PDA

View Full Version : UND Hockey and UND fans

BeckerBison
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Until last night, I had not seen a UND sports team in live action for ~10 years. I went to the Final Five championship game at the Xcel Energy Center which had UND playing St. Cloud State. I had forgotten how much I dislike UND and their fans.

sambini
03-21-2010, 03:08 PM
They must of had a lot of them there?

4mcruenomore
03-21-2010, 03:38 PM
My thoughts are this, St Cloud is Division II Northern Sun Conference same as U of Mary. I can't stand all of the "we are DI talk" all of the time. Most of the WCHA is DII. UND acts like they have been DI the whole time in everything. Not sure if that makes sense, but that is what annoys me.

tjbison
03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
My thoughts are this, St Cloud is Division II Northern Sun Conference same as U of Mary. I can't stand all of the "we are DI talk" all of the time. Most of the WCHA is DII. UND acts like they have been DI the whole time in everything. Not sure if that makes sense, but that is what annoys me.

10 teams in the WCHA, 3 are full DI (Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin) 1 in Transition (UND), 5 DII ( Minnesota State, Michigan Tech, Duluth, St. Cloud, Alaska-Anchorage) 1 DIII (Colorado College)

so yes its basically a DII conference

backpages
03-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Like them or not that was great hockey being played the way hockey is meant to be played. I salute the Sioux and wish them well at the next level.

ndsubison1
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
hockey sucks

Mr. Burgundy
03-21-2010, 05:19 PM
hockey sucks

I was in Vegas since Wednesday morning. I NEVER saw one person wearing a hockey shirt. Not ONE line in a sports book, not ONE TV on a hockey game. Not NHL and not NCAA hockey. It is a regional niche sport that some people in this region follow. I actually had this conversation with a lady on the plane, she told me that she like anyone who UND was playing....I knew we would get along.

lakesbison
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
My 3 best friends are SCSU fans and my former high school has 2 players playing for SCSU. that being said, those 3 and my brother who has season tickets for gopher hockey were at the games and came away saying "those fans are like packer fans, cept they are arrogantly annoying"

Wanting to fight, talking smack, and just plain ignorant.

Plus, I was at Bismarck BWWS and there was 2 tv's on the wcha hockey and 16 tv's on the NCAA basketball and MORE people watching CLASS B basketball.... but the 12-15 drunken idiots in kelly green drove everyone out of there when the class B game was over.

Ha ha . 1% of the country cares about hockey, 99% cares about NCAA basketball.

aces1180
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
10 teams in the WCHA, 3 are full DI (Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin) 1 in Transition (UND), 5 DII ( Minnesota State, Michigan Tech, Duluth, St. Cloud, Alaska-Anchorage) 1 DIII (Colorado College)

Add Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha next year and its 7 DII programs.

lakesbison
03-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Laughable teams in this:

RIT?
No. Michigan
alaska fairbanks
alabama huntsville
bemidji state??

those are D2 and D3 schools, hilarious. and all games on on espn syndacation or espnu. ha ha. losers.

1-Denver vs. 4-RIT, 2 p.m. Friday, ESPNU

2-Cornell vs. 3-New Hampshire, 5:30 p.m. Friday, ESPNU

Championship -- 5:30 p.m. Saturday, ESPNU

ST. PAUL -- WEST REGIONAL

2-St. Cloud State vs. 3-Northern Michigan, 4:30 p.m. Friday, ESPNU syndication

1-Wisconsin vs. 4-Vermont, 8 p.m. Friday, ESPNU

Championship -- 8 p.m. Saturday, ESPNU

WORCESTER -- NORTHEAST REGIONAL

1-Boston College vs. 4-Alaska Fairbanks, 12:30 p.m. Saturday, ESPN syndication

2-North Dakota vs. 3-Yale, 4 p.m. Saturday, ESPN syndication

Championship -- 4:30 p.m. Sunday, ESPNU

FORT WAYNE, IND. -- MIDWEST REGIONAL

1-Miami vs. 4-Alabama Huntsville, 3 p.m. Saturday, ESPNU

2-Bemidji State vs. 3-Michigan, 6:30 p.

unbison
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
teh und sueies suckometer is topped out

onbison09
03-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Like them or not that was great hockey being played the way hockey is meant to be played. I salute the Sioux and wish them well at the next level.

They're my pick to win it. I wouldn't mind them so much if it wasn't for Hakstol.

coldspot
03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/YaleBulldogs.png

anybody else getting on the yale bandwagon for this weekend?

Shawn-O
03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm exhausted after a hell of a weekend. Great hockey at St.Paul and got to see Jake and UNI take out Kansas at McGovern's.

onbison09
03-21-2010, 10:08 PM

OK but if we had the hockey program the roles would be reversed. :hide:

tjbison
03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
OK but if we had the hockey program the roles would be reversed. :hide:

Not for me, I am not a hockey fan

MNLonghorn10
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
und always seems to pack the house at the final five. ive been to about 5 of them, und's been there everytime and they are up there with minnesota who brings hte most fans. i dont know if und has that big of a hockey fan base in the cities or that many people from fargo/grand forks make the trek..but its impressive.

that said i hope they lose their first game. i can hardly stand my bro in law sue alum right now :D

aces1180
03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/YaleBulldogs.png

anybody else getting on the yale bandwagon for this weekend?

Bemidji State Beavers!

80ALUM
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I was at an establishment over the weekend that had all but one TV on either NCAA bb or the state b tournament. No one was paying the least bit of attention to the TV with hockey on until they won then they were all Sioux fans. They are fair weather fans and obnoxious ones to boot. They expect everyone to cheer for them when they win but avoid the topic if they are losing. Sioux and their fans suck!

