PDA

View Full Version : Fall Practice!

DjKyRo
08-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Starts this week, no? I plan on making as many of them as I can and, similar to spring ball, will write up reports on who/what I see happening as I'm sure the usual crew will. REALLY looking forward to seeing some of the rookies at practice.

bisoningrandforks
08-02-2010, 11:28 PM
for those of us out of staters...thxs!!..

BigBison99
08-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm interested to see how Brock and the rest of his class will perform

Jdubs21
08-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Im excited to see the wisconsin transfer!

GradBison
08-03-2010, 03:12 PM
From GoBison.com: NDSU Football Practice Schedule (time/site subject to change)

Thursday, Aug. 5 – 3:30 p.m. practice/grass (acclimatization #1)
Friday, Aug. 6 – 3:30 p.m. practice/Dacotah (acclimatization #2)
Saturday, Aug. 7 – 10 a.m. practice/grass (acclimatization #3)
Sunday, Aug. 8 – 3 p.m. practice/grass (acclimatization #4)

Monday, Aug. 9 – 9:30 a.m. practice/Dacotah (acclimatization #5)
Tuesday, Aug. 10 – 2-A-Day, 9:30 a.m. Dacotah / 4:15 p.m. grass
Wednesday, Aug. 11 – 9:30 a.m. practice/Dacotah
Thursday, Aug. 12 – 2-A-Day, 9:30 a.m. Dacotah / 4:15 p.m. grass
Friday, Aug. 13 – 9:30 a.m. practice Dacotah
Saturday, Aug. 14 – 10:30 a.m. scrimmage/Dacotah
Sunday, Aug. 15 -- Off

Monday, Aug. 16 – 2-A-Day, 9:30 a.m. Dacotah / 4:15 p.m. grass
Tuesday, Aug. 17 – 9:30 a.m. practice grass
Wednesday, Aug. 18 – 9:30 a.m. practice Dacotah
Thursday, Aug. 19 – 9:30 a.m. practice grass
Friday, Aug. 20 – 9:30 a.m. practice practice
Saturday, Aug. 21 – 9:30 a.m. practice Dacotah
Sunday, Aug. 22 -- Off

Looks like only one scrimmage 8/14 at 10:30, I'll be there. :nod:

DjKyRo
08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
The ones this weekend don't look good for me as I have to work like a bastard but I'll be at every one I can make it to.

A1pigskin
08-04-2010, 05:42 PM
My areas of concern are WR, QB, and pass coverage.

Herd
08-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Im excited to see the wisconsin transfer!

As of tonight, Westphal is gone from the roster on Gobison.com . . . there better be some mistake!!!

ndsubison1
08-05-2010, 05:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

NDSUFan_Sav
08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Wes Hudson is listed as a WR, well he played RB in hs, but from what i've heard they're moving him to CB and he'll also be a KR and PR

roadwarrior
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
From Dom Izzo on the Bison media blog:

I know it's Christmas Day for most Bison fans, we're going wall to wall coverage this month of Fall Camp, starting tonight, we'll be live at 6:20 with Offensive Coordinator Brent Vigen to talk about the big issues for the offense this fall.Look for nightly updates on practice from Jeff and I as well throughout the month.

HandoEX
08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
From Dom Izzo on the Bison media blog:

Please Dom, keep this up! There are tons of us starving for as much Bison info as you can feed us!

DjKyRo
08-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Please Dom, keep this up! There are tons of us starving for as much Bison info as you can feed us!

Hell yeah! I can't make it this weekend but I'll be camping out by Dacotah all next weekend. Can't wait to see some of the rookies.

SDbison
08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
This is what I want to see! :nod:

Bison"FANatic"
08-05-2010, 09:14 PM
It is nice to see them come out and let us rubes know that they are going to covering them a bunch in the next month.

Kermit
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
I watched the first 1 1/4 hours of practice today. The team was in helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts for the first acclimitization workout. Lots of drills in position groups (I spent most of my time watching the QBs and receivers), some 7 on 7, a little 11 on 11. Also worked on punt team when I was there. Here are a few observations:

QB: Mohler, Jensen, Perez, Thorton all looked liked they belong. Esley will definitely redshirt, but he is a QB, no doubt about it. To me, he is even more impressive than Jensen was last summer. Quick feet and throws a very nice, catchable ball.

