PDA

View Full Version : Boise State to MWC, Montana/NDSU to WAC

lakesbison
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/2/1497598/boise-state-mountain-west-conference-mwc-invitation-realignment

looks like 1 more WAC team could be leaving. (UTAH or BYU) thus opening up 2 spots in the WAC!

lets start this mo fo!!! LETS PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDbison
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/2/1497598/boise-state-mountain-west-conference-mwc-invitation-realignment

looks like 1 more WAC team could be leaving. (UTAH or BYU) thus opening up 2 spots in the WAC!

lets start this mo fo!!! LETS PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am ready........but the small time thinkers at Bisonville are still stuck in the 1980's.

Tatanka
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
http://www.eightyeightynine.com/pics/footlooseleggies1a.jpg

Like, totally.

lakesbison
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
repostin' -- 150,000 people in the fargo area.

another 100,000 in northwest/west central minnesota .

Lots of money in fargo, tons of it actually, basketball facility is getting a boost, im sure our own engineer's could add into the corners at the dome or add a level on the west side. Lots of reasons why NDSU could make it at the FBS level

TheBisonator
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
repostin' -- 150,000 people in the fargo area.

another 100,000 in northwest/west central minnesota .

Lots of money in fargo, tons of it actually, basketball facility is getting a boost, im sure our own engineer's could add into the corners at the dome or add a level on the west side. Lots of reasons why NDSU could make it at the FBS level

Actually, there's over 300,000 people living within a 60 mile radius of the corner of Broadway and NP. And I still think the best way to add onto the FFD is to add a second deck over the west grandstand by changing the roof slope and adding concourses behind the west wall. Capacity would be something like 23,000. That would be acceptable to the WAC. Assuming we get Sanford Arena built.

roadwarrior
06-03-2010, 12:01 AM
All we need now is for the NCAA moratorium on changing divisions or subdivisions to expire and get the invitation from the WAC.

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 12:43 AM
They will lift it to help a FBS conference keep its members at the current levels. you watch.

NDSU's new president should work some BIG 12 mojo and pick up the phone to the WAC people!!

Gully
06-03-2010, 04:39 AM
All we need now is for the NCAA moratorium on changing divisions or subdivisions to expire and get the invitation from the WAC.

Interesting, I didn't even know there was a moratorium on changing subdivisions....not sure I understand why they did that.

I'm all for a move to the WAC, I think it is more than possible.

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 04:49 AM
5 reply's to this in 1 day?

this is BIG news, how can you guys not realize how close this could be happening

Bison bison
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Boise State going to the MWC isn't a big deal compared to what might be coming.

NDSU to the WAC is a long shot right now.

There are a million-and-scenarios where NDSU is affected and a thousand times that many where they aren't.

The Broncos joining their old friends in the Mountain West doesn't change that much.

Now if the MWC goes to 12 teams and continually raids the WAC as the PAC-10 and the Big 12 cherry pick the conference....

Hambone
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-30425-College-Football-Examiner~y2010m6d2-Boise-State-Mountain-West-union-coming-soon

Herd80
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
North Dakota?

Wow, that's a stretch

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
sorry hambone. its a typo, kevin already has been contacted and it'll be changed, thanks for playing though.

NDSUstudent
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm all for leaving the Summit and joining the WAC. It would really help increase exposure for our teams and give them access to better competition(which will help come NCAA tournament time).

Lets face it the Summit is not where our peers are and they will never be there. While we may not be ready for an FBS move, the time to move might be coming soon.

If you look at the WAC it is probably our best shot at being in a conference with our peers. I'm not saying this will happen or will be mad if doesn't happen, but it is defiintely something our leadership should look into.

DjKyRo
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I think it's something that could definitely happen in 15-20 years. Let's establish ourselves in football (which is going to be the primary element of any potential conference move) as an annual competitor before we get too ahead of ourselves. 6-5 and 3-8 don't exactly bode well for moving up to higher competition and scholarship numbers.

