PDA

View Full Version : So why is McNorton the starting feature back?

bisonfan11
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Okay so I read in the Forum that D.J. McNorton, not Matt Voightlander is currently the starting half back for the Bison. My question is why? The only game that McNorton played well in during his career was the game against Wagner College last year. Other than that McNorton has been brutal. Matt Voightlander for his career averages near 10 yards per carry versus 3.5 yards per carry for McNorton. Yes, there is good depth at the running back position, but starting the wrong back will stall the offense and impact the passing game as well. I absolutely hate how Bohl plays favorites for some players. Bohl did it for Mertens last year and now will do it for McNorton this year even though Voightlander and Sigers are right now better options to start than McNorton.

lakesbison
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
DJ is da BOMB, he has moves and is fast, VOIT is a great change of pace runningback. So it looks like he is more successful at times, but talent wise, catching the ball out of the backfield, blocking, and shiftiness.. DJ is hands down the best RB we have.

Ojuri will be the new DJ in a year or 2.

SIGERS will be the VOIT in a year or 2 (and probably is already there!)

quit bitching and enjoy DJ.

DjKyRo
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Absolutely disagree. Watch a practice or two and you'll see DJ is getting better, and I disagree that he was "brutal" last year. Voigt is coming off of offseason surgery - do you want to put him at 25 carries per practice with a bad shoulder?

If Bohl played favorites Mertens would've started all 11 games and Mohler would be the starter now. Come off it.

JacksFan06
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Okay so I read in the Forum that D.J. McNorton, not Matt Voightlander is currently the starting half back for the Bison. My question is why? The only game that McNorton played well in during his career was the game against Wagner College last year. Other than that McNorton has been brutal. Matt Voightlander for his career averages near 10 yards per carry versus 3.5 yards per carry for McNorton. Yes, there is good depth at the running back position, but starting the wrong back will stall the offense and impact the passing game as well. I absolutely hate how Bohl plays favorites for some players. Bohl did it for Mertens last year and now will do it for McNorton this year even though Voightlander and Sigers are right now better options to start than McNorton.

Not to mention this nugget:

Running back D.J. McNorton is currently not practicing for academic reasons. Head coach Craig Bohl said there is no reason to sound an alarm, but McNorton needs to shore some things up and, as Bohl said, "academics come first."

TheBisonator
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Not to mention this nugget:

Hey, at least crappy grades is a step up from manufacturing weed and jacking plasma screens...

bisonfan11
04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Keep in mind that for the season McNorton should average around 5 yards per carry to be considered a good running back in the college game. I don't believe that McNorton has yet averaged even 4 yards per carry for a season. And McNorton's lone start last year against South Dakota State McNorton had 17 carries for 57 yards and a 3.4 yards per carry average. It sounds like McNorton is doing well this spring, but Mike Sigers is doing even better. And what will Bohl do when Voightlander is healthy?? I mean Voightlander has been the real big play back when healthy. And even when Voightlander was healthy last year he didn't play until the Wagner game. Seems to me that for some reason or another Bohl won't give Voightlander a chance even when Voightlander is healthy.

DjKyRo
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Keep in mind that for the season McNorton should average around 5 yards per carry to be considered a good running back in the college game. I don't believe that McNorton has yet averaged even 4 yards per carry for a season. And McNorton's lone start last year against South Dakota State McNorton had 17 carries for 57 yards and a 3.4 yards per carry average. It sounds like McNorton is doing well this spring, but Mike Sigers is doing even better. And what will Bohl do when Voightlander is healthy?? I mean Voightlander has been the real big play back when healthy. And even when Voightlander was healthy last year he didn't play until the Wagner game. Seems to me that for some reason or another Bohl won't give Voightlander a chance even when Voightlander is healthy.

He was also a backup RB and an underclassman. What do you expect?

bisonfan11
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
He was also a backup RB and an underclassman. What do you expect?

I just hope that if McNorton gets the nod that he can do very well. I guess we didn't know how good Tyler Rohel would do in replacing Kyle Steffes. We all knew that Paschall would do fine as he did quite well in place of Rohel when Rohel was hurt. I just hope that Bohl will be flexable in changing starters in the feature back position if for whatever reason McNorton can't get it done, and either Voightlander or Sigers can.

Kermit
04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
McNorton looked very good in the first scrimmage. I wasn't surprised at all that he was named #1 on the depth chart. It was really a no brainer with Voigtlander unable to participate in full contact this spring, Ojuri needing more experience, and Sigers being..well, really small!

