PDA

View Full Version : Mueller interviews at UMN

GradBison
07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Head softball coach Darren Mueller interviewed at the University of Minnesota this week and is one of four finalists for the position.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/283726/group/Sports/

Tatanka
07-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Not good . (good for coach M though)

MN_BISON
07-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Say it ain't so Bubba! Well, good for him I guess not so good for the Bison. If he were to land this job, does NDSU have someone in place to step up and take over or do they go outside the program?

roadwarrior
07-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Associate head coach Jamie Trachsel has been with the Bison program for nine years. I would think she would be a great candidate for the job if it were open.

ndsubison1
07-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Hopefully we get another year out of him. But best of luck to Mueller if he does get it. He's done a hell of a job here

North Side
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM
You know you have a good coach when stuff like this happens, just like miles a while ago

onbison09
07-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Well it's only a matter of time isn't it?

sambini
07-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Good luck Darren+++

TheDoctor
07-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Good luck Darren. Born and raised in Fargo,hopefully that keeps him around. ;)

Greenie
07-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Associate head coach Jamie Trachsel has been with the Bison program for nine years. I would think she would be a great candidate for the job if it were open.

She would have a tough decision -- go with Darren to the Gophers or stay at NDSU and be a head coach. You'd think that she'd want her shot as a DI head coach.

imabison
07-03-2010, 03:05 PM

We can be selfish and hope the Gopher attitude that they showed when Larson applied for the Track position still hold true.

Good luck to Coach Mueller in what ever should happen.

Bryan
07-03-2010, 05:58 PM
"We can be selfish and hope the Gopher attitude that they showed when Larson applied for the Track position still hold true."

A little off topic but all Coach Plascenia at MN has done in his two years since being hired over Larson is win the Big Ten Championship in 2009 and 2010 in both indoor and outdoor. Named Coach of the year both years and finished 8th at the NCAA Championships in 09 and 37th at this years meet. Coach Larson is a great coach but hard to find fault with the coach MN hired. As for softball, the St. Thomas coach is the favorite at MN. but it will be close

Castor Troy
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
"We can be selfish and hope the Gopher attitude that they showed when Larson applied for the Track position still hold true."

A little off topic but all Coach Plascenia at MN has done in his two years since being hired over Larson is win the Big Ten Championship in 2009 and 2010 in both indoor and outdoor. Named Coach of the year both years and finished 8th at the NCAA Championships in 09 and 37th at this years meet. Coach Larson is a great coach but hard to find fault with the coach MN hired. As for softball, the St. Thomas coach is the favorite at MN. but it will be close

After speaking with Lars himself, I am not aware of any attitude that they gave him. He is very good friends with most of the staff at the U and would interview again if they gave him the opportunity. He sees at as an opportunity to visit with old friends. I thought the Plascencia hire was a mistake and have been proven wrong so far, but am interested to see if he can recruit sprinters, jumpers, and hurdlers. He is still using a lot of Lundin's recruits, but has had success with his own as of recently.

Hammersmith
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Mueller is also interviewing at Wisconsin.

Per Kolpack @ BMB:

Another twist has surfaced in the Darren Mueller-to-Minnesota story. It appears the University of Wisconsin has entered the picture for the NDSU head softball coach and has interviewed him for its vacancy.

Mueller isn't returning phone calls, hasn't for over a week, and the delay is puzzling. The Gophers wanted to make a decision over a week ago and nothing has happened. It makes you wonder: If U of M was rock solid in its decision to want Mueller, why wait? Maybe this Wisconsin scenario is part of it.

Anyway, has to be sleepless nights for Mueller. It's a life-changing decision and something will be resolved in the next few days, you would think.

Wisconsin earlier this month filled it, only to see the Creighton head coach change his mind and remain in Omaha. I'm guessing the NDSU coach would want to investigate his reason before accepting anything.

Greenie
07-21-2010, 06:06 PM
It looks like Minnesota is waiting for Darren Mueller to make a decision. He appears to have Minnesota in his pocket with the option to take the Badgers or return to NDSU.

Bryan
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
it's Tschida's job at MN and has been for awhile if he can work out some contract and assistant coaching issues.

Greenie
07-22-2010, 04:00 AM
it's Tschida's job at MN and has been for awhile if he can work out some contract and assistant coaching issues.

Must be pretty big issues if it he hasn't officially taken the job yet

Bryan
07-22-2010, 02:38 PM
with Maturi, even the easiest hires can become difficult.

sambini
07-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Darren is staying at NDSU. He was offered both jobs Minnesota and Wisconsin. His sister just told me. Enjoy those Bud Lights Angies bringing you .

onbison09
07-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Darren is staying at NDSU. He was offered both jobs Minnesota and Wisconsin. His sister just told me. Enjoy those Bud Lights Angies bringing you .

Now that's a rumor I approve of! :nod: :nod:

tony
07-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Darren, this Bud is for you! (since he's not here, I'll have it myself in 31 minutes, but if he was here, I'd give him my last bottle.) :)

MN_BISON
07-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Great news Sambini, glad to hear Bubba is staying at NDSU! :cheers:

TbonZach
07-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Lakes - did you hack sambini's account or are just slow to update? ;) :D

Glad to hear he's staying! The ladies need to get back to the Tourny!

roadwarrior
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Great to see Darren staying at NDSU!

Tatanka
07-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks Coach Mueller!!! NDSU is fortunate to have a coach of his calibre.....

99Bison
07-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Yeah coach Darren!

For any doubters:
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204970525

1bizon1
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks Coach Mueller!!! NDSU is fortunate to have a coach of his calibre.....

Couldn't agree more!!!!

