PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown Area??????

Bison"FANatic"
05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Well the wife informed me that she wants to head out to the Youngstown game this fall and visit some friends in the area at the same time. We are looking at flying either into Cleveland or Pittsburgh. We have never been to either one and they are both roughly the same distance from her friends place. We going out a few days early to take in the area we are leaning toward Cleveland right now so we can possibly hit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the NFL Hall of fame.

So any of you guys that have been out to these two areas have any suggestions on sites and other things to do? Definitely doesn't have to be the major tourist things either. Pros cons of Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh.

Thanks in advance

tjbison
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
The Pittsburg airport sits 60 miles from Youngstown and is out of the Metro so Traffic is not bad at all, if you are flying into Pitt to sight see you will have to travel quite a few miles out of the way to hit downtown Pitt.

Only advantage to Pitt would be time saved on driving and its easy to navigate

Thunder_Struck
05-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Canton is not far away.

roadwarrior
05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Last time I went to the game there, I flew into Cleveland. This year I plan on flying into Pittsburgh. The only sightseeing I did was tailgating and the game!

bisonaudit
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
The botanical garden in Cleveland is very good if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.cbgarden.org/Visit/default.aspx?id=3300

If you're a WWII buff, there's a submarine down on the waterfront, can probably walk there from the R'n'R FoH.

http://usscod.org/aerialview.html

It's been a few years but resturant on the barge behind it in the photo was decent from what I remember.

Haven't spent as much time in Pittsburgh, just in and out for baseball or hockey, but the "incline" is supposed to be a thing. On the food front: Quaker Steak & Lube and Primanti Brothers will give you some local flavor. Though honestly, I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in that town. Even the college bar's like Mario's South Side Saloon have great pub grub.

bisonaudit
05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
This is a little out of the way even if you choose Pittsburgh, but if you're into architecture it may be worth the trip.

http://fallingwater.org/

Hammersmith
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
This is a little out of the way even if you choose Pittsburgh, but if you're into architecture it may be worth the trip.

The wonderful bisonaudit and the lovely mrs bisonaudit took me there on the way to the YSU game two years ago(thanks again). Very recommended if you can find the time. Forget Versailles*, ignore Buckingham, screw the Summer Palace; Fallingwater is the most beautiful house ever built.

*teaching French today

Bison"FANatic"
05-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys

Bisonguy
05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
If you like roller coasters, go check out Cedar Point. It's only about an hour from the armpit of Ohio (aka Cleveland).

OrygunBison
05-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Fallingwater is Mecca for any self respecting architect. Simply perfection.

HandoEX
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
If you like roller coasters, go check out Cedar Point. It's only about an hour from the armpit of Ohio (aka Cleveland).

^This. Cedar Point is amazing. It makes the Six Flags parks I've been to (Chicago, LA, Dallas) look like the dinosaur playland at West Acres.

Go to youtube and check out Top Thrill Dragster :nod:

IndyBison
05-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Fallingwater is Mecca for any self respecting architect. Simply perfection.

I did architecture school with you and I can attest there is no such thing as a self-respecting architect. JAFA!

letsgoguins
05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
We'd be happy to give you guys some information on the Youngstown Area for our contest in October.

Airports:
Cleveland- Furthest Drive - 90 minutes
Akron/Canton- Nice Smaller Airport with lowest fares - 75 minutes
Pittsburgh- Beautiful Airport with little traffic - 75 minutes
Youngstown- Only airline is Allegiant, which you guys got, but does not fly to Fargo. We have it to Orlando and Myrtle Beach.

Local Hotels
There is a beautiful new Hampton Inn and Suites in Canfield, OH, about a 15-17 minute drive to Stambaugh. A Holiday Inn in Boardman, OH that is about a 10-12 minute drive to Stambaugh. There is a newer Hampton Inn and Suites in Liberty, OH, only about 8-10 minutes from Stambaugh, but there is not much to do on that side of town. If you want to go shopping or golf or whatever, stick with Canfield or Boardman, OH. There are a ton more hotels in the area too, but none right near campus.

Restaurants
The MVR and Charlie Staples BBQ right on campus are both fabulous. Tons of great restaurants around the area too. Let me know what you guys like to eat. The big chains, Friday's, Chili's, Applebee's, etc. are all out in Boardman and Canfield.

Bison bison
05-13-2010, 03:44 PM
The wonderful bisonaudit and the lovely mrs bisonaudit took me there on the way to the YSU game two years ago(thanks again). Very recommended if you can find the time. Forget Versailles*, ignore Buckingham, screw the Summer Palace; Fallingwater is the most beautiful house ever built.

*teaching French today

ORLY

tjbison
05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
We'd be happy to give you guys some information on the Youngstown Area for our contest in October.

