PDA

View Full Version : Tveidt - Summit POTY?

DjKyRo
07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Basketball talk needs some life injected into it! Obviously Tveidt has the skills to score and leads what has the potential to be a game Bison squad this year, what does he need to do to have a shot at winning POTY?

Keith Benson has to be the clear favorite having won it this past season, but a big point is that Oakland lost a pair of very skilled guards in Johnathan Jones and Derrick Nelson who averaged a combined 7.4 assists last year - however, Jr. Larry Wright and Freshman Ledrick Eackles both showed some serious game last year and come into the next season with another year of experience, giving Oakland the 1-2 punch that should allow Benson to match or better his 17.1 PPG from the 2009-10 season.

IUPUI returns two of the three top scorers on the team in Leroy Nobles and Alex Young, earning 18.3 and 13.2 PPG respectively. This squad showed a ton of athleticism last year and while they lose Robert Glenn (whose tomahawk dunk last year was just insane) and Jon Avery they have a squad that can still contend. Both players (Young and Nobles) should be in the running.

Finally, Dominique Morrison, 09-10's 1st-team All-Summit guard from ORU. While he makes magic and tends to be absolutely clutch (leading ORU in overtime against NDSU in the Summit tourney), he does have to contend with the rest of a very young core in Michael Craion and Warren Niles, both freshman who, along with Morrison and Bisonville's favorite center Kevin Ford, averaged double-digits last year and will only get better. ORU's going to be a tough squad next year and if Morrison can run the team he probably stands the best chance to unseat Benson as POTY.

The only other person I can see as having a legit case IF their team can pull it together this year is Clint Sargent, who will be a senior at SDSU. They recruited a pair of tough Forward-center's in Marcus Heemstra and Jordan Dykstra and if they can develop an offense along with Wolters they have some potential after losing four players to random scholarship pulls after the Summit Tourney.

Anyone I forgot? Anyone who shouldn't be here? Have at it!

SlickVic
07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Basketball talk needs some life injected into it! Obviously Tveidt has the skills to score and leads what has the potential to be a game Bison squad this year, what does he need to do to have a shot at winning POTY?

Keith Benson has to be the clear favorite having won it this past season, but a big point is that Oakland lost a pair of very skilled guards in Johnathan Jones and Derrick Nelson who averaged a combined 7.4 assists last year - however, Jr. Larry Wright and Freshman Ledrick Eackles both showed some serious game last year and come into the next season with another year of experience, giving Oakland the 1-2 punch that should allow Benson to match or better his 17.1 PPG from the 2009-10 season.

IUPUI returns two of the three top scorers on the team in Leroy Nobles and Alex Young, earning 18.3 and 13.2 PPG respectively. This squad showed a ton of athleticism last year and while they lose Robert Glenn (whose tomahawk dunk last year was just insane) and Jon Avery they have a squad that can still contend. Both players (Young and Nobles) should be in the running.

Finally, Dominique Morrison, 09-10's 1st-team All-Summit guard from ORU. While he makes magic and tends to be absolutely clutch (leading ORU in overtime against NDSU in the Summit tourney), he does have to contend with the rest of a very young core in Michael Craion and Warren Niles, both freshman who, along with Morrison and Bisonville's favorite center Kevin Ford, averaged double-digits last year and will only get better. ORU's going to be a tough squad next year and if Morrison can run the team he probably stands the best chance to unseat Benson as POTY.

The only other person I can see as having a legit case IF their team can pull it together this year is Clint Sargent, who will be a senior at SDSU. They recruited a pair of tough Forward-center's in Marcus Heemstra and Jordan Dykstra and if they can develop an offense along with Wolters they have some potential after losing four players to random scholarship pulls after the Summit Tourney.

Anyone I forgot? Anyone who shouldn't be here? Have at it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI

HandoEX
07-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Benson
Tveidt
Young
Morrison
Carlson
Craion
Nobles
Sargent

In that order.

westnodak93bison
07-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see Tveidt take the ball hard to the basket more often...need him aggressive and getting to the foul line often imho.

ndsubison1
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Benson easily. I am a big Morrison fan. Only gonna be a junior. I think he will blow up this season, plus he has a nice cast around him. Tveidt def. could get it done, I see him having a great season but he will have more options around him this season. That will likely hurt him. Ultimately, I see it going to Benson, if not then Morrison. As for Alex Young, he is not dominant enough to win POTY imo.

I think it will come down to the 3 I mentioned.

Kermit
07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Benson
Tveidt
Young
Morrison
Carlson
Craion
Nobles
Sargent

In that order.

If Eric Carlson plays like one of the top 5 players in the Summit League, it will be a very good year for Da Bison! I hope he does, but..

Carl is a warrior and one of the team's best players without a doubt. He is very tough, but he is also a little under-sized for his position and he doesn't have the same quickness and bounce of many of his opponents. I would like to see him develop his perimeter game and gain some confidence in a jump shot. I wouldn't put anything past this kid, though. :)

Kermit
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see Tveidt take the ball hard to the basket more often...need him aggressive and getting to the foul line often imho.

I agree with this. Tveidt is capable of even more, maybe a lot more, than he delivered last season. I think the biggest key for him is he needs to stay healthy. He is very capable of being POTY.