Grizzled
03-21-2010, 11:07 PM
I was at an establishment over the weekend that had all but one TV on either NCAA bb or the state b tournament. No one was paying the least bit of attention to the TV with hockey on until they won then they were all Sioux fans. They are fair weather fans and obnoxious ones to boot. They expect everyone to cheer for them when they win but avoid the topic if they are losing. Sioux and their fans suck!

Thats funny cause I was at 3 different establishments Thurs., Friday and Saturday and they where all packed with fans who where into the game. I just wanted to have a beer or two and watch some basketball but the bars where taken over by hockey fans and I didn't even do BWW as that is always packed with hockey fans on weekends and I knew what that was going to be like after making one trip through the lot on Friday night.

I have never heard anyone call Sioux hockey fans fair weather. They may be for other sports but you'd be hard pressed to find a fan base that travels better for hockey.

80ALUM
03-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Thats funny cause I was at 3 different establishments Thurs., Friday and Saturday and they where all packed with fans who where into the game. I just wanted to have a beer or two and watch some basketball but the bars where taken over by hockey fans and I didn't even do BWW as that is always packed with hockey fans on weekends and I knew what that was going to be like after making one trip through the lot on Friday night.

I have never heard anyone call Sioux hockey fans fair weather. They may be for other sports but you'd be hard pressed to find a fan base that travels better for hockey.

Well until they won their last 12 games they couldn't give tickets away at the Alerus Center. Most of their fans are there for the beer. Most of the students at the games couldn't tell you one thing about the game of hockey. The people I know well who are UND alum only mention the games they win.

lakesbison
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
longhorn. of course they will drive 5 hours to the cities, the cites is like VEGAS or NEW YORK compared to grand forks.

Yes, und fans arent fair weather, they are like PACKER fans, nothing more in their lives cept canadian college hockey with D2 and D3 teams in their NATIONAL tourney like Alabama huntsville, Alaska Fairbanks, RIT?? Bemidji?? yea, those are your peers grand forks, enjoy.

NorthernBison
03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Well until they won their last 12 games they couldn't give tickets away at the Alerus Center. Most of their fans are there for the beer. Most of the students at the games couldn't tell you one thing about the game of hockey. The people I know well who are UND alum only mention the games they win.

Sorry, you totally lost me with that one.

MNLonghorn10
03-22-2010, 12:27 AM

eh we were at bdubs south in fargo on thursday night and had a whole huge tv to ourselves for texas/wake forest game. there were a ton of sue hockey fans that got the audio and like 10 other tvs for und/umd hockey. didnt bother me too much tho

BeckerBison
03-22-2010, 12:31 AM
If the Big Ten adds a hockey school (Notre Dame – not likely) would they bring back a Big 10 hockey conference? That would give them at least six teams (MN, WI, MI, MI State, OH, & the new school). Then the WCHA could change their name to the NCC.

NorthernBison
03-22-2010, 12:37 AM
UND hockey fans are passionate and they show up in droves for every home game. They also travel as well, or better, than any other program. Like any fanbase, they have levelheaded reasonable fans and some total idiots. Anything sounding familar here?

I wouldn't be a true Bison if I didn't add one criticism though. If I could make one generalization about UND hockey fans it would be that they share the same hatred of anything "Gopher" that many NDSU fans carry. I think a big part of that is an overpowering fear that the Gophers might just have some success when UND stumbles. That's why knocking the Gophers out of the playoffs was so satisfying to them. No fear that the Gopher fans might be able to taunt them for at least another year.

We have a few of our fans who should maybe examine their own motives when it comes to "Gopher bashing" because it rears its ugly head occasionally.

MNLonghorn10
03-22-2010, 12:42 AM
UND hockey fans are passionate and they show up in droves for every home game. They also travel as well, or better, than any other program. Like any fanbase, they have levelheaded reasonable fans and some total idiots. Anything sounding familar here?

I wouldn't be a true Bison if I didn't add one criticism though. If I could make one generalization about UND hockey fans it would be that they share the same hatred of anything "Gopher" that many NDSU fans carry. I think a big part of that is an overpowering fear that the Gophers might just have some success when UND stumbles. That's why knocking the Gophers out of the playoffs was so satisfying to them. No fear that the Gopher fans might be able to taunt them for at least another year.

We have a few of our fans who should maybe examine their own motives when it comes to "Gopher bashing" because it rears its ugly head occasionally.
what are the gophers going to taunt them with? the programs sucked the past x amount of years, and und has national title bragging rights.

NDSUstudent
03-22-2010, 12:52 AM

I don't think NDSU's fans feelings about Minnesota are remotely close to how UND fans feel about them. Some NDSU fans seem to hate Minnesota, I have no idea why, but I know a lot of Bison fans who are also Gopher fans.

4mcruenomore
03-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Is there anything else but DI hockey? So if Minot state gets hockey, they are going to be DI, if U of Mary gets Hockey (and it's been talked about), they would be DI. To me, that = joke. And no, if we had hockey, I wouldn't be bragging about playing DII schools.

NDSUstudent
03-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Is there anything else but DI hockey? So if Minot state gets hockey, they are going to be DI, if U of Mary gets Hockey (and it's been talked about), they would be DI. To me, that = joke. And no, if we had hockey, I wouldn't be bragging about playing DII schools.

There is DIII hockey, not sure if they allow teams to slide down into the level and play though if they are a DII school.

DjKyRo
03-22-2010, 01:23 AM

This. Very impressive competing with DII and DIII talent alongside one or two big schools in a sport that is otherwise followed only regionally.

Grizzled
03-22-2010, 01:30 AM

Their athletic department should get an award if they are able to give away tickets to the Alerus during hockey season.

NorthernBison
03-22-2010, 02:12 AM
what are the gophers going to taunt them with? the programs sucked the past x amount of years, and und has national title bragging rights.

