PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tournament expansion

NDSUstudent
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
The NCAA appears to be on the verge of expanding the men’s basketball tournament to 96 teams.

Insisting that nothing has been decided, NCAA vice president Greg Shaheen nonetheless outlined a detailed plan Thursday that included the logistics and timing of a 96-team tournament, how much time off the players would have and even revenue distribution.

Shaheen said the NCAA looked at keeping the current 65-team field and expanding to 68 or 80 teams, but decided the bigger bracket was best fit logistically and financially.

It would be played during the same time frame as the current three-week tournament and include first-round byes for 32 teams.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-ncaatournament-expansion

tjbison
04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Big Mistake if you ask me

onbison09
04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Big Mistake if you ask me

Not that big of a mistake unless you view ruining the closest thing to perfect as you have in sports. Just think about this year. College basketball's new slogan is, "See ya in March because the regular season doesn't mean jack."

56BISON73
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Its turning in to a joke. Hell why not just them all play. Reg season doesnt mean squat.

onbison09
04-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Why not just let everyone from the Big East in?

56BISON73
04-01-2010, 10:00 PM
96 team BB tourny but they cant figure out how to hold a 16 team FB tournament for the NC. LOL LOL

sambini
04-01-2010, 11:49 PM
96 team BB tourny but they cant figure out how to hold a 16 team FB tournament for the NC. LOL LOL
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tatanka
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Epic Fail.

Although, maybe if they expand the tourney to 430 teams... oh never mind.

56BISON73
04-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Epic Fail.

Although, maybe if they expand the tourney to 430 teams... oh never mind.

To hell with conference play. Why not include all D1-A and D1-AA teams in a tournament that started from day one. The tourney could be double elimination so teams could actually win their way back through the losers bracket. They rate all the teams for the tourney on how they finnished the year before. Heck that would mean the whole season would be one big tournament.:D

AKBison
04-02-2010, 04:35 AM
The only way I support this is if EVERY regular season conference champ and EVERY conference tournament champ gets an automatic invite. Furthermore, EVERY regular season conference champ must recieve a first round bye. If the above happens it could turn out pretty good for the mid-major and low-major conferences.

ndsubison1
04-02-2010, 06:30 AM
exactly why college football doesnt need a playoff... it will only keep expanding and expanding

tjbison
04-02-2010, 01:12 PM
exactly why college football doesnt need a playoff... it will only keep expanding and expanding

I will disagree with this, look at the BBall tourney and the "smaller" schools making runs, same thing would happen in FB and make the Big boys play a full year.

Well I don't disagree they should cap and leave the field number set, but there should be a playoff, only way to crown a true champ.

Grizzled
04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Didn't the NCAA once say that missing class is one of the reasons they don't do a football playoff even though it would happen over x-mas break?

So this isn't a concern for 31 more basketball teams?

NDSUguy
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I just read the proposed expansion notes:

1. tournament would not be any longer... Shorter breaks between later rounds
2. conference tournament and conference regular season champ get byes

To me, this sounds like something that might very much benefit NDSU...and another reason that UND is kicking itself for not jumping at the chance to move D1 with us....

tjbison
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't see any benefit i guess I would rather have the Tourny champ in the Dance, makes it more special just My opinion. Also still could mean that Mid and Lower major Conferences could still get only 1 bid allowing for the Power conferences to essentially add their entire group (ala the Big East) by say as an example NDSU winning the regular season AND Conference tourney makes the Summit a 1 bid unless I'm missing something

99Bison
04-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Only concern is that it gets watered down (personally think 64 is just below that mark) and makes it yet another step harder to get to the sweet 16, which is the cut off for being extraordinary run.

Getting both summit regular season and conf tourney champs in would be nice for lower level leagues though. Although takes the edge off having to win the tourney, thus taking some fun drama out.

silkamilkamonico
04-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Terrible idea.

Now, the teams that have a great season get rewarded with a bye, and then a first round game against a team like Cornell or Northern Iowa who already have a tournament game under their belt, instead of a team like Arkansas Pine Bluff.

I'm sure the coaches of the higher up programs are going to love that, especailly considering the first round games are always a little tense and nerve wracking.

Shawn-O
04-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm starting to warm up to this idea of an auto-bid for both the regular season and conference tournament winners, as well as the bye for a double-winner. To implement this my guess is that they'd only seed the top 16 teams and slot the rest in accordingly.

Twentysix
04-03-2010, 03:03 AM
I don't see any benefit i guess I would rather have the Tourny champ in the Dance, makes it more special just My opinion. Also still could mean that Mid and Lower major Conferences could still get only 1 bid allowing for the Power conferences to essentially add their entire group (ala the Big East) by say as an example NDSU winning the regular season AND Conference tourney makes the Summit a 1 bid unless I'm missing something

Clearly the coaches would be in "Kahoots" and would throw the game allowing the summit to always have 2 teams.

ISXBISON
04-03-2010, 04:12 AM
This idea sucks...It's all about money. All this does is ensure more of the Major conferences getting their 4,5,6,7,8,9 placed teams in. Won't mean much for the mid-majors. Will totally water down and ruin the tourney and March Madness. Reminds me of what FBS football has become. Finish with an average record and you're in a bowl game.
It's going to ruin it all for the fans of March Madness. Could just as well let everyone in so there are more games for more revenue, no ones feelings get hurt, and everyone could get a participation medal...What a joke

sambini
04-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Its all about the buck. Leave it alone...

ndsubison1
04-06-2010, 06:20 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/if-basketball-had-a-bcs-system

GRAFTONBISON
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM

To answer this moron's questions......

yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes, playoffs, yes:banghead:

onbison09
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM

That was a stupid article IMO.