PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a vuvuzela

met1990
06-17-2010, 02:47 AM
No, it's not some part of the female reproductive system. Apparently these plastic horns are causing havoc at the World Cup. I remember well the drone of them at Dacotah Field and watching/hearing the clips of the grass hockey tournament in Africa reminds me of those days. Take a listen to some of CA's old game tapes and you can hear them drowing out the "Ed shot his dog" chants.

Anyway, short story long, are these still legal at Bison games or does the MVFC ban their use? If so, I think that's the final nail in the donkey's back for FCS football. Hello Big 12!

Seriously though, does Varsity Mart still sell them and how many beers do they hold if I were to use them as a beer bong funnel?

Tatanka
06-17-2010, 02:50 AM
No, it's not some part of the female reproductive system. Apparently these plastic horns are causing havoc at the World Cup. I remember well the drone of them at Dacotah Field and watching/hearing the clips of the grass hockey tournament in Africa reminds me of those days. Take a listen to some of CA's old game tapes and you can hear them drowing out the "Ed shot his dog" chants.

Anyway, short story long, are these still legal at Bison games or does the MVFC ban their use. If so, I think that's the final nail in the donkey's back for FCS football. Hello Big 12!

Seriously though, does Varsity Mart still sell them and how many beers do they hold if I were to use them as a beer bong funnel?

No, these have been illegal at Bison games for quite some time. Unfortunately. ;)

Varsity Mart selling them? Doubtful. Bong funnel? I defer to the masses on this board who can answer that from personal experience.

ndsubison1
06-17-2010, 02:57 AM

Anyway, short story long, are these still legal at Bison games or does the MVFC ban their use? If so, I think that's the final nail in the donkey's back for FCS football. Hello Big 12!

They are not legal via the MVC. I still have one. I might try to sneak it in one day. Great idea about the beer funnel, I may have to try this.

DjKyRo
06-17-2010, 02:59 AM
I will straight-up go insane if every football game is backdropped by a swarm of bees. Please, God, no.

Tatanka
06-17-2010, 03:01 AM
I will straight-up go insane if every football game is backdropped by a swarm of bees. Please, God, no.

That swarm of bees noise is only made by n00bs that can't make the real horn noise.

TbonZach
06-17-2010, 03:07 AM

I don't think they're going to get rid of the saxophones in the GSMB any time soon. ;) :D

EndZoneQB
06-17-2010, 03:08 AM
On top of the horns, I miss that crank thing that made the rattling noise, no idea what it's called tho.

aces1180
06-17-2010, 03:12 AM
On top of the horns, I miss that crank thing that made the rattling noise, no idea what it's called tho.

They are similar to cowbells...The shit heads in Brookings still ring those damn things...And every time I hear "Cotton Eyed Joe," I want to throw up.

They were cool in the Fargodome, however.

ndsubison1
06-17-2010, 03:13 AM
That swarm of bees noise is only made by n00bs that can't make the real horn noise.

agreed. actually i dont mind it. there's a lot more annoying things in sports. like the annoying camera wave or a retarded announcer. hey maybe they were the reason England's goalie botched our goal. it's just mere background noise

DjKyRo
06-17-2010, 03:14 AM
They are similar to cowbells...The shit heads in Brookings still ring those damn things...

I believe those qualify as mating calls in Brookings as opposed to team support. ;)

Hammersmith
06-17-2010, 03:50 AM

The ratchet?

Like this:
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Purim_gragger.jpg/200px-Purim_gragger.jpg

or this:
http://www.californiapercussion.com/ProductImages/tocapercussion/T2520.jpg

gotts
06-17-2010, 03:51 AM
I think this guy is taking a vuvuzela?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/HarryTH/footiepiss.jpg

Bisonguy
06-17-2010, 04:23 AM
The ratchet?

Like this:
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Purim_gragger.jpg/200px-Purim_gragger.jpg

or this:
http://www.californiapercussion.com/ProductImages/tocapercussion/T2520.jpg

They were something like the second photo, but they were made from metal and had a four sided horn extension with about a one square foot opening. Not exactly a light noise making device, they set them on top of the front row railing in the south endzone (at least in the Fargodome) and they were LOUD!

mango
06-17-2010, 04:58 AM
They are similar to cowbells...The shit heads in Brookings still ring those damn things...And every time I hear "Cotton Eyed Joe," I want to throw up.

They were cool in the Fargodome, however.

We haven't had the cowbells in a couple of years, I think our last year in the Great West was the last year? could be wrong.

Agreed on Cotton Eyed Joe, so f-ing retarded. Let's try to get away from hick persona but play Cotton Eyed Joe and Thank God I'm a country boy at sporting events, makes sense...:banghead:

met1990
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Let's try to get away from hick persona but play Cotton Eyed Joe and Thank God I'm a country boy at sporting events, makes sense...:banghead:

I think the auctioning off of a live hog at basketball games does more to perpetuate the hick persona than any music possibly could. ;)

I remember that hand crank noise maker at the Fargodome. It looked like a home made job, but man could that crank out some noise.

Mr. Burgundy
06-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I thought caging people in with twine at tailgating hurt their hick image. You can park over there on the left, we have it "twined" off for you. I thought I was pulling into a wrestling ring. Actually it would have been mud wrestling.