OL: Austin Richard was on the field, but not in uniform. Joe Lund lined up at center with the first team and there were some issues completing the snap between Lund and the QBs. Boen Anderson was at RG and Ty Beckius at LG. The four true freshmen are all physically imposing. Looks like Jesse Hinz will be working at center.

TE: Veldman is one big target. Austin Vetter looks to be more confident and he has put on some good weight.

RB: DJ McNorton was noticeable. Ryan Smith showed he can catch the ball.

WR: Justin Howard and Titus Mack were the first pair out, followed by Holloway/Williams, and Wahlo/Calhoun. Reed Duchsherer made some plays. Zach Vraa made some nice catches and looks to be very talented. I still think he might play this year. Trevor Gebhart looked nervous and messed up the snap count a couple of times.

DL: The first unit appeared to be Boyer, Phillips, Gratzek, and Stoczynkski. Leevon looked to be the next DT to rotate in.

LB: The first unit was Evans, flanked by Anderson and Jemison. The second unit was Hushka, flanked by Willson and Kolstad. All the backers got some reps, but Grant Olson and Don Carter were the first freshmen to hit the field. Olson was singled out for praise a couple of times for his technique in punt team drills.

S: Danny Eaves and Cyrus Lemon were with the first team, then Bobby Ollman and a #15 who I couldn't identify. Noticed the freshmen is special teams drills, but they didn't get reps with the D during 11 on 11 when I was watching.

CB: Brendan Pierre and Freddy Banks got the first set of reps followed by Josh Gatlin and Derrius Colvin. Marcus Williams and freshman Wesley Hudson were third. Williams made several nice plays on the ball and looked very quick.

Punt team: Forgot to note who was snapping. Prelvitz was OK. Voigtlander hit one bomb, but was very inconsistent and had poor footwork. They were using the same goofy looking punt formation we've seen the past couple of years.

lakesbison
08-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Williams made several nice plays on the ball and looked very quick

day 1. imagine him on day 30 in lawrence!

AEBison1998
08-05-2010, 11:53 PM
who is John Pike? #15 Juco?

Who's been holding out on us?

BisonNeil
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
I watched the first 1 1/4 hours of practice today. The team was in helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts for the first acclimitization workout. Lots of drills in position groups (I spent most of my time watching the QBs and receivers), some 7 on 7, a little 11 on 11. Also worked on punt team when I was there. Here are a few observations:

QB: Mohler, Jensen, Perez, Thorton all looked liked they belong. Esley will definitely redshirt, but he is a QB, no doubt about it. To me, he is even more impressive than Jensen was last summer. Quick feet and throws a very nice, catchable ball.

OL: Austin Richard was on the field, but not in uniform. Joe Lund lined up at center with the first team and there were some issues completing the snap between Lund and the QBs. Boen Anderson was at RG and Ty Beckius at LG. The four true freshmen are all physically imposing. Looks like Jesse Hinz will be working at center.

TE: Veldman is one big target. Austin Vetter looks to be more confident and he has put on some good weight.

WR: Justin Howard and Titus Mack were the first pair out, followed by Holloway/Williams, and Wahlo/Calhoun. Reed Duchsherer made some plays. Zach Vraa made some nice catches and looks to be very talented. I still think he might play this year. Trevor Gebhart looked nervous and messed up the snap count a couple of times.

DL: The first unit appeared to be Boyer, Phillips, Gratzek, and Stoczynkski. Leevon looked to be the next DT to rotate in.

LB: The first unit was Evans, flanked by Anderson and Jemison. The second unit was Hushka, flanked by Willson and Kolstad. All the backers got some reps, but Grant Olson and Don Carter were the first freshmen to hit the field. Olson was singled out for praise a couple of times for his technique in punt team drills.

S: Danny Eaves and Cyrus Lemon were with the first team, then Bobby Ollman and a #15 who I couldn't identify. Noticed the freshmen is special teams drills, but they didn't get reps with the D during 11 on 11 when I was watching.

CB: Brendan Pierre and Freddy Banks got the first set of reps followed by Josh Gatlin and Derrius Colvin. Marcus Williams and freshman Wesley Hudson were third. Williams made several nice plays on the ball and looked very quick.

