PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays

G-city Bison Fan
07-31-2010, 02:54 AM
Looks like the word is he got traded to Denver for JJ Arrington.

Caught it about an hour ago on Adam Schefters twitter.

I suddenly feel like lakes ;)

HandoEX
07-31-2010, 03:05 AM
Looks like the word is he got traded to Denver for JJ Arrington.

Caught it about an hour ago on Adam Schefters twitter.

I suddenly feel like lakes ;)

No text? Pretty even trade as far as contending goes. Hope Joe enjoys that mountains!!!

G-city Bison Fan
07-31-2010, 03:08 AM
Couldn't find anything on it as far as text or anything.

Adam_Schefter Denver and Philadelphia agreed to a trade: Broncos trade RB J.J. Arrington to Eagles for LB Joe Mays.
about 1 hour ago via ÜberTwitter

bisoningrandforks
07-31-2010, 03:37 AM
Sweet!!....now I can watch him every week!!.....Joe will impress!

BadlandsBison
07-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Nice! I'm a faithful Broncos fan, this is great! And as a Broncos fan, I've been in pain for the last decade. The whole drafting Tebow thing isn't helping:mad: I bet Joe could be a great asset to a special teams unit that currently stinks.

Go get'em Joe!

BisonNeil
07-31-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/286517/group/Sports/

BisonKent
07-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Very cool. Tyrone Braxton and now Joe Mays to the Broncos. Being a Bronco fan, I am all for this trade.

bri-dog
07-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Sweet -- I might have to watch some training camp workouts!

NWNDBison
08-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Broncos fans seem optimistic:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=169988

Bison101
08-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Broncos fans seem optimistic:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=169988

It sounds like they think he'll have a chance at starting! Good luck Joe!

WYOBISONMAN
08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Best of luck to Joe! It is great to have him in the West!

Twentysix
08-02-2010, 02:57 AM
It sounds like they think he'll have a chance at starting! Good luck Joe!

Didnt really seem like they think he will start. It read to me as they think he will be put on ST and if he performs well could be a backup/2 down player.

Bison"FANatic"
08-02-2010, 03:24 AM
I have to think that this will turn out to be a good move for Joe if he can pick up the 3-4 D. He struggled last year in pass coverage and in the 3-4 he won't be responsible for the depth down the field that he was in the 4-3. The 3-4 should play to his strength in the middle and maybe make up for the slight speed and small height disadvantage that he had. We know he can slam the run and the 3-4 just may extend his paycheck a few years in the Not For Long league.

sambini
08-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Good luck Joe+++

WRSDBison
08-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Damnit. I was a Broncos fan who hated McDaniels all last year. Then they drafted Tebow and I officially gave up on them. Now they do this and try to bring me back in. Bastards.

Twentysix
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
"Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!!"

A1pigskin
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I was surprised by the trade, but now I have to watch the Broncos.

TheDoctor
08-03-2010, 04:42 AM
I love the part where he calls him Mike Tyson! ;)

Mays has plenty of Xs, Os and Zs to catch up on

Associated Press
08/02/10 9:50 PM EDT
ENGLEWOOD, COLO. — It isn't just Xs and Os that Joe Mays is catching up on but also his Zs.

"Right now I'm trying to catch up on sleep and on the playbook," said Mays, who was acquired by the Denver Broncos on Friday night for running back J.J. Arrington.

It was a whirlwind weekend for the special teams standout and backup middle linebacker who had an inkling he was the odd man out in Philly after the Eagles beefed up their linebacking corps during the offseason.

Still, he was surprised when he was summoned to the coach's office.

"Three things came to mind, either I was going to get released, I was going to switch positions, because we were so loaded at linebacker, or I was going to be traded," Mays said Monday.

While sad to leave Philadelphia, he was excited about the Broncos' interest.

"I have to go out and prove myself and prove they made a good move," he said.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels remembered all too clearly how Mays bullied the Broncos in a game last season.

"Well, he killed us last year in the kicking game, first of all, when we played against Philadelphia. Very physical, fast linebacker that can absolutely play and factor in the kicking game to a strong degree," McDaniels said.

