PDA

View Full Version : Can we end our scheduling woes by adding USD to the MVFC?

AKBison
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
By adding USD to the Valley we would be able to add one more conference game each year and have five home conference games every other year. On the years we have four conference games at home, we skip the FBS away game and play two out of conference games at home. This will do two things. It will end the UND game debauchery that no one really wants to play anyways. If we really want to, or need to schedule them, play them only in years that we have a 12 game season. We can just rotate home and home with them on this. This kind of scheduling is right out of Montana's playbook. When we get to the point where the Dome is sold out for every game before the season starts, then we must make sure that there are always 6 home games. I truly believe that we will break the 10,000 ticket threshold this year. If we continue at the current pace it won't be long until we reach the 12,800 or whatever it was season ticket maximum. Plus, we would be adding another yearly bus trip to the schedule. That has got to help the bottom line and the sustainability of our athletic budget.

Thoughts?

Year 1

6 home/5 away

game #1 cupcake-home
game #2 FBS-away
game #3 Indian State-home
game #4 UNI-away
game #5 Mo-State-away
game #6 Illinois State home
game #7 Youngstown-away
game #8 Western Illinois-home
game #9 USD-home
game #10 SIU-Away
game #11 SDSU-Home

Year 2

game #1 cupcake-home
game #2 cupcake-home
game #4 UNI-away
game #5 Mo-State-away
game #6 Illinois State away
game #7 Youngstown-away
game #9 USD-home
game #10 SIU-Away
game #11 SDSU-Home

lakesbison
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Id add SATAN or usd if it meant not having to put up with the.constant garage that.is being spewed.

tjbison
04-06-2010, 02:57 AM
I Just don't see the MVFC adding non-valley schools for football, unless someone drops out. Status Quo is fine right now there won't be any expansion. There will always be a spot for the potential of WSU bringing back the tackle ball.

Herd
04-06-2010, 03:07 AM
9 conf games 2 non-conf? No, I don't like it.

8 conf games 3 non-conf . . . that's much better situation.

Tatanka
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
No. Next question.

KC Bison
04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Adding USD to the MV means eventually adding a travel partner, the "suzy-Q's" so NO NO NO.

roadwarrior
04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Adding USD to the MV means eventually adding a travel partner, the "suzy-Q's" so NO NO NO.

There are no travel partners in football, with only one game per week.

JacksFan06
04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I highly doubt that NDSU would want to do away with the annual FBS game. That's a big chunk of change to miss out on.

CaBisonFan
04-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I like the idea. And to continue following the Montana playbook...build an outdoor stadium...where football was meant to be played. They have 'atmosphere,' like we used to have. Part of the reason tailgating is such a big deal is because it's outside. It should continue when you enter the stadium.

Amused
04-06-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't think adding one team is possible. Adding 3 to make 2-6 team divisions might work. Play 5 teams in your division and 2-3 from the other division each year. Is that how the SEC does it?

TheBisonator
04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
My answer to this question is no, because this will force the conference to consider adding a certain law school downstream from us in order to balance out the scheduling.

Of course, they could just as easily grab Eastern Illinois from the OVC, but I don't think that would happen.

AKBison
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM

But thats the whole problem, we can't fill out 3 non conference games. Just trying to think a little outside of the box to make scheduling easier. Would a 12 game schedule help with out with scheduling?

aces1180
04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
But thats the whole problem, we can't fill out 3 non conference games. Just trying to think a little outside of the box to make scheduling easier. Would a 12 game schedule help with out with scheduling?

The NCAA only allows FCS schools to play a 12-game regular season once every four years.

bisoneer
04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
We need to beat the Jacks this year for once in a blue moon.

KC Bison
04-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I would agree that they don't refer to teams as travel partners but a 11 team conference means that each week 1 team doesn't play a conference game. Thus, you create demand for a matching 12th team to help out with the schedule, which would likely be the donkeys of the north.

tjbison
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Well even if USD was added it only takes the conference to 10, When the vote to expand to the Dakotas came up last time we barely made it in so to think they want 2 more teams up here is wishful thinking. We are VERY lucky we are still not in the Great west

AKBison
04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
The NCAA only allows FCS schools to play a 12-game regular season once every four years.

