PDA

View Full Version : Jensen the starter (for now)??

TheBisonator
06-02-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't want to start any nasty things (like mudslinging and unwarranted side rumours), but I recently talked to someone on the inside a couple days before I left Fargo (I will not name names), and they told me that even though the team is portraying to everyone in the media that Mohler will start, that Jensen is actually the favourite QB on the team, and that the coaches want Jensen to start. Still though, there is fall camp to worry about. But according to my source, Jensen is Number One going into fall camp.

Even if this is true, I am not putting too much emotion in this decision, because anything can happen between the first week of August and Sept. 4. If Jensen shows the good stuff by then, probably we will know that he will be the starter already.

Just wanted to let you know.

Tatanka
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't want to start any nasty things (like mudslinging and unwarranted side rumours), but I recently talked to someone on the inside a couple days before I left Fargo (I will not name names), and they told me that even though the team is portraying to everyone in the media that Mohler will start, that Jensen is actually the favourite QB on the team, and that the coaches want Jensen to start. Still though, there is fall camp to worry about. But according to my source, Jensen is Number One going into fall camp.

Even if this is true, I am not putting too much emotion in this decision, because anything can happen between the first week of August and Sept. 4. If Jensen shows the good stuff by then, probably we will know that he will be the starter already.

According to my source, your source's information is Number Two.

lakesbison
06-02-2010, 11:37 PM
you are the worst poster on here. sorry, this is wroong

X-Factor
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
My source (relative of Craig Bohl), told me that Nick Mertens is appealing to the NCAA for another year of eligibility because he fell victim to a poor team and that he is the leading candidate heading into fall camp. But lets not start spreading rumors here.

roadwarrior
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't want to start any nasty things (like mudslinging and unwarranted side rumours)....

Too late for that now isn't it?

IzzyFlexion
06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Does this mean that Steven Threet will forfeit the deposit on his newly acquired Fargo apartment.
sorry-I realize that joke is getting old but I just couldn't help it.

ndsubison1
06-03-2010, 12:37 AM

And sources are also never biased :rolleyes:

Although Jensen is giving Mohler all he can handle, I have a hard time believing he will beat out Mohler before the KU game. This is just my opinion, but I have a hard time believing the coaches will be throwing Jensen to the wolves unless he is significantly better than Mohler in August.

mgbison
06-03-2010, 01:09 AM
c'mom, why post crap like this unless you're gonna name your source.

Most posters on this site have some sort of inside source, and don't post crap like that.

Notorious
06-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Jensen is a more prototypical QB, while Mohler is a slinger....I can see where Jensen may be favored by the staff...also, he has an additional year...I say 50/50 for the KU game, and if not, 100% by midseason...he will be the starter...still not sold on Mohler.

MNLonghorn10
06-03-2010, 02:05 AM
this would be incredibly dumb to put jensen out there.

chuckles
06-03-2010, 02:11 AM
I was always taught to cite my sources. I see none. Therefore, I see little credibility in this.

HerdBot
06-03-2010, 02:33 AM

Why? Because he's a freshman?

Steve Walker started as a freshman and was essentially undefeated. His only loss was to SIU but he blew out his knee early in the game and didn't get a chance to play. We lost 9-0.

99Bison
06-03-2010, 02:45 AM

Steve Walker started as a freshman and was essentially undefeated. His only loss was to SIU but he blew out his knee early in the game and didn't get a chance to play. We lost 9-0.

Walker didn't start as a freshman until about game 9 (3-0?)... and got injured at the end of his SO year.

Kermit
06-03-2010, 03:12 AM
I don't want to start any nasty things (like mudslinging and unwarranted side rumours), but I... Just wanted to let you know.

Wow. What were you thinking when you posted that?

I like Jensen alot. He has great potential and he was excellent in the spring game. Mohler is #1 right now, because he earned it with his play in the final part of last season and throughout the spring.

Nobody wants to win more than the coaching staff. Anyone who thinks they would make someone the starting QB while simultaneously believing that another guy would give the team a better chance to win is sadly mistaken.

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 03:17 AM
well, im friends with both guys, and even talked to a offensive player that I met both of them through and HE said "jose is #1, nothing has changed, why would something change on June 1 ?"

BOX.

HerdBot
06-03-2010, 03:35 AM
Walker didn't start as a freshman until about game 9 (3-0?)... and got injured at the end of his SO year.

Ah your right... he relieved Stauss in game 2 and almost pulled off a miricle comeback... I remember being annoyed that he wasn't starting because he clearly was an elite talent and that wasn't a knock on Stauss eihter because he was a solid QB. But I think we all know he woul have been more than capable as starting.

