PDA

View Full Version : Rud is a DUD!

lakesbison
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
My god, i just got back from open forum, this guy is horrible..,,he said 'id like collabortive competition with area colleges' ie-- und. this was the biggest used salesman ive listened to ...,and i know blowhard salesmen!!! 0% chance he gets my vote, however the SBOHE might wanna stick it to ndsu. be aware people!!

ps..his wife was ____

Herd80
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
You may be a bit harsh, and not surprisingly over-the-top in your analysis (including whatever your point is regarding his wife)

While I wouldn't vote for him either, he didn't say anything different than the other candidates when asked the (same) question about working with other schools. Every single one speaks of collaboration. It's pretty obvious that to do otherwise would be suicide in a presidential hiring process. Ruud was the only one (so far) who broke it down in terms of competition/collaboration. That he has had anything to do with UND has clouded your vision, despite the fact that he's a real longshot in the first place because of that issue.

DjKyRo
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Isn't is "Ruud?"

lakesbison
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
well, I'd like to hear if him or any other candidates have had meetings with the athletics dept and that feedback. Getcha popcorn ready for those answers! ha ha.

Castor Troy
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Isn't is "Ruud?"

If Lakes said that "Ruud is a Dude!" it would certainly change the message, which would depend on your definition of "dude" since there are many.

SDbison
05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see the SBOHE pick Ruud. They seem so anxious to stick it to NDSU.

siouxdgj
05-04-2010, 08:19 PM
My god, i just got back from open forum, this guy is horrible..,,he said 'id like collabortive competition with area colleges' ie-- und. this was the biggest used salesman ive listened to ...,and i know blowhard salesmen!!! 0% chance he gets my vote, however the SBOHE might wanna stick it to ndsu. be aware people!!

ps..his wife was ____

Your hatred for UND never ceases to amaze me. Your credibility regarding anything relating to UND is absolutely zilch, knowing how you feel about the school. And I fail to see what his wife has to do with any of this. You seemingly have no problem whatsoever in slandering or libeling anyone with whom you take issue with. Oh, well, vent on...and on...and on.

roadwarrior
05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I just watched the video of Ruud's presentation. The ONLY reason this thread was started is because of where he went to school. Based on the three candidate videos so far, he is definitely going to be on the list of three that goes to the board. I didn't hear a single thing in his presentation that would indicate that if he was hired it would be the board "sticking it" to NDSU.

SDbison
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I just watched the video of Ruud's presentation. The ONLY reason this thread was started is because of where he went to school. Based on the three candidate videos so far, he is definitely going to be on the list of three that goes to the board. I didn't hear a single thing in his presentation that would indicate that if he was hired it would be the board "sticking it" to NDSU.
People in power love a guy that is a yes man (someonie they can own, especially after Chapman). I believe if this guy went to UND its enough to question where his alliances might be. Call it how you want, but you are no more of an "expert" than me or anyone else here. Just knowing how UND gets its way in ND makes me not want to see this guy get the nod as NDSU's next president. Just my opinion.

BigBison
05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
:banghead: Theres NO WAY NDSU should have a UND graduate for President.

G-city Bison Fan
05-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Just watching the speech right now and the first question is, who the hell put his power point slides together, cause if it was him, holy shit it's bad.

Alright the more I think about this the more pissed off I get. Seriously, who thought this presentation would suffice for a job interview at a major university? I mean WTF, there are 3rd graders out there right now that could do far better. This is a joke, if you can't take this a bit more seriously you should be thrown out the door. And I certainly don't give a damn if you don't know how to use powerpoint very well, if you wanna be a University President at someplace other than BumF'ck U than you either better hire someone, or you better learn.

That presentation was so bad it would be like me walking in to my next job application with a cover letter done in crayons. pathetic.

tjbison
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
although I'm not going to bash him, his wife, or his credentials I agree with earlier posted statement about having a rival in-state university grad as the Pres. The reactions would be vice-versa if the scenario unfolded up north.

I'm a huge fan for "new Blood" and in this case someone not as familiar with the university so he/she can incorporate their own style of management

G-city Bison Fan
05-05-2010, 12:46 AM
I agree with previous statement. I think it is a terrible idea to have a UND grad as a president, however, the more I think about it, if he was a NDSU grad, I might have a few of the same misgivings. I don't want some North Dakota boy, I don't want a local guy, and honestly it is the same reason that I don't care if we play UND in athletics. I like the idea of gaining more of a national presence and getting outside input, and outside knowledge.