Gophers won titles in 2002 and 2003 so twice since the last time UND won a title. UND does own more titles (7?) vs the Gopher's 5 titles.

I'm simply saying that UND fans seem to take an overly gleeful joy anytime the Gophers come up short. Now, maybe that's because they are tired of Gopher fans acting all superior and maybe it's a bit of a "Little Brother" complex. I'd choose the second if I wanted to make a UND fan mad.

How else do you explain the Holy Cross jerseys?

onbison09
03-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Gophers won titles in 2002 and 2003 so twice since the last time UND won a title. UND does own more titles (7?) vs the Gopher's 5 titles.

I'm simply saying that UND fans seem to take an overly gleeful joy anytime the Gophers come up short. Now, maybe that's because they are tired of Gopher fans acting all superior and maybe it's a bit of a "Little Brother" complex. I'd choose the second if I wanted to make a UND fan mad.

How else do you explain the Holy Cross jerseys?

As a Gopher hockey fan I agree with that. However you can't argue who's been the better program the past few years, UND.

WYOBISONMAN
03-22-2010, 06:31 AM
What? The Big Dance is going on.....who gives a shit about this minor sport....

Shawn-O
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
What? The Big Dance is going on.....who gives a shit about this minor sport....

Well this thread has expanded to four pages...;)

Facts
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Man! The NCAA has been awesome so far! UNI, Murray State, ODU, StMary's... You gotta love the upsets! Goodbye Kansas. The Bison, with a functional big man could have pulled it out last year. One or two players... take away only five of Aldrich's points and score five of their own. Cue music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEE3ycDH9_8&feature=fvw

Tatanka
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Well this thread has expanded to four pages...;)

Good luck to the UND Hockey Team in the tournament. Go beat you some cake eaters!

OK. Carry on.

MNLonghorn10
03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
und's lucky they avoid boston college

WYOBISONMAN
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Man! The NCAA has been awesome so far! UNI, Murray State, ODU, StMary's... You gotta love the upsets! Goodbye Kansas. The Bison, with a functional big man could have pulled it out last year. One or two players... take away only five of Aldrich's points and score five of their own. Cue music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEE3ycDH9_8&feature=fvw

Except my bracket has turned to garbage......:(

DjKyRo
03-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Except my bracket has turned to garbage......:(

everybody's bracket is garbage, if it makes you feel better. :)

Green-N-Gold
03-23-2010, 03:44 PM
most everybody's bracket is garbage, if it makes you feel better. :)

Fixed it ;)

skolbrother
03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
This thread frustrates me so bad. I am as big of a Bison fan as there is, I love Bison athletics. That said, I also love hockey, grew up playing hoops (ND class B starter, who the eff cares right) and after being around hockey I can barely watch BB. But I do not bash the sport. I dont enjoy soccer but I dont bash the whole sport.
This is the very attitude we would piss on if someone from U. of Minnesota belittled winning an FCS title.
Hockey is a fantastic sport and many find it very enjoyable. If it is not for you why rag on it, it almost seems to me there is some jealousy.?!
Yep, my boys play hockey and I admire the skill and hard work it requires. I love the speed of the game,so its not for you get over it. You hate the Sioux, fine. I do as well... in every sport but hockey.
Call me what you will but I grew up in ND and I hate the Gophers and love college hockey, what you do, I'd love to be cheering for Bison hockey but many have made it abundantly clear let UND have hockey! Ok, so they have hockey and those that enjoy this regional niche sport are forced to find a team they and their kids can cheer for.

onbison09
03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
This thread frustrates me so bad. I am as big of a Bison fan as there is, I love Bison athletics. That said, I also love hockey, grew up playing hoops (ND class B starter, who the eff cares right) and after being around hockey I can barely watch BB. But I do not bash the sport. I dont enjoy soccer but I dont bash the whole sport.
This is the very attitude we would piss on if someone from U. of Minnesota belittled winning an FCS title.
Hockey is a fantastic sport and many find it very enjoyable. If it is not for you why rag on it, it almost seems to me there is some jealousy.?!
Yep, my boys play hockey and I admire the skill and hard work it requires. I love the speed of the game,so its not for you get over it. You hate the Sioux, fine. I do as well... in every sport but hockey.
Call me what you will but I grew up in ND and I hate the Gophers and love college hockey, what you do, I'd love to be cheering for Bison hockey but many have made it abundantly clear let UND have hockey! Ok, so they have hockey and those that enjoy this regional niche sport are forced to find a team they and their kids can cheer for.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BisoninNWMN
03-27-2010, 02:46 AM

Good post.

I would much rather watch the Frozen 4 compared to the Final 4. Hockey is much more of an exciting sport.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

tjbison
03-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Good post.

I would much rather watch the Frozen 4 compared to the Final 4. Hockey is much more of an exciting sport.

You must not be watching the UNI MSU game right now!!! Great game;)

I'm just stirring the pot a little:D

North Side
03-27-2010, 04:34 AM
ugh.... UND fans.....

DIBISON
03-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Good post.

I disagree. Nothing beats DI March Madness, the Kansas St & Xavier 2 OT game was great. What about the Northern Iowa & Michigan St. game tonight?

Hockey is boring, low scoring and wasted time. But that is just my opinion.