Da Bison
06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Does this mean that Steven Threet will forfeit the deposit on his newly acquired Fargo apartment.
sorry-I realize that joke is getting old but I just couldn't help it.

Swany
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
This post reminds me of an old-saying:

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know."

HandoEX
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM

You have a lakes complex.

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
HANDO!! i told you penicillin!

WYOBISONMAN
06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Argh! ..........Let's just let this thread die.......:smh:

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
or you could lock and send to hall of shame.

Grizzled
06-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I personally know 3 people and drink beers with them and they told me this thread could be locked. Plus I am friends with 2 players on the team who also said this thread could be locked. Oops, I thought we where still dropping names.

Notorious
06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
unsubstantiated rumor = wrong
dicussion on the merits of Jensen starting at QB = something to fill the abyss

MNLonghorn10
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM

whats mohler done to lose the starting job? i thought he played well last year.

throwing jensen to the dogs is like i said, stupid.

HerdBot
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
whats mohler done to lose the starting job? i thought he played well last year.

throwing jensen to the dogs is like i said, stupid.

Jose was solid and should be better this year but we can't assume that just because he started 4 meaningless games last year that he is considered the starter. The best QB should start. Competition makes everyone better. That's up for the coaches to decide.

DjKyRo
06-03-2010, 06:08 PM
The fact that we start the season out with arguably two of our toughest games (@ UNI or vs. SIU, tough call) is points in Mohler's minimal starting experience it's still more than Jensen's got. Both are great players from what we've seen thus far but I really think the job is Jose's to lose heading into the season.

BisonNeil
06-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I love this! We're talking about two GOOD QB's who could both start!!

How can you all not love this discussion given that two years, notwithstanding the rumor of course!

Better two QBs than none!

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
watch out neil. 4mcrue is lurking....

ok...notoriouis. summer abyss averted, more bogus rumors spread...

ndsubison1
06-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Jose was solid and should be better this year but we can't assume that just because he started 4 meaningless games last year that he is considered the starter. The best QB should start. Competition makes everyone better. That's up for the coaches to decide.

I wouldnt call those games meaningless

SDbison
06-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I wouldnt call those games meaningless
Those several games at the end of last year demonstrated to me that Mohler is nothing special. I can already see (and the coaches also do) that Jensen is the real deal. I really believe Jensen will be the better QB in Fall camp. The question is whether the coaches feel he will be able to deal with a 1st game at Kansas, especially if it blows up on him. But then again think what we would have to look forward to if Jensen did well at Kansas. 4 years of a QB with confidence, leadership and skills.

semobison
06-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I thought Mohler had a great game last year against Youngstown. Our last score, a 3 or 4 play drive was a thing of beauty. Its too bad our D didnt show up. I love his speed and mobility. That being said, I have never seen Jensen play. I hope he is as good as some of you say he is!

WRSDBison
06-04-2010, 12:12 AM

you're soooo smart. I'll use an example. You claim to be a Longhorn fan. Was Mack Brown "incredibly dumb" to put Colt McCoy into the starting lineup for the first game of his career? By the way, he was also a redshirt freshman and then proceeded to start every game of his college career. And here I thought that Mack Brown was a pretty damn smart and good football coach. I'm glad you just pointed out to me he was "incredibly dumb" to throw the redshirt freshman into the fire his very first game.

CaBisonFan
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Jensen is a more prototypical QB, while Mohler is a slinger....I can see where Jensen may be favored by the staff...also, he has an additional year...I say 50/50 for the KU game, and if not, 100% by midseason...he will be the starter...still not sold on Mohler.

Mohler is a mobile...lightning-quick QB who plays the west coast extremely well. Has a quick release...throws a catchable ball...and sees more than one receiver. I don't know anything about Jensen.

But the best guy needs to play. I don't give a damn who it is. I just wanna see Bison football again.

MNLonghorn10
06-04-2010, 01:53 AM
you're soooo smart. I'll use an example. You claim to be a Longhorn fan. Was Mack Brown "incredibly dumb" to put Colt McCoy into the starting lineup for the first game of his career? By the way, he was also a redshirt freshman and then proceeded to start every game of his college career. And here I thought that Mack Brown was a pretty damn smart and good football coach. I'm glad you just pointed out to me he was "incredibly dumb" to throw the redshirt freshman into the fire his very first game.

coming off a national championship, and vince going to the pros, who are you goin to start. snead or mccoy? both have 0 experience starting. this is a different scenario since mohler got some burn last year.

next time, try harder.

and please dont try to compare brock jensen with colt mccoy.

silkamilkamonico
06-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Those several games at the end of last year demonstrated to me that Mohler is nothing special.