Again - eventually it could and should definitely happen. The market is there, the fanbase is there, the potential is there. Right now those three elements need to continue to rise for us to consider leapfrogging any steps in the system.

SDbison
06-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I think it's something that could definitely happen in 15-20 years. Let's establish ourselves in football (which is going to be the primary element of any potential conference move) as an annual competitor before we get too ahead of ourselves. 6-5 and 3-8 don't exactly bode well for moving up to higher competition and scholarship numbers.

Again - eventually it could and should definitely happen. The market is there, the fanbase is there, the potential is there. Right now those three elements need to continue to rise for us to consider leapfrogging any steps in the system.
15-20 years? I think your timescale is a little distorted. I say it happens in the next 5 to 10 years, if not earlier.

lakesbison
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
If 2011 ( or monday press conf with boise st) is NDSU's only window of opportunity to get into the WAC.

we better come out with guns a-blazing and make a push. take away our last year or football and basketball, we'd look DAM good as a invitee'

NDSUstudent
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
We probably aren't completely ready but sometimes you have to see the window and jump at the right time, or you could be "ready" with no conference that wants to add members at that time.

With the NCAA changing the rules, I think NDSU should strongly think about it what it should do. We can't just jump up to FBS when we are ready, we need an invite from an established conference first.

With all the movement that is about to happen I think a school needs to be proactive or it could be left in the dust. The WAC might add a bunch of teams and never look this way again.

This will definitely be time when having good leadership will be key.

Herd
06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
While FBS football would be cool, do you really want to be in the WAC . . . Really? Come-on now. Yes, its a step up from the Summit, but the WAC, Really, you like this idea?

Has anyone looked at who's in the WAC? This isn't the Mountain West, we are talking about the WAC, right. I'd rather play FCS football in the Valley than play the teams and the time zones of the WAC. Does not thrill me.

Serious, the W in WAC stand for Western. If we wanted to join the WAC, which I don't, we probably would be behind schools like Sac, Davis, Poly, Port St, MT, MT St in the pecking order . . . becuase of the W.

Shawn-O
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I think tomorrow's FBS will not resemble today's...call it a BCS/FBS/FCS split, no more money games with Big Ten, Big 16, etc. unless you're FBS, which would be Mountain West, WAC, MAC, C-USA, Sun Belt mixture. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, that's for sure.

Herd
06-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I think tomorrow's FBS will not resemble today's...call it a BCS/FBS/FCS split, no more money games with Big Ten, Big 16, etc. unless you're FBS, which would be Mountain West, WAC, MAC, C-USA, Sun Belt mixture. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, that's for sure.

Why do you assume that conference realignment means no more FCS/FBS games? Why would this change, why would "No FBS/FCS games" be stipulated by FBS conferneces who's teams need wins? What conferences are talking about this?

Bison bison
06-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Point Numero Uno. The window will be there when it's there/ if it's there. NDSU needs to maintain its commitment to quality and not worry about things it can't control.

Point Numero Dos. Our record in football or basketball for one season isn't going to make or break anything.

Point Numero Tres. We aren't on the radar for the WAC. We're an FCS team in North Dakota. We are far removed from their geographic footprint and don't have the level of support of most WAC members .This could change quickly as the WAC might end up in survival mode and NDSU develops a feasible plan to increase the athletic/scholarship budget by millions.

Shawn-O
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Why do you assume that conference realignment means no more FCS/FBS games? Why would this change, why would "No FBS/FCS games" be stipulated by FBS conferneces who's teams need wins? What conferences are talking about this?

There would be FBS/FCS games. The "new" FBS would not include the "Big 64" or whatever you want to refer to it as. NDSU to the WAC or MAC would be very realistic in this new world, and the money games would continue similar to today. Just my $0.02.

tjbison
06-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Point Numero Uno. The window will be there when it's there/ if it's there. NDSU needs to maintain its commitment to quality and not worry about things it can't control.

Point Numero Dos. Our record in football or basketball for one season isn't going to make or break anything.