"He's a physical player and he kind of looks like Mike Tyson, and hopefully he'll play like Mike Tyson."

Mays has gotten that before.

"Hey man, I've been called Mike Tyson all my life. I've been called every single name in the book because of me being short and big," he said. "I appreciate him just giving me any type of praise like that. I'll make sure in return I go out and play hard and do the things I need to do to help the team."

Mays embraces being touted as a special teams player more so than a middle linebacker, too.

"I don't mind at all. A lot of players make teams because of special teams," he said. "I don't mind creating a role for myself on this team through special teams. Defense is an added bonus right now for me." An oddity for Mays is he's the first pro football player to play with southpaw quarterbacks Michael Vick and Tim Tebow in the NFL.

But he said there's not a lot of similarities.

"Hey man, he's a different breed," Mays said of Tebow. "He's a big guy, he has a pretty good arm and he's a boulder. He can run over a linebacker. That's a little bit different than the lefty that I knew in Philly."

missingnumber7
08-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Joe's getting some reps with the first team with the absence of DJ Williams and other injuries. He has inpressed others by stepping in on Special teams immediately.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8...camp#storyjump

I'm pumped with his moving to the broncos. I just got my season tickets and we are going to 3 games this year...if anyone wants tickets let me know. I have decent seats.

missingnumber7
08-12-2010, 12:08 AM
I was surprised by the trade, but now I GET to watch the Broncos.

I thought this needed some correction.

sambini
08-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Joe's getting some reps with the first team with the absence of DJ Williams and other injuries. He has inpressed others by stepping in on Special teams immediately.

I'm pumped with his moving to the broncos. I just got my season tickets and we are going to 3 games this year...if anyone wants tickets let me know. I have decent seats. Thanks for the link++

EndZoneQB
08-12-2010, 01:14 AM

I'm pumped with his moving to the broncos. I just got my season tickets and we are going to 3 games this year...if anyone wants tickets let me know. I have decent seats.

...link fail....

missingnumber7
08-12-2010, 03:08 AM
I am sitting at the 42 yard line this morning. Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" is coming through the loud speaker and the kickers are already getting loose. I see it's going to be a full pads practice as the Tight Ends gather and Devin Bishop and Tim Tebow walk out on to the field. Ther JUGG's machine is set up at the 10 yard line to my left. I hear what sounds like an unfamiliar Brooks and Dunn song now as the rest of the team filters out of the locker room. I was handed a Broncos Colorado Lottery Scratcher at the entrance this morning and as I await the onset of practice, I scratch off a dud. HORN.

9 minutes go up on the segment clock and the Punt Return Unit sets up in front of me. They work on Fake Punt scenarios and how to handle them. We certainly don't need a repeat of the Redskins game last year. Perrish Cox is taking the reps as returner and the Unit has Nate Jones, Darcel McBath, Richard Quinn, Spencer Larsen, Kyle McCarthy, Matthew Willis, David Bruton, Jammie Kirlew, Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard. It looks like Brandon Stokely, Brian Dawkins, Jarvis Green and Champ Bailey have the morning off. Still out are Eric Decker and DeMaryius Thomas. D.J. Williams has the "No Contact" jersey on and I spot the newest Bronco Justin Fargas wearing Kolby Smith's old number 42. HORN.

The clock resets to 8 minutes as the Units switch ends of the field. The Defense and Offense are jeering at one another and the "D" keeps it up throughout the next drills. They roar "HAWWW!" at the Offense and dare them to run through the line. Lance Ball gets strung out down the line for no gain and the Defense growls again. The LB's taking reps are Mario Haggan, Wesley Woodyard. Joe Mays and Robert Ayers. Jamal Williams makes a tackle in the backfield and then another for no gain. Bruce Hall carries for a yard. Tebow runs a QB Draw and LeKevin Smith grabs him at the line. The Defense roars loudly at this. Lance Ball slashes for 5 yards on the next play. Coach Nunnelly repeats his often heard mantra, "Nobody runs on the Denver Broncos." Orton completes a pass to Brandon Lloyd and then Justin Fargas gets his first carry as a Bronco. He gains a couple of yards up the middle and a Defensive Lineman grabs his shirt tail preventing him from going further. He keeps his legs moving anyway and the rest of the team gets a laugh out of it. Toney Baker has a nice run. HORN.