Isn't there a push to allow FCS teams to schedule 12 games? Going to 10 is not going to make it any easier for UND to get into the MVFC. Like it or not, we will likely be in a football conference with them anyway within the next ten years. I am not real big on scheduling them but financially, at some point, it makes to much sense not to. It is a 72 mile road trip with no hotels involved! It doesn't get any cheaper than that for a non home game.

Hammersmith
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Isn't there a push to allow FCS teams to schedule 12 games? Going to 10 is not going to make it any easier for UND to get into the MVFC. Like it or not, we will likely be in a football conference with them anyway within the next ten years. I am not real big on scheduling them but financially, at some point, it makes to much sense not to. It is a 72 mile road trip with no hotels involved! It doesn't get any cheaper than that for a non home game.

Iffy. There seemed to be a debate whether to add the 12th game or expand the playoffs. When the decision to expand the playoffs was made, the 12th game talk died off. If it does happen, it will be after a few years of 20-24 teams in the playoffs to see how that works out. As much as I would like it, I don't see it happening in the next few years. By 2016, on the other hand...

BisoninNWMN
04-07-2010, 12:12 AM
No

8 conference - 3 ooc is perfect

tjbison
04-07-2010, 01:10 AM
No

8 conference - 3 ooc is perfect

also none of the other MVFC teams have a problem filling their schedules.

AKbison I understand your concern but USD is a LONG shot for admittance as of now. The other 8 teams full their schedules early, I have no explanation why we and SDSU have been the last , but couild be the newness to FCS and have not earned the street cred with the bigger FCS schools so to say. Just my opinion

Hammersmith
04-07-2010, 01:35 AM

Except maybe SDSU, who is getting desperate to add a fifth home game this year. And also remember that at least a couple MVFC members use DII/NAIA schools to fill out their schedules.

westnodak93bison
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
What website shows all the teams with open dates?

BisonNeil
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure that is true.

Illinois St is playing Central MO. St, a DII school.

Indiana St is playing St Josephs (DII) and Quincy (NAIA).

SDSU has only 10 games like us, but the others are all DI.

SIU is also playing Quincy (NAIA).

MO St, UNI, WIU and YSU all have a DI schedule.

Now, if you only think NDSU and SDSU have a scheduling issue in the MVFC simply because they are the only ones that have 10 games scheduled, than I guess I can't disagree.

However, I doubt very much that Illinois St, Indiana St and SIU are consciously choosing to play DII or NAIA schools just for the fun of it. I think an arguement could be made that they also have scheduling issues. By my way of thinking, 5/9 MVFC schools have scheduling issues. Do the math.

tjbison
04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure that is true.

Illinois St is playing Central MO. St, a DII school.

Indiana St is playing St Josephs (DII) and Quincy (NAIA).

SDSU has only 10 games like us, but the others are all DI.

SIU is also playing Quincy (NAIA).

MO St, UNI, WIU and YSU all have a DI schedule.

Now, if you only think NDSU and SDSU have a scheduling issue in the MVFC simply because they are the only ones that have 10 games scheduled, than I guess I can't disagree.

However, I doubt very much that Illinois St, Indiana St and SIU are consciously choosing to play DII or NAIA schools just for the fun of it. I think an arguement could be made that they also have scheduling issues. By my way of thinking, 5/9 MVFC schools have scheduling issues. Do the math.

Well I agree, but we don't have the money issues those schools have. Quite frankly some of the DII schools in this area are better qualitu than the Pioneer or NEC crap all I'm saying is adding USD doesn't solve OOC scheduling issues IMO

TheBisonator
04-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Well I agree, but we don't have the money issues those schools have. Quite frankly some of the DII schools in this area are better qualitu than the Pioneer or NEC crap all I'm saying is adding USD doesn't solve OOC scheduling issues IMO

Those schools you speak of are in the NSIC, a conference which plays very little, if any, OOC games. You won't find a single NSIC school with an open date in mid to late September, likely ever.

