PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Recruit, Matt James

NDSUFan_Sav
04-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm assuming there was a lot of partying going on or something along the lines.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/notre-dame-recruit-matt-james-reportedly-dies-after-fall-from-hotel-balcony/1

WRSDBison
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I found out last night at 9. I still can't really believe it. 17-years-old is WAY too young for a life to be taken. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends in these difficult times.

DjKyRo
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Article on ESPN says police feel alcohol was involved. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5053059

Just too bad, I caught a schpeel on him during the Army game, he looked to have a great college career.

ndsubison1
04-03-2010, 11:03 PM
People will state this as an example of why the legal age shouldnt be lowered :rolleyes:

WRSDBison
04-04-2010, 08:30 AM
People will state this as an example of why the legal age shouldnt be lowered :rolleyes:

Really? You're gonna make a joke out of a 17-year-old kid losing his life? Grow up. This is a situation that should make every single football fan sit-back and realize that football is a luxary. Life is the real thing that matters. I can't imagine what his parents are going through right now.

Maybe you aren't making a joke but either way, that's not something that needs to be said on a public board. It's a sickening thing that happened where parents have to bury their kid WAY too young.

RIP Matt

WRSDBison
04-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Article on ESPN says police feel alcohol was involved. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5053059

Just too bad, I caught a schpeel on him during the Army game, he looked to have a great college career.

As I stated above, who cares what kind of college career he may have had. One really needs to look at the LIFE he could have had. He was a 17-year-old kid that did the same stuff I did at that age. He just so happened to lost his life over it. It's something that makes me sick to my stomach and hopefully everyone else has the same gut reaction.

DjKyRo
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
As I stated above, who cares what kind of college career he may have had. One really needs to look at the LIFE he could have had. He was a 17-year-old kid that did the same stuff I did at that age. He just so happened to lost his life over it. It's something that makes me sick to my stomach and hopefully everyone else has the same gut reaction.

I agree with you, I'm just saying that an athlete of his caliber seemed to have a future that included football. It's always terrible when you see someone as young as 17 passing away for whatever reason, but when you have a glimpse into that person's future (or potential future) it's all the more heartbreaking, in my opinion. A sad deal no matter how you look at it.

aces1180
04-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Really? You're gonna make a joke out of a 17-year-old kid losing his life? Grow up. This is a situation that should make every single football fan sit-back and realize that football is a luxary. Life is the real thing that matters. I can't imagine what his parents are going through right now.

Maybe you aren't making a joke but either way, that's not something that needs to be said on a public board. It's a sickening thing that happened where parents have to bury their kid WAY too young.

RIP Matt

The kid shouldn't have been drinking and do something stupid...I feel for his family, but why was he in Florida drinking at 17-years of age?...There has to be some accountability.

BraxtonT
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
The kid shouldn't have been drinking and do something stupid...I feel for his family, but why was he in Florida drinking at 17-years of age?...There has to be some accountability.

+++++++++++++++++++++

WRSDBison
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Fair enough. I can't really answer why he's drinking in Florida. The only thing I will say is I drank at age 17. My only thought as to why he would be on spring break is that he would not have been able to attend any spring breaks while in college. Spring football practice is going on during the time of spring break. But yes, I will agree, that there has to be some accountability.

ndsubison1
04-04-2010, 11:27 PM

RIP Matt

Where was I making a joke? Just the simple truth.

EndZoneQB
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM

I'll bite. I admit, I went to Florida as a 17 year old junior in HS, and partied pretty hard. I was likely a little young for it but it's pretty easy to fit in if you're a little bigger than the average 17 year old. Nothing bad happened, except maybe someone got sick, we did hear stories tho...I lived to tell about it. His story is extremely sad, but it could have happened to anyone at ANY age. My parents trusted me to take care of myself and steer clear of trouble. Age is less of a determining factor than it would appear, which is also what I think ming was ultimately getting at if I read correctly. And as much as I hate to say it, leaning over a balcony is a lot less stupid than it sounds in his case. Granted, I don't know to what extent he was "leaning" over the balcony, but he really could have been doing much worse things. Like I said, it's a terribly sad story, but it could have been a 27, 37, 47 year old doing just the same.

The Lost Dutchman
04-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I'll bite. I admit, I went to Florida as a 17 year old junior in HS, and partied pretty hard. I was likely a little young for it but it's pretty easy to fit in if you're a little bigger than the average 17 year old. Nothing bad happened, except maybe someone got sick, we did hear stories tho...I lived to tell about it. His story is extremely sad, but it could have happened to anyone at ANY age. My parents trusted me to take care of myself and steer clear of trouble. Age is less of a determining factor than it would appear, which is also what I think ming was ultimately getting at if I read correctly. And as much as I hate to say it, leaning over a balcony is a lot less stupid than it sounds in his case. Granted, I don't know to what extent he was "leaning" over the balcony, but he really could have been doing much worse things. Like I said, it's a terribly sad story, but it could have been a 27, 37, 47 year old doing just the same.

Absolutely great post, very difficult to say it any better then that! Like you said, very terribly sad story.