PDA

View Full Version : Summit Tourney

Hammersmith
04-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Women finish sixth of ten. Amy misses the individual title by one stroke. Amy also had the lowest round of the tourney(73) but also had her highest round of the year(81). ORU takes the league title and SDSU comes in second.

MN_BISON
04-21-2010, 02:27 AM
A couple of quick questions since I know nothing about NCAA golf and how it works. First, I'm guessing there is a national tournament, any chance Amy gets to go since she finished second in the league tournament or is it a team event? Second, does the NCAA have a ranking system of individual golfers and if so, where does Amy rank? Third, is there any chance NDSU could ever host the league tournament? Just think what Amy would do if it were played on her home course. Of course weather in ND this time of year is hit or miss at best, so that might be out of the question.

Hammersmith
04-21-2010, 03:47 AM
A couple of quick questions since I know nothing about NCAA golf and how it works. First, I'm guessing there is a national tournament, any chance Amy gets to go since she finished second in the league tournament or is it a team event? Second, does the NCAA have a ranking system of individual golfers and if so, where does Amy rank? Third, is there any chance NDSU could ever host the league tournament? Just think what Amy would do if it were played on her home course. Of course weather in ND this time of year is hit or miss at best, so that might be out of the question.

It's a team-based tourney, so ORU gets the Summit autobid. There are a large number of at-large bids for teams, but NDSU is way down on that list. Currently, the NDSU women are ranked 195 of about 240. It's too bad because Amy is ranked at 34th overall. The men are ranked 239 of about 285.

I think the golf tourneys fall under the new Summit rules that allow the winner the choice to host the following tourney. If that's the case, it will be at ORU for a long time(they've won 13 straight).

roper1313
04-21-2010, 03:56 PM
isn't there an individual portion of the tourney? You would think that an individual would be able to qualify based on their performance alone, not the performance of the team.

Hammersmith
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
isn't there an individual portion of the tourney? You would think that an individual would be able to qualify based on their performance alone, not the performance of the team.

There's an individual portion for the national tourney, but you have to participate in the regionals to qualify for it.

Here's the setup:

72 teams are selected and compete in 3 regionals. I think there are around 20 autobids and 50 at-larges. The top 8 teams from each regional, plus two individuals from each regional not on those teams, will compete in the national tourney.

lakesbison
04-21-2010, 04:08 PM
so Amy will never be able to make it to nationals unless she is medalist at the summit? that seems rough, she misses that by 1 stroke and now she has no shot at regionals or nationals? harsh.

Greenie
04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I would think that Amy Anderson has a decent chance to get an at-large spot in the regional

Hammersmith
04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
My bad. In addition to the 24 teams in each regional, there are also 3 individuals selected. Amy would have to get one of those 3 spots(9 total among all three regions). She would then need to be one of the 2 best individuals not on the 8 top teams from the regional. It's an uphill battle, but possible if she gets selected for the regional. We will know Monday afternoon at 4:00.

Here's a revised breakdown: (taken from the DI Women's Golf Championship Manual (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/golf/2010/10_1_w_golf.pdf) - page 10 of the manual )

Total selections for regionals: 378 participants; 72 total teams; 25 autobid teams; 47 at-large teams; either 9 or 18 individual at-large selections*

*the manual says 9, but 378 - (72*5) = 18; don't know which it is

Each regional is allocated 24 teams + 3 individuals(maybe 6?)

Each regional sends the 8 low teams and the 2 low individuals not on those teams to the finals

MN_BISON
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
From Kolpack's Twitter:

Bison freshman Amy Anderson selected as an at-large entrant to NCAA West Regional women's golf tournament.

Congrats Amy!