CaBisonFan
04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
We need to beat the Jacks this year for once in a blue moon.

If we'd stop giving early Christmas presents, we win. Control the ball and dominate with our offensive line. It's not complicated. With a confident QB, we win. Mohler can do that. In 2007, Walker's last year, we were one-dimensional.

No Paschall and an injured Tyler Roehl. It was tee-off time for their blitz. Their game plan was to key 2 or 3 guys on Tyler Roehl...then he got hurt...then all they did was blitz. They knew our playbook. They knew exactly when Tyler was going to run...and where. They even knew when Tyler was going to do the little screen pass to the right. Hell...even I knew. Even with all of that going against us, and a ton of stupid turnovers, we had a chance to win...at their place. It was like watching the Vikings in the NFC championship game. The last two years...well...no leadership on offense.

Talent is not an issue.

BisonNeil
04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
According to the areavoices it looks like there is little hope on the horizon for an 11th game thus far. Kolpack quoted Taylor as saying:

"Hopefully somebody will pop up that we didn't think about"

Say what? Somebody you didn't think about....hmmm, interesting.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/index.cfm

Well guys, looks like we need help Gene out and to do a manual search. Over lunch hour I finished the Great West Conference and the Southwest Conference teams, no openings, everyone has 11 games. Click them off here as you search them.

OrygunBison
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
... but couild be the newness to FCS and have not earned the street cred with the bigger FCS schools so to say.

Who's ass do we need to pop a cap in?

Bisonguy
04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
According to the areavoices it looks like there is little hope on the horizon for an 11th game thus far. Kolpack quoted Taylor as saying:

"Hopefully somebody will pop up that we didn't think about"

Say what? Somebody you didn't think about....hmmm, interesting.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/index.cfm

Well guys, looks like we need help Gene out and to do a manual search. Over lunch hour I finished the Great West Conference and the Southwest Conference teams, no openings, everyone has 11 games. Click them off here as you search them.

I believe there's at least one GW team that only has 10 games. :hide:

tony
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Who's ass do we need to pop a cap in?

Don't people usually start with a cop in Oak town who is not delivering the correct amount of props?

AKBison
04-07-2010, 09:16 PM
According to D2 Football.com, there are two teams looking for a gurantee game on Sept 18. Lane College and Wisconsin Whitewater who is DIII. Gulp:(
I looked around some of the HBCU's as they often have a hard time filling out schedules but didn't see anything available. Lane College has an enrollment of 1400 and is in Tennessee. The good news is that Minot State is transitioning to DII next year and is actively seeking about 10 games to fill its schedule!

BisoninNWMN
04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Geeeezzzzzz

Find a good D2 team then and bring them in......

10 games is unacceptable, IMO...

tjbison
04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Geeeezzzzzz

HA ha I wasn't implicating playing DII's but yeah after the blog i'm starting wonder:hide:

BisoninNWMN
04-07-2010, 09:48 PM
HA ha I wasn't implicating playing DII's but yeah after the blog i'm starting wonder:hide:

UNI-Montana-most MV schools schedule them. If it comes down to scheduling a D2 or not having a 6th game.....that is a no-brainer, schedule the D2 for a 6th game......

NDSUstudent
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I looked around and basically Tennessee Tech and Bucknell are the only DI options that we share open dates with, but Tennessee Tech is looking for one more game and they only have four home games.

There are other teams with open dates but our or their schedule would have to be shuffled to get something scheduled and I'm sure that isn't easy.

I'd say we are likely looking at a DII.

ndsubison1
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Geeeezzzzzz

lol we're not gonna have 10 games

HerdBot
04-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I like the idea. And to continue following the Montana playbook...build an outdoor stadium...where football was meant to be played. They have 'atmosphere,' like we used to have. Part of the reason tailgating is such a big deal is because it's outside. It should continue when you enter the stadium.

People who say "football was meant to be played outside" typically haven't experienced the wrath of a -30 degree windchill. Montana has a great atmosphere because they have 25k fans at every game and students, who create the atmosphere, pack the place while we have to beg ours to come for free. If montana had a dome on their stadium it would be twice as loud and the atmosphere would be better.