I agree. Mohler can do some really good things with his mobility, but IMO he leaves a lot of plays out on the field with his arm. It was probably just a freshman inexperience thing, but I didn't see anything from Mohler to make me think he has a significant edge over anyone coming in. I think Jensen has a significantly higher learning curve and growth potential than Mohler does, and I would like to see him earn his oppurtunity in camp and get some playing time if he deserves it to see what he can do.

NDSUstudent
06-04-2010, 03:08 AM
It should be Mohler's job until Jensen takes it from him. I did like Mohler's progression at QB, Jensen would have to be doing something special for him to take to the starting job away before the first game of the season.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2010, 03:49 AM

FAIL. BTW, he doesn't "claim" to be a longhorn fan...he is a fan...but I guess spending thousands of dollars to see a couple games a year doesn't count...

But then again think what we would have to look forward to if Jensen did well at Kansas. 4 years of a QB with confidence, leadership and skills.

But, but, but....the future of NDSU QB's isn't even on campus yet!

Facts
06-04-2010, 04:00 AM
I heard who THE SOURCE IS... that's right... you guessed it... Frank Stallone!

ndsubison1
06-04-2010, 06:54 AM

he was also a top recruit

MNLonghorn10
06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
he was also a top recruit

mccoy was only a 3 star

Notorious
06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I guess I don't get why everyone is so pro-mohler...he played a few games last year and did an adequate job. He has proven only slightly more than Jensen, and while his limited game experience may help some in the KU game, I don't think it is unreasonable to think that Jensen would not be able to step in and perform well also.

Additionally, I think the discussion about depth at QB is a bit premature...maybe even wishful thinking. I wouldn't say having a guy with a couple games under his belt, two who have never taken a snap, and an incoming freshman with a love of "boy band spoofs" constitutes depth...yet.

With that said, I like where we are at the QB position. We appear to have some options. It would be really nice to have a Senior starter this year and have these young guys waiting in the wings. Unfortunately, poor recruiting at the position has put us in a bit of a spot.

I would love to see Mohler do well, but I just don't see. I think he provides an average solution, while Jensen probably has more upside. If I were the head coach, and thank god I am not, I would go with Jensen from day 1, let him take some lumps this year, and have him for 3 years and a couple deep playoff runs.

Grizzled
06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I like both qb's but think Mohler is the starter come Kansas. He wasn't overly impressive last season but he was solid and played injured. Obviously the coaches had confidence in him to keep him in there and the players respected him toughing it out. I would have no problem with Jensen starting as he was impressive during the spring game but was a little inconsistent during the entire spring. I also think if Jensen does win the job in fall camp than Jose will transfer elsewhere with two years of elgiblity remaining.

Notorious
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I also think if Jensen does win the job in fall camp than Jose will transfer elsewhere with two years of elgiblity remaining.

Exactly...the huge downside if Jensen starts, is that we are back to a glaring depth problem at QB...probably lose Mohler, maybe Perez(?), and we're left with a bare cupboard again...

EndZoneQB
06-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I guess I don't get why everyone is so pro-mohler...he played a few games last year and did an adequate job. He has proven only slightly more than Jensen, and while his limited game experience may help some in the KU game, I don't think it is unreasonable to think that Jensen would not be able to step in and perform well also.

Additionally, I think the discussion about depth at QB is a bit premature...maybe even wishful thinking. I wouldn't say having a guy with a couple games under his belt, two who have never taken a snap, and an incoming freshman with a love of "boy band spoofs" constitutes depth...yet.

With that said, I like where we are at the QB position. We appear to have some options. It would be really nice to have a Senior starter this year and have these young guys waiting in the wings. Unfortunately, poor recruiting at the position has put us in a bit of a spot.

I would love to see Mohler do well, but I just don't see. I think he provides an average solution, while Jensen probably has more upside. If I were the head coach, and thank god I am not, I would go with Jensen from day 1, let him take some lumps this year, and have him for 3 years and a couple deep playoff runs.

Who is specifically pro-mohler?? The only thing most of us are saying is that Mohler was the starter out of spring ball...why would that have changed at this point?? If Jensen is better come August, then great, I'm sure most of us will be even that much more excited for him to play.

Exactly...the huge downside if Jensen starts, is that we are back to a glaring depth problem at QB...probably lose Mohler, maybe Perez(?), and we're left with a bare cupboard again...

