PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Wooden

HandoEX
06-05-2010, 02:48 AM
The greatest coach to ever live has passed. What a legend. RIP Wizard!

North Side
06-05-2010, 04:34 AM
John Wooden was/is the man! I am making it one of my life goals to live that long.

sambini
06-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Amazing coach and person+++ RIP

SUBISON247
06-05-2010, 06:40 AM
It is simply amazing that as good of a coach as he was(the best actually) he was a better person! He was the type of person we should all aspire to be.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden

bison68
06-05-2010, 01:04 PM
For those that don't know, he was all set on coaching the Gophers until a snowstorm kept them from contacting him that he had the job, so he thought they had lost interest, and by time they got ahold of him he had already accepted the UCLA job.

Herd
06-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I like the Kareem quote on John Wooden:

Wooden cared so much that he would not allow us to do the stupid things that college kids normally do. Wooden wanted more for us. In turn, we wanted to do right by Wooden . . . he brought the best out of each of us.

Kareems favorite Coach Wooden quote(from his website): Talent is God given; be humble. Fame is man given; be thankful. Conceit is self given; be careful.

sambini
06-06-2010, 04:22 AM
ESPN Classic has been running stuff all day. Just love the man what a great person he was++

onbison09
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
My dad heard on the radio a story Bill Walton was saying how John wanted him to cut his hair and Bill said he didn't think he could do that. John, without cracking a smile or anything, says, "Well I'm sorry it's not going to work out. I wish you luck catching on with another team and in life." Bill cut his hair.

siouxdgj
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
What an outstanding individual, mentor, coach, human being. He's what every mother would want for a son, husband, you name it. The lessons John Wooden taught will be emulated all over the world. And to think, but for a winter blizzard that disrupted telephone lines, Wooden would have been the coach of the basketball Minnesota Golden Gophers. By the time the U got through to Wooden he had already accepted the UCLA job. And Wooden said he couldn't go back on his promise to UCLA, even though he reportedly preferred the Minnesota job. That's class. RIP.

NorthernBison
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
My dad heard on the radio a story Bill Walton was saying how John wanted him to cut his hair and Bill said he didn't think he could do that. John, without cracking a smile or anything, says, "Well I'm sorry it's not going to work out. I wish you luck catching on with another team and in life." Bill cut his hair.

A guy on ESPN told basically the same story about the Walton hair issue. Wooden didn't allow long hair or facial hair. Walton was a bit of a rebel and went to Coach and told him that "It wasn't fair" and "Might even be a violation of his civil rights".

Wooden apparently said:
1. You're probably correct Bill.
2. We're sure going to miss you.

skolbrother
06-08-2010, 05:04 AM
I had the great privelege of hearing Coach Wooden speak and then was able to meet him and chat for a moment. WOW! He was in his mid 90's at the time and still had everyone in the room mesmerized with his presence! He autographed a book which I gave to my Father in-law who idolized him, all of it so very cool.
What a life, he will be missed!

Kermit
06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
For those who don't know a lot about the great John Wooden, this isn't a bad place to start:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5249709

The life lessons taught by John Wooden have become legend. Here's a collection of some of the greatest "Woodenisms."

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."

"Never mistake activity for achievement."

"Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

(Lots more if you follow the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5249709.

You might also want to go here: http://www.coachwooden.com/

ndsubison1
06-17-2010, 04:44 AM
Also check the last quote of my sig :)

Trim
06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
"Don't whine, don't complain, and don't make excuses".
-John Wooden's Father