Point Numero Tres. We aren't on the radar for the WAC. We're an FCS team in North Dakota. We are far removed from their geographic footprint and don't have the level of support of most WAC members .This could change quickly as the WAC might end up in survival mode and NDSU develops a feasible plan to increase the athletic/scholarship budget by millions.

Don't tell this to JBB on AGS:hide: :hide: :hide:

Herd
06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
There would be FBS/FCS games. The "new" FBS would not include the "Big 64" or whatever you want to refer to it as. NDSU to the WAC or MAC would be very realistic in this new world, and the money games would continue similar to today. Just my $0.02.

So you are saying there is going to be 3 DI championships? 1) FCS 2) FBS 3) BCS?

I do not agree. The FBS football schools that did not make the BSC cut would completely wither on the vine. Why would the NCAA allow half of its current DI FBS schools to be emasculated? Today any undefeated FBS school will be a top 10 team and have a chance at a top bowl, even it's not the national championship game. For a WAC, MAC, USA, Belt team, that's the exposure they need to thrive. If they are not a perennial power, that's good enough. Why would the NCAA allow this to be taken away?

You have to understand, NCAA athletics is more than football, this 3 division system of which you speak for football will not happen. Why? The same reason that DI is now DI, and not DI-A & DI-AA. Do you think WAC, MAC, USA, and Belt schools deserve to be treated like that? I sure don't.

Bison bison
06-03-2010, 11:48 PM
So you are saying there is going to be 3 DI championships? 1) FCS 2) FBS 3) BCS?

I do not agree. The FBS football schools that did not make the BSC cut would completely wither on the vine. Why would the NCAA allow half of its current DI FBS schools to be emasculated? Today any undefeated FBS school will be a top 10 team and have a chance at a top bowl, even it's not the national championship game. For a WAC, MAC, USA, Belt team, that's the exposure they need to thrive. If they are not a perennial power, that's good enough. Why would the NCAA allow this to be taken away?

You have to understand, NCAA athletics is more than football, this 3 division system of which you speak for football will not happen. Why? The same reason that DI is now DI, and not DI-A & DI-AA. Do you think WAC, MAC, USA, and Belt schools deserve to be treated like that? I sure don't.

Um, because that's what those pc bastards are all about?

Herd
06-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Um, because that's what those pc bastards are all about?

I'm not sure what political correctness has to do with NCAA divisions.?. Nothing, I think.

If you want to whine about PC issues . . . that would be "siouxsports.com". ;)

DjKyRo
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM
15-20 years? I think your timescale is a little distorted. I say it happens in the next 5 to 10 years, if not earlier.

If it does, awesome. I'm all for moving up and think it's very feasible in the mid-term, I just don't think it's feasible right now. If for some reason a WAC invite would come I'd be the first to say "shit yeah, let's do this."

Well, maybe second because Lakes will have already known about it for months. :D

Gully
06-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm all for leaving the Summit and joining the WAC. It would really help increase exposure for our teams and give them access to better competition(which will help come NCAA tournament time).

Lets face it the Summit is not where our peers are and they will never be there. While we may not be ready for an FBS move, the time to move might be coming soon.

If you look at the WAC it is probably our best shot at being in a conference with our peers. I'm not saying this will happen or will be mad if doesn't happen, but it is defiintely something our leadership should look into.

I think this is right, it may be a tad early, but when the opportunity is there we need to take it.

Gully
06-04-2010, 01:43 AM

In 15-20 years the opportunity will be long passed. I'd say between 1-5 years is when we'll have our chance.

Hambone
06-04-2010, 02:06 AM
sorry hambone. its a typo, kevin already has been contacted and it'll be changed, thanks for playing though.

Only reason I posted it here is because I assumed it referred to NDSU because it was talking about schools leaving a conference to go there, which UND really wouldn't be doing. So, you misunderstood my intent....

IzzyFlexion
06-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Only reason I posted it here is because I assumed it referred to NDSU because it was talking about schools leaving a conference to go there, which UND really wouldn't be doing. So, you misunderstood my intent....