That said, I'm upset to read this morning that DJ is being held out of practice for academic reasons. It is his sixth semester on campus. Why now?

westnodak93bison
04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
DJ is da BOMB, he has moves and is fast, VOIT is a great change of pace runningback. So it looks like he is more successful at times, but talent wise, catching the ball out of the backfield, blocking, and shiftiness.. DJ is hands down the best RB we have.

IMHO, Voigt looks faster than DJ.

56BISON73
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
One of the things that I have never understood is they will send a kid in to a game. He will rip off 10-15 yards and you never see him again. Whats up with that?

runtheoption
04-19-2010, 06:07 PM
One of the things that I have never understood is they will send a kid in to a game. He will rip off 10-15 yards and you never see him again. Whats up with that?

That same thing confused myself and everyone around me in the stands last fall, in regards to Voigt (I think that is who you are referring to).

Grizzled
04-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Both are very good and very versitile backs. They can both line up almost anywhere on the field.

I have to disagree with lakes though. Voit is a much better blocker, hands are equal from everything I've seen. DJ may be a little faster but Voit doesn't spend time dancing around. He's a lot like Steffes was where you aren't going to see Voit get tackled for loss.

And as far as looking more impressive its cause last year he was. I don't know a player on our team who did more last year as few opportunities as Voit did. Honestly it seemed like everytime he touched the ball good things happened.

That being said DJ has proven he is the ultimate team player and he has improved so much since he's been here. I love the fact we have both of them and look for solid seasons from them both. The competition only makes the two of them better.

56BISON73
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
That same thing confused myself and everyone around me in the stands last fall, in regards to Voigt (I think that is who you are referring to).

And the full back from 2 years ago. Every touch he did something. But he wouldnt get many touches.

HandoEX
04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
In April 2012, we'll be having the same conversation with two other RB's brought in the same class.

EndZoneQB
04-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Didn't Bohl's dad outwardly say he thought that Voigt should be getting more playing time? I think he line was something like "all i know is he should be getting that voigtlander more touches, hes special" or something like that.

tcbison
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I am all for whoever gets the job done. Voit has been getting the job done with very few touches the last couple of years. It would be nice to see what he could do with more carries. It is likely that his yards/carry would come down but at this point how do you know when he doesn't get a chance? McNorton needs to improve his yards/carry period. I don't carry what level of football you are talking 3.5 yards/carry is very poor. It was Bohl's dad who said something like #23 need to play more. I am not against McNorton at all. I hope he will go out there and can be like Paschall or Roehl especially if he is the #1 RB.

OldBison
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I just hope that if McNorton gets the nod that he can do very well. I guess we didn't know how good Tyler Rohel would do in replacing Kyle Steffes. We all knew that Paschall would do fine as he did quite well in place of Rohel when Rohel was hurt. I just hope that Bohl will be flexable in changing starters in the feature back position if for whatever reason McNorton can't get it done, and either Voightlander or Sigers can.

Roehl. Roehl. Roehl. It's not that hard to spell. Really. :bow:

OldBison
04-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Both are very good and very versitile backs. They can both line up almost anywhere on the field.

I have to disagree with lakes though. Voit is a much better blocker, hands are equal from everything I've seen. DJ may be a little faster but Voit doesn't spend time dancing around. He's a lot like Steffes was where you aren't going to see Voit get tackled for loss.

And as far as looking more impressive its cause last year he was. I don't know a player on our team who did more last year as few opportunities as Voit did. Honestly it seemed like everytime he touched the ball good things happened.

That being said DJ has proven he is the ultimate team player and he has improved so much since he's been here. I love the fact we have both of them and look for solid seasons from them both. The competition only makes the two of them better.

I agree with everything you said. Reps to you.

And for those thinking DJ was an underclassman, (as in what do you expect?) remember this, Voitlander and DJ were in the same 2007 recruiting class. At this point in their career Matt has been much more impressive and productive than DJ.

ndsubison1
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM

I completely disagree. McNorton is our best back right now. Granted I've only seen the team play/practice once this spring he looks the best. He's been hitting the holes hard and looks like an improved back. it also doesn't help that Voit has been held out of practices and Sigers isn't your typical every down back.