Oh yes, didn't some college named RTI beat Denver in hockey to make the Frozen 8?? What is RTI and have fun watching them.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-27-2010, 06:43 AM
So a few of us are at BWW tonight have both college basketball games on 2 different big screens these are the 2nd round of games duke/purdue and mich st/uni I've been there since before 6 and had these 2 tvs called for. Well a few tvs got wisconsin vs vermont hockey game on there's 1:12 left of the 2nd period a UND fan walks over to a BWW waiter/waitress to have them take off one of our tvs to have a hockey game on and there's a big screen with the hockey game on which is in their viewing area quite easily. They then started making fun of us and giving us crap for whatever reason. I respond with you got 1 min left of this period then 20 minutes of nothing that really pissed them off somehow. The waiter points to them that they have 2 tvs right next to them with the hockey game on and they were still pissed about it. The BWW people basically shut them up and they were still talking about it. As they kept talking a person with us yells out "GO BIG RED" after Cornell played the game before. 5 minutes after the 2nd period of that hockey game was over those guys bounced, seemed pretty mad but whatever. Our waitress basically said she wouldn't have it turned to hockey on the 2 big screens we had for one we requested them. So to you UND fans...HAHA hope you had a safe drive home!

ndsubison1
03-27-2010, 07:37 AM
So a few of us are at BWW tonight have both college basketball games on 2 different big screens these are the 2nd round of games duke/purdue and mich st/uni I've been there since before 6 and had these 2 tvs called for. Well a few tvs got wisconsin vs vermont hockey game on there's 1:12 left of the 2nd period a UND fan walks over to a BWW waiter/waitress to have them take off one of our tvs to have a hockey game on and there's a big screen with the hockey game on which is in their viewing area quite easily. They then started making fun of us and giving us crap for whatever reason. I respond with you got 1 min left of this period then 20 minutes of nothing that really pissed them off somehow. The waiter points to them that they have 2 tvs right next to them with the hockey game on and they were still pissed about it. The BWW people basically shut them up and they were still talking about it. As they kept talking a person with us yells out "GO BIG RED" after Cornell played the game before. 5 minutes after the 2nd period of that hockey game was over those guys bounced, seemed pretty mad but whatever. Our waitress basically said she wouldn't have it turned to hockey on the 2 big screens we had for one we requested them. So to you UND fans...HAHA hope you had a safe drive home!

The amazing part is that this all seemed to happen while I was in the bathroom LOL

NorthernBison
03-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I disagree. Nothing beats DI March Madness, the Kansas St & Xavier 2 OT game was great. What about the Northern Iowa & Michigan St. game tonight?

Hockey is boring, low scoring and wasted time. But that is just my opinion.

Oh yes, didn't some college named RTI beat Denver in hockey to make the Frozen 8?? What is RTI and have fun watching them.

Get this: When the hockey brackets came out, I saw RIT and thought, "Who the heck is that?". I googled it and found out about the school. I was shocked to see that they have over 13,000 undergrads and about 3,000 grad students. They offer 24 varsity sports (Wow). The catch? 22 of them are DIII sports. DIII??? Please. No wonder I have never heard of the place.

Actually hockey is very entertaining (St. Cloud winning in 2OT's last night was a great game) but anybody trying to say it is better sports viewing than the Big Dance cannot be taken seriously.

IzzyFlexion
03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
The amazing part is that this all seemed to happen while I was in the bathroom LOL

I you hadn't been thinking about baseball stats, you'd have been done in time to see most of it.:D

tjbison
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Get this: When the hockey brackets came out, I saw RIT and thought, "Who the heck is that?". I googled it and found out about the school. I was shocked to see that they have over 13,000 undergrads and about 3,000 grad students. They offer 24 varsity sports (Wow). The catch? 22 of them are DIII sports. DIII??? Please. No wonder I have never heard of the place.

Actually hockey is very entertaining (St. Cloud winning in 2OT's last night was a great game) but anybody trying to say it is better sports viewing than the Big Dance cannot be taken seriously.

When is the DII.5 Championship, its been lost in all the Basketball tourney's:hide: ;)

Facts
03-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Let me first say that I empathize with what you've posted. I used to walk the same road... "hating in every sport but hockey". I've since seen the light. I was raised in a passionate NDSU family, but we lived in ND hockey country (enemy territory). I've played the game (1st generation), coached the game, and if I live somewhere that offers the sport, my kids will play it... It is the greatest sport on earth IMHO. That said, I know my sport's place, I know my sport's accessibility, and I know that it's true, 99% of the world does not understand hockey or care to do so. I wish this were reversed, and my diehard hockey buddies would call this blasphemy, but they're really just in denial. Therefore, I do not subscribe to the BS out of GF that influences this regions hockey niche group so heavily... and that BS is that hockey is the biggest thing since sliced bread. It may be so in GF or for about 25% of people who attended UND, but honestly... that's about it.

Now for part II of this post. You say you are forced to find a team for your kids to cheer for... and the way I understand your post, that team is UND. Sounds like an obvious local choice, but you've been brainwashed by the glimmer my friend. If I were you I'd promote my kids to be fans of their local high school hockey team. That's where they will more than likely play and by creating a buzz about the high school team you also promote pride and desire to make that team better in the future. Where I'm from it is the dream of every youth player to done the town's uni. At the college level, you and your kids don't have to cheer for UND. As a bison fan, any school's program is a better choice. Go with Bemidji St... up and coming program, soon to have a nice new rink, and fairly local as well.

My point is this: A Bison divided against himself cannot stand. Therefore, I will not support the local, dominant university with any following or money at their arena. I will hate them with a passion. I will support NDSU's sports teams, because it is best for NDSU.

Mr. Burgundy
03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I just finished watching 9 straight hours of ESPN. Still trying to find out when hockey season starts.

Skolbrother....love the post bro.

JackJD
03-27-2010, 04:06 PM
...I know that it's true, 99% of the world does not understand hockey or care to do so....

So true. I'm one of the 99%. I've tried hard to pay attention and understand why when the puck crosses a certain line the refs blow whistles and yet, moments later, it appears the same thing happens and no whistles blow. Is it because in the second instance, the ref was watching someone get punched in the face and was distracted? ;)

I have to admit that hockey fans set the example for rabid loyalty and I like loyalty. And, I also admit to a certain fascination with watching top-notch high school hockey (as in the Minnesota State tournament) when the teams are totally concentrating on getting the puck past the goalie and there's very little extra-curriculars going on.

