PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Band thread

TbonZach
07-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Taking a note from mebisonII last year, here's a place to discuss the 2010 GSMB.

Right now the band is officially at 190 registered members. "Unofficially" it is over 200. We may not have enough uniforms right now to fit everyone.

At one point I knew what shows they'll be playing but I've since forgotten. I believe that one was a wild west show, however.

Should be a great season!

DjKyRo
07-15-2010, 11:54 PM
It's going to be interesting to watch from the stands this year, really looking forward to seeing it from a new perspective. Go band!

roadwarrior
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Looking forward to the biggest and best GSMB!

SDbison
07-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Glad to hear the Marching band is growing in numbers........and keep on improving the music! Now that the red drums are no longer can NDSU trade in those band uniforms and get a credit on some new ones? There is something I don't like about them.......too much green and not enough white? Also think they look kind of frumpy, if thats a word. In general, just not very sharp looking like most bands you see on TV. Hey SDSU fans, you love marching bands, help out with the criticism here, this time its wanted..........

DjKyRo
07-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Most bands you see on TV have multi-million dollar endowments to spend on stuff - the GSMB definitely does not have that kind of budget and it was only some financial finaggling by Chapman that got the new unis in the first place. I wouldn't expect new uniforms for quite some time as they cost some mad bank, particularly when you need to pick up 200+ of them.

BigDeal
07-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah, SDSU fans, how can we get white uniforms that always have dirty stained pant legs?

DjKyRo
07-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Yeah, SDSU fans, how can we get white uniforms that always have dirty stained pant legs?

A field made of mud? :)

Seriously, marching on that sh#t was impossible. Particularly with a sousaphone - you do one turn and go down like a ton of bricks.

SDbison
07-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Most bands you see on TV have multi-million dollar endowments to spend on stuff - the GSMB definitely does not have that kind of budget and it was only some financial finaggling by Chapman that got the new unis in the first place. I wouldn't expect new uniforms for quite some time as they cost some mad bank, particularly when you need to pick up 200+ of them.
Sorry to hear that........just think they made a bad choice then. The current ones are just a tad bit better than butt ugly. You know me, brutally honest.

DjKyRo
07-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Sorry to hear that........just think they made a bad choice then. The current ones are just a tad bit better than butt ugly. You know me, brutally honest.

Fortunately we have three different looks with the breastplate, sash, or buttons. :D

SDbison
07-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Fortunately we have three different looks with the breastplate, sash, or buttons. :D
Glad to hear there are options..........oh crap, did I just post three times in less than 30 minutes regarding how good the band looks in their uniforms? I think I have really gone off the edge......wtf?????

56BISON73
07-16-2010, 03:37 AM
Glad to hear there are options..........oh crap, did I just post three times in less than 30 minutes regarding how good the band looks in their uniforms? I think I have really gone off the edge......wtf?????

I am starting to worry about you. I didnt know you were in to band fashion.:D

Tatanka
07-16-2010, 03:47 AM

Dude. you also used the word "frumpy". myself, i'm looking for the other three horses of the apocalypse.

02Bison
07-16-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm hoping for a little more cowbell this year!

BigDeal
07-16-2010, 09:59 AM
The band's growth is due to the ability to recruit the "right kind of performer." These are kids who looked at bigger schools like the U of M or Nebraska but decided that they wanted to march at NDSU not because of their facilities, but because of the marching staff and the direction of the program. In fact, all band members and their mom's agree that the Gold Star Band "does more with less."

Tatanka
07-16-2010, 12:58 PM
The band's growth is due to the ability to recruit the "right kind of performer." These are kids who looked at bigger schools like the U of M or Nebraska but decided that they wanted to march at NDSU not because of their facilities, but because of the marching staff and the direction of the program. In fact, all band members and their mom's agree that the Gold Star Band "does more with less."

:rofl: well played!

Kermit
07-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Post of the Week! :D

mebisonII
07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
BigDeal, that was fantastic!

Great news to hear about the band! 200 strong sound great...can't wait to see the videos (hint hint: someone get them on youtube/facebook/gobison/etc again!).

DjKyRo
07-16-2010, 04:04 PM
BigDeal, that was fantastic!