Herd80
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I am all for whoever gets the job done. Voit has been getting the job done with very few touches the last couple of years. It would be nice to see what he could do with more carries. It is likely that his yards/carry would come down but at this point how do you know when he doesn't get a chance? McNorton needs to improve his yards/carry period. I don't carry what level of football you are talking 3.5 yards/carry is very poor. It was Bohl's dad who said something like #23 need to play more. I am not against McNorton at all. I hope he will go out there and can be like Paschall or Roehl especially if he is the #1 RB.

Nothing against DJ, he's a good back. However, if you like productivity you have to love Voigt. The guy flat-out produces and we're lucky to have him on the team.

rutlandbison
04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Here's my view. DJ looks like he can be the guy, we haven't seen that yet. I hope it works out for him but I am comfortable that we have the guys to take over if DJ can't take that next step. I really hope he does because he is one shifty guy and looks pretty fast. If he could just put it all together we have one pretty tough running game. Also I hope Voigt just keeps doing waht he's doin. It's a good problem we have with running back guys/gals.

ndsubison1
04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I think one thing we can agree on is that this is a great "problem" to have.

56BISON73
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I completely disagree. McNorton is our best back right now. Granted I've only seen the team play/practice once this spring he looks the best. He's been hitting the holes hard and looks like an improved back. it also doesn't help that Voit has been held out of practices and Sigers isn't your typical every down back.

I think many are hoping DJ will be the guy for whatever reason. I look at the games played last year and Voit looked much better and just gets it done when hes on the field.. With all the hype on DJ Iam somewhat disapponited in his play.

BisoninNWMN
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM

lakes what are you on?? DJ a better blocker than Voigt.....NO WAY

I haven't seen anyone of the practices so I just have to go by what is said on here and what I saw last year.

Voigt hits the hole hard and fast and is a lot more physical than DJ. It is great to have such depth on the team and hopefully the coaches utulize all of them to keep the defenses off balance.

With the west coast offense pounding the ball at times, Voight probably can handle the physical punishment more than DJ.

Use them all and get back to kicking ass running the ball.....:D :D :D :D

BisoninNWMN
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I think many are hoping DJ will be the guy for whatever reason. I look at the games played last year and Voit looked much better and just gets it done when hes on the field.. With all the hype on DJ Iam somewhat disapponited in his play.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This also.

I'm not sold on DJ, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

BisonNolesFan77
04-19-2010, 11:25 PM
My question is...why does it matter? First off, its spring practice, lots of things can change between now and Kansas, and second, It's not like it is going to be only the #1 back getting carries. DJ, Voight, Ojuri, and Sigers are all going to get their touches...

Bisonfan1
04-20-2010, 12:00 AM
All I know is if the trend continues of leaving someone in the game that is having a really bad day I will scream all the way to THE RAIN FOREST after the game. For the love of god learn to sit someone down for awhile, everyone can have a bad day and come back next week for a record breaker. And no I am just not refering to the QB position.

bosco
04-20-2010, 01:01 AM
We rotate back often. Having the contrasting styles is a plus. We will have a good one / two punch. Maybe even a good one / two / three / four punch. I like our depth. We will need all four of them.

ndsubison1
04-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I have a feeling it's gonna be more of a running back by committee

Scooter1
04-20-2010, 02:12 AM
I like Voitlander. I like his play a lot. But, holy crap, did you guys even consider the situations when each back was used before annointing Voitlander as our top back? Here is what I found for last year.

Matt had some nice numbers 15 carries for 156 yards. let's look deeper....

1. He had 3 carries for 43 yards (one 35+ yarder for a TD) in the fourth quarter against Wagner (a shitty team, and a shitty team that had given up in the fourth) AT HOME

2. He had 3 carries for 48 yards in the latter stage of the Ill St game at home. A good performance, but it was against a sub par team (they beat us)

3. He had 5 carries for 46 yards against Indiana St (not exactly UNI)

4. So... that is 11 of his 15 carries for 137 of his 156 yards late in games against questionable defenses.

5. He had 1 carry for -3 yards against UNI

I'm not saying Matt is inferior to McNorton. My point is when you look at the situations where Voitlander got his shots, you have to admit his chance for success was pretty damn high. I wonder what Pat Paschall's numbers would have looked like if we had put him into those games 100% fresh against a tired defense. I'd venture to say that the endzone would have stopped Pats runs as often as the defense did.

On McNorton, the simple fact that the coaches moved this kid to play linebacker for a game (not just a "just in case move", but played him) speaks to just what an athlete this kid really is. I didn't see Voitlander moved to linebacker (food for thought). I just don't understand the eagerness to discount DJ. I would have thought he did more than enough to have people reserve judgement. Hell, he is only going to be a junior for cripe sake.