You see this same sorta thing happen in small towns, kids grow up go to valley city state or minot state or wherever, get their teaching degree or whatever, and then move back to the same small town they grew up in, and over and over and over again, it's not a good thing, it's like inbreeding.

BisoninNWMN
05-05-2010, 01:41 AM
although I'm not going to bash him, his wife, or his credentials I agree with earlier posted statement about having a rival in-state university grad as the Pres. The reactions would be vice-versa if the scenario unfolded up north.

I'm a huge fan for "new Blood" and in this case someone not as familiar with the university so he/she can incorporate their own style of management

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!!

Good Call

KilldeerBison
05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree with previous statement. I think it is a terrible idea to have a UND grad as a president, however, the more I think about it, if he was a NDSU grad, I might have a few of the same misgivings. I don't want some North Dakota boy, I don't want a local guy, and honestly it is the same reason that I don't care if we play UND in athletics. I like the idea of gaining more of a national presence and getting outside input, and outside knowledge.

You see this same sorta thing happen in small towns, kids grow up go to valley city state or minot state or wherever, get their teaching degree or whatever, and then move back to the same small town they grew up in, and over and over and over again, it's not a good thing, it's like inbreeding.

I know a guy that did exactly this, he started a company that employes 500 in SW ND. It's not always a bad thing. I think someone like him would be a great candidate. I'd take someone from ND, no problem.

G-city Bison Fan
05-05-2010, 02:11 AM
I know a guy that did exactly this, he started a company that employes 500 in SW ND. It's not always a bad thing. I think someone like him would be a great candidate. I'd take someone from ND, no problem.

Alright, I may have been getting a little worked up, there are some fine examples of this working. But there are way more examples of this not working. Just because something seems fantastic in SW ND doesn't mean that it could compete anywhere else in the world. There is way too much settling for mediocrity in ND because "its the way its always been".

The only way for NDSU/ND/pretty much anything to grow and evolve is to constantly bring in new and progressive ideas. But we all know that new and progressive ideas are not what the ND population, and especially the SBoHE is about.

lakesbison
05-05-2010, 02:50 AM
G city ... thanks for putting my thread and thoughts into your own words. NDSU needs to get away, be THE LEADER, and VISIONARY of FARGO!

the presentation was like someone trying to sell me a pyramid scheme, the slide show was embarassing, he talked like a used car salesman.. its an absolute JOKE that the SBOHE demanded that he be the 4th finalist.

siouxDl or whoever you are, its not hatred, its called seeing through all the BS and political backstabbing and immature jealousy that some on the SBOHE have.

ps- I feel much better tonight after I heard that this guy has 0% chance based on how his meetings with some admin went. so hopefully this is mute.

KilldeerBison
05-05-2010, 04:05 AM
Alright, I may have been getting a little worked up, there are some fine examples of this working. But there are way more examples of this not working. Just because something seems fantastic in SW ND doesn't mean that it could compete anywhere else in the world. There is way too much settling for mediocrity in ND because "its the way its always been".

The only way for NDSU/ND/pretty much anything to grow and evolve is to constantly bring in new and progressive ideas. But we all know that new and progressive ideas are not what the ND population, and especially the SBoHE is about.

Not to harp on this but, this company does compete in the rest of the world and wins. They do contract manufacturing (very competitive),their main customer is Boeing. They use a very progressive business strategy (lean manufacturing). That said, I also think I know what you are trying to say. By the way, I don't like Rud either.

NDSUstudent
05-05-2010, 04:18 AM
I think it is fine and good to bring somebody that is from ND, but we shouldn't bring in a person from ND for the sake of having a president that is a North Dakotan.

While I am not a big Ruud supporter(Miller is my pick), one of the things that I like about him is that he left the state, gained valuable experience in doing so, and now wants to come back.

lakesbison
05-05-2010, 04:50 AM
"ship" back to "ship"pensburg & D2.

G-city Bison Fan
05-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Not to harp on this but, this company does compete in the rest of the world and wins. They do contract manufacturing (very competitive),their main customer is Boeing. They use a very progressive business strategy (lean manufacturing). That said, I also think I know what you are trying to say. By the way, I don't like Rud either.

Killdeer, I am with ya. I started my career volunteering at Aldevron in Fargo. North Dakota born and bred.

I don't want a North Dakotan just because he is from North Dakota, and I don't want an outsider just because they are an outsider. I want the best guy, and in this case I feel like the best guy is not Ruud (for numerous reasons).

I was hinting at a little something deeper though, in the sense that there are a lot of very sheltered people in North Dakota that don't really pay attention to things outside of the borders, and that mentality (which is very stereotypically rural ND) isn't something that I would want in a President.

