PDA

View Full Version : 2010 WR Group

Herd
07-10-2010, 07:15 PM
A key position that really needs to setup in 2010 is the Wide Receiver group which underachieved in 2009 IMO. (yes, the QB position had a lot to do with that) I'd like to hear BV's input to the following questions:

Who will start in 2010
Who will be the most improved
Do we have enough verterans to lead this group (Williams, Holloway, Howard, Mack, Calhoun, Wahlo, Hanson, Duchscher)
Will the loss of Woods and Rogers from the Roster hurt (only 8 WR on roster)
Will highly touted Freshman sit in 2010, or will some need to play
Can Hanson (Hankinson) Or Duchscher (Rugby) get on the field this year
Do we have a QB who can get them the ball

Bottom Line, we need significant improvement from the WR's if we are going to take the pressure off the running game and be successful. I'd like to know what BV thinks!

SDbison
07-11-2010, 03:59 AM
A key position that really needs to setup in 2010 is the Wide Receiver group which underachieved in 2009 IMO. (yes, the QB position had a lot to do with that) I'd like to hear BV's input to the following questions:

Who will start in 2010
Do we have enough verterans to lead this group (Williams, Holloway, Howard, Mack, Calhoun, Wahlo, Hanson, Duchscher)

Bottom Line, we need significant improvement from the WR's if we are going to take the pressure off the running game and be successful. I'd like to know what BV thinks!
As you mentioned having a QB that can consistently get the WR's the ball in a proper catchable place will help a great deal. Also, NDSU needs a QB that can read a defense and find the open receiver. After that I think NDSU has 3 or 4 capable receivers. Unless one of the new recruits (there looks to be 2 very good ones) stands above the rest we should leave their redshirt on.

DjKyRo
07-11-2010, 04:22 AM
I'm 95% certain the starters are going to be Holloway and Wahlo. Not to hate on Justin Howard but I'm just not sold - like Lang, you're going to put up big numbers when you're the only one getting snaps/looks from the QB and I'm cemented that Bohl was just making a point rather than playing who the real starters might have been - if I'm wrong on that then booyah, Howard's a total player, but again I'm just not sold on it. Holloway and Wahlo both have some impressive size and Wahlo specifically had his own area code, able to shed defenders and make some clutch catches which, for a RFr, is very promising.

QB-wise, I'm honestly not too worried. As has been said a dozen times over all three looked good in spring ball, great footwork on some of the drills and really tight passing most of the time. Fall ball is going to reveal a winner and I'd be happy with any out of Mohler, Jensen, and Perez.

Leadership might be the one place our WR corps has a question mark, it seemed nonexistent for the most part last year and while Holloway and Williams are the leaders of the group I at least didn't see much in the way of direction of the other players - maybe that was just me missing something but I think the potential for leadership is definitely there.

Finally, incoming freshman - I really would be surprised if Vraa or Gebhart saw the field this year as we have a pretty legit 8-WR rotation, but if anything it's one of the places we could see a freshman take the field - safety and CB being the other two spots, IMHO.

Ginsbach
07-11-2010, 04:40 AM

Who will start in 2010

I'm pretty excited to see what Hansen can do on the field this year, mostly because I played with him back in high school. He's got a lot of size (at least 6'4", close to 6'5") and a really good reach. I'm hoping that translates to success on the field. He's got a really good work ethic, so you can bet that "redshirt" year last year after two years at NDSCS helped him tremendously.

onbison09
07-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Go Reed! :D

DjKyRo
07-11-2010, 04:47 AM
I'm pretty excited to see what Hansen can do on the field this year, mostly because I played with him back in high school. He's got a lot of size (at least 6'4", close to 6'5") and a really good reach. I'm hoping that translates to success on the field. He's got a really good work ethic, so you can bet that "redshirt" year last year after two years at NDSCS helped him tremendously.

Brady Hansen is my pick for Random Sleeper of the Year solely on the basis of him making like four insane circus catches in front of Kermit and I one day during Spring ball. :nod:

lakesbison
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
ZACH VRAA... are you guys insane by not mentioning him??

Tim Brewster and the gophers screwed up majorly by not offering VRAA, he destroyed competition on the CLASS 5A field last year earning MR FOOTBALL, he was a star in track this year (won hurdles) had over 1300yrd and 12 TDS in a running dominated ROSEMOUNT program.

Dude, ZACH VRAA is probably our highest rated freshman coming in this year slightly over John Crockett and Grant Olson.