Just for the record, the New England Journal of Medicine says that there is a direct correlation between intent misunderstanding and human blood temperatures of 212 degrees.;)

lakesbison
06-04-2010, 03:38 AM
hambone and shawn o got to be the same person.
no problems.

the website is right and there will be more rumblings. MONTANA and NDSU would provide a great rivalry and travel partners!

ndsubison1
06-04-2010, 07:14 AM
While FBS football would be cool, do you really want to be in the WAC . . . Really? Come-on now. Yes, its a step up from the Summit, but the WAC, Really, you like this idea?

Has anyone looked at who's in the WAC? This isn't the Mountain West, we are talking about the WAC, right. I'd rather play FCS football in the Valley than play the teams and the time zones of the WAC. Does not thrill me.

Serious, the W in WAC stand for Western. If we wanted to join the WAC, which I don't, we probably would be behind schools like Sac, Davis, Poly, Port St, MT, MT St in the pecking order . . . becuase of the W.

The Valley is wack compared to the WAC

Bison bison
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Reinforcing Point #1. The Big 12 might (it's a long shot) be dead by Monday. Did anybody on here see it occurring this fast and in this manner?

Shawn-O
06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
hambone and shawn o got to be the same person.
no problems.

the website is right and there will be more rumblings. MONTANA and NDSU would provide a great rivalry and travel partners!

Hambone is a lot nicer than me.

Shawn-O
06-04-2010, 02:31 PM

With the opportunity that television and other media brings, we could see the big boys leave the NCAA in our lifetime. The resources and wherewithal would be there. Other than the basketball tournament the NCAA is bringing very little to the table other than some governance, and they can't even do that very well, but that's a different discussion.

NDSUstudent
06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
With the opportunity that television and other media brings, we could see the big boys leave the NCAA in our lifetime. The resources and wherewithal would be there. Other than the basketball tournament the NCAA is bringing very little to the table other than some governance, and they can't even do that very well, but that's a different discussion.

They wouldn't leave the NCAA, you've been reading to much Siouxsports lately Shawn-O. Even with the NCAA taking a huge cut the basketball tournament is very good to the power conferences, the NCAA also gives these schools some cover. If they split they would show the world what they are truly and it doesn't really involve academics. Don't forget that NCAA pays to run all these tournaments.

The only way they ever leave is if their football money or conference TV money is put into risk.

lakesbison
06-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Oh Oh... Tomorrow Is A Big Day!!

Shawn-O
06-07-2010, 04:46 AM
They wouldn't leave the NCAA, you've been reading to much Siouxsports lately Shawn-O. Even with the NCAA taking a huge cut the basketball tournament is very good to the power conferences, the NCAA also gives these schools some cover. If they split they would show the world what they are truly and it doesn't really involve academics. Don't forget that NCAA pays to run all these tournaments.

The only way they ever leave is if their football money or conference TV money is put into risk.

Best article I've seen written on the subject so far.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-expansion060610

SlickVic
06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Best article I've seen written on the subject so far.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-expansion060610

that was a good article makes sense...them citing that the big 12 would have made mad bank in a football playoff that one year with texas texas tech and oklahoma didnt factor into the equation that that was the best year for football in the history of that conference aka big ten last year ect all conferences would more or less balance out in terms of play off berths play off wins ect kind of a bs way to look at it...anyways ive had the big 10 network from day 1 other than psu out of conference games not picked up by espn or abc and that app state/michigan ive rarely if ever whatched a live football game on that channel so im not sure what all the fuss is about...but basketball seasons another story there are a ton of big time conference games worth tuning into via the big 10 network week in and week out multiple double headers some saturdays every single team plays on that network...i know nothing about it but i think thats what delany should try and do i mean you already got 3 of the top football programs out there throw in nebraska and notre dame thats 5 legit top 15 football programs historically and imho thats more than enough...expand to 18 teams throw invites at duke north carolina syracuse kansas and kansas state/louisville or maryland...that kind of an expansion would not only garentee must see college basketball every night of the week it would probably mean forcing every single television provider into adding b10 network to there channel packaging

ndsubison1
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
18 teams lmao. i dont see how any conference could go any more than 14

Kermit
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
18 teams lmao. i dont see how any conference could go any more than 14

The PAC-10 and the Big Ten are both actively exploring expanding to 16 teams. That would almost certainly mean dividing each into two divisions with a new conference championship game in football.