On a bit of a tangent this is always one of those things growing up that I wondered about. I was fairly intelligent in grade school in Turtle Lake, ND, and H.S. in Carrington, ND, and then College at NDSU, but what did that all mean? How does the best in Turtle Lake ND or Carrington, or NDSU stack up against the best elsewhere?

DORMIE
05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
The size of your hometown has nothing to do with your success. Maybe those who come from smaller towns have more success as they probably had to work harder to get there. Over the past few years I've noticed that many of our Alumni Awards winners have come from small towns. John Klai, who comes from Osnabrock, has the largest architecture firm in Las Vegas and built most of the buildings on the strip. He also gave $1,500,000.00 to help finils off Klai Hall. Personally, I grew up in Fargo. I don't have a dog in the fight.

SDbison
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
The size of your hometown has nothing to do with your success. Maybe those who come from smaller towns have more success as they probably had to work harder to get there. Over the past few years I've noticed that many of our Alumni Awards winners have come from small towns. John Klai, who comes from Osnabrock, has the largest architecture firm in Las Vegas and built most of the buildings on the strip. He also gave $1,500,000.00 to help finils off Klai Hall. Personally, I grew up in Fargo. I don't have a dog in the fight.
I agree that some people from small towns have a greater desire to succeed and may have gained more experience growing up in a rural area or small town. The biggest issue I see in SD and ND is often the guys who do OK in their careers (mid level management) tend to hire and promote their buddies from small towns and in-state. This tends to reduce the input of others who have worked outside the state and have other valuable experience. Just because someone is from a small town doesn't automatically make them a better contributor to a companies success.

VanClubPres
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM

I am not backing him with this statement.

There are people that went to either school that do not care about rivalries or the tradition. They just go there because it was the best school in their field.

But me personally, I agree with bigBison. It would seem blasphemous. And we already have a UND backer as interim.

G-city Bison Fan
05-06-2010, 02:29 AM

I agree with your statement in principle, but in reality, the numbers don't add up. There are so many people born in small towns, that stay in small towns that don't have a clue as to what is going on outside of a 20 mile radius. I am in Chicago right now and seeing what opportunities these suburban high school kids have compared to what I had, those high schools in ND are a joke. The teachers are poor and the opportunities severely lacking. There are a few success stories, but let's be real, the majority don't have a clue as to what the "real" world holds.

Bison bison
05-06-2010, 02:44 AM
And there aren't crappy schools in big cities? And there aren't people who live in big cities who have never been outside of it? Gimme a break.

I've seen as much of this country as pretty much anybody and I learned early on that your life is what you make of it. I've also learned that people who think they are the most worldly are usually full of themselves, not enlightenment.

I wouldn't trade growing up in North Dakota for many things and I know my children will feel the same way.

lakesbison
05-06-2010, 03:21 AM
no one is debating that you "cant make it" in north dakota or be one of us, or whatever.

some of us are saying that he shouldn't just be a "local angle candidate"

it doesnt matter after what I heard today, he is zero chance.

G-city Bison Fan
05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
And there aren't crappy schools in big cities? And there aren't people who live in big cities who have never been outside of it? Gimme a break.

I've seen as much of this country as pretty much anybody and I learned early on that your life is what you make of it. I've also learned that people who think they are the most worldly are usually full of themselves, not enlightenment.

I wouldn't trade growing up in North Dakota for many things and I know my children will feel the same way.

Oh I know there are, and I know that amazingly enough you can live in NYC or Chicago and still be "sheltered". I wouldn't trade growing up in ND for anything either, it made me who I am and I am pretty happy with it. I took advantage of the opportunities and education that I had, and that led to a lot of great things.

However, don't kid yourself if you believe that your kids have any more than an average education with average opportunities. There are a lot of places that are worse off, but there are a lot of places that have it a lot better. I feel like a lot of people in ND have a sort of Napoleon complex about education, opportunities, jobs and such...

Bison bison
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
However, don't kid yourself if you believe that your kids have any more than an average education with average opportunities.

Wow.

WYOBISONMAN
05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Oh I know there are, and I know that amazingly enough you can live in NYC or Chicago and still be "sheltered". I wouldn't trade growing up in ND for anything either, it made me who I am and I am pretty happy with it. I took advantage of the opportunities and education that I had, and that led to a lot of great things.

However, don't kid yourself if you believe that your kids have any more than an average education with average opportunities. There are a lot of places that are worse off, but there are a lot of places that have it a lot better. I feel like a lot of people in ND have a sort of Napoleon complex about education, opportunities, jobs and such...

