PDA

View Full Version : Championship Banners in the Fargodome

AKBison
04-27-2010, 05:43 AM
I am piggy backing this thread off an idea I got from the Lousiana Tech fan message board, bulldogs barks and bytes. For more information on that and the success that group has had with raising money please check out this thread.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19718

What I am proposing is that Bisonville raise the money to get 8 prominent national Championship Banners hung up in the dome. We have a damn proud football history and if you were attending your first game or were visiting from out of town, you would never know it. This has been a bone of contention for many of the Bison faithful and I say it is time to do something about it. First off, I need someone who is associated with the Teammakers leadership to propose this idea and then take it up with ADGT. Gene and the athletic department can design the banners however they want and hang them how they want. What we need from them is an official design and a place to donate the money to. Once the athletic department gets back to us we can start using the connections on Bisonville to get something done. Maybe someone knows a Bison alumnist in the business or perhaps is in the business themselves. My guess is the Fargodome doesn't want those monster hanging out all year long which is why we are stuck with the crap we have now. Perhaps somebody on here is a contractor and can put together a system to easily lower these banners for gameday.

What we need to start this process is a point man who knows Teammakers and the athletic department personal. The key is that the AD understands that we are not trying to undermine them, but rather help fund some small projects that we as fans would like to see get done. I have no idea how much this will cost, but this is a great way to get stuff done. If you don't believe me, check out the latech thread. I will be happy to keep track of pledges on here so either pm them to me or just list them here. Once we get a design and firm cost for these banners, we can start sending our pledges to teammaker or some other NDSU entity.

Mods, if one of the "names" on this board jumps in and agrees to relay this information will you sticky this at at the top of the page?

Lets get this done for the 2010 season. We can do this! For the strength of the Herd is the Bison And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

I'm in for $100

VanClubPres
04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
The boss and I are in as well. 100-200

tjbison
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I have $300:

$100 for the banners
$100 for new turf
$100 for beer sales yeah I said it no reason I can't enjoy a beer during the game

Twentysix
04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Im down for 50, if i get a new job before the offical donations start i may up it too 100.

Twentysix
04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
They should put Donated by Bisonville in green on the bottom of the banners :)

AKBison
04-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Sambini, Dormie, Roadwarrior....Any takers on being the point man on this?

TheBisonator
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I will donate 100 bucks in June. I am recieving a graduation gift of an undisclosed amount of money, but that won't be for another month or so.

So put me down for a Ben.

99Bison
04-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Mods, if one of the "names" on this board jumps in and agrees to relay this information will you sticky this at at the top of the page?

I'll relay it. Jumping in :howdy:

roadwarrior
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Sambini, Dormie, Roadwarrior....Any takers on being the point man on this?

Here is my suggestion: Put together your plan and your reasons for doing so and send Gene an email. A link is provided on gobison. I think you should have a game plan and see if that game plan can be accomplished before passing the hat.

SDSUAlum08
04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
You have 8 championships right? (I'm not 100% familiar)

Just an idea here: Why don't you do 1 banner for all 8 of the championships? It is from DII and I understand you have a storied history, but it would decrease the cost and give you the opportunity for future endeavors. (Like green padding around the Fargo dome, etc.) I think this is a great idea for fans as long as there is no overstepping into the athletic department. You guys/gals could really get some things done that fans would enjoy!

DORMIE
04-28-2010, 01:13 AM
There are some football banners hanging in the DOME at this time. The volleyball alums are trying to get their conference championship and participation banners hung back up in the BBF. Seems Troy thinks that it's only DII. He seems to be unable to realize who got us to DI. As for the cash, I'm on social security.

AKBison
04-28-2010, 01:16 AM
I'll relay it. Jumping in :howdy:

Your the man then. I sent Gene a preliminary e-mail outlining what the general plan is. I will let you know what his response is on the matter. E-mails and phone calls are one thing, but being able to have somebody go see him in person takes it up a whole level. 99Bison I will pm you once I hear back from Gene. I am in Alaska or I would be happy to visit the AD myself.

AKBison
04-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Here is my suggestion: Put together your plan and your reasons for doing so and send Gene an email. A link is provided on gobison. I think you should have a game plan and see if that game plan can be accomplished before passing the hat.