80ALUM
03-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Let me first say that I empathize with what you've posted. I used to walk the same road... "hating in every sport but hockey". I've since seen the light. I was raised in a passionate NDSU family, but we lived in ND hockey country (enemy territory). I've played the game (1st generation), coached the game, and if I live somewhere that offers the sport, my kids will play it... It is the greatest sport on earth IMHO. That said, I know my sport's place, I know my sport's accessibility, and I know that it's true, 99% of the world does not understand hockey or care to do so. I wish this were reversed, and my diehard hockey buddies would call this blasphemy, but they're really just in denial. Therefore, I do not subscribe to the BS out of GF that influences this regions hockey niche group so heavily... and that BS is that hockey is the biggest thing since sliced bread. It may be so in GF or for about 25% of people who attended UND, but honestly... that's about it.

Now for part II of this post. You say you are forced to find a team for your kids to cheer for... and the way I understand your post, that team is UND. Sounds like an obvious local choice, but you've been brainwashed by the glimmer my friend. If I were you I'd promote my kids to be fans of their local high school hockey team. That's where they will more than likely play and by creating a buzz about the high school team you also promote pride and desire to make that team better in the future. Where I'm from it is the dream of every youth player to done the town's uni. At the college level, you and your kids don't have to cheer for UND. As a bison fan, any school's program is a better choice. Go with Bemidji St... up and coming program, soon to have a nice new rink, and fairly local as well.

My point is this: A Bison divided against himself cannot stand. Therefore, I will not support the local, dominant university with any following or money at their arena. I will hate them with a passion. I will support NDSU's sports teams, because it is best for NDSU.

Reps to you.

EndZoneQB
03-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I have to admit that hockey fans set the example for rabid loyalty and I like loyalty. And, I also admit to a certain fascination with watching top-notch high school hockey (as in the Minnesota State tournament) when the teams are totally concentrating on getting the puck past the goalie and there's very little extra-curriculars going on.

I like one type of hockey: Minnesota high school hockey. I don't really enjoy NHL, college, or even the Force. Just seems boring to me compared to HS hockey...especially Moorhead. Olympic hockey was a lot of fun this year, tho.

DjKyRo
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I like pro hockey just fine and played a bit in high school, but college hockey is just uninteresting IMO.

ndsubison1
03-27-2010, 09:22 PM
1-0 Yale.

Worlds Strongest Man and LSU spring game on ESPN/ESPN2 over College Hockey

tjbison
03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
1-0 Yale.

Worlds Strongest Man and LSU spring game on ESPN/ESPN2 over College Hockey

Well there are more people still in the tailgate lot than attend the whole College Hockey post season, so this isn't surprising

onbison09
03-27-2010, 11:02 PM
I like one type of hockey: Minnesota high school hockey. I don't really enjoy NHL, college, or even the Force. Just seems boring to me compared to HS hockey...especially Moorhead. Olympic hockey was a lot of fun this year, tho.

How can you not like Stanley Cup playoff hockey if you like hockey at all? Not flaming, just wondering.

Gilley
03-27-2010, 11:06 PM
So true. I'm one of the 99%. I've tried hard to pay attention and understand why when the puck crosses a certain line the refs blow whistles and yet, moments later, it appears the same thing happens and no whistles blow. Is it because in the second instance, the ref was watching someone get punched in the face and was distracted? ;)

Because the refs in basketball are so consistant with the calls they make??

MN_BISON
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Just flipped over to FSN and the Sioux are making a comeback, down 3-0 and within a few minutes they have cut the lead down to 3-2. Oh yeah, no one is in the arena. This is like their version of the sweet 16 right, quite a different feel than what I watched on CBS last night. Hmm, CBS vs FSN for NCAA tournament coverage, which sport is more popular again? And for the love of Wayne Gretzky, what is RIT? Oh well, for those of you who love it, good for you.

EndZoneQB
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
How can you not like Stanley Cup playoff hockey if you like hockey at all? Not flaming, just wondering.

First of all, where do I even find that on TV? It's easier for me to find Moorhead High on TV than the NHL, other than the Wild maybe. NHL just bores me I guess, it is better in person tho...it's a decent live experience.

Because the refs in basketball are so consistant with the calls they make??

He's saying he doesn't understand the rules, not that the refs are inconsistent...just poking fun at them.

Tatanka
03-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Congratulations to UND on their fine season. See you next year.

Mr. Burgundy
03-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Did UND really lose? I honestly don't know.

roadwarrior
03-28-2010, 12:25 AM

Yep, the Forum has it posted now. What will Hammer talk about now?

tjbison
03-28-2010, 12:26 AM

yeah I wonder!!!:smh:

Mr. Burgundy
03-28-2010, 12:58 AM

Twins bullpen
Vikings need for a stadium (casino)
IUPUI coaching staff
NCAA Hockey brackets
Fargo Force

NDSUFan_Sav
03-28-2010, 01:01 AM

yes to Yale....HAHAHAHAHA

unbison
03-28-2010, 01:05 AM
lets quit talking about teh blunderbust school to the north please:banghead:

WYOBISONMAN
03-28-2010, 12:48 PM
What are you guys talking about?? All I know is Butler played one hell of a game yesterday. Wow.....if we could ever get into the Horizon League it would be sweet.

tjbison
03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
What are you guys talking about?? All I know is Butler played one hell of a game yesterday. Wow.....if we could ever get into the Horizon League it would be sweet.