Great news to hear about the band! 200 strong sound great...can't wait to see the videos (hint hint: someone get them on youtube/facebook/gobison/etc again!).

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDSUGSMB

mebisonII
07-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDSUGSMB

Sweet, I had seen most of those, but didn't know the band had its own channel.

This awesome piece of work, though, I had not seen:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NDSUGSMB#p/u/0/wzVsdWHwHXw

TbonZach
08-02-2010, 09:52 PM
The band is officially at 203 registered members right now.

Tatanka
08-02-2010, 10:10 PM

HOLY CARP!!!! Excellent!!! :nod:

mebisonII
08-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Awesome, thanks for the update!

Fast50Dad
08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
We need more GSMB through the west lot! You win the crowd favorite every game! Will we see you at Northern Iowa?

Go Bison!

DjKyRo
08-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Speaking purely as an outsider with no eye into the opinions of the administration, I'd say playing @ UNI is a remote possibility. We were scheduled to go there in '08 but finances got caught up as the band grew twice the size in a year, and I have to think we only made SDSU last year due to the proximity of Brookings. If it's going to be any game it's going to be UNI but it might not happen.

TbonZach
08-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Speaking purely as an outsider with no eye into the opinions of the administration, I'd say playing @ UNI is a remote possibility. We were scheduled to go there in '08 but finances got caught up as the band grew twice the size in a year, and I have to think we only made SDSU last year due to the proximity of Brookings. If it's going to be any game it's going to be UNI but it might not happen.

Actually the main reason we didn't go back then was because UNI wouldn't allot us the tickets. This year, however, the band will be going to UNI.

Tatanka
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Actually the main reason we didn't go back then was because UNI wouldn't allot us the tickets. This year, however, the band will be going to UNI.

BISON HOME GAME, indeed!!!

TheBisonator
08-03-2010, 02:19 AM
It's always good for the band to travel to one game per season. Heck, even the Gopher band only travels to one game per season.

Mr. Burgundy
08-03-2010, 02:44 AM

Perfect, they should be able to learn our 3 songs this week and then work on all of the "beer" songs they do. So creative......The alumni from the 40's could join the band without missing a beat.

gobison.gsb
08-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Perfect, they should be able to learn our 3 songs this week and then work on all of the "beer" songs they do. So creative......The alumni from the 40's could join the band without missing a beat.

Sorry you feel that way. We are trying to better the band each year, whether or not it is noticed, I guessed is a matter of opinion. But no, we are not the same as the 40's. On Bison has only been around since 1968.

BisBison
08-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Sorry you feel that way. We are trying to better the band each year, whether or not it is noticed, I guessed is a matter of opinion. But no, we are not the same as the 40's. On Bison has only been around since 1968.

Don'tcha just love a--holes who have nothing but criticism and no ideas of their own?

Mr. Burgundy
08-03-2010, 04:02 AM
You can call me an A hole all you want, just hide behind your computer and don't do that during a tailgate. I have said repeatedly on here that I respect our bands ability, I think they are all tremendous, but I think they play the same stuff OVER AND OVER AND OVER while I watch band after band after band come into our house and play creative songs, and event top 40 songs. SDSU's band does "less with more" as did the Cal Davis band, (I think it was them). They didn't even have uniforms and they rocked.

I would love it if they would be a little wilder and STAY IN THE GAME. Be FANS of the game and not so structured. "At this time we play this song."

Be involved in the game. Again, there are hundreds of bands across the nation that would be great examples. I know they are trying, I just think that with 203 bodies they could get really creative. I hope I am proved wrong this year.

Resident A hole...

Kermit
08-03-2010, 04:04 AM
For me, the band is a big part of the game day atmosphere. Growth in numbers is great and I hope the budget grows, too. Kudos.

ndsubison1
08-03-2010, 04:23 AM
You can call me an A hole all you want, just hide behind your computer and don't do that during a tailgate. I have said repeatedly on here that I respect our bands ability, I think they are all tremendous, but I think they play the same stuff OVER AND OVER AND OVER while I watch band after band after band come into our house and play creative songs, and event top 40 songs. SDSU's band does "less with more" as did the Cal Davis band, (I think it was them). They didn't even have uniforms and they rocked.

