PDA

View Full Version : Bob Huggins wants to destroy college basketball..

NDSUstudent
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
“We ought to do what football does and go to a Division 1-A and 1-AA,” he said.

At present there are 334 teams in Division 1, ranging from the Special Ks — Kentucky and Kansas — who are both 24-1 to poor, poor Marist, who is 1-25.

As far as the NCAA is concerned, they are all equals.

Huggins knows they are not, not in facilities, not in recruiting, not in philosophy.

http://timeswv.com/wvu_sports/x1720294154/HERTZEL-COLUMN-Huggins-wants-I-AA

tjbison
02-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, this would KILL FCS football, the MVC schools would jump to FBS or drop their FB programs entirely if this stupidity happend

NorthernBison
02-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Well, this would KILL FCS football, the MVC schools would jump to FBS or drop their FB programs entirely if this stupidity happend

He's not suggesting that football status be used to split basketball. He's saying take the top 110 basketball programs and make them the upper division and leave everybody else out. The talking heads on ESPN seemed to like his idea. I think it sucks.

tjbison
02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
He's not suggesting that football status be used to split basketball. He's saying take the top 110 basketball programs and make them the upper division and leave everybody else out. The talking heads on ESPN seemed to like his idea. I think it sucks.

I realize that but BBall makes more money than football at MOST FCS schools so it would force alot that get classified in the top 110 to either move up their FB or drop it

Shawn-O
02-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Maybe the big boys should just leave the NCAA all together and take out the middleman. Huggins wouldn't need to be hassled with such trivia as academics and graduation rates.

NorthernBison
02-25-2010, 01:15 AM
I realize that but BBall makes more money than football at MOST FCS schools so it would force alot that get classified in the top 110 to either move up their FB or drop it

I think we're both probably looking at it wrong. I didn't research it but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't 110 BB programs in the so-called big conferences. I doubt if he is including mid-majors like the MVC in his plan. Sucks anyway.

ndsubison1
02-25-2010, 02:33 AM
March Madness is all about the cinderellas!

Grizzled
02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
March Madness is all about the cinderellas!

It won't be if they up it to 96 teams. Thats going to make it much harder for the Cinderellas to do anything when they have to play eachother in the first rounds and it eliminates half the teams who could be that special team. College basketball major conferences are doing whatever they can to seperate themselves from the pack. And I wouldn't be suprised if the scenario that Shawn mentioned happens where the top 110 tell the NCAA to take a hike and form their own conference and to be honest with the NCAA trying to suck every nickel it can out of everything I really wouldn't blame those schools. This would absolutely suck if it happened though.

Herd
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm sure if Bob Huggins says so, it's a done deal. Let's all start jumping off buildings.

bisonaudit
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Mr. President, militant women are out to destroy college football in this country.

MICHAEL DOUGLAS, ACTOR: Is that a fact?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, sir. Have you been following the situation down in Atlanta?

DOUGLAS: No.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: These women want parity for girl‘s softball, volleyball, field hockey—

DOUGLAS: If I‘m not mistaken, Gil, the courts ruled on Title Nine about 20 years ago.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, sir, but what I‘m saying now is that these women want that law enforced.

DOUGLAS: It‘s a world gone mad, Gil.

ndsubison1
02-26-2010, 02:16 AM
i dont get it

BisoninNWMN
02-26-2010, 04:02 PM
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Mr. President, militant women are out to destroy college football in this country.

MICHAEL DOUGLAS, ACTOR: Is that a fact?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, sir. Have you been following the situation down in Atlanta?

DOUGLAS: No.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: These women want parity for girl‘s softball, volleyball, field hockey—

DOUGLAS: If I‘m not mistaken, Gil, the courts ruled on Title Nine about 20 years ago.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, sir, but what I‘m saying now is that these women want that law enforced.

DOUGLAS: It‘s a world gone mad, Gil.

Name any women's program besides UCONN and Tennessee BB that makes money.

I bet UNDs women's hockey team loses hundreds of thousands of dollars every yr.....esp when they ave around 100-200 fans/game.

bisonaudit
02-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Just a silly non-sequiter that popped into my head after reading the thread title and getting 9 hours of sleep total over the prior 3 nights.

But, hey, now we know that BisoninNWMN and Gil stand united on Title IX.

RodentiaX
03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't see much possibility of this happening. They could never get the D-I member schools to go along with it. What ESPN thinks doesn't matter much. It's also a flawed idea - how could you take the top 110 teams? It would require wholesale restructuring of conferences. The only way it could happen is if schools wanted to move to I-AA basketball, which isn't going to happen.