PDA

View Full Version : Taylor to K-State?

Bison bison
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
The crazy cat is in the running!

MN_BISON
03-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Here's the link to the article about Taylor to Kent State: http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/4794741

Grizzled
03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
I'd really hat to see him go but the other finalists on that list are no where near what Gene Taylor is as an athletic director. Kent St. would be hard pressed to find a better man for the job.

That being said stay here Gene.

HandoEX
03-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Great. This is exactly what we need right now:smh:

bisonmike2
03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Gene's been great for us. I hate to see him leave us for Kent State. Kent State? Really? If he's going to go I'd rather see him go to a BCS conference school. He deserves it. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall. If Boss Hogg gets the President's job, you can kiss all the momentum in the athletic department goodbye. Chapman used to say that a University's athletic department was the front porch to the institution. Boss Hogg probably feels like it belongs in the basement.

lcbison
03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Gene has always been saying he is only gonna stay here for a certain amount of time. something like "its not good to spend too much time in one place."

Bison bison
03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Gene is absolutely first-class.

However, with a new leader coming in and the successful transition of NDSU to Division I it is really an ideal time to go.

onbison09
03-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Hell no Gene don't go! That's just me being totally selfish.

westnodak93bison
03-24-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm seriously wondering if he is concerned about the level of support the athletic dept will get from the new admin. Legit question imho.

lcbison
03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm seriously wondering if he is concerned about the level of support the athletic dept will get from the new admin. Legit question imho.

Gene has also said he doesn't want to leave unless he gets 1 building project done. hmmmmmmm

TransAmBison
03-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe we could hope for the best either way...he stays and it is a non-issue, or he leaves and we get somebody who:

1. Pushes for even better media coverage.
2. Gets better scheduling done. (better teams/faster timeline)
3. Is not swayed by the anti-alcohol contigent.
4. ?

bisonmike2
03-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Maybe we could hope for the best either way...he stays and it is a non-issue, or he leaves and we get somebody who:

1. Pushes for even better media coverage.
2. Gets better scheduling done. (better teams/faster timeline)
3. Is not swayed by the anti-alcohol contigent.
4. ?

I approve of this message. Gene navigated us through the rough waters of transition relatively easily. Hopefully now that it's over Gene or the next guy can work on these, especially 4. Whatever that is.

lakesbison
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Thank you SBOHE members!!!!!!

thanks alot, well, back to 2000 for NDSU, if this happens.

AGRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Greenie
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Winning programs and new/upgraded facilities will take care of points #1,2, and 4.

Herd Mentality
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
After a few rumors I've heard about where our budget shortfall could end up, all I can say is Run Forrest, Run. Thanks for the memories.

DjKyRo
03-24-2010, 04:09 PM
According to Kolpack Gene's office door is open indicating he's in town, meaning not the guy being interviewed in Ohio at 11:30. Not likely, in his opinion.

Hammersmith
03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
According to Kolpack Gene's office door is open indicating he's in town, meaning not the guy being interviewed in Ohio at 11:30. Not likely, in his opinion.

And he just updated that again to quote GT as saying it's very unlikely that he will get the job. (more coming)

Kent State trail (it's over) (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=74442)

Way to scare me after just getting home, Kolpack.

ISXBISON
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Kolpack talked to Taylor and Taylor states he did interview but it's very unlikely he will be Kent State's next AD

99Bison
03-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Phew... stay Gene stay.

TransAmBison
03-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Winning programs and new/upgraded facilities will take care of points #1,2, and 4.
Point #2 became an issue for Gene when we ended the transition. I do not think us getting better will help us land better home games. This falls on his shoulders. The guy has done an excellent job overall, but this has been a challenge for him...imho. I don't see anything making the job easier or harder for him now. He just needs to get it done.

bisonmike2
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
And he just updated that again to quote GT as saying it's very unlikely that he will get the job. (more coming)

Kent State trail (it's over) (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=74442)

Way to scare me after just getting home, Kolpack.

Which means he's already been hired and is busy finding a moving company. Seriously don't all major hires start out like this? "It's unlikely I'll get hired for that job." Then BAM! They're on the next plane.