Punt team: Forgot to note who was snapping. Prelvitz was OK. Voigtlander hit one bomb, but was very inconsistent and had poor footwork. They were using the same goofy looking punt formation we've seen the past couple of years.

Really good stuff Kermit, thanks!!

I take it since you didn't mention Boyd, the phantom CB from NDSCS, and since the Bison roster was updated to remove Westphal and Boyd was not added it's safe to assume he is a no show and not going to be on the team? Depth is getting 'tin-er and tin'er' :)

Kermit
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
who is John Pike? #15 Juco?

Who's been holding out on us?

That's who #15 was! He looked decent at safety today. Here's a story on him:

http://jcfootball.scout.com/2/944330.html

Says here he signed with the Bison on July 17:
http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=9&c=2&cid=984527&nid=4748944&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fjcfootball.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d87%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d984527%26nid%3 d4748944%26fhn%3d1

Highlight video here (I haven't watched it yet):
http://vimeo.com/8383555

BisonNeil
08-06-2010, 12:05 AM
That's who #15 was! He looked decent at safety today. Here's a story on him:

http://jcfootball.scout.com/2/944330.html

Says here he signed with the Bison on July 17:
http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=9&c=2&cid=984527&nid=4748944&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fjcfootball.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d87%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d984527%26nid%3 d4748944%26fhn%3d1

Highlight video here (I haven't watched it yet):
http://vimeo.com/8383555

Must have been signed because Boyd decided not to come or couldn't get in?

DjKyRo
08-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the report Kermit! Wish I could make it out at all this weekend...very interesting to hear about Vraa though, it's going to be interesting to see if any redshirts need to come off and whether it will be he, Gebhart, or both at the WR spot.

Sort of surprised to hear "dead heat" in regards to Jose and Brock, I'm hopin the competition will bring out the best in both of them. Looking forward to seeing what develops in the next month.

tony
08-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Looks like the WDAY newscasts are viewable again so you can go the link below, click the big 6, and see the 6pm news for about 20 more hours:

http://www.wday.com/pages/wdaytv

Sports starts just before 24 minute mark.

4mcruenomore
08-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the updates guys, keep them coming!

MHDBisonfan
08-06-2010, 03:40 AM

Thanks Kermit!

HandoEX
08-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Kermit, you are the man! Glad to hear we landed another safety. We need all the help we can get, especially from someone that has a penchant for interceptions!

HandoEX
08-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Anyone heading over there today?

GradBison
08-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Anyone heading over there today?

I plan to head there from work, shortly after 4.

ndsubison1
08-06-2010, 06:49 PM

I think we will have three very solid corners in Gatlin, Pierre and M Williams. We may see all 3 of them on the field at the same time in a nickel package

DjKyRo
08-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I'll se if I can't sneak out of work and get there arounf 5ish, I imagine practice only goes until 5:30-6 or so but I'd like to catch 11-on-11 if I can.

TheBisonator
08-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Anyone know the difference between accclimitization practices and normal practices?? Are the acclimitization ones not in full pads, or something??

SamsRams
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Anyone know the difference between accclimitization practices and normal practices?? Are the acclimitization ones not in full pads, or something??

correct, not full pads!

DjKyRo
08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I was walking toward Dacotah Field when a pack of football players (all of them) walked past me. I guess practice ended early. :( I did see a few QBs tossing the ball around though, didn't immediately spot Kolpack or Izzo (which doesn't mean they weren't there).

HandoEX
08-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Caught practice today with a few fellow BV'ers. Some observations....

We have 3 huge, athletic true frosh at LB. Carter, Emmanuel, and Olson are each outstanding athletes and looked really good out there. I was impressed!

Leevon Perry was blowing things up! Kid is a beast at tackle. He was pressuring the QB time after time. I'd be shocked if he didn't see tons of playing time. Juckem physically looks like he's 3 years into a career in the NFL.

The defensive backfield looked better than I expected. Freddie Banks played well at corner and Gatlin was on lockdown. Didn't see Pierre, but I could have missed him. Marcus Williams is really, really, really fast. Our safeties, outside of Lemon, are incredibly small but quick.

Hinz and Jacobs are really athletic looking young guards. They each have outstanding size, but looked nimble.