There are some clear disadvantages to having that many teams in a conference (logistics of schedules/travel, fewer games against traditional rivals)--but those disadvantages may be outweighed by business considerations (especially TV revenue) and the increased political clout that these "super conferences" would be able to wield.

lakesbison
06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
if PAC 10 and BIG 10 become PAC 16 and BIG 16.

WAC 16.

Wac East
Iowa St, Kansas, K State, Missouri, Colorado, Montana, NDSU, Idaho.

Wac West
Hawaii, New mexico St, Fresno, Nevada, San Jose State, Utah State, Baylor.

99Bison
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM

WAC 16.

Wac East

Wac West

Big 12 probably would want to keep the auto qualifier vs. going WAC, so then perhaps it would be call the BIG WAC.

Shawn-O
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

WAC 16.

Wac East

Wac West

Missouri and Colorado won't be there. Too big of markets with St.Louis, KC, and Denver.

lakesbison
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
the BIG WAC i LOVE IT!

missou & colorado can be replaced with wyoming/colorado state

NorthernBison
06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
ESPN Radio was reporting today that MWC announced that they would not be inviting Boise State at this time.

They might be thinking there will be several homeless Big 12 schools shortly.

Bison bison
06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Big 12 schools that won't help it in the slightest with the BCS...

EndZoneQB
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Just got an interesting email from my source that says NDSU WILL be moving to FBS in all of this shake up. Might be one of the '16'...people have taken notice how well we travel and support our sports...

DjKyRo
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
heh heh heh...."Big WAC."

Tatanka
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
teh wiggity wiggety wiggety WAC?

http://thezaz.nationallampoon.com/files/2008/01/506685_356x237.jpg

SDbison
06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Just got an interesting email from my source that says NDSU WILL be moving to FBS in all of this shake up. Might be one of the '16'...people have taken notice how well we travel and support our sports...
Seriously? I mean is NDSU really looking at this? I want to see it happen as soon as possible, but only under the right circumstances.
What is the 16 you are talking about?
Without giving up your source can you give some more background?

EndZoneQB
06-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Seriously? I mean is NDSU really looking at this? I want to see it happen as soon as possible, but only under the right circumstances.
What is the 16 you are talking about?
Without giving up your source can you give some more background?

I'll put it this way, they noticed how we walked in and won at Kohl Center, Metrodome, etc etc.

tjbison
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I'll put it this way, they noticed how we walked in and won at Kohl Center, Metrodome, etc etc.

Your making it sound as if we would be in a BCS conference??

I'm sorry but that is just way out there!

now a FBS to a lower Conference yes, but I also could have took it wrong so I apologize in advance if you meant the latter;)

Twentysix
06-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Its funny, cause the rest of the FCS thinks were ridiculous, and i totally see what they mean.

Originally Posted by EndZoneQB

^^ lol. His source is the inside of a laffy taffy wrapper. (where they have jokes from 5th graders)

EndZoneQB
06-08-2010, 04:29 AM
^^ lol. His source is the inside of a laffy taffy wrapper. (where they have jokes from 5th graders)

You have your opinion, I have my source.

Your making it sound as if we would be in a BCS conference??

I'm sorry but that is just way out there!

now a FBS to a lower Conference yes, but I also could have took it wrong so I apologize in advance if you meant the latter;)

What do you think it means? Mark May said it best when we beat the Gophers. It is still available on youtube if you've forgetten.

