PDA

View Full Version : Possible starters next year?

DjKyRo
05-20-2010, 06:18 AM
So this may be premature considering we don't have that fourth schollie resolved, but who're everyone's picks for starters next year? The cool thing is we return two top scorers in Tveidt and Carlson, two semi-starters in Zastrow and Aaberg, and two injured key reserves in Coleman and Felt (both with starting experience, if only a slight amount).

Personally it's gotta be (to me:)

1 - Coleman/Zastrow
2 - Coleman/Felt
3 - Tveidt
4- Carlson
5- Aaberg

Gotta love the depth we gain with recruiting this year, we'll have I think ten total players that are underclassmen which is going to be huge in the years to come. Freddy will start at one guard spot or the other (I've listed the alternate where appropriate). Additionally, Braun, Bjorklund, and Nagel should provide big minutes off the bench and Lundberg will be a good reserve at the point. Any random, way-too-early predictions or insight?

Hey, I'm bored.

ndsubison1
05-20-2010, 06:25 AM
1. Zastrow
2. Coleman
3. Tveidt
4. Carlson
5. Aaberg

End of season I'd love to see Trayvonn or Bjorklund starting. Although barring any injuries I personally think Trayvonn and Baxter will both redshirt.

99Bison
05-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Guessing Bjorklund will be starting pretty soon on the time scale. Beyond that it's Tveidt and Carlson. It would be cool to get Aaberg on the floor with those 3 but not sure there's enough outside firepower at the 3 in that case.

HandoEX
05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
1. Zastrow-->Lundberg
2. Coleman-->Felt
3. Tveidt-->Braun
4. Carlson-->Bjorklund
5. Aaberg-->Nagel

Barring injury, this is who I have penciled in as the starters and top reserves to start the year. I think Felt will bring the most minutes off the bench, followed by Bjorklund and I think Baxter and Wright could both redshirt.

Kermit
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
1. Zastrow
2. Coleman
3. Tveidt
4. Carlson
5. Aaberg

End of season I'd love to see Trayvonn or Bjorklund starting. Although barring any injuries I personally think Trayvonn and Baxter will both redshirt.

I agree with your projected starting lineup, but Saul will have more reasonable options than before.

1. Zastrow showed flashes of brilliance last year, but he still needs to get stronger and more consistent. Lundberg is not a true point guard, but I'm hearing that he has been showing some good things in workouts. Coleman could play some PG if needed. He can bring the ball up the floor and get the team into an offense and he can defend a PG. The real excitement could come from the guys we haven't seen, yet. Marcus Williams could be a viable option by December. He is an exciting athlete, and he was a higher rated basketball prospect by MinnesotaPreps.com than Aaberg or Felt in the class of 2009. Taylor Baxter could possibly redshirt, but he is a 6'5" athlete who loves to distribute the ball.

2. Freddy will be a leader on this team and bring a level of athleticism that we need. Mike Felt is a pure shooter. Lundberg is serviceable. Taylor Braun, Mike Tveidt, Taylor Baxter could all play this spot.

3. Mike Tveidt is one of the top players in the Summit League. Taylor Braun may end up being the best player among last year's recruiting class. He is very versatile and he's added some needed strength. Trayvonn Wright could redshirt, but he is a dynamic athlete who will eventually be a 3. Baxter could play 1,2, or even 3.

4. Eric Carlson is a great competitor and the returning starter. Mike Tveidt has played this spot. Marshall Bjorklund could be a starter before the season is over. This may be Trayvonn's best position for now. Aaberg could play here.

5. Jordan Aaberg is the returning starter. He hasn't even approached his potential, yet. Andy Nagel has remade his body over the past two years. He is tough, physical, and will be a very good player before he is done. Bjorklund could play here.

I am VERY excited to see this group develop!

lakesbison
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Zastrow
Coleman
Carlson
Tveidt
Bjorklund

Felt, Braun, Aaberg, Nagle, Wright off the bench.

ndsubison1
05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree with your projected starting lineup, but Saul will have more reasonable options than before.

1. Zastrow showed flashes of brilliance last year, but he still needs to get stronger and more consistent. Lundberg is not a true point guard, but I'm hearing that he has been showing some good things in workouts. Coleman could play some PG if needed. He can bring the ball up the floor and get the team into an offense and he can defend a PG. The real excitement could come from the guys we haven't seen, yet. Marcus Williams could be a viable option by December. He is an exciting athlete, and he was a higher rated basketball prospect by MinnesotaPreps.com than Aaberg or Felt in the class of 2009. Taylor Baxter could possibly redshirt, but he is a 6'5" athlete who loves to distribute the ball.