If I had to pick someone from another team, I would be torn between Benson and Morrison, but I'd go with Morrison.

Comeback Player of the Year: Freddy Coleman in a landslide.

NDSUstudent
07-06-2010, 04:46 PM
It could definitely happen, but when you consider the lack of quality bigs in the league Benson would have to fall apart not to repeat. Either that or Tveidt would need to step up bigtime to take it.

Young is another intriguing option, he could put up huge numbers but he would need to be like George Hill and put that team on his back to take it from Benson. Not sure if he has that kind of talent.

Morrison has the talent but kind of like Tveidt he would need to assert himself more at times.

That said there is definitely going to be more balance in the league this year, lots of teams have quality upperclassmen. Oakland losing Jones and Nelson was huge. Nelson could come in and provide some instant offense and Jones was just a rock for that team. I know they have talent at guard but you just don't replace that kind of leadership at the point in one season.

HandoEX
07-06-2010, 04:54 PM
If Eric Carlson plays like one of the top 5 players in the Summit League, it will be a very good year for Da Bison! I hope he does, but..

Carl is a warrior and one of the team's best players without a doubt. He is very tough, but he is also a little under-sized for his position and he doesn't have the same quickness and bounce of many of his opponents. I would like to see him develop his perimeter game and gain some confidence in a jump shot. I wouldn't put anything past this kid, though. :)

He was 8th in the conference in scoring, 5th in rebounding, 2nd in offensive rebounds, 14th in FG%, and 15th in assists.

Now I know stats aren't everything, but that's a pretty decent line from a sophomore that wasn't big enough or quick enough. I have a feeling he'll show more improvement this season;)

NDSUstudent
07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
If Carlson had a solid jump shot he would be first team all-conference. If he could just get his defender to respect his game from the outside it would open up so much more for him.

He had a very solid season but on more than a few occasions I remember him getting the ball and from the opponent's bench a coach would be yelling, "Driver!".

Kermit
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
He was 8th in the conference in scoring, 5th in rebounding, 2nd in offensive rebounds, 14th in FG%, and 15th in assists.

Now I know stats aren't everything, but that's a pretty decent line from a sophomore that wasn't big enough or quick enough. I have a feeling he'll show more improvement this season;)

Carlson's contributions to the team last year were even more impressive than his stat line. Not only is he productive, but he is TOUGH and he gets some things done that few players can or will do.

I actually hope that improved depth will allow Carlson to play fewer minutes this year. If that's the case, it is possible that he will be a better player without statistical improvement. Playing his style and constantly banging with bigger players can take a toll.

Kermit
07-06-2010, 06:57 PM
If Carlson had a solid jump shot he would be first team all-conference. If he could just get his defender to respect his game from the outside it would open up so much more for him.

He had a very solid season but on more than a few occasions I remember him getting the ball and from the opponent's bench a coach would be yelling, "Driver!".

To me, Carlson's jump shot actually looks pretty sound. It might be more of a mental thing--he's never seen himself as a perimeter player and he isn't very comfortable shooting the J in games, yet.

silkamilkamonico
07-06-2010, 07:38 PM
IMHO Carlson doesn't move well enough to be a wing. His style is fitting for a 4, because he's tough, physical, and loves to fight for rebounds. I don't think he's agile or fluid enough for a wing. He can work on his perimeter shot, but he a wing also must be able to create off the dribble, which is something that takes much more time to development, and if he hasn't developed that by now he won't. IMHO that just isn't his game, at the 3. And that's ok, because it's an ideal position for Tviedt.

ndsubison1
07-06-2010, 07:44 PM
If we can find an established big man who can get us some points and consistency down low, that will also help Carlson out. But I would still like to see him improve his jump shot.

HandoEX
07-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I guess I just don't see a huge need for an outside shot for Carlson. His game might be limited but he still gets things done. Let's see: A) take my guy off the dribble and score/get to the line or B) shoot a 15 foot jump shot. I think he's proven time and again that he can get to the rim and finish, get to the line, or dish it off to someone else. If he doesn't want to take a lower % shot, I'm ok with that :nod:

westnodak93bison
07-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I guess I just don't see a huge need for an outside shot for Carlson. His game might be limited but he still gets things done. Let's see: A) take my guy off the dribble and score/get to the line or B) shoot a 15 foot jump shot. I think he's proven time and again that he can get to the rim and finish, get to the line, or dish it off to someone else. If he doesn't want to take a lower % shot, I'm ok with that :nod:

The threat of a 15ft jump shot would make it that much easier for him to get to the rim. I think that is what the others meant.

NDSUstudent
07-06-2010, 09:27 PM
The threat of a 15ft jump shot would make it that much easier for him to get to the rim. I think that is what the others meant.

Exactly, I don't think anyone is saying he has turn into Winks or anything like that but if he had a more consistent jumper I think he would definitely make it easier for himself to get the rim and also get to the line more. Plus it would probably help him stay out of foul trouble a bit as well.

DjKyRo
07-06-2010, 09:30 PM
There's going to be guys Carlson just can't get around, and having a fallback plan offensively or a way to fake a guy out and open up the paint would be hugely helpful - Big Lumber comes to mind, the 340-lb. forward Milwaukee boasted.

Twentysix
07-06-2010, 11:28 PM
That guys fat. Shaq weighs less than him...