Grizzled
03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Which means he's already been hired and is busy finding a moving company. Seriously don't all major hires start out like this? "It's unlikely I'll get hired for that job." Then BAM! They're on the next plane.

I agree. Kind of left the door open.

Civil06
03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't want to work at a school that is considering Dick Hansen as its president. Can you imagine working for that guy? "Hey Gene, the football program is too profitable. Let's set up 3 games at the Alerus to help UND raise their average attendance."

Hammersmith
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
And now the story on the Forum website has been changed:

UPDATED: NDSU AD Gene Taylor out of the running for Kent State post (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/273274/)

[/muchadoaboutnothing]

aces1180
03-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't want to work at a school that is considering Dick Hansen as its president. Can you imagine working for that guy? "Hey Gene, the football program is too profitable. Let's set up 3 games at the Alerus to help UND raise their average attendance."

The backlash for Alumni will not help the school's image...I would hope that the search committee doesn't even make him a finalist.

ndsubison1
03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Leave it to the Forum comments to complain in that article why NDSU needs hockey

WYOBISONMAN
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I would suspect Gene would be looking around to advance his career. And, why not? More money, more prestige, new challenges.....and no Dick Hanson.

Taylor is a mover and a shaker. He is of a similar mindset towards growth as was Chapman. Hell, I would be happy with Gene as the President of NDSU. But.....Hanson, I would think (and this is pure speculation) as a permanent president of NDSU, would have Gene realy thinking about bailing for somewhere else.

THEsocalledfan
03-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Since I am removed from the Fargo area, where is this hatred of Hanson coming? I noted the fincance director fiasco, but are there other bone headed things?

Tatanka
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Since I am removed from the Fargo area, where is this hatred of Hanson coming? I noted the fincance director fiasco, but are there other bone headed things?

Short answer: Yes, and in abundance.

bisonmike2
03-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Short answer: Yes, and in abundance.

You know what I haven't seen him do yet is a press conference donning UND gear. He was probably going to save that one for his inauguration. Thankfully we wont' get to see that.

bisonmike2
03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Hmmmmm. Taylor announces he's out of the running for the Kent St. job within hours that it's announced that Hanson is out of the running for the president's job. Interesting.

Twentysix
03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Leave it to the Forum comments to complain in that article why NDSU needs hockey

Bob Vance n. Fargo, ND 03/24/2010 3:00 PM

Bob J - You'll have to excuse Ronald T, he's under the delusion that NDSU has any kind of credibility on a national scale in any sport. They got destroyed in their one appearance in the national BB tournament and the only reason they even got there was because they had one good player who carried the team in a weak conference. How did they do this year, Ronny?

Isnt bob vance the guy from the office that owns the office space next to what was dundermifflin?

Vance heating and air or something like that.

bisonmike2
03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Isnt bob vance the guy from the office that owns the office space next to what was dundermifflin?

yep, and he's married to Phyllis, not exactly a catch. So way to go Bob!

Tatanka
03-24-2010, 08:44 PM

Please for the love of all that is good, don't repost rants from teh asylum... We are all now dumber for having to read that crap. :banghead:

DjKyRo
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Please for the love of all that is good, don't repost rants from teh asylum... We are all now dumber for having to read that crap. :banghead:

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Kermit
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
And now the story on the Forum website has been changed:

UPDATED: NDSU AD Gene Taylor out of the running for Kent State post (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/273274/)

[/muchadoaboutnothing]

And the job goes to..Joel Nielsen of USD:
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100324/UPDATES/100324031

I'm thrilled that Gene is staying at NDSU for now. But Nielsen over Taylor? Wtf??

BadlandsBison
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM

Bob Vance of Vance Refridgeration :)

Bison bison
03-24-2010, 10:45 PM
So, to sum things up:

http://rlv.zcache.com/bob_vance_tshirt-p235962268339155327qqbf_400.jpg

Greenie
03-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Point #2 became an issue for Gene when we ended the transition. I do not think us getting better will help us land better home games. This falls on his shoulders. The guy has done an excellent job overall, but this has been a challenge for him...imho. I don't see anything making the job easier or harder for him now. He just needs to get it done.