Tatanka
06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
They were something like the second photo, but they were made from metal and had a four sided horn extension with about a one square foot opening. Not exactly a light noise making device, they set them on top of the front row railing in the south endzone (at least in the Fargodome) and they were LOUD!

We used to have the season tickets right behind those guys. That had to have been about 8-10 years ago. You're damn right those were loud. They also had constant harassment from teh Dome staff... and ultimately were told they couldn't have the hand crank cowbells.

Notorious
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't think they're going to get rid of the saxophones in the GSMB any time soon. ;) :D

My cousin recently mentioned that he just spent an hour "polishing his saxaphone"...

Those of you in the GSMB...he was talking about a musical instrument, correct?

TheBisonator
06-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I think the auctioning off of a live hog at basketball games does more to perpetuate the hick persona than any music possibly could. ;)

I remember that hand crank noise maker at the Fargodome. It looked like a home made job, but man could that crank out some noise.

Or auctioning off a live cow at a football game.

I saw it in 2004. I laughed all the way home despite the loss.

TbonZach
06-17-2010, 03:55 PM
My cousin recently mentioned that he just spent an hour "polishing his saxaphone"...

Those of you in the GSMB...he was talking about a musical instrument, correct?

Kids these days. Whatever happened to the chicken?

TransAmBison
06-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Dude, I think you should reorganize your priorities...you should be looking for the "other" vuvuzela. Sure, you'd get kicked out of the dome if you played with it out in the open, but it would make a much better story. :D

OrygunBison
06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
First off, just less than 3 beers fits. It works just fine as a beer bong.

A couple of friends had them when I started school in '89. In '90, I bought 4 of them for $2.50 each at the varsity mart on my way out of town on our trip to Florence. Actually performed the bong maneuver somewhere about 30 miles north of Indy through the sunroof. (My driving shift was completed at Chicago.) It was cold but worth it. One horn was broken by the stadium security there in Alabama, lost another in the ensuing chaos. Two made it back to Fargo.

I think I still have one somewhere. They've been illegal since the first few games at the FargoDome.

OrygunBison
06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Forgot to mention, most of us could only do the stupid buzzing sound out of those things. Actually didn't know that there were other options until another friend, drunk out of his mind, rips the horn from my clutches, gives me a dirty look, and then proceeds to play "the Entertainer" on the thing. Absolutely blew us away. He was our god for awhile after that.

56BISON73
06-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Forgot to mention, most of us could only do the stupid buzzing sound out of those things. Actually didn't know that there were other options until another friend, drunk out of his mind, rips the horn from my clutches, gives me a dirty look, and then proceeds to play "the Entertainer" on the thing. Absolutely blew us away. He was our god for awhile after that.

That would have been cool to see-hear!!!

Herd
06-18-2010, 01:44 PM
We haven't had the cowbells in a couple of years, I think our last year in the Great West was the last year? could be wrong.

Agreed on Cotton Eyed Joe, so f-ing retarded. Let's try to get away from hick persona but play Cotton Eyed Joe and Thank God I'm a country boy at sporting events, makes sense...:banghead:

Cotton Eyed Joe isn't too shabby when its rocking Lambeau's 70 thousand. It's on the Pod, I won't lie.

lakesbison
06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
its even WORSE at lam BLOW with the cow girls from green bay dancing.

SDSU and GBAY are eeirely similar

aces1180
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
its even WORSE at lam BLOW with the cow girls from green bay dancing.

+++++++++++++

bisonmike2
06-18-2010, 04:39 PM

except Green Bay has a history of winning football titles and has one of the nicest stadiums in the country.

They did both have a gay QB who wore #4.

/I actually don't know off the top of my head any SDSU QB who wore number 4. I just felt the need to take a shot at Favre.

Bison bison
06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Dude, I think you should reorganize your priorities...you should be looking for the "other" vuvuzela.

What a play on words.

It reminds me of the soon to be released book:

Queef of the Vuvuzela: The Roger Thomas Story

TransAmBison
06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
What a play on words.

POD. :rofl:

Tatanka
06-18-2010, 07:21 PM
What a play on words.

R O F L. Nicely played.

onbison09
06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Or auctioning off a live cow at a football game.

I saw it in 2004. I laughed all the way home despite the loss.

Does that stuff seriously happen or are you guys just saying stuff like auctioning off a hog? They still do that??

Tatanka
06-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Does that stuff seriously happen or are you guys just saying stuff like auctioning off a hog? They still do that??

Dude. They're super serial.

I mean, isn't that every SDSU boy's mission on a Saturday Night? Go to a sporting event and come home with a hog (or better yet a heifer)?

NDSUstudent
06-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Bisonville, world cup edition....

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.bisonville.com/forum/index.php

BisonAccountant44
06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
New way to torture the dome nazis. Everyone download the vuvuzella app on their Droid or iPhone. They'll never know what hit them. :D

imabison
06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Bisonville, world cup edition....

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.bisonville.com/forum/index.php

And I did not see this posted but wanna buy one?

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Section_Id=1&Product_Id=523223&cm_mmc=CA-_-CSE-_-google-_-SOC&CAWELAID=418477091

IronRanger
06-24-2010, 05:10 AM
If you are still looking for buying a horn check out this site they are out of the twin cities.

http://www.domeplus.com/minnesotatwins/Toy/red_stadium_horn.htm

I think this is where the book store used to get theres from and also I think this is where they were bought a few years back when they were sold to the students.....back in the GWFC days.