PDA

View Full Version : Which redshirts are getting pulled?

mgbison
07-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I was at the golf outing in Grand Forks, and Bohl made it sound like Olson, Vraa, and Gebhart are all possibly gonna get their redshirts pulled.

lakesbison
07-28-2010, 06:40 PM
yea, those 3 for sure.

Billy Turner perhaps Crockett (if eligible) and Dudzik would be the other 3 no-brainers.

ndsubison1
07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
At least one safety I would say. Probably Turner if we get an injury or two on the line. I would also say one more LB besides Olson. IMO I think Vraa would be the first WR to get his pulled. I'm not sure if we would need Gebhart at all unless he is just that good and you almost cant redshirt him because of it

NDSUstudent
07-29-2010, 01:14 AM
I'd only say Olson for sure since he appears physically ready to play LB. The receivers will have to learn the offense, I have serious doubts about any of their redshirts being pulled. Turner probably will also need a year like most lineman do.

I agree with whoever talked about saftey, our secondary still has many of question marks.

westnodak93bison
07-29-2010, 02:20 AM
What makes you guys assume Olson is better than Don Carter or Kyle Emanuel?

chillymanfournine
07-29-2010, 03:58 AM
What about special teams?
Maybe Ryan Smith could get put back there to return kicks and punts. I saw him running the other day at Dakota Field and dang is he looking fast.

SamsRams
07-29-2010, 06:21 AM
i dont think you can pull a redshirt off someone who never had one on, but maybe i am wrong.

as far as guys who wont get redshirted, i think Olson and Vraa are locks.

Mr. Burgundy
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I think Vraa and Gebhart are going to change our WR corps.....but, I have a hard time wanting to yank those shirts. Let them develop. We have a solid set of WR's coming back. Lets build for the future.

EndZoneQB
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I think Vraa and Gebhart are going to change our WR corps.....but, I have a hard time wanting to yank those shirts. Let them develop. We have a solid set of WR's coming back. Lets build for the future.

I'd agree with this, and that goes for any freshman tho really. Wait and see if there is a need for them, and try to hold off as long as possible. If it looks like there is a gaping hole in the defense or offensive game, throw one out there, you never know what you're going to get. With Bohl's clock ticking, we might see some more desperate moves...for once.

Bison"FANatic"
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I sure hope we don't pull the shirts on the receivers. A year of learning the offense is just about a must for a receiver. It is very tough to perform at a high level as a freshman at receiver at any level. One would hope that a few of the 8 non freshmen at WR can get the job done and it allows us to keep the shirts on.

Notorious
07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't pull any redshirts! We blew it last year with Ojiri...dumb move. It should be rare to have to pull a redshirt. Shouldn't we be so loaded that only an extremely "special" TF would have the ability to even hit the field???

GradBison
07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Don't pull any redshirts! We blew it last year with Ojiri...dumb move. It should be rare to have to pull a redshirt. Shouldn't we be so loaded that only an extremely "special" TF would have the ability to even hit the field???

I agree that pulling Ojuri's redshirt was a dumb move, be he isn't even on the roster now.

I hope all the receivers get to redshirt, we should be ok there. Remember when we were raving about Cooper and Powell-Calhoun? Howard looked good in spring ball is well.

Unfortunately, a LB playing at true freshman seem inevitable (that's 3 years in a row).

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Unless the Frosh is a substantial upgrade from the existing starter, it is crazy
to play right away, instead of waiting till the kid is a mature 5th yr senior. Olson "may" be ready physically, but there is so much to learn in a short period of time.

Scooter1
07-29-2010, 06:52 PM
No way do we go 3-8 if we hadn't pulled Ramon Humber's redshirt. We all pissed and moaned about the seeming lack of a leader on defense. The senior class had a hell of a leader, we just traded it for fifty snaps of play five years ago.:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

This robbing Peter to pay Paul bullshit has to stop sometime. Four years from now we will be pissing and moaning about Pierre, Ollman, Jemmison, Sigers, Ojuri being gone and maybe we can pull some redshirts again.:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

BTW...large font because I can't find my glasses.:blush:

lakesbison
07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
So what if we pull redshirts, WE"LLL RELOAD.

the #1 selling point of NDSU for a recruit that is contemplating playing at NDSU or going to redshirt in the MAC/WAC or BIG 10/12 is to PLAY RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!

sorry, its the truth and we have to sell our program that way to get those higher profile kids.

mebisonII
07-29-2010, 07:08 PM

the #1 selling point of NDSU for a recruit that is contemplating playing at NDSU or going to redshirt in the MAC/WAC or BIG 10/12 is to PLAY RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!

sorry, its the truth and we have to sell our program that way to get those higher profile kids.