I seam to remember a guy who was averaging 1 TD for every eight touches. The starter averaged 1 TD every 16 touches. He averaged 7.2 yards per carry more than the starter yet didn't get the nod over him. Let's look deeper....the starter was the work horse of the team and eventually signed a contract to play in the NFL. (Steffes) Shamen isn't going to even sniff the NFL.

There you go.....this post was just like going to my sister's house with my whole family there; waiting for my sisters to sit down at the table then, grab my plate to go down with my brothers in the basement to watch TV, but, before i go... say "abortion" and listen to the fur fly from the safety of basement. Fun times, my friends...fun times.

56BISON73
04-20-2010, 02:23 AM
I like Voitlander. I like his play a lot. But, holy crap, did you guys even consider the situations when each back was used before annointing Voitlander as our top back? Here is what I found for last year.

Matt had some nice numbers 15 carries for 156 yards. let's look deeper....

1. He had 3 carries for 43 yards (one 35+ yarder for a TD) in the fourth quarter against Wagner (a shitty team, and a shitty team that had given up in the fourth) AT HOME

2. He had 3 carries for 48 yards in the latter stage of the Ill St game at home. A good performance, but it was against a sub par team (they beat us)

3. He had 5 carries for 46 yards against Indiana St (not exactly UNI)

4. So... that is 11 of his 15 carries for 137 of his 156 yards late in games against questionable defenses.

5. He had 1 carry for -3 yards against UNI

I'm not saying Matt is inferior to McNorton. My point is when you look at the situations where Voitlander got his shots, you have to admit his chance for success was pretty damn high. I wonder what Pat Paschall's numbers would have looked like if we had put him into those games 100% fresh against a tired defense. I'd venture to say that the endzone would have stopped Pats runs as often as the defense did.

On McNorton, the simple fact that the coaches moved this kid to play linebacker for a game (not just a "just in case move", but played him) speaks to just what an athlete this kid really is. I didn't see Voitlander moved to linebacker (food for thought). I just don't understand the eagerness to discount DJ. I would have thought he did more than enough to have people reserve judgement. Hell, he is only going to be a junior for cripe sake.

I seam to remember a guy who was averaging 1 TD for every eight touches. The starter averaged 1 TD every 16 touches. He averaged 7.2 yards per carry more than the starter yet didn't get the nod over him. Let's look deeper....the starter was the work horse of the team and eventually signed a contract to play in the NFL. (Steffes) Shamen isn't going to even sniff the NFL.

There you go.....this post was just like going to my sister's house with my whole family there waiting for my sisters to sit down at the table then grab my plate to go down with my brothers in the basement to watch TV, but, before i go... say "abortion" and listen to the fur fly from the safety of basement. Fun times, my friends...fun times.

I wasnt trying to anoint Voight as out top back. I just like his style of running much better than the chuck and jive that Ive seen out of DJ.

yippie
04-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Im just going to throw this out there, but did anyone think the reason voit may not get many carries is because the coaches don't believe he can take the pounding of being an every down back. I mean last year that stat showed he had what 15 touches at the RB position i must say if you want him as an every down back he will touch that per game. Maybe the truly don't believe his shoulder can take the beating to be an every down back which is fine. Use him as much as you can.

CaBisonFan
04-20-2010, 02:37 AM
PP didn't get much respect until his senior year. People, including myself, doubted his durability and strength. I saw him as a valuable back during the two 10-1 seasons...but not as the 'feature' back. I'm hoping that one of the 4 or 5 prospects will do the same.

Purple Jalepeno
04-20-2010, 03:15 AM
He turned into a stud didn't he?

NDSUFan_Sav
04-20-2010, 05:01 AM
Absolutely disagree. Watch a practice or two and you'll see DJ is getting better, and I disagree that he was "brutal" last year. Voigt is coming off of offseason surgery - do you want to put him at 25 carries per practice with a bad shoulder?