Airports:
Cleveland- Furthest Drive - 90 minutes
Akron/Canton- Nice Smaller Airport with lowest fares - 75 minutes
Pittsburgh- Beautiful Airport with little traffic - 75 minutes
Youngstown- Only airline is Allegiant, which you guys got, but does not fly to Fargo. We have it to Orlando and Myrtle Beach.

Local Hotels
There is a beautiful new Hampton Inn and Suites in Canfield, OH, about a 15-17 minute drive to Stambaugh. A Holiday Inn in Boardman, OH that is about a 10-12 minute drive to Stambaugh. There is a newer Hampton Inn and Suites in Liberty, OH, only about 8-10 minutes from Stambaugh, but there is not much to do on that side of town. If you want to go shopping or golf or whatever, stick with Canfield or Boardman, OH. There are a ton more hotels in the area too, but none right near campus.

Restaurants
The MVR and Charlie Staples BBQ right on campus are both fabulous. Tons of great restaurants around the area too. Let me know what you guys like to eat. The big chains, Friday's, Chili's, Applebee's, etc. are all out in Boardman and Canfield.

Welcome you must be the first YSU fan to post on here!!

roadwarrior
05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
There was a great Italian restaurant near downtown Youngstown which we ate at last time. On a narrow street way off the beaten path. Maybe letsgoguins can give us the name.

letsgoguins
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
There was a great Italian restaurant near downtown Youngstown which we ate at last time. On a narrow street way off the beaten path. Maybe letsgoguins can give us the name.

That restaurant is The MVR, it was Tressel's favorite place to eat. They have a dish, Tressel Tortellini, named after him there, which is fabulous.

Here is some birds eye imagery of Stambaugh Stadium. You can drag it around and tour the campus. Search Cassese MVR to find that restaurant. It is on the SE part of the campus on Walnut Street.

Enjoy.

LINK: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qvjfqq88c77s&scene=24530201&lvl=1&sty=b

And also, please join our YSU fan community to talk with Penguin Fans: LetsGoGuins.com (http://letsgoguins.com)

Hammerhead
05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
We are trying to decide if it's feasible to see this game and then drive to N.J. for the Vikings-Jets game on Monday night.
If we go, we'll most likely try to visit the pro football and Rock & Roll halls of fame during the days before the games.

letsgoguins
05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I urge you guys to check out a local high school football game before you head back to Fargo. The night before at Stambaugh, either Youngstown Cardinal-Mooney or Youngstown Ursuline will be playing a high school football game. Each school won a state championship last season here in Ohio. I definitely recommend you check one of these two schools out. Mooney is hosting Cleveland Benedictine while Ursuline is hosting Columbus St. Charles. One of the two will play at YSU.

The Stoops, Pelinis, etc. all graduated from Mooney. YSU Head Coach Eric Wolford, ESPN's Paul McGuire, Penn State's Daryll Clark, etc. all graduated from Ursuline.

HS football is huge here in Youngstown.

sambini
05-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I urge you guys to check out a local high school football game before you head back to Fargo. The night before at Stambaugh, either Youngstown Cardinal-Mooney or Youngstown Ursuline will be playing a high school football game. Each school won a state championship last season here in Ohio. I definitely recommend you check one of these two schools out. Mooney is hosting Cleveland Benedictine while Ursuline is hosting Columbus St. Charles. One of the two will play at YSU.

The Stoops, Pelinis, etc. all graduated from Mooney. YSU Head Coach Eric Wolford, ESPN's Paul McGuire, Penn State's Daryll Clark, etc. all graduated from Ursuline.

HS football is huge here in Youngstown. Thank you for the info. Looking forward to the trip this year.

IndyBison
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM

HS football is huge here in Youngstown.

HS football is huge in Ohio period. Indiana is trying like heck to get to that level but we are stuck with the "stigma" of a basketball state. Cincinnati has some great teams as well and the Indy area schools compete pretty well with them. They just have many more good teams.

letsgoguins
05-17-2010, 01:57 AM
HS football is huge in Ohio period. Indiana is trying like heck to get to that level but we are stuck with the "stigma" of a basketball state. Cincinnati has some great teams as well and the Indy area schools compete pretty well with them. They just have many more good teams.

Haha well how do you think I view Indiana.... YSU plays in a league with Butler and Valpo in basketball and a league with Indiana State in football.

Of course Indiana is a basketball state and far from a football state lol.

Bison"FANatic"
07-15-2010, 03:31 PM
We decided to fly into Cleveland so I have been keeping up on the ticket prices to there. Just to let you all know they dropped them again this week to $308 if anyone was thinking about going.

bisonaudit
07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
We decided to fly into Cleveland so I have been keeping up on the ticket prices to there. Just to let you all know they dropped them again this week to $308 if anyone was thinking about going.

Does bing.com issue a buy/wait recommendation for that route?

Bison"FANatic"
07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Does bing.com issue a buy/wait recommendation for that route?

They don't do a price predictor for that route. He!! for all I know it will be 200 next week.