Really?? Do kids really want to play right away as freshmen? I can understand being excited to get on the field, but I would think most HS athletes, especially those good enough to get FBS looks, would have enough foresite to see the benefit of a redshirt year.

Now when its "play at NDSU" versus, "ride the bench at Big State U", then I think you'd have a point.

Notorious
07-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Really?? Do kids really want to play right away as freshmen? I can understand being excited to get on the field, but I would think most HS athletes, especially those good enough to get FBS looks, would have enough foresite to see the benefit of a redshirt year.

Now when its "play at NDSU" versus, "ride the bench at Big State U", then I think you'd have a point.

Thank you! I didn't want to have to argue with my idol !

56BISON73
07-29-2010, 07:14 PM

So lying to a kid that he could play right away when in fact its VERY doubtful that he will is a good recruiting ploy??? I think the coaches will differ with you on that subject.

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Just my opinion, but if a guy can play right away and break the top 2, I think he needs to play. I don't want to sacrifice a win or two, or possibly even a playoff spot, just to allow an individual player a 5th year. NDSU needs to be about winning, not about guys getting 5 years as opposed to 4.

bisonmike2
07-29-2010, 07:19 PM

The last 2 years somebody replaced our ammo with blanks.

Notorious
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't know sh*t, but long-term success comes to those that build a program which has the luxury of being able to redshirt the majority of freshmen, if not all...

mebisonII
07-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Serious question: If a player has a redshirt pulled, do they still get 5 years of scholly?

DjKyRo
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Serious question: If a player has a redshirt pulled, do they still get 5 years of scholly?

Negatory. Only four. Had Ojuri remained on the team he would be a Sophomore on the roster right now.

Bison"FANatic"
07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I do believe they still get 5 years to get their education and it is paid for. I remember that right from a coach. Ojuri may be different as that is a disciplinary situation.

lakesbison
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh cmon guys. You know dang well if you are Bohl or Tim P and you got a Kid like Grant Olson sitting in front of you and he has an offer from Wyoming and Army, you wouldnt say

"listen Grant, we'd love for you to come to NDSU, you'd have a SHOT at playing right away, if you goto Wyoming, Army, you will be redshirting 99% of the time"

WHY WOULDNT YOU SELL THAT WAY??? You dont have to promise them anything or a spot, you just throw it out there. geesh, glad you guys aint salesmen!

p.s- and If we ever want to get a FBS 3-4 star recruit to choose NDSU you HAVE TO let him know that he "COULD" play here right away.

Notorious
07-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Odd as it may sound, I would just go with the "honesty" approach....as in "we want you here, and quite frankly, unless there is a unique circumstance, we want you and all of our incoming freshmen to redshirt. This will allow you and your teammates the opportunity to mature and grow into the program, while allowing us to build a longstanding winning tradition to be admired by all of FCS football. If we can consistently do that, you will be part of National Championship team while you're here. And, from a selfish standpoint, it will also give you the best chance of playing at the next level."....seems easy enough.

But, maybe your used car salesmen/Amway method is the way to go and our coaches should lie (I mean, avoid the truth) with incoming recruits???

tony
07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
If I was a coach at NDSU and people were calling for my head, you damn well better believe that I'd pull the redshirt of every kid I thought would contribute to winning games this year. :)

"I want you fired if you don't produce this year and, btw, we want you to plan for the future."

That said, in DI, unlike D2, guys have five years to play four years* and lots of things can happen in that time that will cause a guy to miss a season (see Ojuri.)

* Sometimes you petition the NCAA to get a sixth year but it is not that common.

ndsubison1
07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
No way do we go 3-8 if we hadn't pulled Ramon Humber's redshirt. We all pissed and moaned about the seeming lack of a leader on defense. The senior class had a hell of a leader, we just traded it for fifty snaps of play five years ago.:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

This robbing Peter to pay Paul bullshit has to stop sometime. Four years from now we will be pissing and moaning about Pierre, Ollman, Jemmison, Sigers, Ojuri being gone and maybe we can pull some redshirts again.:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

BTW...large font because I can't find my glasses.:blush:

We had to play some of those guys though. Like this year we will have to play one or two true frosh LBs

Notorious
07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
We had to play some of those guys though. Like this we will have to play one or two true frosh LBs

Or we would've went 2-9.....