If Bohl played favorites Mertens would've started all 11 games and Mohler would be the starter now. Come off it.

agreed, people JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They aren't the damn coach and are NOT at practices so they don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I've made a majority of spring practices. Quit your damn whining on this and let the coaches decide who will play and why. DJ has looked impressive this spring, granted at times the D couldn't make tackles, but he's seem to been following his blockers.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-20-2010, 05:04 AM

have you ever asked yourself maybe there's a reason for it, maybe coaches see something in practice for this. Maybe if Voigtlander had majority of the carries he'd be doing the same as the other rbs, but he only gets so many carries and does well with them.

ndsubison1
04-20-2010, 06:22 AM
agreed, people JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They aren't the damn coach and are NOT at practices so they don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I've made a majority of spring practices. Quit your damn whining on this and let the coaches decide who will play and why. DJ has looked impressive this spring, granted at times the D couldn't make tackles, but he's seem to been following his blockers.

But Bisonville armchair QB's know best!

Grizzled
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM

In my best robot voice:

Sav is completely right.
Why would we ever have a football discussion on this board.
Our coaches know best.
No one else on this board has a clue as to whats going on.
No one can have an opinion on this board unless they are at every practice.
Spring practice is all that matters.
Last years performance during games means nothing.
Hail the Bison, Hail the Bison, Hail Coach Bohl. Hail Sav.

rutlandbison
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
But we have heard about good in practice befoer, even about DJ but it has never shown in the game. I hope he does good because he could be one hell of a player if he does do good. Voigt on the other hand has shown what he can do in games, not just in practice. I do hope DJ makes the most of this and turns into a very good RB. It's good to know thought that we have some good ones behind him too.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
But we have heard about good in practice befoer, even about DJ but it has never shown in the game. I hope he does good because he could be one hell of a player if he does do good. Voigt on the other hand has shown what he can do in games, not just in practice. I do hope DJ makes the most of this and turns into a very good RB. It's good to know thought that we have some good ones behind him too.

Well, from when I've seen he's looked good I also said the defense couldn't tackle at the time so its hard to tell how they really look. He has been following his blocks well though and I hope it follows him along to this season, but time will only tell. Will he get back to dancing around? will he hit the holes and follow blocks? will he be playing linebacker ;)? only time will tell and thanks Grizzled for your post, all i'm getting at is maybe the coaches see something different. I guarantee you if Voigtlander had 15-20 carries he wouldn't avg what he does now. Coaches look at how players do in practice and that usually determines who plays, so what i'm saying maybe they see something during the week that we don't know about.

X-Factor
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Enough bickering guy/girls. I will tell you right now how it is going down this fall :D

Both DJ and Voit are 1000+ rushers and split carries :nod:

A1pigskin
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Ditto..... I don't understand it either.

A1pigskin
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Voits shoulder needs to heel. We need him at 100% for this season.

HandoEX
10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
DJ has gone for 596 yards in his last 3 games :nod:

unbison
10-13-2010, 12:12 PM
DJ has gone for 596 yards in his last 3 games :nod:

Feature back !!

Retired Ol' Ball Coach
10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Bisonfan11 do you want your crow cooked, or with the feathers on it . You shouldn't say sh t about football, becaue I don't think you really know much about football. I don't know; maybe it's has something to do with culture. I'm going to put you with those other two haters (4mcrue and bison nwmn). There is more than enough crow to go around for the rest of the haters in bisonville. The only thing coach Bohl is doing, is trying to win football games, and trying to keep his job. That is why DJ is the starting RB. Now eat your crow and be happy.

BisoninNWMN
10-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Bisonfan11 do you want your crow cooked, or with the feathers on it . You shouldn't say sh t about football, becaue I don't think you really know much about football. I don't know; maybe it's has something to do with culture. I'm going to put you with those other two haters (4mcrue and bison nwmn). There is more than enough crow to go around for the rest of the haters in bisonville. The only thing coach Bohl is doing, is trying to win football games, and trying to keep his job. That is why DJ is the starting RB. Now eat your crow and be happy.

Frickin relax bud. This is a fan forum and people can express their opinions.

DJ has proved me wrong so far....great.

Bison Dan
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes people can express opinions but I really find it funny that some people love to hear themselves talk (post) and don't care how stupid some of their posts make them out to be. DJ is head and shoulders above anyone else we currently have at RB.

bisonfan11
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM

I will thank you very much. So McNorton proved me wrong. Should I be upset?? No, all I want is for the BEST option to be starting and right now the best back is McNorton. You might want to check when this post was made, it was made last April. Yeah, McNorton has improved a ton. Before this year McNorton was WAY too tentative hitting the holes that the O-Line gave him. From the South Dakota game on, McNorton has hit holes harder and is using his "dancing" ability in the 2nd level and 3rd level defenders. I also have come to realize that McNorton is the most "well rounded" back we have had in a long time. I mean McNorton has proven me wrong about his abilities as a running back, and he is an EXCELLENT option out of the backfield. So I was wrong, oh well if the team is playing better because of McNorton I am happy.

