PDA

View Full Version : How Short is the Leash?

CaBisonFan
03-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I can't help but wonder if the new sheriff in town (prez) isn't going to look at the bigger picture after this. No crystal ball here. No predictions.

But I would bet that there is concern over a systemic problem...and I would also bet that the entire program will be under review...on Monday.

Nothing would surprise me. This is about more than 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 players. Not saying Bohl is to blame.

My thread is more about the new president, the attitude about the continued bad public relations, and what appears to be a lower tolerance level for BS. Taylor leaving? Chapman gone?

When this many incidents take place...does the buck eventually fall somewhere? I'm not in the anti-Bohl camp...but I am really curious as to how the new leadership will respond. There 'is' a point where the more casual fan, and the big donors will be affected. Serious, serious problem...right now.

roadwarrior
03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
The new sheriff in town (prez) won't be in charge for very long.

tjbison
03-28-2010, 12:09 AM
The new sheriff in town (prez) won't be in charge for very long.

I'm sure if it was up to him right now, he would scrap the FB program and give the schollys to UND

CaBisonFan
03-28-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm sure if it was up to him right now, he would scrap the FB program and give the schollys to UND

As would the legislature and those who have been celebrating Chapman's departure.

BadlandsBison
03-28-2010, 12:57 AM
These players as individuals are the ones who are breaking the law, not Bohl. And at least Bohl is doing something about when they get caught.

Can you really tell if a high school athlete you are recruiting will be a bad apple? That is often the case I would say. But a coach can't predict 100% how a kid is gonna react to college. All in all, I can't put much blame on Bohl for players breaking the law, although is does look awful terrible for the university when this stuff happens.

Scooter1
03-28-2010, 01:19 AM
I would say that the leash is the same length. It sounds like these kids are going to be or are already gone. Hey, you screw up and you are gone. The same can't be said everywhere.

The bigger question is which player is going to step up and take the leadership role by the short hairs and have a comming to Jesus with the team. I'm putting out a call to six guys right now.

1. Matt Gratzek -
2. Preston Evans -
3. Coulter Boyer -
4. Mike Arndt -
5. DJ McNorton -
6. Lee Vandal -

Maybe the best thing to happen to this team is if Dante Perez were to win the starting job at QB. He seams to have his head on right and doesn't have two stikes against him.

NorthernBison
03-28-2010, 02:07 AM

First of all, I have almost nothing good to say about "Interim Dick" but, Gene Taylor said last night at the caravan stop in Cavalier that Dick is a strong supporter of athletics. So, I really doubt he would stick his nose into Gene's Department.

Blast away at everything else he does though. I certainly have.

CaBisonFan
03-28-2010, 02:29 AM
I would say that the leash is the same length. It sounds like these kids are going to be or are already gone. Hey, you screw up and you are gone. The same can't be said everywhere.

The bigger question is which player is going to step up and take the leadership role by the short hairs and have a comming to Jesus with the team. I'm putting out a call to six guys right now.

1. Matt Gratzek -
2. Preston Evans -
3. Coulter Boyer -
4. Mike Arndt -
5. DJ McNorton -
6. Lee Vandal -

Maybe the best thing to happen to this team is if Dante Perez were to win the starting job at QB. He seams to have his head on right and doesn't have two stikes against him.

Good comments...everyone.

4mcruenomore
03-28-2010, 05:19 AM

1. Matt Gratzek -
2. Preston Evans -
3. Coulter Boyer -
4. Mike Arndt -
5. DJ McNorton -
6. Lee Vandal -

Wait a year, and I'll give you a name

Facts
03-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Wait a year, and I'll give you a name

Are you talking about that recruit outta the cities? ;)

Jdubs21
03-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Justin Juckem!!!

BisonNolesFan77
03-28-2010, 07:19 AM
You can't say the whole program is a problem, it is unfair to the guys on the team that really are working their asses for the program and making the right choices on and off the field, and to the coaching staff, they can't babysit these guys for 24 hours a day.

The staff can't predict what is going to happen with these once they get on campus, they can do their research on them when they are recruiting them, but you can never predict what a 20 year old kid is going to do when he gets on campus, I'm sure Bohl had no idea that Johnson was going to turn out to a be complete waste/idiot once he got here.

You can't say the program is on a short leash, like I said it's unfair, all you can do is let it be known that if you, the player, puts yourself into a situation where you are getting a DUI, Possesion, or what could be a felony like this, there will be no second chances, you do something stupid, you don't deserve to be part of the program, and you dont have the character to be part of the program.

CaBisonFan
03-28-2010, 07:35 AM
You can't say the whole program is a problem, it is unfair to the guys on the team that really are working their asses for the program and making the right choices on and off the field, and to the coaching staff, they can't babysit these guys for 24 hours a day.

The staff can't predict what is going to happen with these once they get on campus, they can do their research on them when they are recruiting them, but you can never predict what a 20 year old kid is going to do when he gets on campus, I'm sure Bohl had no idea that Johnson was going to turn out to a be complete waste/idiot once he got here.

You can't say the program is on a short leash, like I said it's unfair, all you can do is let it be known that if you, the player, puts yourself into a situation where you are getting a DUI, Possesion, or what could be a felony like this, there will be no second chances, you do something stupid, you don't deserve to be part of the program, and you dont have the character to be part of the program.