If we have the right guys, they will stick with the team to be a team player. If every time someone won a starting job, QB's transfered, it'd be impossible to have any depth. Plus, it's not like if Jensen wins it this year, there isn't a chance someone takes it from him?? I'd just work harder.

Grizzled
06-04-2010, 03:06 PM
If we have the right guys, they will stick with the team to be a team player. If every time someone won a starting job, QB's transfered, it'd be impossible to have any depth. Plus, it's not like if Jensen wins it this year, there isn't a chance someone takes it from him?? I'd just work harder.

Most positions I would agree with you but QB is a different animal. It takes a string on poor games to lose your job at qb (insert joke here). And if its a freshman that is starting the leash is a little longer.

That being said I think Jose is the starter this year for the entire year as long as he's healthy. The coaches know they better win and win this year and I think Jose is the guy to do that. With Jose at qb we are 7-4 maybe 8-3.

Castor Troy
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I thought Mohler had a great game last year against Youngstown. Our last score, a 3 or 4 play drive was a thing of beauty. Its too bad our D didnt show up. I love his speed and mobility. That being said, I have never seen Jensen play. I hope he is as good as some of you say he is!

This game was very encouraging even though it was a loss. Mohler scattered his passes all over the field, hitting full backs, wide receivers, and tight ends with accurate passes. This game alone has earned him the #1 spot until Brock proves he can do it in a game. Mohler has already done so.

I have a feeling that Mohler will have a break out year and this thread will seem silly in hindsight.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Most positions I would agree with you but QB is a different animal. It takes a string on poor games to lose your job at qb (insert joke here). And if its a freshman that is starting the leash is a little longer.

No, I completely agree with you here, but you'd have to be a pretty poor sport to transfer just because you got beat out. That was ultimately my main point, as well as anything can happen at anytime, especially if you are working your ass off and improving.

OldBison
06-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Premature? You just don't get it do you? Lakes has guarangoddamteed Mohler will be great!

Mertens 2008 and 2009; Mohler 2010-2012, remember? How could you even begin to doubt Mohler's greatness? Lakes knows more about football than any of us. Surely you remember that!!!

OldBison
06-04-2010, 09:06 PM
No, I completely agree with you here, but you'd have to be a pretty poor sport to transfer just because you got beat out. That was ultimately my main point, as well as anything can happen at anytime, especially if you are working your ass off and improving.

Remembe Mitch Brecke? It has happened at NDSU before under Bohl and it could happen again

:hide:

silkamilkamonico
06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Remembe Mitch Brecke? It has happened at NDSU before under Bohl and it could happen again

It happens a lot of places. It happens pretty miuch everywhere at some point. Kids want to play football, and then want to play in college. If they don't see that oppurtunity, they will transfer elsewhere for that oppurtunity.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Obviously it DOES happen, but I don't see why we outright assume one of these guys are going to transfer. We are getting way ahead of ourselves here with this one...

Notorious
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Obviously it DOES happen, but I don't see why we outright assume one of these guys are going to transfer. We are getting way ahead of ourselves here with this one...

I'll bet you a cookie that either Jensen, or Mohler, will not be on the roster in the Fall of 2011.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I'll bet you a cookie that either Jensen, or Mohler, will not be on the roster in the Fall of 2011.

I'll bet you a 6 or 12 pack of your favorite beer to make it interesting and worth revisiting? haha, it is definitely the summer abyss.

Gully
06-05-2010, 01:19 AM

I would be shocked if Jensen wasn't on the team in 2011. Mohler could possibly leave if he were to get beat out by Brock but I doubt Brock would. Remember he's younger than Mohler.

I'm not sure why but I have a real good feeling that Jensen is going to be one good QB...just not sure if it'll be this year.

TransAmBison
06-05-2010, 02:58 AM
I would be shocked if Jensen wasn't on the team in 2011. Mohler could possibly leave if he were to get beat out by Brock but I doubt Brock would. Remember he's younger than Mohler.

I'm not sure why but I have a real good feeling that Jensen is going to be one good QB...just not sure if it'll be this year.
After tailgating with Jensen's dad last year and at the spring game I do not think there is ANY way he would leave the Bison. No way. Not gonna happen. That is a fact...now on to opinion...the kid is going to be a star for Da Bison.

CaBisonFan
06-05-2010, 03:28 AM
After tailgating with Jensen's dad last year and at the spring game I do not think there is ANY way he would leave the Bison. No way. Not gonna happen. That is a fact...now on to opinion...the kid is going to be a star for Da Bison.