No matter what the sport, home scheduling is tough when you are in Fargo, have competitive teams, and want to give out guarantee games (we have to wait in line for the FBS schools to make their offers, then take what is left over). Scheduling is easier when you want to schedule home-home series with other quality FCS schools. This can be dangerous when playing in the Valley already gives a tough schedule, then add a road FBS game on top of that.

Bottom line is, if our teams were winning conference championships or making the playoffs --> no one would complain about the schedule.

North Side
03-25-2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2010/03/24/genetaylor.jpg

Where is this pic from? and Is the S on the hat for State? Just never seen hats like that before for NDSU.

CaBisonFan
03-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Chapman was sent out of town for being a hard-nosed pusher for NDSU. A certain level of arrogance was necessary to get through the DI transition. The end-game for Chapman was political. Gene sees the handwriting.

aces1180
03-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Where is this pic from? and Is the S on the hat for State? Just never seen hats like that before for NDSU.

The win against Montana in 2003...That was the first year Bohl was coach.

roadwarrior
03-25-2010, 01:46 AM

Pretty sure that pic was the game at Montana.

4mcruenomore
03-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Montana game, awesomeness (see left side of my sig pic)

sambini
03-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Pretty sure that pic was the game at Montana.
It was the Montana game. I eas on the sideline that day pulling cord for Coach Bohls headset. It was awesome. Gene I am glad you are staying . Ist class man all the way and great family. ++++

DjKyRo
03-25-2010, 04:09 AM
It was the Montana game. I eas on the sideline that day pulling cord for Coach Bohls headset. It was awesome. Gene I am glad you are staying . Ist class man all the way and great family. ++++

This. Might not be happy with a few of his scheduling methods but that pales in comparison to all the good he's done for the university. Great to see he's doing the right things to get noticed by bigger schools but even more glad he's sticking around.

BisonNeil
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
And the job goes to..Joel Nielsen of USD:
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100324/UPDATES/100324031

I'm thrilled that Gene is staying at NDSU for now. But Nielsen over Taylor? Wtf??

Couldn't agree more.

What the hell has Nielsen done at USD? Yes, they are in transition, but is it going as successfully as NDSUs? NDSU had the most successful transition in the history of the NCAA, and Kent State picks Nielsen over Taylor?

I think this says more about Kent State than it does Gene Taylor.

Glad he is staying though.

BisBison
03-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Couldn't agree more.

What the hell has Nielsen done at USD? Yes, they are in transition, but is it going as successfully as NDSUs? NDSU had the most successful transition in the history of the NCAA, and Kent State picks Nielsen over Taylor?

Connections are the buzz word here. Nielsen had 'em Taylor didn't. A lot of the times it's who you know not what you know that gets you the job. Just the same their (Kent State's) bad decision is our gain. Glad to have Taylor around especially with what's been going on with the presidential search. We need his leadership now more than ever.

BlueBisonRock
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Connections are the buzz word here. Nielsen had 'em Taylor didn't. A lot of the times it's who you know not what you know that gets you the job. Just the same their (Kent State's) bad decision is our gain. Glad to have Taylor around especially with what's been going on with the presidential search. We need his leadership now more than ever.

It is also likely that Gene pulled his name from the listing of candidates and left Kent State with their second choice.

cbline
03-25-2010, 03:14 PM
I had to read the paper twice just to make sure that it REALLY said Nielsen and USD!!! Quite a leap of faith for Kent. Will be interesting who takes his place in Vermillion.

Hammersmith
03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm wondering if the decision was because of Kent State's financial situation. In their pond, they are a 'have-not'. While GT has accomplished a ton here at NDSU, we are a 'have' in our pond. USD is more of a 'have-not', and Kent State may feel he has more experience in containing and trimming a budget.

Amused
03-25-2010, 03:30 PM
It is also likely that Gene pulled his name from the listing of candidates and left Kent State with their second choice.