8 minutes on the clock and the Units switch ends. Darcel McBath is taking Brian Dawkins reps and Perrish Cox is filling in for Champ Bailey. Kyle Orton throws a TE screen to Richard Quinn. On the next play, Ryan McBean tips Orton's pass in the backfield, but it is complete to Brandon Lloyd anyway. Orton's next pass goes 70 yards, overthrowing Eddie Royal and the coverage. Eddie stopped running on the play, so it's hard to say if it would have been complete. Tebow completes a pass to Richard Quinn. Wesley Woodyard has a sack on Kyle Orton, who passes over the middle late to Gaffney. Andre' Goodman breaks up an Orton to Gaffney pass. The Defense is getting good penetration in this session. Kyle hits Nathan Overbay. Brady Quinn tries to get a pass to Britt Davis but Alphonso Smith denies him access and rides him out of bounds. Tebow misses a read and throws an incomplete intended for Gaffney. Brady Quinn hooks up with Lance Ball over the middle. HORN.

8 minutes on the clock and it's time for Punt Return drills again. This time Britton Colquitt gets to punt. Richard Quinn comes close to blocking a punt. Britton is booming 50 yard (from the line of scrimmage) punts with decent hang time. I can only count one one-thousand, to one-thousand as I don't possess a stop watch, but all the same, it seems like the hang time is okay. Eddie Royal comes in to take the last 2 reps at returner. HORN.

The clock is set for 8 minutes and it is time for 11 on 11's. McDaniels is tired of the Defense dominating and wants the Offense to do something about it. On the first play, Kyle Orton makes a bad throw to no one. Lance Ball carries the ball for 5 yards up the middle. Robert Ayers and Joe Mays meet Orton for a sack and Kyle passes to Matthew Willis anyway. The 2nd Teams rotate in and Bruce Hall picks up a few yards. Tebow throws a reverse Tight End screen that wobbles its way to Daniel Graham. A WR screen to Eddie Royal is sniffed out by Nate Jones, but Eddie makes him miss the tackle. Akin Ayodele is in the backfield pressuring Orton and Nate Jones intercepts the ball. HORN.

The segment clock resets to 5 minutes and the Defense goes over to the other field. The QB's, RB's, TE's and WR's stay together to work while the O-Line works with Coach Barone. HORN.

9 minutes on the segment clock. 7 on 7's Red Zone drills at the 20 yard line. Richard Quinn "stone hands" (drops) a pass from Orton. Andre' Goodman bats down the next pass intended for Matthew Willis. Orton to Bruce Hall for a short gain. The ball is spotted at the 10 yard line now. Tim Tebow throws a pass into Alric Arnett's back. Kyle Orton hooks up with Willis for a touchdown. Orton throws a fade to Brandon Lloyd for a touchdown. Orton throws to Eddie Royal for a touchdown. Brady Quinn connects with Daniel Graham (nice catch) for a touchdown. The ball is spotted at the 5 yard line. Tebow holds the ball and the receivers are covered so he throws a ball away that is nearly picked off. His next attempt is held way too long. He ends up throwing out of bounds towards a double covered receiver. Orton holds the ball too long and ends up completing a pass to Willis. Then Kyle tries to hit Royal in the back of the end zone but it is incomplete. HORN.

9 minutes on the clock. The ball is at the 20. 1st Nickel package 11 on 11's. Kyle Orton's pass intended for Lloyd is broken up by Andre' Goodman. Orton comes back to Lloyd at the 5 yard line. An inside hand off to Lance Ball is good for 5 yards. Brady Quinn passes to Alric Arnett, but it is broken up by Perrish Cox. Brice Hall takes an inside hand off 4 yards. Kyle hooks up with Brandon Lloyd past Tony Carter for a touchdown. The line of scrimmage is moved to the 10 yard line. Orton holds the ball and can't find anyone open. Three of his receivers just stopped running completely. The next play starts with a bad shotgun snap, Orton throws a quick sideline pass intended for Britt Davis, but totally misses him. Brady Quinn has to throw away a pass. Tim Tebow runs around the right side for no gain. He doesn't fare any better than the other two QB's in this session. Orton passes to Willis who shows good concentration as the ball bobbles. He is able to hold on, but he can't get into the end zone and is stopped at the 1 yard line. Orton passes incomplete to Matthew Willis. HORN.