2. Freddy will be a leader on this team and bring a level of athleticism that we need. Mike Felt is a pure shooter. Lundberg is serviceable. Taylor Braun, Mike Tveidt, Taylor Baxter could all play this spot.

3. Mike Tveidt is one of the top players in the Summit League. Taylor Braun may end up being the best player among last year's recruiting class. He is very versatile and he's added some needed strength. Trayvonn Wright could redshirt, but he is a dynamic athlete who will eventually be a 3. Baxter could play 1,2, or even 3.

4. Eric Carlson is a great competitor and the returning starter. Mike Tveidt has played this spot. Marshall Bjorklund could be a starter before the season is over. This may be Trayvonn's best position for now. Aaberg could play here.

5. Jordan Aaberg is the returning starter. He hasn't even approached his potential, yet. Andy Nagel has remade his body over the past two years. He is tough, physical, and will be a very good player before he is done. Bjorklund could play here.

I am VERY excited to see this group develop!

A lot more options next year compared to last. We should be improved and lets hope all of the players improved individually as well. We are more athletic which I think was the top priority this offseason. I think we have the potential to finish as high as 3rd. Just depends on how much our players improved.

Mr. Burgundy
05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Freddy holds the key to this car. if he is 100%, his position flex, his leadership, athleticism, strenght....he is the guy we need to be a stud. Nobody works harder or has a better attitude. I hope he explodes, he deserves it.

Kermit
05-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Freddy holds the key to this car. if he is 100%, his position flex, his leadership, athleticism, strenght....he is the guy we need to be a stud. Nobody works harder or has a better attitude. I hope he explodes, he deserves it.

Totally agree. This is definitely the seniors' team. Tveidt and Coleman are the unquestioned leaders.

I can't read "holds the key to this car" without thinking of the story of Tim Miles recruiting Ben Woodside. :)

tcbison
05-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Totally agree. This is definitely the seniors' team. Tveidt and Coleman are the unquestioned leaders.

I can't read "holds the key to this car" without thinking of the story of Tim Miles recruiting Ben Woodside. :)

Good point Kermit. I love that story of Miles and Woody.

Herd
05-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Not my starters per sa, but I like the big lineup of . . .

Zastrow/Coleman
Tveidt
Carlson
Bjroklund
Aaberg

With this lineup, we would be strong inside defensively, and have lots of guys that can score at the rim. Is Aaberg going to develop his scoring ability? Last year he played the first five minutes of the game and faded to the bench. We need him to step up. Bjorklund will have a much bigger offensive upside right off the bat than Aaberg if last year is the measuring stick. You will like what you see in Bjorklund, but both need minutes.

I would prefer the see Carlson at the 3, as many minutes as he can play . . . spelled by Tveidt playing 2-3. I'd rather see the 4-5 rotation as Aaberg, Nagel, Bjorklund, Wright, assuming Wright plays this year.

DjKyRo
05-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Would it be insane to foresee a day where we could call Taylor Baxter "a poor man's Evan Turner?"

lakesbison
05-20-2010, 11:36 PM
the most exciting lineup would be

1- marcus williams
2- freddy coleman
3- tviedt
4- trayvonn wright
5- marshall bjorklund.

that would be the most athletic team EVER put on the court in NDSU history!

Herd
05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
the most exciting lineup would be

1- marcus williams
2- freddy coleman
3- tviedt
4- trayvonn wright
5- marshall bjorklund.

that would be the most athletic team EVER put on the court in NDSU history!

You've got Williams playing basketball, football, baseball, t&F . . . should I assume wrestling too? I've got the guy playing football, and that's it. We'll see if he makes it to the basketball court or not, but I'm not counting on it. It would be cool, but you need to be lights out in the classroom too, and make sure that's a priority.

ndsubison1
05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Not my starters per sa, but I like the big lineup of . . .

Zastrow/Coleman
Tveidt
Carlson
Bjroklund
Aaberg

With this lineup, we would be strong inside defensively, and have lots of guys that can score at the rim. Is Aaberg going to develop his scoring ability? Last year he played the first five minutes of the game and faded to the bench. We need him to step up. Bjorklund will have a much bigger offensive upside right off the bat than Aaberg if last year is the measuring stick. You will like what you see in Bjorklund, but both need minutes.

