PDA

View Full Version : Terry V

SDSUAlum08
07-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Here's a link about recruting in the last Sunday's Argusleader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100718/SPORTS02/7180312/1002/sports

Here's another follow up from this last Sunday's paper in the Argus. It talks about recruiting, etc.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a7531a701-437e-447e-bebd-d9d4bdaac87d&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

On another note, you guys are right about the Forum. Terry V has stuff in the Argus all the time. Yesterday he wrote about the basketball teams going to Canada this summer (I think NDSU did this a few years ago too right?) and today he wrote an article on the Sioux Falls Sports Authority trying to get the NCAA Women's Basketball Tourney to the arena in Sioux Falls. They need to pick it up a little bit.

Anyways, both of these links talk about NDSU. Not trying to start anything I just thought you guys would be interested.

EndZoneQB
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
That 2nd recruiting article was actually decent and not so SDSU biased. I can't believe schools are throwing out 100s of offers...that seems ludicrous...

ndsubison1
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
See. I wish the Foolem had a beat writer for NDSU like TV. People say nothing is going on. I agree not much is, but he still finds ways to put up little articles and blurbs regularly. No excuses.

bisonmike2
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
That 2nd recruiting article was actually decent and not so SDSU biased. I can't believe schools are throwing out 100s of offers...that seems ludicrous...

I agree. Nice article. The Argus Leader...where I go to get all my info on Bison Athletics.

ndsubison1
07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Also, maybe this is a result of the NCAA about to rule on NOT allowing schools to offer/contact recruits before July 1 after their junior season. It could potentially pass and maybe some schools are doing a little extra effort because of it

bisonhusker
07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
The elephant in the room that Terry won't touch is Men's basketball. Nagy got rid of several kids last year, some more quit the team, and Nagy has not replaced them at all. He can't even fill a roster right now....unless I am missing something. I know SDSU fans are spinning this as a positive, but I am hearing the internal rumblings among players isn't very positive. Losing brings this on, and it isn't fun. I expected them to fill up those spots quickly, I honestly thought he had people waiting in the wings and that is why he cut some of those kids.

Minneapolis Jack
07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
The elephant in the room that Terry won't touch is Men's basketball. Nagy got rid of several kids last year, some more quit the team, and Nagy has not replaced them at all. He can't even fill a roster right now....unless I am missing something. I know SDSU fans are spinning this as a positive, but I am hearing the internal rumblings among players isn't very positive. Losing brings this on, and it isn't fun. I expected them to fill up those spots quickly, I honestly thought he had people waiting in the wings and that is why he cut some of those kids.

It's been covered pretty extensively in Terry V's weekly live chats.

2 Colorado players who never saw time transfered out. (one ended up at USF, the other has been mentioned to be looking in the Black Hills region) 1 transferred because of playing time, the player who ended up at USF had his scholly pulled (which is strange because he came to SDSU because he is a family friend of the Nagy's)

Back-up JR PG Mike Palarca left the team to move back to California to be with his family and small child. He accepted a job working for his wife's father. Had positive things to say about coach and program.

Starting C Anthony Cordova has a similar story. Graduates soon, has a small child to support and has a back injury that makes BBall tough. He also left on good terms and said the back pain affected his season last year. Still is close with the team and supports the program and coach.

We add 2 true freshmen 6'10 Marcus Heemstra & 6'9 Jordan Dykstra. We also have picked 2 JUCO's. A 6'0" back-up PG from Kansas, and a 6'8" PF/C from Arizona.

It's hard to predict how the team will do next year with so much turnover but my guess is that we'll be middle of the pack again. Still have talented players with Sargent & Wolters, but there will need to be alot of heavy lifting by our young players.

lakesbison
07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
OOOOOH BOY! do they hunt + fish + enjoy being 2nd fiddle to the chick team??

bisonmike2
07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I think it's funny how it's a nice civil conversation, then BOOM! Lakes comes out of nowhere and drops insults. He's like the extra wrestler that comes out of the locker room to aid his buddy. You know that guys going to come out eventually and deliver a chair to the back of someone's head but you're always just a little bit surprised by when and how.

tcbison
07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I think it's funny how it's a nice civil conversation, then BOOM! Lakes comes out of nowhere and drops insults. He's like the extra wrestler that comes out of the locker room to aid his buddy. You know that guys going to come out eventually and deliver a chair to the back of someone's head but you're always just a little bit surprised by when and how.