I think the MVC would be nice too!!;)

Gilley
03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
yes to Yale....HAHAHAHAHA

The top scoring offense in the NCAA and only team to average 4 goals a game... So not that big of a suprise to see them have trouble with Yale...

NDSUFan_Sav
03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
The top scoring offense in the NCAA and only team to average 4 goals a game... So not that big of a suprise to see them have trouble with Yale...

but it sounds funny :D

ndsubison1
03-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Well, at least UND has better academics than Yale

Tatanka
03-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Hey, at least they have hoc....

Oh. My bad.

DjKyRo
03-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey, at least they have hoc....

Oh. My bad.

Anyone realize the subtle innuendo in the rep-fail message? "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to _____ again."

I'm sure you're a nice guy Tatanka but....uck.

Gilley
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
but it sounds funny :D

Yeah it does sound different to hear, can't argue there :)

Bisonguy
03-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Weren't they considered the Harvard of the Prairie* according to Kupchella?

* The 'Prairie' consists of the region along I-29 bounded by the Thompson, ND and the Manvel, ND exits.

DjKyRo
03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Weren't they considered the Harvard of the Prairie* according to Kupchella?

* The 'Prairie' consists of the region along I-29 bounded by the Thompson, ND and the Manvel, ND exits.

I've heard that same phrase used to describe Bismarck State College. Perhaps more fitting competition, now that I think about it. :nod:

aces1180
03-31-2010, 12:22 AM
I've heard that same phrase used to describe Bismarck State College. Perhaps more fitting competition, now that I think about it. :nod:

Harvard on teh Hill!

DjKyRo
03-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Harvard on teh Hill!

BSC: Bring Some Crayons.

Notorious
04-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Who do the sioux play tomorrow anyway?...isn't it down to the frozen four?

IzzyFlexion
04-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Who do the sioux play tomorrow anyway?...isn't it down to the frozen four?

I believe they play "Plastic Russia" in a best of 5 series at the student union.
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/ICE/ICE1009_l.jpg

Shawn-O
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I believe they play "Plastic Russia" in a best of 5 series at the student union.
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/ICE/ICE1009_l.jpg

This made me smile. :D

TheBisonator
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Hmmm... UND or Communists?? Who do I cheer for???.....

What do you think, comrade??

tjbison
09-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Can't believe the hockey fans are not all over this. I could see this coming

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/291114/group/homepage/

rustywallace
09-15-2010, 01:08 AM
I dont think they really care that much

UND hockey fans think everyone needs und and und doesnt need anyone to survive.

I imagine they would be fine but other smaller schools need that extra revenue from one of the big 3 (und, UW, and UM) come to town now they will jsut have one of those coming

heckler
09-15-2010, 01:12 AM
“If a Big Ten league does happen, we’d still be interested in scheduling teams that we’ve been playing for so many years, like UMD and St. Cloud State,” Lucia said.

That is a little funny

NorthernBison
09-15-2010, 01:21 AM
The comment from Lucia omitting UND probably wasn't a total accident. If there is a Big 10 Conference, I believe that there will be plenty of political pressure in Minnesota for UM to schedule UMD, SCSU, Mankato, and even Bemidji. UND might not make the schedule as much as some would believe. When budgets are tight, the draw for these games will be important to the schools involved.

Bison bison
09-15-2010, 01:26 AM
There will only be 6 teams in the BTHC. UND Hockey* will be fine.

*Please don't forget that UND has hockey. It is very important to remember.

Hammersmith
09-15-2010, 01:34 AM
The only funny thing is that a few siouxsports posters want to tear the WCHA apart because they don't want to be left with the remaining MN schools. Too small-time for them.

tjbison
09-15-2010, 01:36 AM
The only funny thing is that a few siouxsports posters want to tear the WCHA apart because they don't want to be left with the remaining MN schools. Too small-time for them.

Their DI hockey just fell to a DII league:rofl: :rofl:

rustywallace
09-15-2010, 02:01 AM
The comment from Lucia omitting UND probably wasn't a total accident. If there is a Big 10 Conference, I believe that there will be plenty of political pressure in Minnesota for UM to schedule UMD, SCSU, Mankato, and even Bemidji. UND might not make the schedule as much as some would believe. When budgets are tight, the draw for these games will be important to the schools involved.

Actually if I was lucia, I wouldnt schedule the sue. They have some horrible record against them like 4 wins in the last 22 games. But they still have hockey haha.

I was talking to a friend who suggested that UND may be like the ND of hockey and go independent. UND already is probably the biggest program that actually travels half the time for road games in non conference action i believe.

onbison09
09-15-2010, 02:38 AM
Honestly no BS, UND could make it independent. It would be harder but it could be done. Also that's really stupid for them to trash the WCHA. It's been 1 of the best conferences in the nation bar none. Also as a Gopher hockey fan :hide: I hope this doesn't happen.

Tatanka
09-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if UND was added to teh Big Ten Hockey as an affiliate either. Seriously, with their arena and teh fanbase they will likely get a serious look.

If that doesn't happen though look out for some chafed orifaces downstream.

ndsubison1
09-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if UND was added to teh Big Ten Hockey as an affiliate either. Seriously, with their arena and teh fanbase they will likely get a serious look.

If that happens I expect them to boast quite a bit. "WERE IN THE BIG TEN! What are you in? The Summit, and MVFC are nothing on the Big Ten!"

:rolleyes:

TheBisonator
09-15-2010, 04:08 AM
If that happens I expect them to boast quite a bit. "WERE IN THE BIG TEN! What are you in? The Summit, and MVFC are nothing on the Big Ten!"