Our TE corps are deeeeeeeeeeep. Veldman, Vetter, Nelson, Vaadeland, and Smith are each capable of performing. The redshirt freshmen are each very physical. Taylor Nelson is the size of some offensive linemen but his athleticism and speed really sneek up on a person. Vaadeland looks like his knee is still giving him problems.

Matt Anderson had at least 3 interceptions. Olson had one as well.

Wow, our coaches are fun to watch and are bringing FIRE! Polasek is a badass.

The true freshman kicker looked good on FGs. Jastram didn't.

Can't wait to get back there tomorrow. If you make it, print out the roster. I was checking it non-stop with all the freshmen and number changes.

GradBison
08-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Great recap Hando.

The roster can be downloaded from here:
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=383992&postcount=10

Jdubs21
08-07-2010, 04:05 AM
what time is practice tomorrow?

Kermit
08-07-2010, 04:34 AM
what time is practice tomorrow?

10:00 on the grass fields. Schedule is here: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204972880

Jdubs21
08-07-2010, 04:41 AM
10:00 on the grass fields. Schedule is here: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204972880

k..thanks kermit

56BISON73
08-07-2010, 08:26 AM

We have 3 huge, athletic true frosh at LB. Carter, Emmanuel, and Olson are each outstanding athletes and looked really good out there. I was impressed!

Leevon Perry was blowing things up! Kid is a beast at tackle. He was pressuring the QB time after time. I'd be shocked if he didn't see tons of playing time. Juckem physically looks like he's 3 years into a career in the NFL.

The defensive backfield looked better than I expected. Freddie Banks played well at corner and Gatlin was on lockdown. Didn't see Pierre, but I could have missed him. Marcus Williams is really, really, really fast. Our safeties, outside of Lemon, are incredibly small but quick.

Hinz and Jacobs are really athletic looking young guards. They each have outstanding size, but looked nimble.

Our TE corps are deeeeeeeeeeep. Veldman, Vetter, Nelson, Vaadeland, and Smith are each capable of performing. The redshirt freshmen are each very physical. Taylor Nelson is the size of some offensive linemen but his athleticism and speed really sneek up on a person. Vaadeland looks like his knee is still giving him problems.

Can't wait to get back there tomorrow. If you make it, print out the roster. I was checking it non-stop with all the freshmen and number changes.

Thanks Hando!!!

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2010, 12:52 PM

How's my boy Vandal looking? Is he as huge as ever?

johnson
08-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Anyone get a chance to look at Billy Turner?

GradBison
08-07-2010, 02:22 PM
How my boy Vandal looking? Is he as huge as ever?

Vandal looked like a beast. His neck is bigger than his head, hell it's even bigger than my head and I have a giant head.
He caught several passes too. We need him to stay healthy and he will be a force for us this season.

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Vandal looked like a beast. His neck is bigger than his head, hell it's even bigger than my head and I have a giant head.He caught several passes too. We need him to stay healthy and he will be a force for us this season.

Life can be so unfair.
If it's not one thing.....it's another.
http://www.quasi-modo.net/schlitzie_freaks_NC.jpg

BisonNeil
08-07-2010, 02:32 PM

According the two deep depth chart in the Forum today, Perry isn't on it. Based on what you are saying that will change. Another interesting tidbit is they have Jirik backing up Boyer and list him at 235. The GoBison roster has him at 215 and I have been dissing him for not gaining weight. My apologies Cole! BTW, Stocynski is the RDE and Hagen is backing him up.

They also have Gatlin backing up Pierre with Derrius Colvin the starting LCB. What's up with that?

My favorite Bohl quote was fantastic. When asked to comment on the wide receiver production Craig said "We were poor there last year. We had some guys who sometimes didn't know if they were on foot or horseback". Classic.

BigBison99
08-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Any one hear anything about Jeff Jerve lately?
He seems like a big guy that could do work

MinotBison
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
I've been hearing on ESPN recently about a pro football player who was not allowed to practice until he passed his team's conditioning drill. Does anyone know if NDSU has a conditioning drill of some kind that has to be passed, and if so, what is it?

onbison09
08-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Vandal looked like a beast. His neck is bigger than his head, hell it's even bigger than my head and I have a giant head.
He caught several passes too. We need him to stay healthy and he will be a force for us this season.