Now this is funny. Especially the part where Lakes is like a wrestler. I know is it an analogy but can you picture Lakes as a wrestler? :rofl:

bisonmike2
07-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Now this is funny. Especially the part where Lakes is like a wrestler. I know is it an analogy but can you picture Lakes as a wrestler? :rofl:

http://thingscoolerthantoothpaste.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/hacksaw.jpg
I imagine him to look something like this.

Greenie
07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Probably more like this...

EndZoneQB
07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Probably more like this...

I told her what time it was...

lakesbison
07-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I 'KNOW' this will surprise you, but my hero in wrestling growin up was JIMMY HART 'THE MOUTH OF THE SOUTH' !! with his checkered megaphone.

love me or hate.me, I ALWAYS have your back bison fans

onbison09
07-21-2010, 09:50 PM

I know this is a thread drift and I know some of you get pissed about me bringing him up but Jackson Jeffcoat (the number 1-8 recruit in the nation depending on who you look at) got multiple letters (and I'm guessing offers :D) from some D3 (seriously) school in NY. I think a big problem is how the extensively covered the recruiting is every year. Everyone knows every offer the kids get and fans of schools bitch when their teams doesn't offer a kid when in reality they probably had little chance of getting him.

bisonhusker
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
It's been covered pretty extensively in Terry V's weekly live chats.

2 Colorado players who never saw time transfered out. (one ended up at USF, the other has been mentioned to be looking in the Black Hills region) 1 transferred because of playing time, the player who ended up at USF had his scholly pulled (which is strange because he came to SDSU because he is a family friend of the Nagy's)

Back-up JR PG Mike Palarca left the team to move back to California to be with his family and small child. He accepted a job working for his wife's father. Had positive things to say about coach and program.

Starting C Anthony Cordova has a similar story. Graduates soon, has a small child to support and has a back injury that makes BBall tough. He also left on good terms and said the back pain affected his season last year. Still is close with the team and supports the program and coach.

We add 2 true freshmen 6'10 Marcus Heemstra & 6'9 Jordan Dykstra. We also have picked 2 JUCO's. A 6'0" back-up PG from Kansas, and a 6'8" PF/C from Arizona.

It's hard to predict how the team will do next year with so much turnover but my guess is that we'll be middle of the pack again. Still have talented players with Sargent & Wolters, but there will need to be alot of heavy lifting by our young players.

Good post, my question is that the two solid recruits in Heemstra and Dykstra are coming in because of the graduation of a couple kids, who is replacing these 4 kids who just left suddenly? Are you even going to fill the entire roster? I think a Juco PG (Who I do not think won a game last year, I could be wrong) was added late as well, but this has to be a huge hit on Nagy at this point. I honestly thought SDSU was on the verge of being something, but you don't win with young post players and no depth. I like Dykstra and Heemstra, they are going to be very good in the Summit. Some great stories out there about how Marshall Bjorkland played against Dykstra at the Iowa State camps.

Minneapolis Jack
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Good post, my question is that the two solid recruits in Heemstra and Dykstra are coming in because of the graduation of a couple kids, who is replacing these 4 kids who just left suddenly? Are you even going to fill the entire roster? I think a Juco PG (Who I do not think won a game last year, I could be wrong) was added late as well, but this has to be a huge hit on Nagy at this point. I honestly thought SDSU was on the verge of being something, but you don't win with young post players and no depth. I like Dykstra and Heemstra, they are going to be very good in the Summit. Some great stories out there about how Marshall Bjorkland played against Dykstra at the Iowa State camps.

Since the two players that transferred weren't going to play anyways, we really didn't lose them besides having practice bodies and emergency depth. The hope is that the JUCO PG and JUCO Post will replace Palarca & AC's minutes. (I haven't seen them play so I'm not sure if they will be replace their talent or not.)

I too thought that SDSU was on the up, but now we are back to rebuilding again. Just like the Bison football program, I feel like you can only chalk up so much to coincidence and bad luck. I'd like to see Nagy coach this team for the next couple years and if we don't finish in the top 3 in the Summit I wouldn't be opposed to looking elsewhere.

The bright side for Jacks fans is that the past two classes are supposed to be the best in SDSU history. The bad part is I'm not too fond of relying on Freshman & Sophomore's for success. I'm guessing we'll look good at times, and awful at times.

Line-up:
PG So Wolters / JUCO JR
SG SR Sargent / SR Moss
SF RFR White / JR Callahan
PF FR Dykstra / JUCO JR
PF SO Fiegen / FR Heemstra

Add in RFR SG Carlson and SDSU still has 11 players that can contribute good mintues with a couple more walk-on/bench players. The cupboard isn't bare, just young.