I would prefer the see Carlson at the 3, as many minutes as he can play . . . spelled by Tveidt playing 2-3. I'd rather see the 4-5 rotation as Aaberg, Nagel, Bjorklund, Wright, assuming Wright plays this year.

Carlson needs to develop a jump shot first before even considering the 3

Mr. Burgundy
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
You've got Williams playing basketball, football, baseball, t&F . . . should I assume wrestling too? I've got the guy playing football, and that's it. We'll see if he makes it to the basketball court or not, but I'm not counting on it. It would be cool, but you need to be lights out in the classroom too, and make sure that's a priority.

He will be playing both sports.

lakesbison
05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Debbie DOUBTER..WOW. how bout have some faith ....... Herd, ill talk to marcus and have him come mow your lawn too, geez.

da kid is legit, sit back and enjoy.

Kermit
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Marcus Williams could be a key player THIS season. He started for a great Hopkins team in 2008-09 that included Royce White (Minnesota), Mike Broghammer (Notre Dame), Trent Lockett (Arizona State), and Raymond Cowells (Santa Clara). Despite being surrounded by stars and finishing ninth on his team in scoring, he was sometimes referred to as the "best athlete on the team" and was lauded for his playmaking skills and on-ball defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=55997&season=2009

February, 2009: Williams was very impressive the way he ran the very talented Hopkins team (Nike Super 6 Invitational). He pushes the ball with great pace on makes or misses and makes great decisions with the ball. He did a great job of driving, drawing and kicking to open teammates. He penetrated and uses his strength to get to the rim as well. Williams handled and passed the ball while playing with great energy. He set the tone on defense with his ball pressure. Williams is a terrific athlete with quick hands and great lateral foot speed. He is the oil for the engine for Hopkins.

I love this quote (http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?p=156903&highlight=Marcus+Williams#post156903), because it is from a UNI fan on their board. :)

Marcus Williams is fast and a big time athlete, also plays guard for their basketball team and drew interest from UNI. Scout.com says he runs a 4.4 40 and I'd believe it, he's blazing fast. Not particularly quick side to side if I remember right, but boy he can really fly. I'm surprised he's considered a DB recruit because (again I could be remembering wrong) he didn't seem particularly quick in his back peddle, but he's more of a long strider and burner. Not sure how great of a route runner he is, but as far as an athlete goes, he's the real deal.

NDSUFan_Sav
05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Carlson needs to develop a jump shot first before even considering the 3

I agree...I think he has a jump shot somewhat, but is inconsistent with it. Giving him lack of confidence and thats why he likes to rely on that drive towards the basket. If he can become more consistent from 12-15 ft out he'll have defenders hating to guard him because of the shot and the chance to take him to the rim.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/18/1955409/morris-twins-and-rest-of-ku-players.html

I'm not sure what players do this or how much time they put into it. I'm sure Woodside and that crew put time in. Kansas's Morris Twins are putting in ridiculous amount of time. As most know I'm a big Kansas fan and that's fine most on here were going for UNI, but after that loss for Kansas these guys could of easily just shut down and lost interest, but this team is EXTREMELY dedicated in getting better. I know the two guys put a lot of time in last near but not as much and I noticed a huge difference from the year before, because I was very disappointed in Marcus. I would really like to see the NDSU team doing this and putting in the time. I'm not saying they don't already I just don't know personally what they put in and if they already do, that's what I like to hear.

lakesbison
05-21-2010, 06:23 PM
who will take AP's place though?

ndsubison1
05-21-2010, 09:56 PM

On the offensive side anybody can take his place. But on the defensive side that's what I'm worried about. We might be a little weak guarding the perimeter and the other teams best guards. As of right now we dont have a shut down defender especially on the perimeter like we had with AP. Hopefully our guards step up. Now that I think of it Coleman could possibly be that guy. I guess we'll see.

TheBisonator
05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Zastrow had some turnover-itis late last year. Maybe he has small hands?? I hope he can get some ball control practice this summer.

I can't wait to see Coleman and Felt back.

I want to see Bjorklund and Wright playing as soon as possible.

That is all.

unbison
05-22-2010, 04:15 AM
come on anthony peeler played for mizzou

Tatanka
05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
come on anthony peeler played for mizzou

++

I tutored him in Math once. Checkbook math. As in adding and subtracting.

Great ball player. Had to have the ACT read to him. :smh:

Herd
05-22-2010, 02:08 PM
If Williams is on the basketball roster, that will be his role (the AP role). I watched Williams play live in the tourney a year ago. He was a great athletete and defensive stopper, but he did not have a DI offensive game at that time IMO. These things develop however, so I'll sit back and enjoy.:D

westnodak93bison
05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
imho, it doesnt look like next season will be defined by starters since there will probably be a fairly deep team fighting for playing time.