I'll never forget him wrestling heavy in HS and throwing guys around that were 30ish pounds heavier than him. He would've been a state champion too if he wasn't "McLearied" (sp?) in the finals. :smh:

onbison09
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Just a question but is there ever any altercations or anything or do the coaches stop that? Just wondering since my school had one during a practice. I don't know if that's good or bad. I know Rex Ryan likes that type of stuff though.

Superfan
08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I believe altercations are farely frequent and, depending on the severity, are generally acceptable as coaches like to see that the players are competitive and passionate. Altercations between captains may not be quite so tolerable though.

EndZoneQB
08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I believe altercations are farely frequent and, depending on the severity, are generally acceptable as coaches like to see that the players are competitive and passionate. Altercations between captains may not be quite so tolerable though.

I know whenever something went wrong on "my" watch in practice(defensive backs), I used to grab the persons facemask and get right in their grille. I'd yell at them, but explain to them what I wanted out of them on that play. After I got done being pissed off, I'd pat on em on the helmet and tell them they'd get it next play.

ndsubison1
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Just a question but is there ever any altercations or anything or do the coaches stop that? Just wondering since my school had one during a practice. I don't know if that's good or bad. I know Rex Ryan likes that type of stuff though.

Depends. Sometimes it's good to see that on a team. Depends on the situation though. When I played in HS sometimes if there was a lil altercation between two players our coaches LOVED that.

rutlandbison
08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Depends. Sometimes it's good to see that on a team. Depends on the situation though. When I played in HS sometimes if there was a lil altercation between two players our coaches LOVED that.
Stanley Havili, USC's fullblack, knocked out and broke the jaw of one of their cornerbacks during their last summer workout. So that's not good.

Kermit
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know the schedule for practices this week?

roadwarrior
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Does anyone know the schedule for practices this week?

I'm assuming with classes starting tomorrow, practices will only be late afternoons.

Kermit
08-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Tomorrow's practice (Saturday, 8/28) is closed to the public and media. :(
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/08/27/closing-practice-to-the-public-it-may-get-trendy/

NDSUFan_Sav
08-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Tomorrow's practice (Saturday, 8/28) is closed to the public and media. :(
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/08/27/closing-practice-to-the-public-it-may-get-trendy/

unless youre tricky

Tatanka
08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
unless youre tricky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYQV62WhkM

Kermit
08-27-2010, 03:34 PM
unless youre tricky

Oh, I'm sure there are ways to watch. ;)

My thinking has always been that if the coaches don't want me around, I'll stay away. At the same time, I think the program has more to gain by encouraging fan interest than they have to lose by having a "spy" watch practice. It isn't my decision to make, though, and I tend to follow the rules.

Football coaches (everywhere) tend to be paranoid. It might be in their job description.

Bison"FANatic"
08-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Tomorrow the super secret 7 wide receiver set goes into the playbook along with the no QB no RB formation.;) ;) :D :D :D

I agree with Kermit on the, if the coaches want it closed, I stay would stay away.

TransAmBison
08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Tomorrow the super secret 7 wide receiver set goes into the playbook along with the no QB no RB formation.;) ;) :D :D :D

I agree with Kermit on the, if the coaches want it closed, I stay would stay away.
This all excludes Lakes though, right? I mean, he can still go and watch practice, right?

Bison"FANatic"
08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
This all excludes Lakes though, right? I mean, he can still go and watch practice, right?

Ya you better let him know though that they moved it to the Shanely field. ;);)

lakesbison
08-27-2010, 05:41 PM
i dont have the fox pass this weekend, im at the LAKES!!

NDSUFan_Sav
08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh, I'm sure there are ways to watch. ;)

My thinking has always been that if the coaches don't want me around, I'll stay away. At the same time, I think the program has more to gain by encouraging fan interest than they have to lose by having a "spy" watch practice. It isn't my decision to make, though, and I tend to follow the rules.

Football coaches (everywhere) tend to be paranoid. It might be in their job description.

well i went to the closed one last year and i had no clue til 2 hours in they asked me to leave

westnodak93bison
08-28-2010, 09:47 PM
So how did practice go today? Was it in the dome?

roadwarrior
08-28-2010, 11:51 PM

Since it was a closed practice, you aren't going to hear much.
Very much doubt it was inside.

Grizzled
08-29-2010, 12:29 PM

The team did practice in the dome yesterday but it was closed to the public.