SDSUAlum08
07-21-2010, 11:05 PM

I agree with this to some degree. Minneapolis Jack touched on most of it though. I think it's hard to put so much pressure on a guy who 1) had so much success in D-2 and 2) brought you through the transition. I think he has this year and next year to get it done. Any longer or anymore big issues with players leaving, he's probably going to be gone and should be in my opinion. I still think he's a great coach and he'd probably be successful somewhere else, but sometimes things just need a change. I think you can relate this to NDSU with Bohl in a way. But Bohl has'nt had the amount of years that Nagy has. Bohl's just had issues the last 2 years.

MN_BISON
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
So here's my question, TV said in his article that NDSU has 35 offers out and in another thread about Bohl being on the radio it says 18 offers and that came from the coach, so which is it? I know TV likes to make NDSU look like the big bad monster in the room that is pushing his buddy Stig into speeding things up and to a lesser degree that jackass down in Vermtown.

Minneapolis Jack
07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
So here's my question, TV said in his article that NDSU has 35 offers out and in another thread about Bohl being on the radio it says 18 offers and that came from the coach, so which is it? I know TV likes to make NDSU look like the big bad monster in the room that is pushing his buddy Stig into speeding things up and to a lesser degree that jackass down in Vermtown.

Rivals says there are 19 offers out for NDSU so who knows. It read like TV got his Bison info from recruiting coordinator Tim Polasek, but like he stated in the piece, coaches could be throwing out info to throw other programs off.

Hammersmith
07-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Quite a few of our offers were to FBS-bound players. I wonder if the 35 number was the total that have been offered so far and the 18 is the number of offers that haven't committed elsewhere.

ndsubison1
07-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Since the two players that transferred weren't going to play anyways, we really didn't lose them besides having practice bodies and emergency depth. The hope is that the JUCO PG and JUCO Post will replace Palarca & AC's minutes. (I haven't seen them play so I'm not sure if they will be replace their talent or not.)

I too thought that SDSU was on the up, but now we are back to rebuilding again. Just like the Bison football program, I feel like you can only chalk up so much to coincidence and bad luck. I'd like to see Nagy coach this team for the next couple years and if we don't finish in the top 3 in the Summit I wouldn't be opposed to looking elsewhere.

The bright side for Jacks fans is that the past two classes are supposed to be the best in SDSU history. The bad part is I'm not too fond of relying on Freshman & Sophomore's for success. I'm guessing we'll look good at times, and awful at times.

Line-up:
PG So Wolters / JUCO JR
SG SR Sargent / SR Moss
SF RFR White / JR Callahan
PF FR Dykstra / JUCO JR
PF SO Fiegen / FR Heemstra

Add in RFR SG Carlson and SDSU still has 11 players that can contribute good mintues with a couple more walk-on/bench players. The cupboard isn't bare, just young.

Who's gonna play QB though?

Mr. Burgundy
07-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Rivals says there are 19 offers out for NDSU so who knows. It read like TV got his Bison info from recruiting coordinator Tim Polasek, but like he stated in the piece, coaches could be throwing out info to throw other programs off.

It would be easier on Stig and Muss if Polasek would simply tell the other schools who he was targeting. That way, they could focus their energy at the second tier players that NDSU isn't interested in. Makes it alot easier on everyone really. I sort of was being sarcastic.....but now I am starting to think it was actually pretty factual. Sorry.

jack power
07-22-2010, 01:54 AM
It would be easier on Stig and Muss if Polasek would simply tell the other schools who he was targeting. That way, they could focus their energy at the second tier players that NDSU isn't interested in. Makes it alot easier on everyone really. I sort of was being sarcastic.....but now I am starting to think it was actually pretty factual. Sorry.
That's a good point,lakesbison

Tatanka
07-22-2010, 03:42 AM

Factual, indeed!

lakesbison
07-22-2010, 05:19 AM
HEY, 'jackASS power'... truth hurts,dont it?

its so painfully obvious that the other 3 dakota schools quival over 'Longshank's scraps' copyright Braveheart.

Mr. Burgundy
07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
That's a good point,lakesbison

Relax Jackpower, I said I was sort of joking, because we know Stig does a good job. The sort of part was about Muss, as he actually should call us and ask us who we want so he can avoid us, instead of following us into a kid's home.