I would love it if they would be a little wilder and STAY IN THE GAME. Be FANS of the game and not so structured. "At this time we play this song."

Be involved in the game. Again, there are hundreds of bands across the nation that would be great examples. I know they are trying, I just think that with 203 bodies they could get really creative. I hope I am proved wrong this year.

Resident A hole...

Finally somebody said it. Dont get me wrong I like our band but it does get bland when they play the same stuff over and over. How many times did they play Michael Jackson's "Thriller" at half last year? All of them it seemed like. A college band is what makes the atmosphere at college football games so great. Frankly, ours doesnt do much in regards to that

SlickVic
08-03-2010, 05:01 AM
A college band is what makes the atmosphere at college football games so great. Frankly, ours doesnt do much in regards to that

ive been to games at beaver stadium the horse shoe kinnick in iowa lincoln nebraska and i can honestly say that other than the best damn band in the land aka the ohio state marching band when they dot the i ive never really noticed or cared to pay attention to the bands period...id say the student section is number one in importance of the atmosphere and quite frankley ndsus student section defines the word lame like seriously why dont they just give those seats away to people who might oh i dont know actually use them?

SlickVic
08-03-2010, 05:06 AM
and as far as the gold star marching band is concerned they get an A ok in my book i mean pre game in the parking lot tailgating when they come around i get just absolutley jacked...before the team comes out to the field and there playing the school songs ive always enjoyed that thought they do a great job...who cares what they do during halftime you could have michael jackson himself performing and i still would go out to have a heater lol

lakesbison
08-03-2010, 05:31 AM
amen slick. heaters!!

gsb band is cool when they go out into the tailgate.

start some smack with the other teams bands... do the "we got spirit chant... then 5 minutes later chant. SO DOES YOU MOM.. SO DOES YOUR MOM!"

Bison"FANatic"
08-03-2010, 03:24 PM
The last two years has been a huge upgrade not just in numbers but in changing up the marching formations. Before the last two years my wife who was in the band in the early 90's was still able to sit in the stands and say now they are going to make a star and then a circle and blah blah blah as it hadn't changed in just about 20 years. That has changed the last two years and is now quite a bit better. Hopefully the new pres keeps their budget up and ads some to it if they need it.

Tatanka
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
The last two years has been a huge upgrade not just in numbers but in changing up the marching formations. Before the last two years my wife who was in the band in the early 90's was still able to sit in the stands and say now they are going to make a star and then a circle and blah blah blah as it hadn't changed in just about 20 years. That has changed the last two years and is now quite a bit better. Hopefully the new pres keeps their budget up and ads some to it if they need it.

This is correct, and noticed. Is there room to improve? Damn skippy. But I appreciate what's already been done and look forward to more!

Hammersmith
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM

I just want to say there was a good reason the pregame routine hadn't changed much in 20 years. I think I've posted something like this before, so apologies. Historically, there were two major problems with the GSMB. First, retention was horrible most years. They'd lose half of the freshmen after their first year, and half the remaining sophomores after the 2nd. Second, most of the band members came from North Dakota, which has maybe three high schools that actually have field shows(Mandan is the only one I'm sure of). This means the vast majority of rookies had absolutely no real marching experience. Add the fact that the Bison used to regularly play their first home game on the first Thursday of the school year, and you've got problems getting any kind of show together in time.

The solution was to create a fairly basic show that included all the major marching moves. By keeping it the same every year, it allowed even the second year members to help teach the rookies. It really was the only way to get something on the field in only about 10-12 hours of practice(that's all the time they had back then).

Now the situation has changed. The expansion of the fall camp was the first step. The DI move actually helped because there is rarely a home game the first weekend of the year anymore. The increased number of Minnesota students has helped some because many MN schools have marching bands that compete in field show competitions; those kids come in with actual experience. But the big change has been the stipend. That money has dropped the attrition rate down to something manageable. All of this put together means that the GSMB can move beyond the old circle-star drill.

I guess I'm just trying to say that the old drill was not the result of laziness, but of necessity. Now as for the music, well that's another story.

zooropa
08-04-2010, 12:00 AM
most of the band members came from North Dakota, which has maybe three high schools that actually have field shows(Mandan is the only one I'm sure of).