56BISON73
07-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Odd as it may sound, I would just go with the "honesty" approach....as in "we want you here, and quite frankly, unless there is a unique circumstance, we want you and all of our incoming freshmen to redshirt. This will allow you and your teammates the opportunity to mature and grow into the program, while allowing us to build a longstanding winning tradition to be admired by all of FCS football. If we can consistently do that, you will be part of National Championship team while you're here. And, from a selfish standpoint, it will also give you the best chance of playing at the next level."....seems easy enough.

But, maybe your used car salesmen/Amway method is the way to go and our coaches should lie (I mean, avoid the truth) with incoming recruits???

Mankato tried the "you could play as a freshman" with me. When I told NDSU that they explained that NDSU doesnt guarantee playing time. They explained that they had depth at my two recruited positions and that your freshman year was for development etc etc etc. That the only way that I would see the field was if I somehow blew up over the summer and or they had a RASH of injuries. They also said that if Mankato was telling me that I would play as a freshman that I had to take a second look and REALLY reevaluate their(mankatos) program and why they would guarantee me playing time.

Used car salesman tactics leads to nothing more than a loss of credibility which will spread like wild fire through the recruiting ranks. It also shows very poor form.
NDSU doesnt need to go down that path.

Siouxfallsbison
07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I was at the golf outing in Grand Forks, and Bohl made it sound like Olson, Vraa, and Gebhart are all possibly gonna get their redshirts pulled.

Gebhart played in the South Dakota All-star game last night and had 5 receptions for 74yds and a touchdown. Had two nice diving catches. He also had an interception on defense. and about 6 tackles. He rushed one time for 13 yards and returned a punt 50 yards. His team won 28-17. :D

HandoEX
07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Gebhart played in the South Dakota All-star game last night and had 5 receptions for 74yds and a touchdown. Had two nice diving catches. He also had an interception on defense. and about 6 tackles. He rushed one time for 13 yards and returned a punt 50 yards. His team won 28-17. :D

Nice night! What are your thoughts on redshirting for Trevor?

mgbison
07-30-2010, 03:54 PM
We need help on special teams. I know it's not popular or ideal, but we need people to play on special teams. This is what happens when you have no depth in the receiving, lb, and secondary positions. The backups are the stars of the special teams. A good example is when kids, like Horner, quit the team. He may have never been a position player, but he was good on the special team units. Sometimes players have to accept their role.

ndsubison1
07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Or we would've went 2-9.....

Or we would've started only 2 LBs :D

Notorious
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Or we would've started only 2 LBs :D

Dont argue with me, or TAB will put posters up of you in every major metropolitan city in the U.S. and Africa...you are mine boi...haha :)

TransAmBison
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Dont argue with me, or TAB will put posters up of you in every major metropolitan city in the U.S. and Africa...you are mine boi...haha :)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fightin' Bison
07-30-2010, 10:36 PM
You put your best players on the field whether they are true freshman or 6th year seniors. Starters, special teams, back ups, whatever. If they earn it, they play. Don't care about 5 years from now. There's a kid in 8th grade will come in and take that spot in 5 years. He's growing little bison horns right now.

Anyone who thinks NDSU should have had Humber play a 5th year for free when he was able to make a living in the NFL that year is exhibiting a fair amount of selfishness.

BisoninNWMN
07-31-2010, 01:58 AM

Well, I hope they are better this year, cus they were piss/poor last year.

TransAmBison
07-31-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I was kind of wondering where he pulled that out of too.:hide:

Tatanka
07-31-2010, 03:30 AM
Yeah, I was kind of wondering where he pulled that out of too.:hide:
Funny, your mom said the same thing.

WildBill
07-31-2010, 03:49 AM

Vraa would really benefit from a redshirt. Give him a chance to work on his routes.

BadlandsBison
07-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Vraa would really benefit from a redshirt. Give him a chance to work on his routes.

I realy hope Bohl could redshirt every freshman this year. And honestly, I think we have enough players to get it done without using freshman. That redshirt year really pays off down the road.

