PDA

View Full Version : John Welk (St. Mary's)

tony
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
He must be the biggest recruiting target in North Dakota for next year (at least for sprinters.) I've seen some tape of him and he reminds me of Mike Eckroth, a sprinter from Mandan who ran for the Bison in the late 80's / early 90's.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3iUSfDwUU

ndsubison1
07-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Great runner and athlete. Has some injury problems but we should def. be offering him if we havent already

ndsubison1
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Welk signed with Nebraska

IzzyFlexion
02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
21' 8" in the LJ as an 8th grader is most impressive!

BisonJump
02-05-2011, 11:05 PM
He hasn't long jumped for a few years.

IzzyFlexion
02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
He hasn't long jumped for a few years.

Who the hell is the HS coach out there?
An lean athletic leaper that runs 10.6 ish in the 100 meters and goes nearly 22 feet as an 8th grader??
Those are textbook measurables to develop that event for a youngun'. Unless the kid flat out didn't want to compete in that event, I guess.

balla45
02-09-2011, 06:30 AM
He had trouble with his knees for years and broke his leg. I do not think his leg/knee would have been able to take that impact.

sambini
02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Good luck to John at Nebraska.

Castor Troy
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Who the hell is the HS coach out there?
An lean athletic leaper that runs 10.6 ish in the 100 meters and goes nearly 22 feet as an 8th grader??
Those are textbook measurables to develop that event for a youngun'. Unless the kid flat out didn't want to compete in that event, I guess.

Its the non-measurables that matter the most in the long jump. Getting the tip of your toe to match up to the end of a board after screaming down a runway is not easy, especially in the elements of North Dakota. Maybe he became frustrated because he couldn't get on the board.

IzzyFlexion
02-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Its the non-measurables that matter the most in the long jump. Getting the tip of your toe to match up to the end of a board after screaming down a runway is not easy, especially in the elements of North Dakota. Maybe he became frustrated because he couldn't get on the board.

I guess that's where I was headed when posing the question regarding coaching/guidance.
If he went nearly 22 feet as an 8th grader, he surely must have a pretty good grasp of all of the important componenets that translate into a successful outcome in the LJ.
If he has been evaluated to have the tools to be an FBS football player, I would assume that he posesses the ability to learn to perform a fanatastic takeoff with repetition and coaching.
1) footwork
2) body awareness
3) the ability to transition from blazing horizontal speed to explosive verticality and distance in a split second.

SDbison
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
John Welk commited to Nebraska.....that should be enough to kill this thread.