Hopefully Gene will get back to me on the e-mail I sent. Since I am kind of using Latechbbb as a springboard for this, I suggest we follow their model. Basically, the forum members come up with an idea or follow up on one the AD has, the AD does the legwork, takes care of bids etc. Once a plan has been put together it is presented to the board. The board then begins a pledge drive and once they reach a their predetermined goal, the pledges are called in and the money is sent to their athletic foundation who disperses it to the athletic department. The money never touches a board members hands.

It is a cool way to raise money as they call each other out and challenge each other to match donations. Some of them will place bets on a golf game with the loser contributing to the pledge drive. It is a great way for people on here to put their money where there mouth is. Rebel Rousers on the board are able to buy their way back into good graces by pledging x amount of dollars. (Lakes comes to mind :) )

As for the Volleyball team, if they need banners maybe we can combine this into one a shot deal.

roadwarrior
04-28-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't see a banner at the softball field saying they made the NCAA sweet sixteen last year.....

99Bison
04-28-2010, 01:34 AM
All sounds good, I agree that the approach is the key to all this.

roadwarrior
04-28-2010, 01:36 AM
If I remember correctly, Phil Hansen paid for the football championship banners that are currently in the Fargodome.

onbison09
04-28-2010, 02:02 AM
All sounds good, I agree that the approach is the key to all this.

Honey's better than vinegar for sure. Not that anyone's pissed but patience is key here.

Mr. Burgundy
04-28-2010, 02:05 AM
I don't see a banner at the softball field saying they made the NCAA sweet sixteen last year.....

Road, are you saying our Marketing Department could use some improvement?

tjbison
04-28-2010, 02:08 AM
You have 8 championships right? (I'm not 100% familiar)

Just an idea here: Why don't you do 1 banner for all 8 of the championships? It is from DII and I understand you have a storied history, but it would decrease the cost and give you the opportunity for future endeavors. (Like green padding around the Fargo dome, etc.) I think this is a great idea for fans as long as there is no overstepping into the athletic department. You guys/gals could really get some things done that fans would enjoy!

Because 8 individual looks MUCH better than 1! We have the money support and this Idea AK has is great, I firmly believe we can accomplish alot of goals with smaller donations thru a site like this. But I also agree with Road in sending a email or contacting Gene to see the feasability in them listening to their most avid and genuine fans!*

*not saying any fan who does not post here is any less than we:hide: ;)

roadwarrior
04-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Road, are you saying our Marketing Department could use some improvement?

I'm saying the basketball team and the volleyball team have banners with their NCAA tournaments. Softball does not and they had the most success.

Twentysix
04-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I'm saying the basketball team and the volleyball team have banners with their NCAA tournaments. Softball does not and they had the most success.

Agree 100% softball needs a banner.

Amused
04-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Isn't this what UNI is ridiculed for, non-championship banners? :hide:

HerdBot
04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
I am piggy backing this thread off an idea I got from the Lousiana Tech fan message board, bulldogs barks and bytes. For more information on that and the success that group has had with raising money please check out this thread.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19718

What I am proposing is that Bisonville raise the money to get 8 prominent national Championship Banners hung up in the dome. We have a damn proud football history and if you were attending your first game or were visiting from out of town, you would never know it. This has been a bone of contention for many of the Bison faithful and I say it is time to do something about it. First off, I need someone who is associated with the Teammakers leadership to propose this idea and then take it up with ADGT. Gene and the athletic department can design the banners however they want and hang them how they want. What we need from them is an official design and a place to donate the money to. Once the athletic department gets back to us we can start using the connections on Bisonville to get something done. Maybe someone knows a Bison alumnist in the business or perhaps is in the business themselves. My guess is the Fargodome doesn't want those monster hanging out all year long which is why we are stuck with the crap we have now. Perhaps somebody on here is a contractor and can put together a system to easily lower these banners for gameday.

What we need to start this process is a point man who knows Teammakers and the athletic department personal. The key is that the AD understands that we are not trying to undermine them, but rather help fund some small projects that we as fans would like to see get done. I have no idea how much this will cost, but this is a great way to get stuff done. If you don't believe me, check out the latech thread. I will be happy to keep track of pledges on here so either pm them to me or just list them here. Once we get a design and firm cost for these banners, we can start sending our pledges to teammaker or some other NDSU entity.

Lets get this done for the 2010 season. We can do this! For the strength of the Herd is the Bison And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

I'm in for $100

How about a lit up green and yellow sign that shows the 8 National Championships? We could do one inside and another outside... We have banners the pro lem is the are not visible. Its like a little secret.

stevdock
04-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Isn't this what UNI is ridiculed for, non-championship banners? :hide:

I don't see anything wrong with celebrating conference championship, as that is the first goal of a team. Once the conference championship is won then you start going after bigger things.