Explain this one to me... how does being outside, frozen and stiff, so cold you can't even clap your hands together because your gloves muffle the sound ADD to the atmosphere? I personally get a bit more rowdy when I'm warm and relaxed. Not frozen.

If they want to improve the atmosphere, get the students to show up. Sell beer.

HerdBot
04-08-2010, 02:04 AM
By adding USD to the Valley we would be able to add one more conference game each year and have five home conference games every other year. On the years we have four conference games at home, we skip the FBS away game and play two out of conference games at home. This will do two things. It will end the UND game debauchery that no one really wants to play anyways. If we really want to, or need to schedule them, play them only in years that we have a 12 game season. We can just rotate home and home with them on this. This kind of scheduling is right out of Montana's playbook. When we get to the point where the Dome is sold out for every game before the season starts, then we must make sure that there are always 6 home games. I truly believe that we will break the 10,000 ticket threshold this year. If we continue at the current pace it won't be long until we reach the 12,800 or whatever it was season ticket maximum. Plus, we would be adding another yearly bus trip to the schedule. That has got to help the bottom line and the sustainability of our athletic budget.

Thoughts?

Year 1

6 home/5 away

game #1 cupcake-home
game #2 FBS-away
game #4 UNI-away
game #5 Mo-State-away
game #6 Illinois State home
game #7 Youngstown-away
game #9 UND-home
game #10 SIU-Away
game #11 SDSU-Home

Year 2

game #1 cupcake-home
game #2 cupcake-home
game #4 UNI-away
game #5 Mo-State-away
game #6 Illinois State away
game #7 Youngstown-away
game #9 UND-home
game #10 SIU-Away
game #11 SDSU-Home

I'm not a genius but wouldn't putting UND in the MVFC kill 2 birds with one stone? Play them every year. Book the occassional game with Montana/Montana State when we can't find a cupcake. Play an FBS game every year.

tjbison
04-08-2010, 02:06 AM
People who say "football was meant to be played outside" typically haven't experienced the wrath of a -30 degree windchill. Montana has a great atmosphere because they have 25k fans at every game and students, who create the atmosphere, pack the place while we have to beg ours to come for free. If montana had a dome on their stadium it would be twice as loud and the atmosphere would be better.

Explain this one to me... how does being outside, frozen and stiff, so cold you can't even clap your hands together because your gloves muffle the sound ADD to the atmosphere? I personally get a bit more rowdy when I'm warm and relaxed. Not frozen.

If they want to improve the atmosphere, get the students to show up. Sell beer.

++++++++++ when the Dome is packed for the SDSU games of 06-07 I will rival almost ANY field in FCS because of the roof. If we can pack that place game after game it will be the most hostile venue in FCS Football. Its designed perfectly for field noise

HerdBot
04-08-2010, 02:19 AM
++++++++++ when the Dome is packed for the SDSU games of 06-07 I will rival almost ANY field in FCS because of the roof. If we can pack that place game after game it will be the most hostile venue in FCS Football. Its designed perfectly for field noise

Exactly! Our atmosphere is phenomenal when the dome is packed and the team is winning. It's electric and as Steve Hallstorm put it, it's louder than Iowa State with 50K fans. It just sort of sucks when we're losing and there are too many blue seats. I think the point CA is trying to make is we need to be more like the big dogs in the FBS

"Meant to be played outside" is so overused. (sorry CA)

Why is it that they don't play hockey outside? I mean, they are on ice? It would be real easy to make an outdoor hockey arena. How about basketball outside? Probably because they players would actually die from the cold or have limbs lost due to frost bite.

There's a reason the Vikings, Lions, Bison, Sioux, and Northern Iowa all have domes. It's colder than $h!+ up here! The other teams playoutside because of tradition. Lambeau and Soldier Field are classic.

KC Bison
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Additionally, you have a much easier chance to recruit kids south of the Minnesota-South Dakota border when you can tell them you play in a dome.