:rolleyes:

LOL, agreed

Kermit
09-15-2010, 04:19 AM
There are a lot of easy targets for smack in the UND athletic department. Hockey is not one of them.

zooropa
09-15-2010, 04:42 AM

I don't know if the Big Ten would go for that. The Big Ten doesn't have affiliates in any other sport, all of its members are in the AAU, and they are about the tightest knit conference in athletics. You can find fault with the comparative quality of their football lately, but they are the gold standard for athletic conferences.... I just don't see them adding UND as an affiliate.

BTW---Denver is the only other D-1 school in the WCHA if the Big Ten schools leave, right??

Bison Dan
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
One of the reasons the BTHC is being formed is those schools don't want to be in a conference with non-DI schools. UND will stay in the WCHA.

Grizzled
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
One of the reasons the BTHC is being formed is those schools don't want to be in a conference with non-DI schools. UND will stay in the WCHA.

If Minnesota had their choice they would easily choose to stay in the WCHA. They have said it many times. Wisconsin was fine with it the WCHA until the recent expansion.

WYOBISONMAN
09-15-2010, 12:55 PM

There will be no Big 10 affiliates in Hockey. The Penn State issue is a done deal and the WCHA and CCHA will no longer have the Big 10 schools after 2013 or 2014. The addition of too many directional D2 schools poisoned this for schools like Wisconsin. It was bad enough for them that UND was in a conference, but now schools like Bemidji State?!?!? Wisconsin did not like loosing to a school like UND, who they don't view as a peer institution as they are not Big 10, but now the risk of loosing to D2 Bemidji pushed the envelope too far.

The big schools are rather arrogant and see themselves as a cut above schools like us, UND and Bemidji State. And the funny thing is that year in and year out UND puts a better program on the ice than does Wisconsin.

Facts
09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
My opinion is this will probably be good for college hockey in general. Anytime a team gets added to a "D1" sport with only 58 teams it's a good thing, it's another team... another actual D1 team.

I did a break down once of the football affiliations of "D1" college hockey and the vast majority of the teams are DII, DIII, NAIA, or don't offer football. I don't remember exactly, but maybe 10 are FBS in football. Penn State is a big name school, good for recognition of a sport with a cult following.

While this may hurt some of the smaller programs who depend on the FBS football schools as their main home draws, I think Lucia's quote is very telling that with a 6 team conference, the supposed BTHC will continue to schedule local teams not affiliated with the Conference... they'll have to to complete a regular season schedule.

I don't think UND will be an affiliate member for reason's already stated.

Parting nugget: Does this open the door for conference affiliation in the WCHA or CCHA for Moorhead St?? I'd love to see that happen. More long-term competition for our sisters to the north.

WYOBISONMAN
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
And, MN will play UND every year. It is such a huge rivalry that the Gopher would be crazy to trash it. There is too much money at stake to loose it.

I am positive as long as Maturi is AD UND will continue on the schedule in hockey and with the name issue going away the Sioux and Gophers will play in other sports as well.

Bison bison
09-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I think this will hurt college hockey in general.

College hockey will consist of the BTHC and 'everybody else'.

The other/larger successful programs outside the BTHC will be fine, but many of the little guys find themselves in a lot of trouble.

Who wants to fly to Alaska or Alabama?

zooropa
09-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I am positive as long as Maturi is AD.

Oh. So until Thanksgiving or so.

80ALUM
09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
There are a lot of easy targets for smack in the UND athletic department. Hockey is not one of them.

I don't think anyone was smacking their hockey team but rather the fans. They are always fair game for smack.:nod:

WYOBISONMAN
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh. So until Thanksgiving or so.

MN will keep Maturi around. Things are not going well in football, but, Maturi was the guy that got the outdoor stadium built. And, the other Gopher programs are doing well. Tubby Smith and his BB team are well liked. Hockey is doing fine. Maturi will be around as long as he wants to stay working.

Now Brewster is another question entirely. He will be gone at seasons end.

Bison Dan
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
The big schools are rather arrogant and see themselves as a cut above schools like us, UND and Bemidji State. And the funny thing is that year in and year out UND puts a better program on the ice than does Wisconsin.

One reason sited (as the reason) is the smaller schools can put all their resources in hockey while Full DI schools usually fund more sports and fund them more.

zooropa
09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
MN will keep Maturi around. Things are not going well in football, but, Maturi was the guy that got the outdoor stadium built. And, the other Gopher programs are doing well. Tubby Smith and his BB team are well liked. Hockey is doing fine. Maturi will be around as long as he wants to stay working.

Meh. He had four finalists for a softball vacancy and all four turned him down.

And I wouldn't underestimate the impact of becoming the standing joke of BCS football on the guy who gave Brewster a 3 year extension.....

skolbrother
09-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Something to be considered is that all playoff revenue is put into a pool and split equally. When UND hosts Mich. Tech and draws 11,000 people per game and Mankato hosts Duluth and draws 3,500 per they take all the money put it in the middle and each gets an equal share. So...If you are the Big Ten to have an affilliate like UND and as crazy as this sounds Omaha with 16,000 person arena and split it 8 ways not a bad gig.
That is my understanding of the playoff revenue, someone correct me if I am missing something.

zooropa
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
If you are the Big Ten to have an affilliate like UND and as crazy as this sounds Omaha with 16,000 person arena and split it 8 ways not a bad gig.

Of course, from the Big Ten's perspective, they'll probably gross as much by the 2nd commercial break during the football championship as the WCHA grosses during the entire conference championship. I just don't see them watering down the Big Ten 'mystique' for 'chump change'. But then I guess I've said that already.....

Gully
09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
And, MN will play UND every year. It is such a huge rivalry that the Gopher would be crazy to trash it. There is too much money at stake to loose it.

I am positive as long as Maturi is AD UND will continue on the schedule in hockey and with the name issue going away the Sioux and Gophers will play in other sports as well.

maybe if the nickname issue is completely resolved but I noticed they didn't mentioned UND, they said SCSU and UMD.