Twentysix
05-23-2010, 04:52 AM
So this may be premature considering we don't have that fourth schollie resolved, but who're everyone's picks for starters next year? The cool thing is we return two top scorers in Tveidt and Carlson, two semi-starters in Zastrow and Aaberg, and two injured key reserves in Coleman and Felt (both with starting experience, if only a slight amount).

Personally it's gotta be (to me:)

1 - Coleman/Zastrow
2 - Coleman/Felt
3 - Tveidt
4- Carlson
5- Aaberg

Gotta love the depth we gain with recruiting this year, we'll have I think ten total players that are underclassmen which is going to be huge in the years to come. Freddy will start at one guard spot or the other (I've listed the alternate where appropriate). Additionally, Braun, Bjorklund, and Nagel should provide big minutes off the bench and Lundberg will be a good reserve at the point. Any random, way-too-early predictions or insight?

Hey, I'm bored.

Braun could be a starter by the end of the year or even the begining. He showed alot of potential.

Kermit
05-23-2010, 05:55 AM
If Williams is on the basketball roster, that will be his role (the AP role). I watched Williams play live in the tourney a year ago. He was a great athletete and defensive stopper, but he did not have a DI offensive game at that time IMO. These things develop however, so I'll sit back and enjoy.:D

If by "the AP role" you mean the responsibility for defending the opponent's best guard, I think that will fall on Freddy Coleman.

There are similarities and differences between Austin Pennick and Marcus Williams. Both are very athletic, but AP is much bigger and Williams is much faster. Marcus might be overmatched against some of the bigger shooting guards that AP could defend, but Marcus would matchup better with an ultra-quick PG like Johnathan Jones than anyone who has worn a Bison uniform in a long time. Williams' shooting is below average, but he can handle and distribute the ball much better than AP.

lakesbison
05-23-2010, 01:53 PM
IT WAS USING SARCASM! AP was a D3 player, he was like slick being thrown out there.

to compare M WILL to AP is a slap in the face to M WILL.

unbison
05-24-2010, 09:52 AM
His job was to distribute the ball on that team........ if he plays for the bison next year he will be the 4th sr. from that team you watched to be playing divison 1............royce white being the 5th sr that has not played D1 yet so I really wouldnt be to quick to judge his offensive game

Mr. Burgundy
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
The few times I have seen him play recently, his offensive game looked pretty solid. He is so fast it is nuts. He can get anywhere he wants on the court and he is all anyone wants on defense (which makes me want him to be a total stud at cornerback as well). But, his offense looks solid. I saw him make a pull up 3 pointer, and he is very solid in the uptempo game. He really looks to keep his teammates involved. There is no doubt he can be a difference maker at the Summit League level.

Kermit
05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
The few times I have seen him play recently, his offensive game looked pretty solid. He is so fast it is nuts. He can get anywhere he wants on the court and he is all anyone wants on defense (which makes me want him to be a total stud at cornerback as well). But, his offense looks solid. I saw him make a pull up 3 pointer, and he is very solid in the uptempo game. He really looks to keep his teammates involved. There is no doubt he can be a difference maker at the Summit League level.

I agree with almost all of this. I do think that Marcus' shooting is a relative weakness compared to most guards at this level--but that doesn't mean he won't help a team's offense. Quite the contrary. He is very good in transition. In the half-court game, he can make other players better by getting the team into the offense, penetrating the paint, and distributing the ball. He was the engine that made that great Hopkins team go.

BisonManager26
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think he will have much of a problem scoring. Although his shooting may not be superb. He was on back to back state championship teams. One of them which averaged 90 something points a game (2008-09). I bet the coaches will work with him hard on his shooting before the season. This kid knows how to win (career record of 61-2) and i'm willing to bet he will help the NDSU bball program get better over the next 4 years. :nod:

SlickVic
05-24-2010, 04:45 PM
so that big marcus fool is for sure going to hoop? chea

DjKyRo
05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
, he was like slick being thrown out there.

What are you saying? I thought Slick didn't do defense which was undoubtedly AP's forte.

westnodak93bison
05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Is is a stretch to expect Marcus to contribute significantly in both FB and BB?

lakesbison
05-25-2010, 03:55 AM
I guarantee M WILL can contribute in both sports IF THE COACHES LET HIM!!!