PDA

View Full Version : Early Freshman

OrygunBison
04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I was up in Seattle last weekend and went to the Washington Huskies FB practice at Husky Stadium. It was pretty cool. Lots of action, Sark and Co. really know how to keep these kids moving, hustling from drill to drill then scrimmaging for about an hour with refs and lots of media. There were probably 3-4,000 people in attendance. Very impressive. I could write a book about what I witnessed, it was that cool. Sark really has them jazzed up there.

I had a question, though. There are 4 (I think, maybe it was 6) true freshman in spring ball that have just started school. Each of them worked to finish HS early so that they could enroll in UW classes and participate in spring practice prior to their freshman season. Two of them are super stud RB's - huge, fast, and very athletic - who will probably not redshirt. Another was Joe Montana's kid at QB. He will likely redshirt unless Locker goes down.

Is this common? Maybe I have just not been paying attention.

56BISON73
04-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I was up in Seattle last weekend and went to the Washington Huskies FB practice at Husky Stadium. It was pretty cool. Lots of action, Sark and Co. really know how to keep these kids moving, hustling from drill to drill then scrimmaging for about an hour with refs and lots of media. There were probably 3-4,000 people in attendance. Very impressive. I could write a book about what I witnessed, it was that cool. Sark really has them jazzed up there.

I had a question, though. There are 4 (I think, maybe it was 6) true freshman in spring ball that have just started school. Each of them worked to finish HS early so that they could enroll in UW classes and participate in spring practice prior to their freshman season. Two of them are super stud RB's - huge, fast, and very athletic - who will probably not redshirt. Another was Joe Montana's kid at QB. He will likely redshirt unless Locker goes down.

Its has started to become a trend.

ndsubison1
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM

There are recruits that do this every year. Most don't, but some do

HandoEX
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Matt Barkley did this at USC last year and obviously it helped him land the starting job as a true frosh. It is becoming pretty common for big time schools and a great advantage for blue chippers.