I'll put it this way: The Big Ten is the a bottom feeder conference in the BCS IMO. Constantly overrated teams that get handled elsewhere in the country...it's not unthinkable.

lakesbison
06-08-2010, 04:47 AM
NDSU could be in the LESS than Whack WAC,a watered down big 12 or a depleted MWC. no one is saying NDSU should be in the big 10 or big 12 as it sits now. duh.

ndsubison1
06-08-2010, 06:31 AM
There's a 0% chance of NDSU going to the Big Ten

Grizzled
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
You mean the Big10 commish doesn't want a piece of the huge North Dakota TV market?? :D

Da Bison
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
There's a 0% chance of NDSU going to the Big Ten

So.....................you're saying their is a chance:D

NDSUstudent
06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Apprenetly the WAC comish said the WAC has looked at more than 5 or 6 FCS schools and that he would not rule out adding a school in the central timezone.

He also said they would look at schools with tradition and a fanbase.

SDbison
06-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Apprenetly the WAC comish said the WAC has looked at more than 5 or 6 FCS schools and that he would not rule out adding a school in the central timezone.

He also said they would look at schools with tradition and a fanbase.
Well it has to be NDSU then! Lakes is right! :D

Shawn-O
06-08-2010, 09:47 PM
It's hard to say what will happen until Notre Dame and Texas play out their hands. I would think that your fan base and football facilities and resources, along with being in the F-M market would make you a viable candidate in the future.

The_Sicatoka
06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Some interesting reading in the Omaha World-Herald today:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100608/NEWS01/100609687
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/NEWS01/706099919
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/NEWS03/706099921

A scenario where NU and MU go to the Big Ten and the Big XII South becomes the Pac-10 East means that Kansas, K-State, and Iowa State would be looking for a home. That probably explains the MWC's inaction regarding Boise State: the MWC is waiting to see what they may be able to pick up.

UtahBison
06-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Here is a link to an article where the commissioner of the WAC states that the conference discussed potential teams for expansion from both the FBS and FCS that fit in their foot print. We may fit into their footprint (i.e. the entire western U.S.)

http://news.hjnews.com/sports/article_d427b776-72be-11df-938b-001cc4c002e0.html

bisonpride4ever
06-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Boise St to announce move to MWC.WAC says there are 5 or 6 schools from FCS they are considering.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276064

bisonmike2
06-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I think it would be cool as hell if we could pull off a move to the WAC but it won't happen anytime soon. Reason: MONEY. FBS is expensive and how are we going to pay for it? We have a brand new President who's taking over after a series of embarrassing financial miscues from the last guy. So you're telling me he's going to tell the board,

"Hey guys, I know I'm new here and all but we're going to make a push to FBS and change conferences okay? Oh, and I'm going to need to increase the athletic budget by, hmmm, around $10 million a year or so. Oh, and one last thing, the WAC isn't really cool with our shitty b-ball arena, so I'm going to need that upgraded pretty quickly. Thanks. Oh wait, I'm sorry I also forgot that I'm going to need the Fargodome capacity expanded to around 24K or so. That should be it for now. Thanks."

Dream on guys. Not going to happen anytime soon.

Hammersmith
06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Not to mention it could cost us up to a million just to get out of our current conferences($500k buyout for both Summit & MVFC if we leave before 2015-16).

EndZoneQB
06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I know what you guys are saying about the money, but if an FBS conference invites you, don't you sort of have to atleast attempt it? How often is that going to happen that a window is opened up to you like that? We took a leap of faith to D-I and we got lucky and found conferences for our sports. We could have ended up like UND with no real home in a real conference. This may be a once in a lifetime type of offer. I'm not saying it will happen, I just feel we need to actually look at the options if we do get that invite.

NDSUstudent
06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
That is my thought, if the WAC called could you say no? Money is an issue but with Boise leaving, I think we could compete in all WAC spots. Travel wouldn't really change. I doubt it will happen but it is interesting to think about.

99Bison
06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I know what you guys are saying about the money, but if an FBS conference invites you, don't you sort of have to atleast attempt it? How often is that going to happen that a window is opened up to you like that? We took a leap of faith to D-I and we got lucky and found conferences for our sports. We could have ended up like UND with no real home in a real conference. This may be a once in a lifetime type of offer. I'm not saying it will happen, I just feel we need to actually look at the options if we do get that invite.