UNI is more being ridiculed for not having one National Championship with all those conference championships.

Since all of our sports are basically on an uneven playing field (except football) with the bigger schools, it's going to be really tough to get National Championships so we do need to celebrate every championship we get.

HerdBot
04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
How about a lit up green and yellow sign that shows the 8 National Championships? We could do one inside and another outside... We have banners the pro lem is the are not visible. Its like a little secret.

How about a sideline mural that incorporates the 8 Championships with cool graphics?

Twentysix
04-28-2010, 07:28 PM
That would be cool.

A1pigskin
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Good idea. Anything to promote the bison and heritage.

CHADSTAUS
04-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Sign me up. The Staus family is in.
:bow:

4mcruenomore
04-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Somehow this thread started out good, then got stupid. It's FOOTBALL, so the softball team did something, congratulations. They don't play in the dome, that's what this thread was about IMHO. Softball doesn't draw 19,000 people.

DjKyRo
04-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Somehow this thread started out good, then got stupid. It's FOOTBALL, so the softball team did something, congratulations. They don't play in the dome, that's what this thread was about IMHO. Softball doesn't draw 19,000 people.

This sort of attitude is precisely what the Siouxage fans do with hockey. If you don't recognize how huge of an accomplishment the softball team's Sweet 16 appearance was as a national event (albeit in a sport not as prevalent as football) you're severely short-changing the work the girls did last year. Please don't act like Sioux fans, please please please.

tjbison
04-29-2010, 02:33 AM
This sort of attitude is precisely what the Siouxage fans do with hockey. If you don't recognize how huge of an accomplishment the softball team's Sweet 16 appearance was as a national event (albeit in a sport not as prevalent as football) you're severely short-changing the work the girls did last year. Please don't act like Sioux fans, please please please.

True, but I'll put my donation to start with for the 8 NC banners first, then move to other sports;) 4M is right the forum was originally for FB:hide:

Twentysix
04-29-2010, 02:59 AM
True, but I'll put my donation to start with for the 8 NC banners first, then move to other sports;) 4M is right the forum was originally for FB:hide:

Agree with this aswell. Im down for a banner in softball, but footballs banners need to be redone before I fund anything else.

HerdBot
04-29-2010, 05:27 AM

Don't forget the entire point of the thread was to pick out 1 or 2 football wants and fund them. Clearly, the softball accomplishment is huge but it has nothing to do with the main point. Rememberr, it but if we focus on everything we'll focus on nothing.

DjKyRo
04-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Don't forget the entire point of the thread was to pick out 1 or 2 football wants and fund them. Clearly, the softball accomplishment is huge but it has nothing to do with the main point. Rememberr, it but if we focus on everything we'll focus on nothing.

Most definitely, and I'm not saying softball has anywhere near the recognition football does and that it ranks more highly on any sort of priority list - I know which sport I prefer (football and basketall), but it's the attitude of dismissal that is reminiscent of Sioux fans that I don't like.

Tatanka
04-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Most definitely, and I'm not saying softball has anywhere near the recognition football does and that it ranks more highly on any sort of priority list - I know which sport I prefer (football and basketall), but it's the attitude of dismissal that is reminiscent of Sioux fans that I don't like.

KyRo is right.

Twentysix
04-30-2010, 05:42 AM
+++++++++++++++++++ kyro gets the rep not you :P

VanClubPres
04-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know how big the ones in the dome are now, or how big they should be

onbison09
04-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know how big the ones in the dome are now, or how big they should be

Well they're way too small.
This is courtesy of the Bisonville Department of the Obvious.

AKBison
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that we are moving forward on this with the athletic department and have a meeting set up with Gene Taylor, Pat Simmers and Troy Goergen. Right now, it is 99 Bison and myself leading the charge with the approval of our dear leader the Angry Elf. If anyone else is interested in leadership on this project and future ones, send one of us a pm.

roadwarrior
04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Great job in getting this going, AK!

MOTBison
04-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Great job in getting this going, AK!

Yes, Great Job indeed!! I hope this will happen.

VanClubPres
05-01-2010, 01:18 AM
roughly .45 cents a square inch for sewn double sided banners

56BISON73
05-01-2010, 01:44 AM

$1080.00 for a 10x20 banner.