Hammersmith
09-15-2010, 11:21 PM
maybe if the nickname issue is completely resolved but I noticed they didn't mentioned UND, they said SCSU and UMD.

The quote was given to a Duluth reporter. Had he been talking to a GF reporter, I'm sure UND would've been one of the schools listed.

siouxdgj
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM

I realize the Gopher football team took it on the chin Saturday to the Yotes. Nevertheless, I quite agree Maturi will still be around. For despite the attention football and basketball receive on the national level, take a look at the Directors' Cup standings from year to year. Minnesota finished 18th in Division I this past 2009-10 school year. Only Ohio State of the Big Ten finished higher than the Gophers. Gophers are pretty good in numerous other sports and have a well-balanced athletic program. I know that for some people there are really only two sports that really matter, that being football and basketball, and in that respect I really have no answer for them.

siouxdgj
09-15-2010, 11:32 PM

That certainly does appear to be the case with some posters, forgetting the rich history and tradition of the WCHA and its predecessors. I'm not really in favor of all this WCHA-bashing. Money talks, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Big Ten commissioner succeeds in being able to create a Big Ten hockey conference to provide more coverage of hockey on the Big Ten Network. Initially, if the Big Ten hockey conference is formed, it probably would not be good for college hockey overall. Nevertheless, when it comes to "sniffing the green," I think the money factor wins out.

zooropa
09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
take a look at the Directors' Cup standings from year to year.

Yeah, but in that respect Maturi is nothing more than a caretaker. They were a top 20 Director's Cup team before he came. They finished #14 the first year the cup was awarded, and 11th the year he was hired.

He can't take credit for the Goofs' performance in the Director's Cup.

However, he shares responsibility for the absolute tanking of their football program.

NDSUstudent
09-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Maturi won't be fired but he will probably retire in a few years.

Gully
09-16-2010, 02:11 AM
The quote was given to a Duluth reporter. Had he been talking to a GF reporter, I'm sure UND would've been one of the schools listed.

You might be right about that but I know the UofM said they wouldn't play UND in any sports except hockey and that was only because they were in the same conference so they were obligated. So if they're no longer in the same conference?????? Of course if the Sioux name goes away, so will the issue.

dmksioux
09-16-2010, 01:21 PM

I may be wrong, but my take is that Lucia mentioned SCSU and UMD because they are part of the MNSCU system. He was playing the political game because the Gopher games are big business for those smaller Minnesota schools. Will they continue games with UND, yes. Will it be every year...who knows?

WYOBISONMAN
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I may be wrong, but my take is that Lucia mentioned SCSU and UMD because they are part of the MNSCU system. He was playing the political game because the Gopher games are big business for those smaller Minnesota schools. Will they continue games with UND, yes. Will it be every year...who knows?

I would be very shocked if it was not every year. Too much money at stake to dump it.

Facts
09-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I would be very shocked if it was not every year. Too much money at stake to dump it.

It would be a big monetary hit for UND... but in all reality the Mariucci is a VERY nice arena and regardless of who the non-conf opponent is the draw will be very similar for a UND game or any other bigger name opponent (BC, BU, Maine, or any DII MNUS school (they travel well to the cities). People watch hockey at the cities for the same reasons as they watch hockey in GF... half the crowd has no clue what's going on, but they like the venue.

bisonmike2
09-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Too much money at stake for UND, but I wouldn't say Minnesota. Minnesota has sucked recently but I went to a Michigan Tech game last year on a Saturday afternoon and it was still packed. Minnesota can afford not to schedule UND, but I'm not sure UND can afford to not schedule Minnesota.

siouxdgj
09-16-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm rather inclined to agree.

siouxdgj
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Too much money at stake for UND, but I wouldn't say Minnesota. Minnesota has sucked recently but I went to a Michigan Tech game last year on a Saturday afternoon and it was still packed. Minnesota can afford not to schedule UND, but I'm not sure UND can afford to not schedule Minnesota.

For what it's worth, UND averages higher home attendance in men's hockey than the University of Minnesota, perhaps only because the Ralph seats more fannies.

aces1180
09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
For what it's worth, UND averages higher home attendance in men's hockey than the University of Minnesota, perhaps only because the Ralph seats more fannies.

It can't hurt that they also sell alcohol at the REA, but not at Gopher games, no?

siouxdgj
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
It can't hurt that they also sell alcohol at the REA, but not at Gopher games, no?

You're probably right. It can't hurt.

onbison09
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm guessing that's a big part.

EricB
09-17-2010, 02:16 AM

Being in the Duluth paper might have had something to do with it.

TransAmBison
09-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Something to be considered is that all playoff revenue is put into a pool and split equally. When UND hosts Mich. Tech and draws 11,000 people per game and Mankato hosts Duluth and draws 3,500 per they take all the money put it in the middle and each gets an equal share. So...If you are the Big Ten to have an affilliate like UND and as crazy as this sounds Omaha with 16,000 person arena and split it 8 ways not a bad gig.
That is my understanding of the playoff revenue, someone correct me if I am missing something.
You are missing one thing. Only full D-I universities get an equal share. D-II and D-III universities only get their travel expenses paid.

NorthernBison
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
You are missing one thing. Only full D-I universities get an equal share. D-II and D-III universities only get their travel expenses paid.

I think he was talking about the WCHA playoffs. That is split equally. It is also a big moneymaker for the league. If that's what he was referring to, he's not wrong.

You are correct about NCAA tournament revenues I believe.

Tatanka
09-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I think he was talking about the WCHA playoffs. That is split equally. It is also a big moneymaker for the league. If that's what he was referring to, he's not wrong.

You are correct about NCAA tournament revenues I believe.

++Absolutely correct about the NCAA tournament.