All of what's going on is unfair to the players that are using their heads. The fricken spotlight keeps shining on the wrong things. The bleeding needs to stop. This blog only states the obvious...meaning things that the players already know. The media has made it pretty clear.

Guess I could have said it more straight-up. Wonder when the leadership at NDSU will take it out on Bohl, even if it's not his fault. There is a precedent. Not saying it should happen...but the number of incidents has become pretty large...and has spanned a few years.

You're absolutely correct...the players that are doing things right don't deserve any of this. This has nothing to do with them, but it 'is' reflecting on them.

You must admit that this has reached a ridiculous point.

EndZoneQB
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
This thread sucks.

tjbison
03-28-2010, 12:45 PM
This thread sucks.

I agree, but also its a sad reality right now. I feel bad for the players that come out and work their asses off, just to get to a point where the publicity is looking good and ready to roll for spring then BANG this crap again. Hard to get good vibes going with idiots that keep thinking they are invincible

OldBison
03-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I think we should be cautious here about thinking that armegeddon is upon us and that Bohl is in trouble. Two players were stupid, this doesn't mean that there will be a rash of other issues leading to his demise.

I am convinced that last years won-lost record was the result of a perfect storm. The 09 flood disrupted spring practice and the coaches and the players never got into a flow so that improvements could made. I think the off the field issues got into everyones head, players, coaches, fans alike and that became the centerpiece of thinking patterns rather than getting better. I think Bohl's luck ran out in getting replacement coaches who can some into his system and produce (hence his careful selection this year with lesser known individuals). On top of that 3 out of 4 less than adequate recruiting classes caused depletion of talent in a number of areas (QB, WR, LB, DB).

In other words, the off the field issues were only part of the problem with last year and I don't think two players getting suspended, one who is obviously an idiot, means anything. The Bison will be improved, not playoff worthy, but fun to watch. Let's not create issues that don't yet exist :bow:

1bizon1
03-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Unless you can get some of the locals to talk it is hard to do a real good back ground check on these H.S. recruits. Juvenile records are sealed aand very hard to look at. College recruiters have no chance to see these things.

westriver bison
03-28-2010, 10:18 PM
IMO--As long as Bohl keeps on disipling the kids who screw up, he's not in trouble for that. He can't be expected to predict the behavior of kids he met in HS who end up in college. I know kids that were little angels in HS, no problems with the law or booze what-so-ever that turned into idiots in college. I also know kids that were on the edge in HS and stayed that way through college, never went over the edge but were never far from it.

tjbison
03-28-2010, 10:33 PM
IMO--As long as Bohl keeps on disipling the kids who screw up, he's not in trouble for that. He can't be expected to predict the behavior of kids he met in HS who end up in college. I know kids that were little angels in HS, no problems with the law or booze what-so-ever that turned into idiots in college. I also know kids that were on the edge in HS and stayed that way through college, never went over the edge but were never far from it.

i admit I was one of the latter, but I also PAID for my College, so If I screwed up My parents are the only ones who could be disappointed, not the entire teamakers:hide:

Kermit
03-28-2010, 10:33 PM

I can't disagree with your comments. On the other hand, even I was aware of some red flags with certain recruits before they came to Fargo--and I am no detective!

I really do believe that the problem has been largely corrected. I haven't seen the same red flags at all in the past two recruiting classes.

ndsubison1
03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
The leash is not that short

THEsocalledfan
03-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Excellent point, and one only needs to look back at Rocky's history to see the distinction:

1. Bohl seems to be consistantly coming down on folks.
2. Rocky once threatened a campus dick when addressing stupid player behavior......it even had to go further before Rocky was forced out.

Grizzled
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM

I agree. My only problem is why does respect for the program seem to be lacking. Back in my day players had enough respect for the coaches that you didn't want to be the guy who had to walk in and tell your position coach or head coach about any sort of trouble you may have gotten in. And trying to explain to your teammates was an embarrassment. I watched guys cry like two year olds because they knew they let everyone down. The only response I heard from a few guys on the team where "Well, here we go again and I should have known better than to think we could get through an entire offseason." Its sad to me when guys almost expect something to happen.

99Bison
03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
I agree. My only problem is why does respect for the program seem to be lacking. Back in my day players had enough respect for the coaches that you didn't want to be the guy who had to walk in and tell your position coach or head coach about any sort of trouble you may have gotten in. And trying to explain to your teammates was an embarrassment. I watched guys cry like two year olds because they knew they let everyone down. The only response I heard from a few guys on the team where "Well, here we go again and I should have known better than to think we could get through an entire offseason." Its sad to me when guys almost expect something to happen.

^^^^^ Exactly... and similarly with the resources available Bohl is also expected to win respectfully.

bisonatrix
03-31-2010, 04:14 AM
Newbie grad student here. The leash is as long or as short as the W and L record. say what they want, but unless football is in serious trouble (IE-more of the Shultenover type crap or worse), wins and losses is the key. seriously, college kids getting drunk? doing stupid things? that's par for the course whether your an athlete or an average dude. paying a couple hundred grand to only win 3 games? that gets you canned pretty fast....