Question is what do you do with the ones already donated?

BlueBisonRock
05-01-2010, 01:58 AM

They could be hung and be more visible in the east entry.

AKBison
05-01-2010, 02:20 AM

Hang em in the new IPF...

4mcruenomore
05-01-2010, 04:59 AM
We are going for 1 large banner?

Twentysix
05-01-2010, 05:35 AM
So how much are we looking for per person? 1000$ isnt much, 10 bucks each 100 donators?

BlueBisonRock
05-01-2010, 05:55 AM
So how much are we looking for per person? 1000$ isnt much, 10 bucks each 100 donators?

I believe we are going for eight banners, each of which will be at least this size. Right now, lets let AK work his magic with 99 and then be ready to put some money where our respective mouths are.

* OMG, an opening as big as a 4 lane highway for Tatanka / UNDTH and the size of a cowpath for TAB! I can see Notorious and Kermit chomping at the bit to complete their 15 minutes also.

Bisonguy
05-01-2010, 06:00 AM
How many banners are currently hanging up there in the rafters?

IIRC the current banners are 4x6 feet. For a reference, the video boards are 17x23 feet, so individual 10x20's would probably be about right.

The_Herd
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM

$0.45 sq-in x (12in*12in=144sq-in/sq-ft)= $64.80 sq-ft

10ftx20ft= 200sq-ft x $64.80= $12,960

westnodak93bison
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
IMHO the Bison need to win an FCS championship before putting up a bunch of DII banners.

onbison09
05-01-2010, 06:54 PM
IMHO the Bison need to win an FCS championship before putting up a bunch of DII banners.

They already have DII banners, they're just too small.

VanClubPres
05-03-2010, 07:20 PM

A slight change.

.0175 cents per square inch at the place I am in contact with. That is a single side banner. The problem with the printer I spoke with is they have a maximum width of 50". They can print up to 1000 feet, but only 50" inches wide. So to get 8 or ten feet there would have to be some sewing, and price goes up.

Math guys can check this, but roughly 504 dollars per side per poster or 8064 for the total job.

GradBison
05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
A slight change.

.0175 cents per square inch at the place I am in contact with. That is a single side banner. The problem with the printer I spoke with is they have a maximum width of 50". They can print up to 1000 feet, but only 50" inches wide. So to get 8 or ten feet there would have to be some sewing, and price goes up.

Math guys can check this, but roughly 504 dollars per side per poster or 8064 for the total job.

LOL slightly better than $10k a banner!

TheBisonator
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
A slight change.

A big banner with all years on a single one would probably have to be 25-30 feet wide, minimum. Maybe 50 feet tall. This would still be well below 10 grand, and would maybe only need several big donors and a few more smaller ones.

Another idea I'm throwing out there: How much to make the thing from scratch, that is, buy the material itself and do all the sewing on a volunteer basis?? Maybe make it a project for some textiles or visual arts students??

roadwarrior
05-04-2010, 02:16 AM
A big banner with all years on a single one would probably have to be 25-30 feet wide, minimum. Maybe 50 feet tall.

I guess nobody would miss that banner, including the punters.

(the height of the Fargodome roof is 125 feet)

DjKyRo
05-04-2010, 02:23 AM

A 5-story banner would be pretty comically awesome. Think Macy's parade float.

SUBISON247
05-04-2010, 05:09 AM

You have to have faith. I'm sure our punters could find a way.

TheBisonator
05-04-2010, 12:54 PM

LOL, I just realized that now!!:p OK, maybe 8-10 feet tall??

56BISON73
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
You have to have faith. I'm sure our punters could find a way.

That would mean they would actually have to make a punt over 40 yards. I am betting on the ceiling.

roadwarrior
05-05-2010, 02:09 AM
I was told that the softball field is getting a sign to honor the 2009 Bison softball team making the NCAA Sweet 16. It will be installed before the Summit tournament next weekend.

Gully
05-05-2010, 02:46 AM

Road, I just read this and almost started crying, I was laughing so hard.

A1pigskin
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Good initiative here starting from sheet "0" to now.

HerdBot
05-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Any updates on this?

sambini
05-16-2010, 06:23 AM
I was told that the softball field is getting a sign to honor the 2009 Bison softball team making the NCAA Sweet 16. It will be installed before the Summit tournament next weekend.
Saw it on the sports on WDAY.

duluthbison
07-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Bump...

Any News?