Bison"FANatic"
10-14-2010, 02:30 PM
The best thing about McNorton is he has progressed. He is a different back than he was 2 years ago and even last year. This is the kind of back we have to get, one that has the tools but is going to progress and learn. If they are great from the get go they are going FBS more than likely. Like everyone else has said he is not dancing 3 yards behind the line like we saw in the past. He is hitting the hole hard or getting right in behind his line and letting them open the hole for him to squirt or cut back through. Patience has been learned by him. I am also impressed at his top end speed. I remember one quote from Bohl about how he worked on his speed over the summer. It really shows.

56BISON73
10-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Try talking some FB yourself. All you have done is show that you have your head firmly planted up DJs ass for 2-3 years now.
You sure dont sound like any coach I have ever known. You sound more like someone else here who has multiple aliases.

But the fact is DJ is playing differently than he has in the past.
This change has made him a better back. If he was still doing the chuck and jive from a few years ago I can guarantee we wouldnt be having this discussion because he would be riding the pine.

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Ditto 56-73 here! Also, I will just cut and paste my post from other DJ thread, to wit:

I agree, for what it is worth, that DJ has improved, but still dances a little too much before hitting the line of scrimmage, especially when it is a "up the middle" (as they say) run. There is just a little hesitation there when the play is really supposed to be a quick hitter, as in a trap or power run call, where you don't wait for hole to open, you just hit it where it is called, and be prepared to bounce off and bump it outside if not there. He, however, does explode through the gap/whole on the perimeter runs, which are plays designed to have RB allow the blocks to get set up and wait for whatever develops--much like a screen. Just sayin!!

P.S. And Sigers should get at least 10-15 touches a game--I really like him--you guys just wait and see what he does when he becomes the featured back. As a former defensive player (and current, self-proclaimed elite football mind--credit to PA there), I would not want to try to defend against him--but I would give it the old college try!!

DjKyRo
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
An interesting thing to note about DJ is that he already has two games in his career as a starter of 200+ total yards (passing and rushing). How many times did Paschall do that (not to take anything away from my main man P^2)?

It's sure something to have a dual-threat RB that can catch passes and it definitely saved us at Youngstown.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm not really sure why people are using DJ's past to subtley knock him down, or that's what it seems like.

It's taking him longer to progress probably than one would have liked. but the fact is, the kid has arrived as a JR and breaking out in a big way. Pat Paschell as a SO wasn't nearly the RB as he was as a SR. He broke out in a big way too.

With the way McNorton is progressing, he could be one of FCS's best next year.

ndsubison1
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Ditto 56-73 here! Also, I will just cut and paste my post from other DJ thread, to wit:

I agree, for what it is worth, that DJ has improved, but still dances a little too much before hitting the line of scrimmage, especially when it is a "up the middle" (as they say) run. There is just a little hesitation there when the play is really supposed to be a quick hitter, as in a trap or power run call, where you don't wait for hole to open, you just hit it where it is called, and be prepared to bounce off and bump it outside if not there. He, however, does explode through the gap/whole on the perimeter runs, which are plays designed to have RB allow the blocks to get set up and wait for whatever develops--much like a screen. Just sayin!!

P.S. And Sigers should get at least 10-15 touches a game--I really like him--you guys just wait and see what he does when he becomes the featured back. As a former defensive player (and current, self-proclaimed elite football mind--credit to PA there), I would not want to try to defend against him--but I would give it the old college try!!

I agree get him the ball in space as much as possible! Last game worked, I'm sure we will be seeing more of Sigers :nod:

bisoneer
10-16-2010, 04:16 AM
DJ has really improved his game in just the last 2 or 3 games of this season, if that progress keeps up, watch out.... I also like the change of pace that Voitlander and Sigers give to the offense.... Just hang onto the ball men!!

SlickVic
10-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Old ball coach lives in south carolina if u havnt heard he coach the gamecocks getha fackts straight....dj gotta work on that stiff arm slash truck stck he is a great team mate great bison if he never earns another yard again I'm happy he has been a part of the progra both him and w halloway have come along ways they are the future aka straight up building blocks for this program couldn't think of 2 finer young gentlemen I'd rather associate with bison football than dj mvnaughton and warren h halloway they are both what the bison are all about. Perfect team mates