mohler and Mertens is decision making at key times of the game, but that certaily is a plus.

IMO, Mohler is a very good athlete who can make plays with his feet, but either he leaves a lot of plays out on the field, or our offensive scheme just sucks. I saw more of the same at the spring game last year, and I'm hearing more of the same during fall practices.

I'm also hearing Jensen is in that same boat when he's in, so I'm not sure if it's just our offensive scheme or what the deal is.

Is it not the same scheme that we had in 07,08? Seemed to work okay then.

THEsocalledfan
08-11-2010, 06:13 PM

thank you for ruining my day

silkamilkamonico
08-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Is it not the same scheme that we had in 07,08? Seemed to work okay then.

With Steve Walker, the exception, as the QB? He's not walking through that door anytime ever.

I don't think the offense is doom and gloom, but I hear Jensen can make some plays with his arm, and I'm hoping if he can earn the starting QB position, can grow into it comfortably and help the offense move the chains with some consistency.

Notorious
08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
thank you for ruining my day

Same here......

but, but....I thought we were so DEEEEEEPPPPP at quarterback?

Kermit
08-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Same here......

but, but....I thought we were so DEEEEEEPPPPP at quarterback?

We don't have an experienced QB and none of these guys are going to be an All-American this year. They DO have ability and potential. We have depth in the sense that our three guys with the capability of doing positive things on the field giving the coaching staff some choice, some flexibility, and some protection against injury.

cyborgg
08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
In this type of situation it's not uncommon to go with a 2 QB rotation.

Bison"FANatic"
08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't see Bohl ever going with a 2 QB rotation. I also am not a fan of a QB by committee approach just seems to mess up the consistency and flow of the offense for the rest of the offense.

silkamilkamonico
08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't see Bohl ever going with a 2 QB rotation. I also am not a fan of a QB by committee approach just seems to mess up the consistency and flow of the offense for the rest of the offense.

I agree. I think QB by committee in a gimmick offense where the pieces are in place, but not one that's driven by a QB.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I would like to have a 2 qb rotation but I just don't see the coaches going that route

BisonNeil
08-12-2010, 01:57 AM
I hate to be redundant, but I am okay with Mohler and think he will do fine. As opposed to Silk, I thought Mohlerr did do well and one thing happened for Jose in four games that NEVER happened for Mertens in 19, the game slowed down for him. I think he did fine for a RFr. I expect good, solid QB play from him.

If not, I am okay with Jenson also. I'm flexible I guess and willing to let Bohl and Vigen do their job :)

BisoninNWMN
08-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Jose is probably alittle ahead of Jensen now but both better be ready for the long season ahead.

Manage the game and move the ball.......

GO BISON

Tatanka
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
From today's media blog: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com

Dante Perez sat out with some sort of foot injury – he’s been hurt a lot since he’s been here – and Craig Bohl said there is separation between the top two in Jose Mohler and Brock Jensen and No. 3 Perez. Mohler got better as the practice wore on showing good command on his throws. Jensen struggled. “Both have a lot of natural ability and can make plays during the course of a game,” Bohl said, “but what we’re not seeing I think is we need better comprehension of the offense.”

EndZoneQB
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
From today's media blog: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com

Eek, that scares me a little bit. Sounds like Mertens a little...

bisonmike2
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Eek, that scares me a little bit. Sounds like Mertens a little...

Meh. I'd rather he say that 3 weeks before the first game than 6 weeks into the season.

EndZoneQB
08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Meh. I'd rather he say that 3 weeks before the first game than 6 weeks into the season.

3 weeks before the season...in his THIRD season with the program??

TransAmBison
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Not a lot of positives anywhere yet...

NDSUFan_Sav
08-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Not a lot of positives anywhere yet...

sure there is.....in a few weeks we'll be able to tailgate and drink and if we don't do so well keep on drinking :)

TransAmBison
08-13-2010, 12:04 AM
sure there is.....in a few weeks we'll be able to tailgate and drink and if we don't do so well keep on drinking :)
That worked last year. If this year goes like last I'm going 4m all over the place! :D

bisonmike2
08-13-2010, 12:16 AM
3 weeks before the season...in his THIRD season with the program??

Hey! Quit making me look bad!:)

Well when you put it that way, now I'm worried. Son-of-a-bitch. :ranting:

4mcruenomore
08-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Thorton will progress, we have no worries except for this year IMO.

EndZoneQB
08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Thorton will progress, we have no worries except for this year IMO.

Let. It. Go. You just can't resist can you?

Bison"FANatic"
08-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Let. It. Go. You just can't resist can you?

It just reminds you of the Lakes pumping of Mertens for years and we know how that turned out. Until you play a game against D1 competition you just never know. D1 defenses have a tendency to make high school stars look like average Joes. I hope he is every bit as good as 4M pumps him to be but we won't know for at least 2 years.

lakesbison
08-13-2010, 03:49 PM
MERTENS GOT SCREWED BY HIS WR DROPS IN 08

MERTENS GOT SCREWED BY OUR OFFENSIVE PLAYS IN 09.

(& he missed quite a few passes..haha)

Sorry guys, but I swear that every team in the MVFC knew our plays last year, our plays have been the same for 3-4 years, we need more ingeniuity and creativeness. You cant have the same roll out left after a ballfake with a RB and TE flooding that side.

how many TIMES DID WE RUN THAT!!! ARGH!!

THEsocalledfan
08-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Sorry guys, but I swear that every team in the MVFC knew our plays last year, our plays have been the same for 3-4 years, we need more ingeniuity and creativeness. You cant have the same roll out left after a ballfake with a RB and TE flooding that side.

Lakes, when Mertens is your QB, that is usually a safe play that he couldn't screw up that often.....he handcuffed those guys.

bisonmike2
08-13-2010, 04:00 PM

While there were many WR drops and the play calling was suspect, Mertens also didn't help his cause much by throwing to players on the other team, especially at the worst times, like at the end of a half or game. In fact, many of those drops might have been caused by the WR simply being surprised that the ball hit them in the hands.

OldBison
08-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Your defense of a crap QB is admirable Lakes, it truly is. You deserve an award of some kind for repeatedly drumming up excuses of why he was so shitty :nod:

In the end, there is an excuse, and that is that it is Bohl's fault, no question about it. He did not sign a QB for two years after he signed Nick so Mertens had no competition, nothing to push him to get better. So Lakes, you are right, it wasn't Nick's fault, you just don't have the right reasons for him being so crappy. :blush:

TransAmBison
08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't think there is any need to discuss Merten's play anymore. It is over and that is that.

THEsocalledfan
08-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't think there is any need to discuss Merten's play anymore. It is over and that is that.

Kicking a dead horse, yes, but those who do not remember and learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Thankfully, many don't remember the 10-1 seasons, so hopefully we now get to repeat them!

HandoEX
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Calling my bluff?...sh*t!!!

I'll go no higher than 5 George Washingtons. It's a bet!

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/216059.jpg

Notorious
08-24-2010, 07:26 PM
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/216059.jpg

Erroneous....I have to believe my previous post has been edited. ;)