I could see that it would be possible. But why would you say "likely"?

cbline
03-25-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm wondering if the decision was because of Kent State's financial situation. In their pond, they are a 'have-not'. While GT has accomplished a ton here at NDSU, we are a 'have' in our pond. USD is more of a 'have-not', and Kent State may feel he has more experience in containing and trimming a budget.

You may be right Hammersmith, but they have no chance of raising themselves with an attitude of 'containing and trimming'. Small thinking on their part will create small results.

NorthernBison
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Just so nobody takes this personally, I'll start by saying that I find myself doing the same things I've read on this thread and it really cracks me up and I'm wondering if I have a screw loose.

If Gene had gotten the Kent State job, most of us would be disappointed and feeling bad that we were losing him. We're happy he is staying until we find out that Nielson from USD got the job and suddenly there is this irrational need to figure out why that happened. Why? Does this mean USD won the battle of the AD's?

I wonder if USD supporters are bummed that their AD is leaving or happy that he got the job over the NDSU AD? I'm thinking the former.

For the record, I doubt if we'll ever know exactly why Gene didn't get the job. Maybe he pulled his name. I read in the Forum that he was recommended for the job by a couple people who know him well and interviewed after the school contacted him. Maybe he wasn't overly excited about the job and it showed during the interview? I'm sure every one of us knows people who are very qualified in their field but we could never work with them. Maybe there was some of that going on.

At any rate, if it was a competition, I prefer to think we won. We still have Gene and I'm thinking that's still a pretty good person to have in the AD's office.

westnodak93bison
03-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Maybe Gene came across as having a different "vision" than the decision makers. Doesnt mean he got beat out by a "better" candidate.

HandoEX
03-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Montana game, awesomeness (see left side of my sig pic)

In your sig, Craig is wearing white and in that pic he's wearing green.

THEsocalledfan
03-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Maybe Gene came across as having a different "vision" than the decision makers. Doesnt mean he got beat out by a "better" candidate.

No doubt of that.

Nielson promised to cheaply take them to the heights of mediocrity. They will forver be the best of the worst and the worst of the best. (I think that is a Paul Harvey quote....)

Taylor insisted on sound funding of athletics programs and facilities and planned on demanding excellence. He clearly let them know how hard it is to assure the money is raised and available to pull it off.

Who the heck is Kent St? Not sure I have ever heard of them which basically shows they share Nielson's vision.

backpages
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Who the heck is Kent St? Not sure I have ever heard of them which basically shows they share Nielson's vision.[/QUOTE]

Check your history: May 4, 1970. Also, the song "Ohio" by Neil Young.

Grizzled
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
No doubt of that.

Nielson promised to cheaply take them to the heights of mediocrity. They will forver be the best of the worst and the worst of the best. (I think that is a Paul Harvey quote....)

Taylor insisted on sound funding of athletics programs and facilities and planned on demanding excellence. He clearly let them know how hard it is to assure the money is raised and available to pull it off.

Who the heck is Kent St? Not sure I have ever heard of them which basically shows they share Nielson's vision.

For a mid-major school Kent St. has had pretty good success this decade in the NCAA tournament. It would not have been a bad job to land at for an athletic director looking to move up the ladder. Their football team sucks but the rest of their sports aren't to bad for a mid major and have made recent apperances in the NCAA tournament.

Bison bison
03-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Check your history: May 4, 1970. Also, the song "Ohio" by Neil Young.[/QUOTE]

Fricken guard. 67 rounds. Four dead. C'mon.

Amused
03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=THEsocalledfan;360105]Nielson promised to cheaply take them to the heights of mediocrity. They will forver be the best of the worst and the worst of the best. (I think that is a Paul Harvey quote....)

Taylor insisted on sound funding of athletics programs and facilities and planned on demanding excellence. He clearly let them know how hard it is to assure the money is raised and available to pull it off.QUOTE]

Were you in on the interview of the 3rd candidate as well?

JacksFan06
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.kentstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11400&ATCLID=204915667

Facts
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM

DUHHH. They have some very prominent alumni, including superman... ever heard of him. Let's just say they named the university after him.