DjKyRo
07-31-2010, 08:13 AM

I dunno, Gary Williams' 95-yard catch wasn't too shabby. I think inexperience more than anything hurt us at the WR spot last year - guys expecting to be third/fourth or deeper in the two deep were suddenly thrust into more active roles with the departures of Shultenover and Haynes, so I'm not going to throw them under the bus so readily. They looked good in spring ball, right down to some of the walk-ons (I'm looking at you, Brady Hansen!).

TransAmBison
07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I dunno, Gary Williams' 95-yard catch wasn't too shabby. I think inexperience more than anything hurt us at the WR spot last year - guys expecting to be third/fourth or deeper in the two deep were suddenly thrust into more active roles with the departures of Shultenover and Haynes, so I'm not going to throw them under the bus so readily. They looked good in spring ball, right down to some of the walk-ons (I'm looking at you, Brady Hansen!).
Gary Williams has had one good catch in his whole career here. That was it. He has been a bust as far as I'm concerned.

BisoninNWMN
07-31-2010, 01:04 PM

Young guys or not....nobody stepped up last year and became the go-to receiver.

Teams or going to stack the line until we prove we can consistently pass the ball. QB has a lot to do with that but our receiver play was horrible last year.

This is a new year and I'm looking forward to seeing this team play.

GO BISON

NDSUstudent
07-31-2010, 02:22 PM

Teams or going to stack the line until we prove we can consistently pass the ball. QB has a lot to do with that but our receiver play was horrible last year.

GO BISON

I'd say Warren Holloway stepped up but after that good receiver play was virtually non-existent.

BisonNeil
07-31-2010, 03:37 PM

I think you are confusing "piss/poor" quarterbacking last year with receiving. I would ask how the hell you can tell the WR were "piss/poor" when they were either thrown the ball over their heads or behind them. Remember, Mertens made one of the best receivers in Bison football history look "piss/poor".

Personally, I think WRs are the last group of true Fr we need to pull redshirts off. I don't think Gebhardt and Vraa have a snowball chance in hell of being better than Wahlo who has had a year with the offense. Or have you and all of the rest of the BVers forgotten how much we loved him when he signed? Besides, Vraa and Gebhardt have run like 3-5 patterns in their life. You think they are going to learn the Bison offense in 14 weeks and have in impact? Not a chance in hell.

Holloway and Howard are going to be damn good. Mack and Williams, if he can get healthy, will be more than serviceable. I agree Williams hasn't done anything but he has been hurt nearly his entire career. If he can stay healthy he will turn some head, I guarantee it.

I simply don't get the love fest everyone has with the current recruiting class. Yes, they are great on paper, a wonderful class, much better than Bohl's pre-2009 bunch, but unless there is a glaring need, such as LB, I don't see any of them contributing this year. They are, after all, true freshman and don't know crap about DI football, yet.

BisoninNWMN
07-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Well, I disagree with you Neil.

Yes, our QB play was very poor from Mertens but our receivers ran poor routes, dropped balls and had inconsistent blocking downfield.

This is a new year and players improve so I am hoping our WRs have improved and gained some experience.

If these true freshman receivers can play, I would put them in. Put the best players on the field.

It would be nice to have a WR like we had in Travis White/Heckendorf, where they have the knack of getting open and consistently getting us a 1st down.

We'll see how these WRs have progressed.

GO BISON

NDSUFan_Sav
07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Gary Williams has had one good catch in his whole career here. That was it. He has been a bust as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you to a point, yeah I agree he's had 1 good catch but then again we didn't really have the best passing game the last couple years. I'm not saying he'll pan out his sr year or not...just saying we've had a weak passing offense, I do like some of our WRs though.

A1pigskin
08-02-2010, 05:36 PM

GO BISON

I agree. Last years receiving was embarassing.

westnodak93bison
08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Hard to have a good passing game with subpar QB and WR play. Neither helped the other imho. Oh well, time to move on.

AEBison1998
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
We've all heard that the LB spot in the tampa 2 is challenging to learn because it is complicated. I went back and checked and we have some unusually bright guys that were recruited. Emmanuel, Carter, and Olson are all extremely gifted academically. That might help the learning curve. It doesn't hurt that they are all over 220 already as well.

