PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Bison Baseball

Herd
02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
What are the expectations for this team in 2010? I am expecting a top 4 finish!

The first news of the year, no Straka, doesn't sound good. Does anyone know why he is out in 2010?

roadwarrior
02-24-2010, 12:46 AM
The first news of the year, no Straka, doesn't sound good. Does anyone know why he is out in 2010?

Elbow problem I think Coach Brown said.

lakesbison
02-24-2010, 12:50 AM
season over.

ndsubison1
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Team preview:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204891854

jeffdaryl3rd
02-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Losing Straka, who was far and away the most consistent performer on the mound for them last year is a significant loss to be sure, but they have several good young hitters back and it looks like they may finally be starting to gain some traction as a program. They have a young and pretty productive lineup back, which hopefully will give them a nice core to start building on the next few years and if they can get development out of Wentz and some of their other pitchers as well then they will be sitting pretty next year when Straka comes back. Hard to overstate the value of not being forced to immediately start freshmen either. I think that a top four finish in the league is finally becoming a realistic goal, either this year or soon after, which is a huge step in the right direction for this team. I'm really excited to see what happens once Wentz, Kline, Casper, Straka and Kliniske get to be juniors and seniors. Give 'em hell boys.

jeffdaryl3rd
02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Also, I'm sure this was posted on here somewhere but I noticed that Ekermans is not on the roster anymore. Did he graduate or is there some other reason he isn't with the team anymore?

coldspot
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Also, I'm sure this was posted on here somewhere but I noticed that Ekermans is not on the roster anymore. Did he graduate or is there some other reason he isn't with the team anymore?

at some point last season he parted ways with the team and didnt return this year. not sure what happened to him though. could be back home in SA playing ball.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Elbow problem I think Coach Brown said.

tommy john surgery

TheDoctor
02-25-2010, 05:27 AM
The big question is......did coldspot make the final cut?????? Will there be an epic show down on the field between coldspot vs. cv with lc doing the play-by-play when Mayville comes to town??? ;)

coldspot
02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
The big question is......did coldspot make the final cut?????? Will there be an epic show down on the field between coldspot vs. cv with lc doing the play-by-play when Mayville comes to town??? ;)

coldspot is now a proud member of the club baseball team.

JacksFan06
02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I think that a top four finish in the league is finally becoming a realistic goal, either this year or soon after, which is a huge step in the right direction for this team.

Shouldn't be too hard once Centenary leaves and there's only 6 teams left.

coldspot
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Shouldn't be too hard once Centenary leaves and there's only 6 teams left.

at that point wouldnt it almost be better to switch to a 6 team double elimination tournament?

roadwarrior
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
There are currently 8 teams with baseball in the Summit.

NDSU, SDSU, OU, ORU, WIU, CC, IPFW, SUU

TheDoctor
02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
coldspot is now a proud member of the club baseball team.

Sweet! Will you then be selling programs at the basketball game tonight then? Mike is a good coach. Good luck this season. ;)

jeffdaryl3rd
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I was just looking through the baseball info on gobison.com and two things stuck out to me:

1) Steve Montgomery not listed in the coaches section. Hopefully this is just an omission on the part of the people who put the site together. Anyone know?

2) They are playing five of their spring break games at the Indians' old spring training complex in Winter Haven, FL. Let's put it this way: it was one of the two worst spring training complexes in baseball when the Indians packed up and left two years ago. Some of the lower fields are actually below the level of the adjacent lake and field #2 has a sewage treatment plant directly behind centerfield. Ahh, the memories.

coldspot
02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
thanks doc. unfortunately, i wont be there selling programs tonight.

I was just looking through the baseball info on gobison.com and two things stuck out to me:

1) Steve Montgomery not listed in the coaches section. Hopefully this is just an omission on the part of the people who put the site together. Anyone know?

2) They are playing five of their spring break games at the Indians' old spring training complex in Winter Haven, FL. Let's put it this way: it was one of the two worst spring training complexes in baseball when the Indians packed up and left two years ago. Some of the lower fields are actually below the level of the adjacent lake and field #2 has a sewage treatment plant directly behind centerfield. Ahh, the memories.

1. yes i know, its not an accidental omission. no, i do not feel like i should share why. i will say its not bad.

2. thats too bad. it didnt look all that great in pictures though.

TheDoctor
02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
thanks doc. unfortunately, i wont be there selling programs tonight.

1. yes i know, its not an accidental omission. no, i do not feel like i should share why. i will say its not bad.

Now that you said that, we have to explain, you make it sound bad! :D It really isn't bad though. Mongo officially concluded his time as a coach with the Bison effective after practice yesterday. Mongo was given the opportunity to become full time with the Red Hawks. Essentially, he will now evaluate pitching talent in the off season and have much more of a say in who is brought in to pitch, as opposed to before when he was given a pitching staff on the first day and told to develop them. I think it is a positive move for him as well as the Red Hawks. I certainly don't want to speak for the coaching staff at NDSU, but he will be missed for sure and they were hoping not to lose him. I believe (don't quote me) that Zim will be replacing Mongo. Now, how does a catcher replace a pitching coach? Coach Brown will now coach the pitchers as well as everything else he does. So, your coaching staff for the road trip they left for today: Coach Brown, Coach Pearson, and Coach Zimmerman. ;)

ndsubison1
02-26-2010, 07:19 AM
First series is today with Lamar University of the Southland Conference. One game tomorrow, double header on Saturday, then one game on Sunday. Lets Go Bison!

lcbison
02-26-2010, 04:06 PM

The game will be an epic showdown. Im hope KMAV will have the broadcast for those unable to make it.

Dan Keating is Traill county athletics.

TheDoctor
02-28-2010, 06:23 AM
First series is today with Lamar University of the Southland Conference. One game tomorrow, double header on Saturday, then one game on Sunday. Lets Go Bison!

Let the 1st one slip away today but got the 2nd one. Great come from behind victory for our boys. ;)