Exactly and NDSU is in better position than the vast majority of FCS to pull it off. You have to look at it and figure out a feasible plan.

Hammersmith
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
#1 reason small businesses fail: business plan can't cope with failure
#2 reason small businesses fail: business plan can't cope with success

When you succeed more quickly than you expect, the tendency is to expand without having a good plan in place. This kills almost as many businesses as poor sales. A WAC opening could be a once-in-10/20-years opportunity, but it could kill us in the long run if we rush in before we're ready. I just think this is happening too quickly. We haven't been in DI long enough to get comfortable with the new costs and facility needs at our current level. If this was happening a few years from now, I'd have a totally different view. But it's happening now. Also, I still think the MVC would be a better home for NDSU in the long run versus the WAC. If we want FBS football(and I do), we can work with the MVFC members to move the conference up as a group. There are obstacles to that with the new rules likely coming out of the moratorium, but they probably could be worked around.

Maybe some of this is a geographic thing. I've lived in the RRV basically my entire life, so I view ND and NDSU as the western-most edge of the Midwest. That's why I look east and south for conferences. I think some of you view ND and NDSU as the eastern-most edge of the West, so you look west for conference possibilities. I doubt either view is really wrong, but my view is definitely more right. :D

NDSUstudent
06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
If the WAC offered NDSU and the Montana schools I would be all for it because we would be joining other FCS schools and growing into the FBS with them. Not sure about going it alone though, but honestly there is chance the WAC might not exist in a few weeks. Anything is possible with all the movement going on right now.

99Bison
06-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Exactly... personally just looking for some potential plans.

Bison bison
06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I will more than triple my Team Makers giving if NDSU joins the WAC.

roadwarrior
06-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Your upgrade form is in the mail!

TheBisonator
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm willing to upgrade to the third-lowest TeamMaker level ($1,000???) if we go FBS.

NDSUguy
06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
In case any are wondering about football/basketball faciliites... Well, here are the numbers for the new and improved WAC (as of right now)... It's interesting to note that Idaho doesn't have that great of football or basketball facilities. Assuming that we get an upgrade to the BSA that would allow us to not be the worst/smallest facilities in the WAC.

Fresno State
Bulldog Stadium 41,031
Save Mart Center 15,544

Hawaii
Aloha Stadium 50,000
Stan Sheriff Center 10,300

Idaho
Kibbie Dome 16,000
Cowan Spectrum 7,000

Louisiana Tech
Joe Aillet Stadium 30,600
Thomas Assembly Center 8,000

Nevada
Mackay Stadium 29,993
Lawlor Events Center 11,784

New Mexico State
Aggie Memorial Stadium 30,343
Pan American Center 13,071

San José State
Spartan Stadium 30,578
The Event Center Arena 5,000

Utah State
Romney Stadium 25,500
Smith Spectrum 10,270

NDSUstudent
06-11-2010, 08:20 PM
There is always the academic side...

Research...
Hawaii $271,835,000
USU 146,128,000
NMSU 138,427,000
Nevada 102,073,000
Idaho 81,532,000
SJSU 38,521,000
La Tech 19,406,000
Fresno 7,967,000

NDSU 115,513,000

For comparison sake...

MVC
SIU 67,094,000
Wichita 47,853,000
Creighton 26,872,000
Bradley 17,600,000
MSU 9,042,000
Il St 6,111,000
UNI 2,960,000
Ind St 1,689,000
Drake 730,000

Summit
NDSU 115,513,000
SDSU 47,758,000
UMKC 27,509,000
Oak 9,465,000
WIU 1,597,000

Tatanka
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Likely WAC targets:

UC Davis
Sac State (?)
Cal Poly
Montana
Montana State
San Diego State (?)

Just can't see them coming this far east. But I could be wrong. Either way if they poach an FCS it's a bonanza for the downstream goatherders.

NDSUstudent
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
This could make the WAC pretty solid athletically and academically...