Herd
08-08-2010, 03:22 PM
We've all heard that the LB spot in the tampa 2 is challenging to learn because it is complicated. I went back and checked and we have some unusually bright guys that were recruited. Emmanuel, Carter, and Olson are all extremely gifted academically. That might help the learning curve. It doesn't hurt that they are all over 220 already as well.

I don't want to sacrifice the 2010 season, but Grant or Carter would be very valuable in a 5th season championship run. I hope that redshirts aren't pulled so these guys can cover kickoffs.

Kermit
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't want to sacrifice the 2010 season, but Grant or Carter would be very valuable in a 5th season championship run. I hope that redshirts aren't pulled so these guys can cover kickoffs.

Redshirts WILL come off. Bohl said on media day that there may be more true freshmen playing for the Bison than ever before. Of course, there are pros and cons to this trend, but it is reality. A small silver lining in the linebacker situation is that the Bison have 5 true freshman linebackers and only one scholarship sophomore linebacker. If a couple of true freshmen play this year, it will help to balance out the classes.

Kids like Olson, Carter, Emmanuel, Heagle, Dudzik, Vraa, Gebhart, and Hinz ARE more physically ready to play right away than the freshmen of years ago. These kids don't LOOK like the freshmen of bygone days. It has already been pointed out that many of these kids are also very good students who are capable of learning quickly. Certainly, they will have much to learn.

No one can argue that it is never IDEAL to be FORCED to play true freshmen. Unfortunately, circumstances are not ideal.

silkamilkamonico
08-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Redshirts WILL come off. Bohl said on media day that there may be more true freshmen playing for the Bison than ever before.

Good, and I think that's a great thing. If a gu yis good enough to push starting playing time as a true freshmen, he needs to play right away, IMHO.

I can respect that people want to save a talented freshmen for a 5th year because he will be better, but I look at the team approach and do not want to sacrifice the other 79 players, for the sake of that 1.

Kermit
08-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I can respect that people want to save a talented freshmen for a 5th year because he will be better, but I look at the team approach and do not want to sacrifice the other 79 players, for the sake of that 1.

I can see both sides of the redshirt argument, but I certainly don't think that redshirting is selfish or solely "for the sake of 1." I think it is a matter of balancing the long-term needs of the program with the immediate needs of the team, as well as balancing the desire of the young player to see the field immediately with his long-term development.

NDSU and other good college football programs have had a tradition of redshirting freshmen for very good reasons, but times are changing. Among the factors driving the change are increasing pressure on coaches to win now, changing expectations of young players and their families, and better strength and conditioning programs in high schools.

lakesbison
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
5 shirts pulled already, up to 8 are possible.

AEBison1998
08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I used to be on the don't pull redshirt's page. But I've changed my mind. The best kids should play. It's up the the coaches to recruit a kid the next year that is as good or better than the one they pulled the redshirt on. We need that kind of confidenct and effectiveness in the recruiting trail.

Herd
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Redshirts WILL come off. Bohl said on media day that there may be more true freshmen playing for the Bison than ever before. Of course, there are pros and cons to this trend, but it is reality. A small silver lining in the linebacker situation is that the Bison have 5 true freshman linebackers and only one scholarship sophomore linebacker. If a couple of true freshmen play this year, it will help to balance out the classes.

Kids like Olson, Carter, Emmanuel, Heagle, Dudzik, Vraa, Gebhart, and Hinz ARE more physically ready to play right away than the freshmen of years ago. These kids don't LOOK like the freshmen of bygone days. It has already been pointed out that many of these kids are also very good students who are capable of learning quickly. Certainly, they will have much to learn.

No one can argue that it is never IDEAL to be FORCED to play true freshmen. Unfortunately, circumstances are not ideal.

Yes I am well aware of what the coach said, but as I stated, those guys would be the key to winning a championship in their 5th year if they were redshirted. I hope they will be pulled because they will be playing, not because they would be covering kicks. Could you imagine another year from a guy with the talent of a Ramon Humber? Sometimes you give up a monster 5th year for a guys to cover kicks and play a series or two a game as a Freshman.

tony
08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes I am well aware of what the coach said, but as I stated, those guys would be the key to winning a championship in their 5th year if they were redshirted. I hope they will be pulled because they will be playing, not because they would be covering kicks. Could you imagine another year from a guy with the talent of a Ramon Humber? Sometimes you give up a monster 5th year for a guys to cover kicks and play a series or two a game.