Hammersmith
07-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a weird situation at UofMN. According to Kolpack, Mueller is one of four coaches who have turned down the job so far.

Article: Mueller says "no" to Gophers, gets three-year extension as NDSU's softball coach (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/285855/)
Blog: Goldy Gopher is wacky (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=83673)

ndsubison1
07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Great news! How lucky we are, it would take a lot to turn down an offer(s) like that

DjKyRo
07-25-2010, 03:20 AM
So 3-year extension = 3 more NCAA Tournaments, right? ;) Glad to have you back, Coach!

KC Bison
07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Thought maybe Wild Bill might have some explanation on how anyone would turn down a job at the most fabulous university in the country. :confused:

Herd
07-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Very surprising series of events. I was already lamenting Darren's loss. I assumed that he would double his salary, and either MN or WI would be the right move for him.

The fact that he remains a Bison is excellent news for bison fans!

Greenie
07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Will Mueller staying at NDSU speed up the $4.5 million renovation to the softball complex? This project is already on the books and approved by the SBHE. Just waiting for the money. Or is this project ready to go and helped Mueller want to stay in Fargo (in addition to a better contract of course).

There are already plans to add batting cages in the new indoor track facility. I would imagine there being artificial turf in that facility which could provide a training venue during the winter months.

roadwarrior
07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Hammer will have Mueller on the air shortly.

roadwarrior
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Darren confirmed that Wisconsin also offered to hire him.

The Lost Dutchman
07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.740thefan.com/uploads/Darren%20Mueller_1.mp3, kinda interesting that even Creighton came into the picture. Says a lot about Darren and the Softball Program as a whole that he stayed.

tony
07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.740thefan.com/uploads/Darren%20Mueller_1.mp3, kinda interesting that even Creighton came into the picture. Says a lot about Darren and the Softball Program as a whole that he stayed.

I kind of think it says something about NDSU's athletic department and administration.

Bison"FANatic"
07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I kind of think it says something about NDSU's athletic department and administration.

It answers a few questions I have had about our new president and athletics. He has said he is pro athletics but you never know until they get on the job. I do believe he said in the interview that he met with the president. If the new admin was not going to be or they didn't know if they would be pro athletics it might weigh in on the situation.

Bryan
07-26-2010, 08:48 PM
the difference in money isn't nearly as big as you think.

TheDoctor
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM
the difference in money isn't nearly as big as you think.

Correct! In the non-revinue driving sports there a lot of parity in salaries between the major and the midmajor conferences. Regardless though...Darren and Jamie are a great team and the have a great pipeline from California. I am very glad to see they are sticking around. ;)

The Lost Dutchman
07-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I think the biggest thing is he thinks he has the talent to make another run for the next several years. He didn't really sound that interested in trying to rebuild for atleast 3 to 5 years.

ndsubison1
07-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Mueller + Whitney Johnson = CHAMPIONSHIP!

KC Bison
08-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Charley Walters Column in the St. Paul Pioneer Press 7/31

"Athletics director Joel Maturi is astounded that in this economy, four candidates have turned down an offer of nearly $90,000 annually plus use of a new car for the Gophers' softball coaching job."

I've not sure if anyone reported this. I've never seen a number before and am curious if this is accurate and if so, how this compares with his Bison salary. Course, $81,000 could be nearly $90,000 too.

SummerTime
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
What I have been hearing is the coaches are having great success on selling the program and have some real players coming to NDSU.

Da Bison
08-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Yesterday on the FAN Dan B. was lamenting the failure of the Gophs to get a softball coach. He must have brought up NDSU's Darren Mueller's name a dozen times. His sidekick pointed out that NDSU had a pretty nice program. He couldn't believe he would pass up the $.

Note to Danny B.: Its not about the Money.

Hammersmith
08-07-2010, 01:56 AM
As of a year or so ago, Mueller was making $62,000 at NDSU. He also probably got some sort of bonus for making the NCAA tourney the last two years and making the super regional last year. Sami Strinz at UND makes $41,900, and Kristin Boyes at MSUM makes $37,600. I found a graphic from the Forum that shows all the salaries of all the coaches and ADs from the three universities, but it doesn't have a date. From the coaches listed, it has to be within the last two years. It also only shows the base salaries, not any bonuses or extra compensations.

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

Twentysix
08-14-2010, 10:30 PM
As of a year or so ago, Mueller was making $62,000 at NDSU. He also probably got some sort of bonus for making the NCAA tourney the last two years and making the super regional last year. Sami Strinz at UND makes $41,900, and Kristin Boyes at MSUM makes $37,600. I found a graphic from the Forum that shows all the salaries of all the coaches and ADs from the three universities, but it doesn't have a date. From the coaches listed, it has to be within the last two years. It also only shows the base salaries, not any bonuses or extra compensations.

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

Didnt bohl make something like 300k one year when we were 10-1? I thought i read the forum making a huge deal about it.

Hammersmith
08-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Didnt bohl make something like 300k one year when we were 10-1? I thought i read the forum making a huge deal about it.

I think the graphic in the link is from the story you might be thinking of. The $180k in the graphic was Bohl's base pay. With camps, coach's show, and all possible bonuses, I think Bohl has the potential to reach $300k. He would need to win the MVFC, at least make the FCS championship game, and the dome would have to sell out just about every game(Bohl gets a small cut of the ticket sales or he gets a bonus at certain attendance milestones; I don't remember quite how that bonus works). The story was made into a big deal because Bohl had the potential to out earn Hak if both coaches maxed out their bonuses. It was the first time in quite a while(if ever) that an NDSU football coach could make more than a UND hockey coach. A big deal to some people.