THEsocalledfan
03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
DUHHH. They have some very prominent alumni, including superman... ever heard of him. Let's just say they named the university after him.

Sorry, man, still not ringing a bell. They sound quite prominent, indeed. Right up there with Nebraska, Florida, etc.

THEsocalledfan
03-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Were you in on the interview of the 3rd candidate as well?

Are you doubting the accuracy? As the other person said, check you history! And I still don't know who Kent St. is......

ndsubison1
03-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry, man, still not ringing a bell. They sound quite prominent, indeed. Right up there with Nebraska, Florida, etc.

Antonio Gates went there. Play in the Mac. Would be one of our rivals according to lakes

BlueBisonRock
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Are you doubting the accuracy? As the other person said, check you history! And I still don't know who Kent St. is......

Will this help?

Kent State University (http://www.kent.edu/)

Or for more 'cred' we have this site:

Wikipedia.org (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_University)

tjbison
03-26-2010, 06:59 PM

you know:

http://www.kennedystuff.com/real/images/kent.gif St.

Amused
03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Nielson promised to cheaply take them to the heights of mediocrity.

Taylor insisted on sound funding of athletics programs and facilities and planned on demanding excellence.

Am I doubting the accuracy of that statement from Kent State's perspective? Yes I am.

I am not doubting that it represents your opinion of the situation.

IzzyFlexion
03-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Check your history: May 4, 1970. Also, the song "Ohio" by Neil Young.

Fricken guard. 67 rounds. Four dead. C'mon.[/QUOTE]

Somethin's happe-nin' here.....
What it is ain't exactly clear......
There's a man with a gun over there.....
Tellin' me, I got to beware.
http://digitalrhetor.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kent-famousphoto.jpg

backpages
03-27-2010, 02:11 PM

"For What It's Worth" Written by Stephen Stills and recorded by Buffalo Springfield which included Neil Young

KC Bison
03-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry but the songs and the picture only explain why we should know about Kent State but nothing to explain why someone would go there as an athletic director. I think they had a good bball team once upon a time but don't remember anything else about their athletic teams. BTW, when I see K-State, I keep thinking your talking about Kansas State, not Kent state.

THEsocalledfan
03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Fricken guard. 67 rounds. Four dead. C'mon.

http://digitalrhetor.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kent-famousphoto.jpg[/QUOTE]

Was this the University where the guy got up in the tower and started off'ing students? That picture did look familiar. I did not read those other links...too many words.....

roadwarrior
03-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Was this the University where the guy got up in the tower and started off'ing students? That picture did look familiar. I did not read those other links...too many words.....

No, that was U of Texas.

bisoneer
04-02-2010, 04:55 AM
good god Gene what the heck are you doing??? Stay here, no more sandbagging I promise!

CaBisonFan
04-02-2010, 05:13 AM
http://digitalrhetor.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kent-famousphoto.jpg

Was this the University where the guy got up in the tower and started off'ing students? That picture did look familiar. I did not read those other links...too many words.....[/quote]

It's the University where students were killed during a Vietnam War demonstration. A huge police force was brought in...something elevated the level of anxiety...and shots were fired. It's an outstanding institution that gets a bad rap because of this incident.

KC Bison
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I remember it being the National Guard that shot into the crowd. I think the students were trying to provoke some type of reaction but they certainly didn't want "4 dead in Ohio".

backpages
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund: On this day in 1970, four college students at Kent State in Ohio are killed by National Guardsmen during a violent anit-war demonstration on campus. FYI

KC Bison
05-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I guess this is thread drift but I came on this newspaper report today, which I thought was interesting. Granted the paper is conservative but it does ask interesting questions.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/04/new-light-shed-on-kent-state-killings/

SDbison
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I guess this is thread drift but I came on this newspaper report today, which I thought was interesting. Granted the paper is conservative but it does ask interesting questions.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/04/new-light-shed-on-kent-state-killings/
Every US citizen has a right to peacefully protest. That is not what happened at Kent State.