Call me cynical, but looking at last year's team, it's more likely that Ramon would have gotten injured or suspended than playing (after all, his roommate, Schultenover was a fifth year senior - I guess redshirting him paid off for... Concordia - St Paul.)

BTW, I'm so old that I remember when NDSU used to be criticized for redshirting kids. :)

OldBison
08-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Bohl said on media day that there may be more true freshmen playing for the Bison than ever before.

Did you hear him say that? The reason I question what he said is that I heard from two different TV sports anchors that Bohl said "more freshman" would be playing for the Bison than ever before. I took that to mean redshirt and/or true freshman.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Kermit
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Did you hear him say that? The reason I question what he said is that I heard from two different TV sports anchors that Bohl said "more freshman" would be playing for the Bison than ever before. I took that to mean redshirt and/or true freshman.:confused: :confused: :confused:

I may well have misinterpreted and mangled what I heard.

Kermit
08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Excellent Bison FB segment on WDAY Sports Talk today with both Kolpack and Izzo participating. Kolpack said that Jesse Hinz AND Billy Turner may play as true freshmen O-linemen! :eek:

Grant Olson is almost a sure thing. More likely to come..

tony
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Excellent Bison FB segment on WDAY Sports Talk today with both Kolpack and Izzo participating. Kolpack said that Jesse Hinz AND Billy Turner may play as true freshmen O-linemen! :eek:

Yeah, it was pretty good segment! They were really down on the WRs - they had droptacular practice, I guess. Also warning about lack of depth at every position except running back so that position is well and truly jinxed now. Reported that Ryan Smith had a TD run against the #1 defense to end practice that was um-freaking-believable - broke three tackles. Hopefully that's Ryan's talent showing and not the Bison D's struggles with tickling... er, I mean tackling.

lakesbison
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Grant Olson's Redshirt is off. "JOE" will be in play by the UNI game!

Fightin' Bison
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM

This is more an indictment of how weak the Bison are at these positions than a statement of how good these kids are. You play your best players, and if true freshman are the best, then they play. You have to question why true freshman are beating out upper classmen, though. Especially on the o-line. Wow.

Tatanka
08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Good update from Kolpack:
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/08/10/wont-be-long-before-olson-loses-redshirt/

SDbison
08-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Not to steal Lakes thunder, but I called the red-shirt would likely get pulled from Grant Olson. He is a beast.

tony
08-10-2010, 10:21 PM
This is more an indictment of how weak the Bison are at these positions than a statement of how good these kids are.

Have you seen Turner and Hinz? I guess the radio guys were pretty impressed (Kolpack didn't get a good look at Hinz but I guess Turner stands out a bit.) These two are supposed to represent a new level of recruit for NDSU.

In the old days, NDSU hardly ever had kids play in the OL as freshman (Campion was one), but in the old days, people used to say that NDSU didn't recruit offensive linemen, they made them. Now NDSU isn't converting tall TEs and DEs to OL. That said, I wish these guys could redshirt.

OldBison
08-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Have you seen Turner and Hinz? I guess the radio guys were pretty impressed (Kolpack didn't get a good look at Hinz but I guess Turner stands out a bit.) These two are supposed to represent a new level of recruit for NDSU.

In the old days, NDSU hardly ever had kids play in the OL as freshman (Campion was one), but in the old days, people used to say that NDSU didn't recruit offensive linemen, they made them. Now NDSU isn't converting tall TEs and DEs to OL. That said, I wish these guys could redshirt.

That is one way to spin it.

Another is that the 2009 class may not have been as good as advertised. If Turner can have his redshirt pulled as a true freshman, what does that say about Jacobs and Jerve? They have been in the system a year and everyone thought they were great recruits. No so? Does this mean that Bohl has only actually had one decent recruiting class, as in a complete one where all are DI players? Or is this just more hyperBohl? :hide: :hide:

ndsubison1
08-11-2010, 02:44 AM
We get it. You dont like Bohl...

lakesbison
08-11-2010, 02:58 AM
OLDBISON.

it means that BILLY TURNER is da BOMB! every think of that?

bisonpride4ever
08-11-2010, 05:01 AM
if they can play consistently at a high level, who cares how old they are, LET THEM PLAY!!! LET THEM PLAY!!!

NDSUstudent
08-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Listened to Vigen on The Fan and he said that both Hinz and Turner were very far along in their development and they are still looking at possibly lifting their redshirts. He also spoke highly of Ryan Smith and said they were kind of looking at him.