Just curious: Any idea how it would come about that SD would have a marching band tradition, while ND wouldn't (I think most--if not all--the AA schools have field shows, and there are I-don't-even-know how many HS marching bands).

DjKyRo
08-04-2010, 12:01 AM
207 is the most recent figure in the running count!

TbonZach
08-05-2010, 01:56 AM
So I got to thinking after I saw the "Flickertails" thread in the smack section.

What do you guys think about the basketball band playing Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" for the UND game?

onbison09
08-05-2010, 06:16 PM
So I got to thinking after I saw the "Flickertails" thread in the smack section.

What do you guys think about the basketball band playing Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" for the UND game?

That'd be good or Who are you?" by the Who. Don't know how hard that would be.

mebisonII
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is perfect! I want to see this happen! Reps to you!

Tatanka
08-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Back when Lyle ran the PA system in the BSA he used to announce just that--the next game is with the "boys named sue". Damn I miss that dude behind the mic.

onbison09
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM

I have to apologize. Tatanka brought this up before. I will proceed to flog myself now.

HerdBot
08-14-2010, 07:13 PM

I'd like see them lineup by the helmet and create a row for the players to run down.

BigDeal
08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd like see them lineup by the helmet and create a row for the players to run down.

It's been done before and nothing good came of it. Hammersmith may have a story here.

Hammersmith
08-14-2010, 09:29 PM
It's been done before and nothing good came of it. Hammersmith may have a story here.

I try to get out, but they pull me back in. :)

I've written this story once or twice before, but it's been a while. Back when Rocky was the coach and Wayne Dorothy was the GSMB director, the band did that move(it's called a chute). One season, the football players kept getting closer and closer to the band lines. Wayne brought it up with Rocky, but shortly after, a 90-ish pound piccolo player got drilled by a football player. She was lucky she didn't end up with broken bones.

You have to realize that the band members are extremely vulnerable in that position. They have to stay ramrod straight, their feet are only slightly apart, their faces are looking up at the stands, and their eyes have to be on the director. If they get hit from the side(like in this case), they have absolutely no warning and no way to prepare. It's an extremely dangerous formation if the football team lacks discipline.

Unfortunately, that was one of the hallmarks of Rocky's last few teams. After that, Wayne refused to perform the chute until Babich was hired and promised nothing like it would happen again. We continued to run a version of the chute until I left. I haven't paid attention to pregame in a few years, so I don't know if Sig has removed the chute again, or for what reasons. Considering the reputation of the team the last few years, I would've been hesitant to run a chute if I were the director.

Bison"FANatic"
08-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Considering the reputation of the team the last few years, I would've been hesitant to run a chute if I were the director.

Especially if the band members would have had a Best Buy gift card in there pocket.;) ;) :D :D :D :D

TbonZach
08-14-2010, 09:38 PM

....I haven't paid attention to pregame in a few years, so I don't know if Sig has removed the chute again, or for what reasons. Considering the reputation of the team the last few years, I would've been hesitant to run a chute if I were the director.

We did this past year.

Hammersmith
08-14-2010, 09:45 PM
We did this past year.

Still doing 3 lines? One at the tops of the numbers, one at the hash, and one at midfield?

TbonZach
08-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Still doing 3 lines? One at the tops of the numbers, one at the hash, and one at midfield?

We kept it at three lines. What we did was go down towards the endzone like normal, then at a certain point in the cadence the entire band moves forward X number of steps. At another point the back line stops while the front two lines continue to the sideline.

You can see it in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZRQcf5EDXI) video. It starts about ~2:30.

Hammersmith
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
We kept it at three lines. What we did was go down towards the endzone like normal, then at a certain point in the cadence the entire band moves forward X number of steps. At another point the back line stops while the front two lines continue to the sideline.

You can see it in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZRQcf5EDXI) video. It starts about ~2:30.

OK, you do a full chute now. When we put the chute back in after Rocky, we just did a half chute and used the sideline wall as the other half. Of course, that was probably as much because of numbers as anything.

onbison09
08-14-2010, 11:54 PM
That Boston halftime show was pretty badass.

TbonZach
08-15-2010, 11:49 PM
From what I hear, after all of the dust settles, there will be about 220 members this year.