Mr. Burgundy
07-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Gebhart from Sioux Falls is also a big target. I think he is 6'2, won about everything he could in track last year, and is the #1 rated WR in our rivals territory. I am pretty excited about that kid. Between him, Vraa, the transfer from Mankato and then Wahlo/Calhoun coming off redshirts, I think we become pretty solid. The kid from Rugby has a future from what I have heard and seen. Holloway is a star. He has a great season last year, came up with big catches (Iowa State) and really improved his hands. I look for him to have a bigtime year. The future is pretty good at this spot.

I can't think of his name right now, but there is a kid that redshirted at TE last year that is a stud. Minneapolis kid that came here over several other offers. He is really big and athletic. I have seen him playing catch with Brock in the BSA alot. Taylor Nelson I think is his name. too lazy to check.

westnodak93bison
07-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Justin Howard looked pretty solid to me at the spring game. He was open all the time and appears to have some good speed. Having 3-4-5-6 capable WR will be nice for a change.

OldBison
07-11-2010, 03:25 PM
In deference to others I don't believe WR is a position in which a true freshman can contribute, too difficult to learn the the offense, the defensive reads and very difficult to get in sink with the QB. CB and RB are the positions where they can contribute right away.

I didn't realize Woods had left, too bad, he was the one JUCO last year I thought had the size to contribute.

I agree, Holloway had a break out year as a Soph and I expect big things from him this season. I don't think Wahlo will be a starter, however. Williams will start if he is healthy and I think if he can remain healthy he will have a solid senior season. I think both Howard and Wahlo will contribute and be in the rotation.

I am not too worried about the WRs. :hide:

Jdubs21
07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Justin Howard looked pretty solid to me at the spring game. He was open all the time and appears to have some good speed. Having 3-4-5-6 capable WR will be nice for a change.

yeah im excited for howard...kinda our version of wes welker, small, fast , shiffty receiver that isnt afraid to go across the middle

ndsubison1
07-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Who will start in 2010

I think Holloway and Williams will start @ Kansas. But by the end of the season I predict Cooper Wahlo will be starting. He has the skills to be a good WR.

Most Improved: Im gonna say Holloway. I think he really steps up this season. He was good last year but at times he did struggle. I think we'll see more consistency with him this season. It would be nice to have one more experienced WR. Holloway and Williams have been there and I think they can be good Senior/Junior leaders. Our youth kinda worries me a little bit. Losing Rogers and Woods (if they left) will hurt us a little bit. Never saw them play so I guess we wont know how much it hurt us. I think all the frosh WR redshirt. If any play it will be Vraa.

BisonNeil
07-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I can't think of his name right now, but there is a kid that redshirted at TE last year that is a stud. Minneapolis kid that came here over several other offers. He is really big and athletic. I have seen him playing catch with Brock in the BSA alot. Taylor Nelson I think is his name. too lazy to check.

That is his name and I think you are right, he is going to be a dandy. In fact, I think the Bison snared two very good TE prospects in that class. Kevin Vaadeland is also going to be an excellent TE if he can stay healthy. He blew his knee last fall and had tendinitis in it so he didn't participate in the spring game, but he is going to be a huge target as well. He will likely be 6'4" and 250-255 this fall.

The future going to be bright at TE for the foreseeable future.

Gully
07-11-2010, 11:07 PM
In deference to others I don't believe WR is a position in which a true freshman can contribute, too difficult to learn the the offense, the defensive reads and very difficult to get in sink with the QB. CB and RB are the positions where they can contribute right away.

I didn't realize Woods had left, too bad, he was the one JUCO last year I thought had the size to contribute.

I agree, Holloway had a break out year as a Soph and I expect big things from him this season. I don't think Wahlo will be a starter, however. Williams will start if he is healthy and I think if he can remain healthy he will have a solid senior season. I think both Howard and Wahlo will contribute and be in the rotation.

I am not too worried about the WRs. :hide:

I think you're probably right about this. I think it was easier for young WRs to contribute when we were running the veer and not passing as much.

Gully
07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I also expect our 8' tall tight end to have a breakout year if he can stay healthy.

WildBill
07-18-2010, 02:32 AM
ZACH VRAA... are you guys insane by not mentioning him??

Tim Brewster and the gophers screwed up majorly by not offering VRAA, he destroyed competition on the CLASS 5A field last year earning MR FOOTBALL, he was a star in track this year (won hurdles) had over 1300yrd and 12 TDS in a running dominated ROSEMOUNT program.

Dude, ZACH VRAA is probably our highest rated freshman coming in this year slightly over John Crockett and Grant Olson.

It's gonna take Vraa some time to adjust. He only had to run a couple of routes in HS, so there is gonna be a period of adjustment.