Actually, I am not sure I would find fault with this. I do know that Wyomingites always brags about the quality of the schools here. The schools are decent, but nothing I would term "above average". I think lots of places have "decent" schools.

Surprisingly, the best public schools my kids attended were in the maligned Deep South! While living in Greenville, SC my kids attended a magnet school that in addition to elementary education emphasized foreign languages. That school was truely outstanding and was one of several in that District which were great schools.

There just are not a lot of outstanding schools.

Bison bison
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
My thought is to be wary of gimmicks.

We were home visiting my grandparents when my then three-year old started counting in Spanish. They thought it was the most amazing thing ever and that she must go to an amazing preschool.

She's an amazing kid and goes to an amazing preschool (like a thousand other kids in the metro). Her being able to count to 20 in Spanish, didn't make the Top 50 list of neat things she could do at the time.

IMO

Facilities - overrated
Technology - overrated
Special programs - overrated

Give me people whose passion is teaching and they will do wonders. They could teach in a musty basement with chalk and slate and their students would learn and grow to be able to do amazing things.

I've personally had enough of overspending on educational gimmicks in this country. The Fargo district has a budget of $117 million for next year to educate about 10,000 kids. That's 11 grand per kid. I'm sorry, but that is completely ridiculous.

TheBisonator
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Actually, I am not sure I would find fault with this. I do know that Wyomingites always brags about the quality of the schools here. The schools are decent, but nothing I would term "above average". I think lots of places have "decent" schools.

Surprisingly, the best public schools my kids attended were in the maligned Deep South! While living in Greenville, SC my kids attended a magnet school that in addition to elementary education emphasized foreign languages. That school was truely outstanding and was one of several in that District which were great schools.

There just are not a lot of outstanding schools.

About the deep South schools, WYO, I think a lot of that is due to the teaching culture down there. Teachers there tend to be more hands-on and closer to their students (to some extent) than say, Midwestern teachers. I could rattle off from my mind about a half dozen teachers I had throughout grade school (in both Fargo and MPLS) who were very cold and unapproachable people.

(end thread hijack)

tony
05-06-2010, 02:02 PM
In defense of both people who haven't spent much time out of North Dakota as well as UND grads: Are there people here who wouldn't have hired Tom Clifford to be NDSU's President if he applied?

An aside about schools: It's too bad that more elementary schools don't teach a foreign language (it doesn't matter what language) just because if you learn a second language young, it makes learning other languages later in life much easier.

02Bison
05-07-2010, 01:22 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can take their irrational hatred of UND too far. Don't let it cloud you from objective judgment. The fact he went to UND is irrelevant in the big picture. I don't care if someone is president of ABC community college and they are applying for the Presidency...if they demonstrate/exhibit the best leadership quailities to those who are choosing the next President, they should be hired.

NDSUstudent
02-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Ruud is UNI's president....

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Regents-Select-William-Ruud-as-UNI-president--190260911.html

NDSU1980
02-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Ruud is UNI's president....

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Regents-Select-William-Ruud-as-UNI-president--190260911.htmlAnd as a und grad, the first two things he's going to do is call a press conference and announce that UNI will no longer schedule NDSU (much to the relief of the athletic dept.) and secondly, work will start on teh new hockey rink at the expense of football.

I think the board made the right decision hiring Bresciani. I would never trust a und guy running our show.

Bison bison
02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
That's great news.

I think that he is a very good fit.

dragonsfan
02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
what did his wife do (the OP said something about his wife)

aces1180
02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
And as a und grad, the first two things he's going to do is call a press conference and announce that UNI will no longer schedule NDSU (much to the relief of the athletic dept.) and secondly, work will start on teh new hockey rink at the expense of football.

I think the board made the right decision hiring Bresciani. I would never trust a und guy running our show.

Someone on SS.com thinks he will block NDSU from joining the MVC...:facepalm2:

Tatanka
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Someone on SS.com thinks

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Soy_Sauce92/imma_let_you_finish20.jpg

aces, you're a great guy and imma let you finish, but I have to go ahead and call bullshit.

aces1180
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz111/Soy_Sauce92/imma_let_you_finish20.jpg

aces, you're a great guy and imma let you finish, but I have to go ahead and call bullshit.

Have you ever read the crap they post at SS.com? He wrote it and probably believes it!

DjKyRo
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Have you ever read the crap they post at SS.com? He wrote it and probably believes it!

Carefully re-read the quoted portion o your post in Tatanka's response. :)

aces1180
02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Carefully re-read the quoted portion o your post in Tatanka's response. :)

Jesus...Totally missed that part. I think was distracted by the asshat that is KW.