DjKyRo
08-16-2010, 12:12 AM
From what I hear, after all of the dust settles, there will be about 220 members this year.

WOW. :) :nod:

sambini
08-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Fantastic++++++++

DjKyRo
08-16-2010, 01:14 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the band's intricacies, today is the first day of pre-school band camp. The band members move into campus today (for freshman and on-campus students) and will spend every day this week learning/teaching the basics and practicing drill. It's a rough week but it pays off when the season comes around.

TransAmBison
08-16-2010, 01:56 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the band's intricacies, today is the first day of pre-school band camp. The band members move into campus today (for freshman and on-campus students) and will spend every day this week learning/teaching the basics and practicing drill. It's a rough week but it pays off when the season comes around.
Put in simple terms...the upperclassmen nerds make the freshmen nerds their bitches. True?

Bison bison
08-16-2010, 02:18 AM

SH!T!

:p

mebisonII
08-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Put in simple terms...the upperclassmen nerds make the freshmen nerds their bitches. True?

Put in simple terms...the goofy upperclassmen try to pick up the new freshmen girls while they are still young and impressionable. :hide:

Bison"FANatic"
08-16-2010, 03:00 AM

So what you are saying is the "AND ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP" stories are about to be made.:D :D :D :D

TbonZach
08-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Put in simple terms...the goofy upperclassmen try to pick up the new freshmen girls while they are still young and impressionable. :hide:

"Tried the most and got the least."

onbison09
08-16-2010, 04:01 AM
SH!T!

:p

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mebisonII
08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
"Tried the most and got the least."

Exactly.

Happy to say I never earned that award.

I also never earned "Tried the least and got the most", but that's ok.

DjKyRo
08-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Exactly.

Happy to say I never earned that award.

I also never earned "Tried the least and got the most", but that's ok.

I earned the "Swears Like a Sailor" award two years in a row...:hide:

And sousas got SOTY my freshman year. :nod:

roadwarrior
08-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Forum article on the 2010 GSMB:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/289297/

The band will increase its fundraising efforts, including plans for a new “adopt a band member” program that will give donors a chance to sponsor a position in the band.

Tatanka
08-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Peter Buller, a bass drum player from New Hope, Minn., said the drum line has almost doubled since last year.

Awesome!!!

TbonZach
08-30-2010, 04:16 AM
I think this (http://www.tonedeafcomics.com/carry-on-my-wayward-son) accurately portrays how some people feel about the GSMB.

WYOBISONMAN
08-30-2010, 01:31 PM
The band will be outstanding this year. Congrats!

mebisonII
08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Interesting that they are opening at a high school game. Guess that's a good way to get on the field when the home opener is so late and its also a good recruiting tool as well.

lakesbison
08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
So moorhead Fri. Then Uni Sat??? How?

roadwarrior
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
So moorhead Fri. Then Uni Sat??? How?

Easy. Leave Fargo on a bus sat morning.

Hammersmith
08-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Hotel rooms for 220+ people is expensive. If you can make it a one-day trip, you do. If not, you do everything possible to make it two days, one night.

DjKyRo
08-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Hotel rooms for 220+ people is expensive. If you can make it a one-day trip, you do. If not, you do everything possible to make it two days, one night.

My sources have confirmed to me it is a day-of trip with a hotel stay overnight. Go figure the first year I'm out of the band they have a legit road trip...

BigDeal
08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
My sources have confirmed to me it is a day-of trip with a hotel stay overnight. Go figure the first year I'm out of the band they have a legit road trip...

And they had TWO road trips the year before you joined.

roadwarrior
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
They say timing is everything....

runtheoption
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
I am strangely excited to see the band perform. I hope they can bring in Post-Traumatic Funk for a halftme show alongside "The Pride of North Dakota. That was the best halftime show I've ever seen in the FargoDome.

DjKyRo
08-31-2010, 01:39 AM
I am strangely excited to see the band perform. I hope they can bring in Post-Traumatic Funk for a halftme show alongside "The Pride of North Dakota. That was the best halftime show I've ever seen in the FargoDome.

They really like doing those shows and I'm sure Sigurd will want to do one for the SDSU game in November. The band should be really good this year with the leadership in place and the personnel we've got on the field.

