PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Jackson dropping football

jarhead
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
According to the Forum, Kevin Jackson is dropping FB to concentrate on track .

Hansel
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Adrian Peterson drops the football all the time ;)

BisonNeil
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
This is unfortunate. I had hoped that the great Michigan experiment would work but ony one is left from that first class from that state (Landingham).

With Jackson gone, that puts the attrition rate of scholarship players for the 2008 class at 41%. OUCH!!! Overall players signed and PWO, the attrition rate is 38%.

Fortunately, the 2007 class has some talent and the 2009 and 2010 class look good. However, as you all know, I think the success of a class is indelibly tied to the retention rate. Let's hope more stick in the last two classes.

The 2008 class also doesn't have a lot of guys making a difference on the field (Evans only so far), so the So (Jr in the case of Evans) class this fall is considerably less than stellar.

On the positive side, it makes room for the younger guys to step up.

DjKyRo
03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Shucks, I was looking forward to seeing K-jack get some playing time.

All the same, good luck in track! Bring home a few medals!

westnodak93bison
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I always worry about track guys playing FB. Some kids like to knock heads and some dont. Good luck to Kevin.

Herd
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
In thinking about what's best for bison athletics, I say good move Kevin. The track team will greatly benefit from your decison. Football will have to adjust, but Kevin will be a great track athlete for the next 3 years.

MONTANA_STATE_2003
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
According to the Forum, Kevin Jackson is dropping FB to concentrate on track .

I HAVE THAT UPDATE ON WES HUDSON THAT YOU GUYS WERE LOOKING FOR.
this has his 100m dash from this past weekend the kid has wheels http://tx.milesplit.us/meets/65514/results/113493 he also was on the 4x100m relay and high jump and long jump aslo the 4x200m

Bisonguy
03-02-2010, 02:14 AM
After seeing him at the Summit Championship this weekend, I can see why.

CaBisonFan
03-02-2010, 03:55 AM
In this middle ground called the FCS, we have to go beyond the normal recruiting trails to find some athletes...as you all know. I think that the culture/weather/distance-from-home shock gets to some of these guys.

We have to take some chances on this caliber of athlete in order to find the 'difference-maker' for a title run. Get the core from the tri-state area...and then roll the dice with a few guys each year. Again...obvious...all of this...but then the retention rate will be less than we'd like. I never saw Jake Miller play...but I wonder if we went after him seriously. I hated seeing him go to UND.

Not sure the FBS is any different for a lot of programs. I'd bet the transfer/departure rate is scary-bad at a lot of FBS schools. It would be an interesting study to find out how our conference friends do vs. us...and also some of the FBS programs in the northern tier.

Good luck Kevin.

NDSUmulligan
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
In this middle ground called the FCS, we have to go beyond the normal recruiting trails to find some athletes...as you all know. I think that the culture/weather/distance-from-home shock gets to some of these guys.

You're right about the culture and weather being reasons many athletes choose not to attend NDSU, and even why some of them may leave after a few semesters. With Jackson though, it was just a case of being a multi-sport athlete being spread too thin likely. Jackson excels in track, and felt like he wasn't being fair to himself or the football team by not focusing solely on one sport.

Tatanka
03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Looks like a student-athlete making a solid decision. kudos and good luck KJ.