5 more minutes on the clock. 1st Offense vs. the 1st "Base" Defense. Perrish Cox, Justin Bannan, Robert Ayers, Jamal Williams, Mario Haggan, Ryan McBean, Joe Mays, Andre' Goodman, Renaldo Hill and Darcel McBath. Perrish Cox intercepts a Kyle Orton pass intended for Brandon Lloyd. HORN.

The Defense goes to the far field to cool down and Josh McDaniels (who is ticked off) makes the entire Offense run sideline sprints, up and back 5 times. Then the Offense huddles at midfield as the Defense heads to the locker room.

Go Broncos!

My apologies, he did another update after he posted that one. The guy is a member of www.orangemane.com a broncos fan site. He does practice updates. The omane used to have two press passes for training camp and someone posted while they were on the field and we lost those priviledges.

SUBISON247
08-12-2010, 04:14 AM
a little tidbit on Joe from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/15500/camp-confidential-broncos

GradBison
08-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Best of luck to Joe!

roper1313
08-12-2010, 02:26 PM
"key back-up and special teamer"

Not a bad way to make a living!!

missingnumber7
08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
With DJ Williams being dinged early this season look for Joe to get lots of PT during the Preseason, and with another new ILB Joe could have his chance, with Woodyard proving he isn't ready for the starting job last year.

bri-dog
08-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Looking forward to watching Joe in the Broncos' first preseason game today -- anyone that gets to watch it, look for #96!

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Mays is likely battling Johnny Williams for a roster spot, but should make it based on special teams.

I think as far as ILB position he is behind DJ, Haggan, Ayodele, and Woodyard, although he will likely move up a sport because Haggan will move outside to fill in for Dumervil.

I think he should probably make the squad this year.

TheDoctor
08-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Joe Mays on the last stop......I hope the last play of the quarter was not on him. I have to rewatch it here. ;)

WRSDBison
08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
He just got hurt. Groin injury. Return probable. Preseason...I would be surprised if he returned.

Edit: he's back in. I'm wrong again.

missingnumber7
08-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Joe had a rough game. Its still weird seing him in wearing 96. But I think he makes the team. Right now it looks like he's #4 at ILB behind DJ, Ayodele, and Woodyard. It pretty much depends on how quickly he picks up the system and scheme. I am assuming hes a shoe in to make the team. Especially if he keeps getting in and makin plays on special teams.

Bison bison
08-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Joe had four tackles during half a game, playing mostly special teams.

He's gonna make the team.

Bison101
08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
This from the Broncos message board:

Joe Mays: At first, Mays was looking like he was out of his natural environment (See: Bernard Scott juke Mays after Mays filled the hole beautifully). But, as the game progressed, so did Mays. He gradually got better, more comfortable, and by the end was flying around, contributing on almost every play. I was very impressed not so much by his overall performace (5 Tot Tackles, 3 Solo), but his progression over the course of just one game. I loved the move when it happened, and I love it more now.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=170840

missingnumber7
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Joe had four tackles during half a game, playing mostly special teams.

He's gonna make the team.

He played ILB most of the second half, minus the injury time. He still has that nose for the hole and can blow up a play.

missingnumber7
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Joe had a good showing against the Lions. He is in a 3 man rotation with DJ Williams out right now and is making the most of it. Looks to be a roster lock right now. Here is what coach McDaniels had to say about him.

On LB Joe Mays
“With D.J. (Williams) out, we were really going 3-4-2 inside with (Wesley) Woodyard, Akin (Ayodele) and Joe. We just decided to go ahead with that group early. Woodyard was playing in the kicking game and also in sub situations. So it’s nothing more than the fact that we’re going to go ahead with a three-man rotation. When D.J.’s back, maybe it will be a little different. He (Mays) is competing for that ‘mike’ spot. There’s no question that we know what he can do and what we’re doing and every rep that he has is a good opportunity for him to learn everything.”