I sincerely hope you're right...:nod:

HandoEX
06-05-2010, 03:33 AM
I know Perez had a really disappointing spring game, but he looked pretty good in spring practices. I think that even if he doesn't start, he won't transfer either. Those who talked to his pop and bro at the spring game saw what I saw.....they were really excited and proud when we chatted pre-game. The only liability to transfer at QB right now is Jose, IMO.

4mcruenomore
06-05-2010, 04:45 AM
So, Jensen will start next year and Thorton will be the back up???

BlueBisonRock
06-05-2010, 05:36 AM
So, Jensen will start next year and Thorton will be the back up???

Nope. Thorton will take the redshirt and will earn his shot down the road.

4mcruenomore
06-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Nope. Thorton will take the redshirt and will earn his shot down the road.

If it was up to LB, he'd concede before he even set foot on the field.

bosco
06-09-2010, 01:21 AM
I've heard something and I will even give you my source. After tailgating last year with Jason " The Doctor" Anderson, it has been confirmed that all home games will be played at home.

DjKyRo
06-09-2010, 01:42 AM
I've heard something and I will even give you my source. After tailgating last year with Jason " The Doctor" Anderson, it has been confirmed that all home games will be played at home.

You heard it on Bisonville first!

cbline
06-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Yeah, but at WHOSE home?!?!?!?

TransAmBison
06-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Sorry bud, but you got some bad info. Hopefully you haven't been spreading this around to much. You see, not all home games are played at home. For reference, see the Gophers. Need another example, check games played in Brookings. (Can't remember the name of the opponent for some reason, I don't think their fans can remember either since they don't show up to games)

RunDMc34
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry bud, but you got some bad info. Hopefully you haven't been spreading this around to much. You see, not all home games are played at home. For reference, see the Gophers. Need another example, check games played in Brookings. (Can't remember the name of the opponent for some reason, I don't think their fans can remember either since they don't show up to games)

This is correct I also have heard a rumor from some of my sources* that Cedar Falls, IA is hosting a "bison home game" this year?

* I don't really have sources, I just wanna be like all the other bisonvillers that do

EndZoneQB
06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
This is correct I also have heard a rumor from some of my sources* that Cedar Falls, IA is hosting a "bison home game" this year?

* I don't really have sources, I just wanna be like all the other bisonvillers that do

My source says you're finally getting the Bisonville thing!

TransAmBison
06-09-2010, 08:04 PM
My source says you're finally getting the Bisonville thing!
Yeah, that's going around. Go get a prescription and it should be cleared up in a couple weeks.

Tatanka
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that's going around. Go get a prescription and it should be cleared up in a couple weeks.

I heard from a reliable source that Lakes might have some extra penicillin.

tjbison
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I heard from a reliable source that Lakes might have some extra penicillin.

Well not anymore because my source tells me he took it all to Vegas with him!!

bosco
06-10-2010, 02:39 AM
I never said my source was correct, I just wanted to make sure you knew who told me. For those of you that do know "The Doctor" also know he is usually very unreliable. Sorry for starting a vicious rumor.

ndsubison1
11-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I'll bet you a 6 or 12 pack of your favorite beer to make it interesting and worth revisiting? haha, it is definitely the summer abyss.

looks like endzone needs to pay up :D

344Johnson
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

Wow Note, well done sir. I will send a cookie to you in the mail..

Reading that entire thread made my day...I thought I remembered everyone thinking Mohler was going to be our savior, even at 19, it seems my memory is not that good. Seems like people were already warming up to Jensen and Mohler had actually looked pretty solid in his few starts as a freshman..

bisonmike2
11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Who's this Jensen kid? Is he any good?

EndZoneQB
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
looks like endzone needs to pay up :D

Oh snap, good find. Good thing he visited our tailgate last week, that was his freebie!!

bisonfan08
11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Who's this Jensen kid? Is he any good?

He's okay (sarcasm), completion percentage could probably be a little better (more sarcasm), but at least we are winning (TRUTH!!!)!

JustinTyem
08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
I like to look at the past and see how far we have come to !!!!!!:biggrin: and another............. http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?21923-bohl-screws-up-by-NOT-starting-jose/page10&highlight=Brock+Jensen

SamsRams
08-21-2012, 04:57 AM
After todays move the thread now has a different meaning

Jensen the starter (for now)??

JustinTyem
08-21-2012, 05:02 AM
This team has come so far,more then we hoped for,in just less then 2 years. It just shows that from the players to the coaches, its one Big Family, not individuals.