56BISON73
08-31-2010, 01:41 AM
They really like doing those shows and I'm sure Sigurd will want to do one for the SDSU game in November. The band should be really good this year with the leadership in place and the personnel we've got on the field.

Are you still in school? If so why arent you in the band?

DjKyRo
08-31-2010, 01:44 AM
Are you still in school? If so why arent you in the band?

Time commitments and needing to get my grades back on track. The 10-15 hours a week (more on gamedays) can add up if you're working a job as well.

TbonZach
08-31-2010, 02:48 AM
What would you guys think if the band did something like the Michigan Marching Band did? (first ~25 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AZgqZZLPcQ

Tatanka
09-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Talked to a KU band member after the game while waiting on the shuttle bus. According to her, the KU band is somewhere between 210 and 220 members...

IMHO they have NOTHING on the GSMB of the past year or two.

sambini
09-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Band going to UNI?

DjKyRo
09-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Band going to UNI?

Yessir, all 220!

onbison09
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Talked to a KU band member after the game while waiting on the shuttle bus. According to her, the KU band is somewhere between 210 and 220 members...

IMHO they have NOTHING on the GSMB of the past year or two.

They were fine but nothing special IMO.

BigDeal
09-07-2010, 07:16 PM
They were fine but nothing special IMO.

The first show by any band is usually mediocre at best. There are always tons of things that go wrong. As for the GSMB, I would hate to have my first show on the road before establishing a routine at home, but that's the way the schedule works. Good for them for scheduling a performance at MHS on Friday to give the band members some practice at a non NDSU field before marching for their first time on enemy soil.

onbison09
09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
The first show by any band is usually mediocre at best. There are always tons of things that go wrong. As for the GSMB, I would hate to have my first show on the road before establishing a routine at home, but that's the way the schedule works. Good for them for scheduling a performance at MHS on Friday to give the band members some practice at a non NDSU field before marching for their first time on enemy soil.

Yeah I'm not a band critic so take my thoughts with not even a grain of salt. Although it was pretty badass how they marched on the field.

Tatanka
09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah I'm not a band critic so take my thoughts with not even a grain of salt. Although it was pretty badass how they marched on the field.

truth .

BigDeal
09-07-2010, 08:24 PM

And I have never seen the Kansas band so take my comments with a grain of salt as well.

sambini
09-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Goldstar Band ARE YOU FIRED UP+++

TbonZach
09-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Goldstar Band ARE YOU FIRED UP+++

Heeellz ya!

HerdBot
09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Yessir, all 220!

My only request. When you guys are not playing be sure to make some noise. We could use an extra 220 fans cheering for the team.

Hammersmith
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
This is almost like a random thoughts post, but does anyone else really hate twirlers? I'm not a huge fan of flags/rifles either, but I just want to take that baton, break it across my knee(probably breaking my knee in the process), and chase the twirler right out the dome. Don't have anything against them personally, but it just seems like such a waste of effort.

Bisonguy
09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
This is almost like a random thoughts post, but does anyone else really hate twirlers? I'm not a huge fan of flags/rifles either, but I just want to take that baton, break it across my knee(probably breaking my knee in the process), and chase the twirler right out the dome. Don't have anything against them personally, but it just seems like such a waste of effort.

I hope my wife doesn't see your post. :hide:

Edit I believe they're there because the drum majors are boring and the band doesn't have enough movement. :hide::hide:

Hammersmith
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I hope my wife doesn't see your post. :hide:

Edit I believe they're there because the drum majors are boring and the band doesn't have enough movement. :hide::hide:

Well, I'm in the doghouse now. ;)

And I'll agree with your edit. As of right now, the band isn't moving enough. Nothing kills the illusion of speed more than stopping after every form change. I'd like to say it's because it's still early in the season, but they have had something like five weeks. That should be enough to up the difficultly of the drill.

cbline
09-20-2010, 05:23 PM

At the risk of sounding old, "WHEN I WENT TO NDSU", the twirlers had some pretty hot legs. That alone is worth having them present.

TbonZach
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
At the risk of sounding old, "WHEN I WENT TO NDSU", the twirlers had some pretty hot legs. That alone is worth having them present.

Might want to careful with that one. The twirlers we have now are still in high school. :p