East
NMSU $138,427,000 in research per NSF in 2008
Montana State 120,155,000
NDSU 115,513,000
Idaho 81,532,000
Montana 58,032,000
La Tech 19,406,000

West
UCD $642,519,000
Hawaii 271,835,000
USU 146,128,000
Nevada 102,073,000
SJSU 38,521,000
Fresno 7,967,000

tjbison
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM

East
NDSU 115,513,000
Idaho 81,532,000
Montana 58,032,000
La Tech 19,406,000

West
UCD $642,519,000
Hawaii 271,835,000
USU 146,128,000
Nevada 102,073,000
SJSU 38,521,000
Fresno 7,967,000

You should forward that to the WAC commish!!:p :p

NDSUstudent
06-11-2010, 09:40 PM
You should forward that to the WAC commish!!:p :p

If lakes is lurking it might already be copy/pasted and sent by now. ;)

Shawn-O
06-11-2010, 10:02 PM

East
NDSU 115,513,000
Idaho 81,532,000
Montana 58,032,000
La Tech 19,406,000

West
UCD $642,519,000
Hawaii 271,835,000
USU 146,128,000
Nevada 102,073,000
SJSU 38,521,000
Fresno 7,967,000

That is some fancy company that Davis is running with, wow.

Bison bison
06-11-2010, 10:38 PM
davis is a world-class research university WITH a medical school

BisBison
06-12-2010, 02:20 PM

AND an AG school!

Tatanka
06-12-2010, 02:33 PM

AND an AG school!

But, but, how can they be "superior" and "inferior" at the same time? :rolleyes:

KC Bison
06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
But, but, how can they be "superior" and "inferior" at the same time? :rolleyes:
++++++++++
Oh, oh, I get it. Superior cuz they are an ag school and inferior cuz of their med school.

Greenie
06-30-2010, 05:44 PM
No WAC changes in the near future
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5341257

lakesbison
06-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I like this!!

ICEMAN4342 (6/29/2010 at 9:32 PM) Report Violation

Here is the new WAC I see coming:

Fresno State, Hawaii, La Tech, SJ State, Utah St, Idaho, NM State, Nevada, North Dakota St., Montana, UC Davis who btw gave Boise St. more competition than Oregon who could only suckerpunch the WAC Champions, Gonzaga. Yes Gonzaga, for basketball and they start a football program to form a 12 team WAC with a WAC Championship game for a BCS berth if ranked in the top 12.

hell of a basketball league!

Tatanka
06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
No WAC changes in the near future
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5341257

But, but ICEMAN4342 says NDSU is in teh WAC for sure??!??!1!!

aces1180
06-30-2010, 06:12 PM
But, but ICEMAN4342 says NDSU is in teh WAC for sure??!??!1!!

ICEMAN also says he doesn't like Maverick because "he's dangerous." But then he changes his mine and says he can be his wing man anytime. Maverick says, "Bullshit. You can be mine."

bisonmike2
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
ICEMAN also says he doesn't like Maverick because "he's dangerous." But then he changes his mine and says he can be his wing man anytime. Maverick says, "Bullshit. You can be mine."

ICEMAN also says he doesn't like NDSU because "they're dangerous." But then he changes his mine and says he can be in his conference anytime. NDSU says, "Bullshit. You can be mine."

HooliganBison
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't get between Iceman and Maverick. Linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHklGtW3rwU)

EricB
07-02-2010, 05:34 AM
I like this!!

ICEMAN4342 (6/29/2010 at 9:32 PM) Report Violation

Here is the new WAC I see coming:

Fresno State, Hawaii, La Tech, SJ State, Utah St, Idaho, NM State, Nevada, North Dakota St., Montana, UC Davis who btw gave Boise St. more competition than Oregon who could only suckerpunch the WAC Champions, Gonzaga. Yes Gonzaga, for basketball and they start a football program to form a 12 team WAC with a WAC Championship game for a BCS berth if ranked in the top 12.

hell of a basketball league!

Really the WAC? I don't see NDSU in the WAC...

Twentysix
07-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Really the WAC? I don't see NDSU in the WAC...

P120b73Y UND thugh.