He also said that Vraa was going to redshirt even before his injury. For those wondering about QB he thought that Jensen is the furthest along than any QB at NDSU that he has seen at this point in their career.

steelbison
08-13-2010, 08:33 PM
That is one way to spin it.

Another is that the 2009 class may not have been as good as advertised. If Turner can have his redshirt pulled as a true freshman, what does that say about Jacobs and Jerve? They have been in the system a year and everyone thought they were great recruits. No so? Does this mean that Bohl has only actually had one decent recruiting class, as in a complete one where all are DI players? Or is this just more hyperBohl? :hide: :hide:

OldBison, you can't slight Jacobs and Jerve, they have potential and will definitely be starters in the next year or two. If your starting as a Soph/Jr that is the avg for an O-lineman.

The freshman who you are talking about according to my sources are recruits that are just that good. In otherwards a cut above what we have had.

I don't see how that is a bad thing.

NDSUstudent
08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
OldBison, you can't slight Jacobs and Jerve, they have potential and will definitely be starters in the next year or two. If your starting as a Soph/Jr that is the avg for an O-lineman.

The freshman who you are talking about according to my sources are recruits that are just that good. In otherwards a cut above what we have had.

I don't see how that is a bad thing.

Lets keep in mind that both Jacobs and Jerve had injuries. I believe Jerve was hurt in one of the first plays of the spring game.

ndsubison1
08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Article on Billy Turner by Kolpack:

It wasn’t long after offensive lineman Billy Turner arrived at North Dakota State that some Bison football players wondered aloud the following question: How did NDSU sign him away from a major conference school?

For good reason. He’s big. He’s smart. He moves well. And, most likely, he’s going to play this year, which for a true freshman on the offensive line is practically unheard of.

And my favorite:

“Who wouldn’t want to go play with their older brother?” Billy Turner said. “I just liked North Dakota State a lot more than down there in Cedar Falls.”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287844/group/Sports/

BisoninNWMN
08-14-2010, 01:16 PM
If a true freshman is ready to play and help the team....then pull the shirt.

6-6 --- 295 and can move well....we need depth on the line.

Wow...these kids are coming in huge....:D

BisonNeil
08-14-2010, 02:55 PM
If a true freshman is ready to play and help the team....then pull the shirt.

6-6 --- 295 and can move well....we need depth on the line.

Wow...these kids are coming in huge....:D

I read this in the paper this AM. The roster has him as 6'6" and 280 and I thought that was huge! (I wonder which is correct?)

EndZoneQB
08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
I read this in the paper this AM. The roster has him as 6'6" and 280 and I thought that was huge! (I wonder which is correct?)

Well, he was the tallest player on the O-line today by far. He stood out physically. I could pick him out of a crowd easily. He looks like a 5th year senior at this level. Extremely impressive IMO.

Herd
08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
You put your best players on the field whether they are true freshman or 6th year seniors. Starters, special teams, back ups, whatever. If they earn it, they play. Don't care about 5 years from now. There's a kid in 8th grade will come in and take that spot in 5 years. He's growing little bison horns right now.

Anyone who thinks NDSU should have had Humber play a 5th year for free when he was able to make a living in the NFL that year is exhibiting a fair amount of selfishness.

If Humber had redshirted, he would have been under scholarship his fifth year, and we would have been drafted by an NFL team instead of just signing a FA deal. Humber would have been a top MVFC player and FCS standout. He kind of left before he really broke out. His fifth year would have been huge. I think your wrong in this case.

56BISON73
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
If Humber had redshirted, he would have been under scholarship his fifth year, and we would have been drafted by an NFL team instead of just signing a FA deal. Humber would have been a top MVFC player and FCS standout. He kind of left before he really broke out. His fifth year would have been huge. I think your wrong in this case.

The operative word in this scenario is TEAM. Did it benefit the TEAM to have him play that season. His draft status etc is really a none issue when making those decisions at the time.

But then again just May be he wouldnt have developed the way he did if he hadnt gotten that experience?????

AEBison1998
08-14-2010, 10:35 PM

I sat next to Paul Cornick's dad (nice guy). He was looking at my roster for a while to see who was who. He commented that Turner looked bigger than 280. I can't tell 280 from 300 but he probably can. Based on that, I'd say 295 must be more up to date.